UnevenEdge

February 8 schedule: 1/2 hour retraction, Demon Slayer moves to 12:30.

Blatch

Well, there goes my Boruto theory. Oh please oh please, Toonami, don't let it replace Dr. Stone on 2/29! That would be the biggest "F YOU" to everyone who wants a 2020 show on Toonami! Still, I'm glad JoJo's moving up to 2 AM. Finally Fighting Gold will have a fighting chance!

Notice that starting on that day, every hour will have a dedicated theme:

Hour 1: Hottest new shows from FUNimation hour!
Hour 2: Aniplex monster-battling hour!
Hour 3: Shonens that go on and on and on...
Hour 4: The Viz supernatural Power Hour
Hour 5: Reruns involving people as food

Of course this lineup will only persist for 3 weeks before the 11:30 timeslot gets replaced by...something. And I Wonder what [as] will be running at 4 AM? PRIMAL reruns perhaps? I would be surprised, though not shocked, to see Dragon Ball reruns end up in that hour at some point. One other wild card is that a month later on 3/7, [as] must lose an hour of programming due to DST, but what will be sacrificed? Will it be Toonami's reruns for one week only, or will it be (much more likely) the 4 AM hour?

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, there goes my Boruto theory. Oh please oh please, Toonami, don't let it replace Dr. Stone on 2/29! That would be the biggest "F YOU" to everyone who wants a 2020 show on Toonami! Still, I'm glad JoJo's moving up to 2 AM. Finally Fighting Gold will have a fighting chance!

Notice that starting on that day, every hour will have a dedicated theme:

Hour 1: Hottest new shows from FUNimation hour!
Hour 2: Aniplex monster-battling hour!
Hour 3: Shonens that go on and on and on...
Hour 4: The Viz supernatural Power Hour
Hour 5: Reruns involving people as food

Of course this lineup will only persist for 3 weeks before the 11:30 timeslot gets replaced by...something. And I Wonder what [as] will be running at 4 AM? PRIMAL reruns perhaps? I would be surprised, though not shocked, to see Dragon Ball reruns end up in that hour at some point. One other wild card is that a month later on 3/7, [as] must lose an hour of programming due to DST, but what will be sacrificed? Will it be Toonami's reruns for one week only, or will it be (much more likely) the 4 AM hour?

I am never anticipating when Boruto returns. We never had a show on Toonami that was taken off mid-season with the intent of bringing it back before, so this is new territory. You'd think it would be higher priority for them.

Demon Slayer is on a full hour earlier, and everything after that is on a half-hour earlier!! Nice.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Where. Is. My. Fucking. Mob. 2. 

Hopefully just waiting for Senku to take a break.

I’m down for 4am Primal reruns but I doubt they’ll do anything that inspired.

I’m good with this. JoJo moves to 2am and Demon Slayer escapes 1:30am at last.

I’m gonna guess they realized 3:30-4:30 reruns wasn’t panning out.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i find it odd how fire force's departure gives us nothing new and we simply end up losing 1 slot on the block....

could they have gotten their budget slashed?

Maybe but more likely they just haven’t been able to secure a new show yet because the budget just reset earlier this month. SAO was likely a holdover from last year.

Dr. Stone’s season ends in late February and The Promised Neverland ends in late March. If they don’t have a premiere to replace Stone, then there’s actual reason to be concerned they won’t be able maintain 8 premieres this year due to budget cuts.

• Thanks 1

it just seems a little concerning because losing a spot on the block is never a good sign....that's one less premiere on toonami and it's hard not to see that as a bad thing  when that spot's probably not coming back anytime soon

plus if you aren't a major fan of SAO then this news just bums you out even more....having to wait longer for a  new premiere you are interested in

furthermore With several shows on the block having confirmed new seasons it could result in the block feeling a bit stale and samey with the same stuff rotating

that lost spot leaves less room to try something fresh instead of hitting a familiar note

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

it just seems a little concerning because losing a spot on the block is never a good sign....that's one less premiere on toonami and it's hard not to see that as a bad thing  when that spot's probably not coming back anytime soon

plus if you aren't a major fan of SAO then this news just bums you out even more....having to wait longer for a  new premiere you are interested in

furthermore With several shows on the block having confirmed new seasons it could result in the block feeling a bit stale and samey with the same stuff rotating

that lost spot leaves less room to try something fresh instead of hitting a familiar note

... Toonami has shortened and lengthened many times. I'm sure we'll one day regain that half hour.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, elfie said:

... Toonami has shortened and lengthened many times. I'm sure we'll one day regain that half hour.

