UnevenEdge

ONEPUNCH MAN SEASON 2 OCTOBER 12TH! (DEMON SLAYER TOO!)

3ngag3

Man, I didn't think Toonami's awesome 2019 streak would continue after now, but it IS! DeMarco even confirmed some good news. https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/156234620649?utm_source=tw_share_own_ar&shareBy=Clarknova&utm_campaign=ui_v3#_=_

Now I gotta say, yes.... sadly, this season is firmly inferior to the first season, in that they had to get a new animation team at a new animation studio and thus, the animation doesn't even hold a candle to Season 1. Those artists are not at all easy to come by, and it SPOILED us with our expectations. Expect a ton of the more standard animation shortcuts, and I expect a lot of you to just never shut up about it during the episode threads. Thankfully, it's still ONE, and the writing I hear is still funny and griping. I haven't seen Season 2, and I am ELATED that Toonami was able to nab this in light of Hulu's shadow looming over it.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, elfie said:

Man, I didn't think Toonami's awesome 2019 streak would continue after now, but it IS! DeMarco even confirmed some good news. https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/156234620649?utm_source=tw_share_own_ar&shareBy=Clarknova&utm_campaign=ui_v3#_=_

Now I gotta say, yes.... sadly, this season is firmly inferior to the first season, in that they had to get a new animation team at a new animation studio and thus, the animation doesn't even hold a candle to Season 1. Those artists are not at all easy to come by, and it SPOILED us with our expectations. Expect a ton of the more standard animation shortcuts, and I expect a lot of you to just never shut up about it during the episode threads. Thankfully, it's still ONE, and the writing I hear is still funny and griping. I haven't seen Season 2, and I am ELATED that Toonami was able to nab this in light of Hulu's shadow looming over it.

My only gripe there would be the fact that the stuff that he thinks is on the "top 5 most requested" list is usually complete bs and in no way realistic to what actual audiences want to see.

Remember when his top requested list had Fairy Tail and Tokyo Ghoul... years after they had aired. Fairytail was reasonably popular.... but do I really believe that gobs of people were heavily requesting a 2009 show in 2017? Not at all.

I think the last things I saw on his "requested" list were... Golden Kamuy and Banana Fish? I'm sure they're great but no, unless your poll consists of 10 people who are all Golden Kamuy fans I'm not buyin it =P

It really seems like he just uses the "most requested" list to justify playing stuff he was going to play anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jman said:

At this point DeMarco is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks in a post Dragon Ball world.  Hey, OPM was one of the few shows that kept up with DB Super.

They clearly wanna get the sequel season to everything they aired before, along with other big hitters that they can beat their competition with.

• Like 1

From what I know of OPM S2, it's not just a downgrade in terms of visuals but also the material covered, albeit not as much, mostly from the King arc that starts it. I have a feeling he'll be a polarizing character among Toonamites. Really, I think the first season was a fluke miracle that probably shouldn't have happened, and who knows if we'll see anything like it again, but I'm down for its more muted continuation.

Oh, and as for the "we're going to air all of our most requested shows" comment, this bit from DeMarco is worth considering. Perhaps that was a soft confirmation of Mob Psycho S2 and more JoJo's?

• Like 3

The question is: how are they gonna schedule all this good stuff? Is Toonami intruding back into primetime again beginning on that day?

Probably not, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the timeslots they DO have. I'm thinking OPM 11, DS 11:30, Dr.S 12, although DS could get midnight instead.

Meanwhile, at the back of the block, Lupin moves up to 3, MHA to 3:30, AND DBS begins an encore from the start of the TOP at 4 AM.

• Like 1

They could also give up the 11:00 slot and move some shows down. That's not what most viewers would want, but I could see it if only as an admission that nothing could replace DBS. Also, they already have a dedicated slot (albeit outside Toonami) they could use to rerun it if they wanted.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

They could also give up the 11:00 slot and move some shows down. That's not what most viewers would want, but I could see it if only as an admission that nothing could replace DBS. Also, they already have a dedicated slot (albeit outside Toonami) they could use to rerun it if they wanted.

Do we know that? Do we know for sure that [as] keeps the 8 PM hour in October this year? Is that what American Dad airing there Monday-Friday somehow managed to do?

I think it's a lot more likely that they would relinquish 4 AM and let OPM Season 2 directly replace Dragon Ball Super. If anything is good enough for 11 PM, it's OPM. Yes, I know it has never aired there before, but that doesn't mean it's not good enough, as S1 was one of Toonami's last monster hits in 2016 and its encore also performed well. MHA has also aired in that timeslot but it's not happening anytime soon...

3 hours ago, Blatch said:

I'm gonna need a looooooooooootta caffeine tea!

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I can't imagine they'd keep Naked Tin Tin Adventures And Deku's There Too I Guess premieres at the ass-end of the block, especially when they'll likely be getting it only a month after it airs over in Japan.

Not even they're stupid enough to do that!

Aaaaeeeh shyat, I forgot about Pre-Flight again. :/ Oh well I'll just catch it later in the archives on toonami's site.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, elfie said:

That sounds great!

Why did the show have to change animation studios?  I would've thought, especially after waiting all this time, the show second season would have high production values.  Hearing about animation downgrade depresses me.  That was one of the best parts of season 1.  Yeah I will watch it regardless, since I love the story and the characters.  I just hope the animation isn't too bad.  I have known fans to exaggerate with complaints before, so it wouldn't surprise if that were the case here, too.