After they suddenly took 9PM out of freak'n nowhere, I've stopped trying to speculate what hours Toonami will reside in but they seem to have settled into 11-4am pretty well and probably will keep that for a while.

They really spoiled us with 10 premieres in 2019 but 3AM premieres are by no means ideal for any show.

• Like 4

I didn't realize Fire Force was ending so soon.  But it's ending... and being replaced with... NOTHING?  Like seriously?

TOONAMI IS DYING!

No but really, this is really, really disappointing.  We almost always get new shows when old ones leave.  People were looking forward to getting a new show.  And we're getting nothing.  It's concerning, and disappointing.  And @Sketch you keep saying "don't worry, we still have x number of premieres!" but this is like the third time this has happened in a row.  Not good. 

When I read the OP I assumed maybe they got rid of the Attack on Titan reruns or something.  But this?  There was really NOTHING they could have gotten?

YOU HAVE FAILED US DEMARCO!

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

A show is ending and they are replacing it with nothing, and moving all the other shows up.  It's well-known that too many schedule changes messes with ratings, a lesson ASA never seemed to learn.  They aren't going to move all the other shows back again or move a specific show or two to add another show.  That slot is effectively gone for the foreseeable future.

Edited by ben0119

On 1/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Jman said:

So...nothing new.

You know, Crunchyroll’s co-productions are right there.  There is nothing stopping you from going to them and asking for the rights to a show like you did for gen:Lock.

So they couldn't even do that.  The incompetence is staggering.

• D'oh 1

15 hours ago, Sketch said:

Maybe but more likely they just haven’t been able to secure a new show yet because the budget just reset earlier this month. SAO was likely a holdover from last year.

Dr. Stone’s season ends in late February and The Promised Neverland ends in late March. If they don’t have a premiere to replace Stone, then there’s actual reason to be concerned they won’t be able maintain 8 premieres this year due to budget cuts.

Pretty pathetic they weren't able to get anything, whatever the reason was.  But they didn't even try to put a placeholder or something, they straight up removed a time slot.

19 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Just found this.  He didn't mention it at all on his Twitter.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/158243156457

What the fuck does that even mean?  "Programming wanted the slot?"  Sounds like Demarco is full of shit and passing the buck again.

My guess is it has something to do with Adult Swim wanting an hour buffer zone at 5 AM when daylight savings time ends on 3/7-3/8, which would not have been possible with AOT at 5 AM.

The weird thing is that if it IS indeed PRIMAL taking over 4 AM on 2/8, it would get out 4 episodes before going on hiatus unless it's fine to air its finale at 5 AM. We do know Season 2 of PRIMAL is coming soon, but when? 

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What the fuck does that even mean?  "Programming wanted the slot?"  Sounds like Demarco is full of shit and passing the buck again.

toonami lost a premiere slot so Adult swim could get a filler slot for reruns....that's what that means and i think that really sucks

Toonami loses half an hour so adult swim can have a pointless filler spot....

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

"because programming wanted the slot"

"PROGRAMMING WANTED THE SLOT."

!!!!!

First of all, it's at like the dead of night when no one is awake. Exactly how valuable is it!?

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, elfie said:

"because programming wanted the slot"

"PROGRAMMING WANTED THE SLOT."

!!!!!

First of all, it's at like the dead of night when no one is awake. Exactly how valuable is it!?

that's what has me perplexed...it's a dead zone  DST or not  i don't see why adult swim were that keen to suggest toonami boots one of it's premiere slots so adult swim can have a random filler show nobody's gonna watch at that time anyways

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

My guess is it has something to do with Adult Swim wanting an hour buffer zone at 5 AM when daylight savings time ends on 3/7-3/8, which would not have been possible with AOT at 5 AM.

The weird thing is that if it IS indeed PRIMAL taking over 4 AM on 2/8, it would get out 4 episodes before going on hiatus unless it's fine to air its finale at 5 AM. We do know Season 2 of PRIMAL is coming soon, but when? 

That’s a reasonable theory since DST is coming up in March. I hadn’t thought of that before.

But we can see TPN reruns were doing 3:30 no favors and Titan barely made up for that. It’s pretty reasonable to think a free rerun of a comedy would do as well or better at 4am.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Let's not act like that time slot is something to be respected....no network  gives a damn about that time slot and usually just throws random reruns in it's place

anyone expecting anything more than a dead zone at that time is nuts

I mean we’re talking about Adult Swim here. They regularly premiere content at 4am on weeknights.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

That’s a reasonable theory since DST is coming up in March. I hadn’t thought of that before.

But we can see TPN reruns were doing 3:30 no favors and Titan barely made up for that. It’s pretty reasonable to think a free rerun of a comedy would do as well or better at 4am.

So why don't they get rid of one the reruns, as opposed to a premiere slot?  It makes no sense.

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So why don't they get rid of one the reruns, as opposed to a premiere slot?  It makes no sense.

Because they don't like to cut off reruns without finishing them and they probably haven't been able to work out a contract for another show yet because they have only had about three weeks to negotiate that since the budget reset in early January. These things can take more than a month.

Aniplex probably wouldn't be thrilled if they suddenly pulled The Promised Neverland mid-run either. It is the deadest weight, while Attack on Titan at least does better than that. Aside from that, they might like the show and want to finish the rerun and have held off on premiering another show (and having premieres until 3AM) to make better use of the shows they are currently premiering. That is assuming they even had another show they could have replaced Fire Force with.

Can't we all just be happy that Demon Slayer is airing an hour earlier and Black Clover, JoJo and Shippuden get to premiere episodes a little bit earlier as well? I don't personally care if Shippuden is premiering episodes at 3AM but I wouldn't really wish that upon any show. Ya'll are acting like they just dropped a premiere slot from the top-end like losing 11PM rather than realizing they only trimmed off a 3AM premiere (and yes a 3:30 premiere earlier but that was an even more reasonable move).

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ya'll are wig'n out at the probability of Toonami not having 9 premieres anymore and frustrated that it could mean there isn't much space for fresh shows that aren't sequels. Perhaps a visual of how things could pan out would be helpful?

I put this together. I factored in Mob Psycho season 2 and the OVA airing as well as a short break for SAO, another season of Fire Force in the Summer and another season of My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan and Dr. Stone in Fall. The Promised Neverland is also airing in Fall but Aniplex probably wont have that dubbed until early 2021 based on how they handled season 1 and how they handled SAO this year and last year. I also have Boruto replacing JoJo and Food Wars continuing because it has around 70 episodes total.

Basically if they maintain 8 premieres and don't expand to 9 again we are looking at the potential of 5 other single season anime with 11-13 episodes. It would be less if any show is more than a single season of course. And while this season will last until late May, we have no early idea what could replace My Hero Academia until more episodes are ready. If Boruto doesn't come back then they'll probably get another 24+ episode show instead when JoJo ends. There's no guarantee they'll get Mob season 2 this year so that can make another opening.
  • Confused 1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:32 AM, Sketch said:
Ya'll are wig'n out at the probability of Toonami not having 9 premieres anymore and frustrated that it could mean there isn't much space for fresh shows that aren't sequels. Perhaps a visual of how things could pan out would be helpful?

I put this together. I factored in Mob Psycho season 2 and the OVA airing as well as a short break for SAO, another season of Fire Force in the Summer and another season of My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan and Dr. Stone in Fall. The Promised Neverland is also airing in Fall but Aniplex probably wont have that dubbed until early 2021 based on how they handled season 1 and how they handled SAO this year and last year. I also have Boruto replacing JoJo and Food Wars continuing because it has around 70 episodes total.

Basically if they maintain 8 premieres and don't expand to 9 again we are looking at the potential of 5 other single season anime with 11-13 episodes. It would be less if any show is more than a single season of course. And while this season will last until late May, we have no early idea what could replace My Hero Academia until more episodes are ready. If Boruto doesn't come back then they'll probably get another 24+ episode show instead when JoJo ends. There's no guarantee they'll get Mob season 2 this year so that can make another opening.

I believe we may see a normal lineup on December 19th, but no way we'll see one January 26th. While Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend are ripe for marathons, they're definitely not a given, and since 8/31 was one of last year's best performers, almost discouraged.

I also believe War of Underworld Part 2 won't be QUITE that quick, and this time we'll get Fire Force as a true simuldub on July 11th after a marathon of Season 1's last 8-10 episodes on July 4th. I suppose SAO Underworld could also take over that role, but Toonami would have to be extended that night to get all 12 episodes in, and so far an episode of SAO has yet to repeat on Toonami (not counting the infamous glitch in Alicization Episode 6, of course!)

Lastly, I think Dr. Stone reruns are more likely to take over the 8 PM timeslot than 3 AM (it's tame enough, and would actually kick off Adult Swim with something with some e/I value) outside of Toonami, but then again most of them DID get the NYE marathon last year so they'd be 3-peats, and you might be right. I would rather the 3 AM timeslot rotate through reruns of shorter shows like gen:LOCK, Megalobox, and Gundam The Origin (yes, a rerun in the same timeslot as the premiere, LMAO!) before Dr. Stone. And hasn't Season 2 been announced for Summer 2020? Then again, you've got it coming back in December which is rather baffling to me.

Doubling up AOT is an interesting move as we approach Season 4. I guess it would have to be done like that to get all of the rerun in.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Lastly, I think Dr. Stone reruns are more likely to take over the 8 PM timeslot than 3 AM (it's tame enough, and would actually kick off Adult Swim with something with some e/I value) outside of Toonami, but then again most of them DID get the NYE marathon last year so they'd be 3-peats, and you might be right. I would rather the 3 AM timeslot rotate through reruns of shorter shows like gen:LOCK, Megalobox, and Gundam The Origin (yes, a rerun in the same timeslot as the premiere, LMAO!) before Dr. Stone. And hasn't Season 2 been announced for Summer 2020? Then again, you've got it coming back in December which is rather baffling to me.

Dr. Stone is TV-MA. it can't air at 8 pm.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:39 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I believe we may see a normal lineup on December 19th, but no way we'll see one January 26th. While Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend are ripe for marathons, they're definitely not a given, and since 8/31 was one of last year's best performers, almost discouraged.

I also believe War of Underworld Part 2 won't be QUITE that quick, and this time we'll get Fire Force as a true simuldub on July 11th after a marathon of Season 1's last 8-10 episodes on July 4th. I suppose SAO Underworld could also take over that role, but Toonami would have to be extended that night to get all 12 episodes in, and so far an episode of SAO has yet to repeat on Toonami (not counting the infamous glitch in Alicization Episode 6, of course!)

Doubling up AOT is an interesting move as we approach Season 4. I guess it would have to be done like that to get all of the rerun in.

I don't think it's been said if Dr. Stone will premiere in Summer or Fall. I'm thinking Fall but if it's Summer then it can pop back up in July or August. The December premiere was if it started in October. But come to think of it, if Dr. Stone did start in October, they can just add a premiere slot in October or November.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:30 AM, Sketch said:

Because they don't like to cut off reruns without finishing them and they probably haven't been able to work out a contract for another show yet because they have only had about three weeks to negotiate that since the budget reset in early January. These things can take more than a month.

Aniplex probably wouldn't be thrilled if they suddenly pulled The Promised Neverland mid-run either. It is the deadest weight, while Attack on Titan at least does better than that. Aside from that, they might like the show and want to finish the rerun and have held off on premiering another show (and having premieres until 3AM) to make better use of the shows they are currently premiering. That is assuming they even had another show they could have replaced Fire Force with.

Can't we all just be happy that Demon Slayer is airing an hour earlier and Black Clover, JoJo and Shippuden get to premiere episodes a little bit earlier as well? I don't personally care if Shippuden is premiering episodes at 3AM but I wouldn't really wish that upon any show. Ya'll are acting like they just dropped a premiere slot from the top-end like losing 11PM rather than realizing they only trimmed off a 3AM premiere (and yes a 3:30 premiere earlier but that was an even more reasonable move).

They have cut off reruns plenty of times before without finishing them, sometimes never even going back to them.  I remember the thing Demarco said about not wanting interrupt people's story arcs, how someone is always finding a show for the first time yadda yadda yadda.  But does keeping a rerun on longer over premiering a new series make any kind of business/programming/scheduling/viewer pleasing sense?  And budget reset?  They can't do anything to plan ahead for that, for the money they know they will have when the new budget comes?  If it is some thing where they can't make a new deal until the start of the year right then and there that is pretty stupid and seems like a flaw in their business practices and strategy.

I don't pay attention to ratings anymore, so I didn't know Attack on Titan was doing better than Promised Neverland.  They could have just as well switched those two around while they were moving everything else this Saturday, if that were the case, though maybe Aniplex wouldn't be happy with that either.  I haven't done the math or paid attention to when the last season is coming to figure out if this Attack on Titan rerun will finish up to line up with the finale of the series, but that is the only logic I can see with keeping that there, because it will be quite some time before it is finished if they are dead set on airing all the episodes.  So, they either abort the AoT reruns, or get something new when Promised Neverland ends.  Either one won't be too long of a wait.  If Promised Neverland ends and they replace it with yet another rerun, well...  And we already lost a premiere slot to re-air Promised Neverland in the first place.  They are inching and inching the premieres away. 

And yes, the old "they like the show" logic.  Even though we know Demarco and co. probably don't watch the block themselves and would have access to the episodes to watch at any time, even though their job is maintaining a linear broadcast network programming block (insert Palpatine IRONIC,) a show has to be on because "they like the show."  Almost like it's a wubby blanket for Demarco.  This was the same logic that demanded Cowboy Bebop must be rerun endlessly for eons on end.  Yes, we should keep a rerun of a show on because they like it, even if it means losing a premiere.  Makes enough Demarco Sense. 

How is that making better use of the shows they already have?  They moved everything up, which could just as well throw off viewers and cause a decline in ratings, which happened before when they did that with the whole block, at least once.  Did they try that twice?  We have no way of knowing the shows will do better airing thirty minutes earlier, and have precedence that shows viewers don't adjust to such a massive shift.  So really this is a lose lose.

Demon Slayer should have never been airing so late to begin with, certainly not after Food Wars.  Food Wars should have been airing after Black Clover at the earliest!  But they never should have gotten Food Wars in the first place.  And they went right into the second season, so we are stuck with it for a good while, and in undeserved prime time slot, no less.  But I guess Demarco wanted to make sure we had sufficient cultural capital, so we had to see Food Wars to be complete as anime fans... 9_9 That shit should be death-slotted and the albatross buzzkill shambling corpse of a filler-filled shit story that is Shippuden should be canceled, that would solve our time slot shortage.  But it has to continue despite being many years past Japanese or even what would have been American premieres had it had no hiatuses or network switches, when most people who cared have already seen it elsewhere, with a story that had gone downhill a long time ago, with a sequel that failed and got canceled on Toonami, an effective dead franchise (or what should be.)  I guess it remains because Demarco "likes the show."  Remember when he said Naruto was one of the best shonens ever made?  Yeah... -_-

And they did drop a premiere slot.  Fire Force ended and was replaced with nothing.  That slot was lost.  Then they moved everything up.  Go read what Demarco said again.  It would be one thing if a rerun at the end of the block ended and they got rid of the slot it was in, or took off a rerun mid-run and got rid of that slot, but that's not what happened.  I don't know what sort of Jedi Mind Trick you are trying to pull with that.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:32 AM, Sketch said:

Yes, that is a big part of it.  That, and just the fact of losing a premiere slot period.

Do you really think Fire Force's return is a guarantee?  Seems like it has a mixed reception.  What sort of ratings did it get?  I swear it seems like Aniplex dubbed faster than that.  SAO II was on the block before it even finished in Japan.  Alicization and War of Underworld were pretty quick too.  If it hadn't been for War of Underworld's second cour delay, it would be airing dubbed here while still finishing in Japan, too.  LOL Boruto is not coming back.  Demarco's line "I'm sure it will be back at some point."  LOL.  You know how much of a bullshitter Demarco is.  It was the most non-committal thing he could have said without pissing off Boruto fans.  Yeah, Food Wars, good job clogging up the block with that, Demarco.

I always thought 24-26 episode shows or seasons were more common than 13 episode shows or seasons.  Also seems like a lot of shows or seasons aren't even 26 episodes anymore, but 22 or 24.  Feels like a ripoff.  If they don't get Mob 2 that is just another bungle.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:01 PM, mochi said:

they're busy co-producing that Uzumaki anime clam your tits

The resident Chicken Little of the boards telling me to calm down is funny.  And it's a 4-part mini-series.  If they are just 30 minute episodes, that's not much of a show.  And I hope not too much budget is going to it that, that could be put toward licensing new shows.  Not sure how that all works or if the budgets are separate or not, or how much money they get, or how much any of that stuff costs.  But, yeah.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:39 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Is that really true they never reran a single SAO episode once besides for that glitch?  God damn, they reran and marathonned damn near everything else.

Using one or two time slots at the end for reruns I don't mind, but not at the expense of premieres.  And well, they don't really have a "library" like ASA used to have to have more reruns after all the premieres later in the night.  But ASA didn't have nearly as many or frequent premieres, either.  I guess it is a trade-off.  Oh well.

Edited by ben0119

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

The resident Chicken Little of the boards telling me to calm down is funny.  And it's a 4-part mini-series.  If they are just 30 minute episodes, that's not much of a show.  And I hope not too much budget is going to it that, that could be put toward licensing new shows.  Not sure how that all works or if the budgets are separate or not, or how much money they get, or how much any of that stuff costs.  But, yeah.

The budget for original productions DOES NOT affect the budget for acquisitions. They're separate things and with good reason. Making a show is way more expensive than renting one.

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They have cut off reruns plenty of times before without finishing them, sometimes never even going back to them.  I remember the thing Demarco said about not wanting interrupt people's story arcs, how someone is always finding a show for the first time yadda yadda yadda.  But does keeping a rerun on longer over premiering a new series make any kind of business/programming/scheduling/viewer pleasing sense?  And budget reset?  They can't do anything to plan ahead for that, for the money they know they will have when the new budget comes?  If it is some thing where they can't make a new deal until the start of the year right then and there that is pretty stupid and seems like a flaw in their business practices and strategy.

I don't pay attention to ratings anymore, so I didn't know Attack on Titan was doing better than Promised Neverland.  They could have just as well switched those two around while they were moving everything else this Saturday, if that were the case, though maybe Aniplex wouldn't be happy with that either.  I haven't done the math or paid attention to when the last season is coming to figure out if this Attack on Titan rerun will finish up to line up with the finale of the series, but that is the only logic I can see with keeping that there, because it will be quite some time before it is finished if they are dead set on airing all the episodes.  So, they either abort the AoT reruns, or get something new when Promised Neverland ends.  Either one won't be too long of a wait.  If Promised Neverland ends and they replace it with yet another rerun, well...  And we already lost a premiere slot to re-air Promised Neverland in the first place.  They are inching and inching the premieres away. 

And yes, the old "they like the show" logic.  Even though we know Demarco and co. probably don't watch the block themselves and would have access to the episodes to watch at any time, even though their job is maintaining a linear broadcast network programming block (insert Palpatine IRONIC,) a show has to be on because "they like the show."  Almost like it's a wubby blanket for Demarco.  This was the same logic that demanded Cowboy Bebop must be rerun endlessly for eons on end.  Yes, we should keep a rerun of a show on because they like it, even if it means losing a premiere.  Makes enough Demarco Sense. 

How is that making better use of the shows they already have?  They moved everything up, which could just as well throw off viewers and cause a decline in ratings, which happened before when they did that with the whole block, at least once.  Did they try that twice?  We have no way of knowing the shows will do better airing thirty minutes earlier, and have precedence that shows viewers don't adjust to such a massive shift.  So really this is a lose lose.

Demon Slayer should have never been airing so late to begin with, certainly not after Food Wars.  Food Wars should have been airing after Black Clover at the earliest!  But they never should have gotten Food Wars in the first place.  And they went right into the second season, so we are stuck with it for a good while, and in undeserved prime time slot, no less.  But I guess Demarco wanted to make sure we had sufficient cultural capital, so we had to see Food Wars to be complete as anime fans... 9_9 That shit should be death-slotted and the albatross buzzkill shambling corpse of a filler-filled shit story that is Shippuden should be canceled, that would solve our time slot shortage.  But it has to continue despite being many years past Japanese or even what would have been American premieres had it had no hiatuses or network switches, when most people who cared have already seen it elsewhere, with a story that had gone downhill a long time ago, with a sequel that failed and got canceled on Toonami, an effective dead franchise (or what should be.)  I guess it remains because Demarco "likes the show."  Remember when he said Naruto was one of the best shonens ever made?  Yeah... -_-

And they did drop a premiere slot.  Fire Force ended and was replaced with nothing.  That slot was lost.  Then they moved everything up.  Go read what Demarco said again.  It would be one thing if a rerun at the end of the block ended and they got rid of the slot it was in, or took off a rerun mid-run and got rid of that slot, but that's not what happened.  I don't know what sort of Jedi Mind Trick you are trying to pull with that.

LOL Jedi mind trick? It's factual that the premiere slot we just lost was 3AM,. Fire Force was premiering at 12:30 and now Demon Slayer will be.

Moving things up a half hour doesn't usually affect performance much one way or the other, moving a show up an hour might but there's really no telling. All I do know is I saw a decent amount of people relieved that JoJo was even a half hour earlier because it means they can go to sleep by 2:30 instead of 3AM and for Demon Slayer fans who might not care for Food Wars, Black Clover, JoJo and Shippuden, it means they can call it a night at 1AM instead of 2AM. So those folks definitely see this as a win. I don't think that will translate to higher ratings but it does help the moral of the fans of those shows at least.

I'm gonna ignore your opinion on Food Wars because I know you won't have any level of objectivity toward that show but it has done admirably in that 1AM time slot. Initially I thought that maybe that was too early for a show that's first two seasons have been widely available dubbed for more than few years but it proved capable of drawing a sizable audience despite that. I honestly appreciate that an older show that's outside the usual picks didn't have to be buried in the back. It didn't get the immediate spotlight that MHA did after arriving 2 years late but it wasn't banished to the back-end before it got a chance. I think that's good honestly because Black Clover and JoJo didn't need to air any earlier anyway. I don't know what they were thinking with Demon Slayer, they could have easily stuck it at 1AM and moved Food Wars to 1:30 back in October but things worked out despite that so whatever.

Fire Force has done fine at holding viewers from it's lead ins (though occasionally beat by Food Wars and/or Demon Slayer). They might not air the second season but its pretty reasonable to expect they will at least consider it, same with Dr. Stone and The Promised Neverland.

That's true, Toonami does more commonly air the 24-26 episode shows than the 11-13 episode ones though that may have to change because less and less shows are getting that many episodes per season/series.

The acquisition budget resets in early January every year but it's only a theory that they cannot normally negotiate for something they intend to pay for with the 2020 budget before 2020. It would make sense though based on their history of using reruns to fill slots in January. There have been some exceptions of course.

Reruns suck but there's no escape. Welcome to the television business. There have been times when they have cut off reruns mid-run but we both know they don't like doing that. If they replace Neverland with a premiere then we're back to 9 before April. If they actually have a show they could have premiered next week then I don't think there's any harm in holding off on that until Dr. Stone ends and subsequently not force Demon Slayer to finish out after 1AM. And if they do intend have a premiere at 3AM again,  it's also not a big deal to wait until Neverland finishes this rerun before starting whatever show that might be. Sometimes the most sensible choice is for Toonami to give up a slot and with Neverland having only just started and Titan seemingly around because the final season will air this Fall, it made a decent amount of sense to keep both of those reruns on for now and promote Demon Slayer while it's got about half it's episodes left.

I'll level with you Ben. We used to only have 6 premieres and started at midnight so going from 10 down to 8, doesn't worry me at all. Less than 8? I might get concerned, especially if they lose 11PM. I'm grateful to still have 8. It's not gonna kill Shippuden to air premieres at 3AM but it's still a fate I wouldn't wish upon any show. When they started no earlier than midnight the only way they could have more than 6 premieres was to stick one at 3AM but they don't have to do that when they start at 11PM. They spoiled us with 10 last year but it wasn't realistic to think that was going to last. 8 is a lot of premieres. That's at least double the hours of premiere content on the rest of Adult Swim any regular week of the year. I don't want to hear some nonsense about 8 premieres not being enough because it is more than enough. It's freak'n generous and 9 to 10 premieres is beyond generous.

• Thanks 1