• Sad 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, Daos said:

My only gripe there would be the fact that the stuff that he thinks is on the "top 5 most requested" list is usually complete bs and in no way realistic to what actual audiences want to see.

Remember when his top requested list had Fairy Tail and Tokyo Ghoul... years after they had aired. Fairytail was reasonably popular.... but do I really believe that gobs of people were heavily requesting a 2009 show in 2017? Not at all.

I think the last things I saw on his "requested" list were... Golden Kamuy and Banana Fish? I'm sure they're great but no, unless your poll consists of 10 people who are all Golden Kamuy fans I'm not buyin it =P

It really seems like he just uses the "most requested" list to justify playing stuff he was going to play anyway.

Fairy Tail is a long-runner, so it would have been continuously airing.  It's really popular, too.  Of course people kept requesting it.  Hell, ASA should have been airing it before Toonami even came around.  Tokyo Ghoul, bafflingly, has a very ardent fan base, who apparently would not stop pestering Demarco until he aired it.  Then when it airs, what we hear from people is how you shouldn't even bother with the show and should just read the manga.  I looked up wiki stuff on the manga, can't say the writing there sounds brilliant, either, even if things are apparently given more time to breathe and be better developed.  Just look up all that Owl nonsense for a sample of what I'm talking about!  I would really like to know how many total requests they are getting and from what sources, though, and if they are even tabulating them and counting them in any way, or just "eyeballing."

Could be troll requests in some cases?  Well, I just looked up Golden Kamuy.  I must have been thinking of some other show.  Banana Fish, not sure.  Don't think people would request that one as a troll or joke.  Like I said, we have no idea of the sample size or how they are even counting them.  Demarco also flat out refused shows before, too.  They said they wouldn't air Panty and Stocking.  Was it because of content, or did Demarco just not like it?  Can't imagine it's any worse than what we saw in Kill la Kill.  He said no to Yugioh.  I like it, but let's face it, we don't wanna skew that young!  And he had remarked to someone who asked him why .hack was aired the way it was, and said something like he wouldn't have aired it anyway, because he hates it.  So don't expect any .hack series to ever appear.  So yeah, just because something is requested, doesn't mean it will air.  It may not make it for content reasons, or Demarco and co. may veto it because they don't like it.

I wouldn't put it past him.  But I mean, a lot of these shows are popular, so stands to reason Demarco would like them too?  That kind of goes against his supposed hipster-ness, though. :P At least he has that ITO CRED.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:30 AM, Jman said:

At this point DeMarco is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks in a post Dragon Ball world.  Hey, OPM was one of the few shows that kept up with DB Super.

So then this means they won't just rerun Super at the front of the block?  Thank Kami.  I was afraid they would do that.  I'd like to think they wouldn't do anything so foolish, wasteful, and lazy, but my confidence in the Toonami crew has been steadily eroded over the past few years.

8 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I can't imagine they'd keep Naked Tin Tin Adventures And Deku's There Too I Guess premieres at the ass-end of the block, especially when they'll likely be getting it only a month after it airs over in Japan.

We still haven't figured out why MHA got death-slotted like that.  Sure, the episodes had been widely seen elsewhere for a while by then, right?  But it wasn't even doing bad!  And even way back there, it was beating just about everything that aired before it!  We had originally theorized it was a political move of pettiness due to the deal Funimation made with Hulu.  But then Toonami got Fire Force, so that seemed to debunk that theory.  Either way, they had definitely better put the episodes at a better time if they get season 4!  Those episodes will be much fresher!

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

That sounds great!

Why did the show have to change animation studios?  I would've thought, especially after waiting all this time, the show second season would have high production values.  Hearing about animation downgrade depresses me.  That was one of the best parts of season 1.  Yeah I will watch it regardless, since I love the story and the characters.  I just hope the animation isn't too bad.  I have known fans to exaggerate with complaints before, so it wouldn't surprise if that were the case here, too.

Industry politics. It happens a lot unfortunately.

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

That sounds great!

Yeah, it's a shame, especially since like elfie said we were spoiled with how insane the first season looked. Like you said it's weird that there was a long wait if they were going to change studios anyway rather than wait for Shingo Natsume and his crazy team to return. It sounds like it's pretty middle of the road looking with the usual cheaper looking shortcuts so we'll just have to live with it, but I expect it will still be a really fun season seeing those characters again as long as we control our animation expectations.

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Fairy Tail is a long-runner, so it would have been continuously airing.  It's really popular, too.  Of course people kept requesting it.  Hell, ASA should have been airing it before Toonami even came around.  Tokyo Ghoul, bafflingly, has a very ardent fan base, who apparently would not stop pestering Demarco until he aired it.  Then when it airs, what we hear from people is how you shouldn't even bother with the show and should just read the manga.  I looked up wiki stuff on the manga, can't say the writing there sounds brilliant, either, even if things are apparently given more time to breathe and be better developed.  Just look up all that Owl nonsense for a sample of what I'm talking about!  I would really like to know how many total requests they are getting and from what sources, though, and if they are even tabulating them and counting them in any way, or just "eyeballing."

Could be troll requests in some cases?  Well, I just looked up Golden Kamuy.  I must have been thinking of some other show.  Banana Fish, not sure.  Don't think people would request that one as a troll or joke.  Like I said, we have no idea of the sample size or how they are even counting them.  Demarco also flat out refused shows before, too.  They said they wouldn't air Panty and Stocking.  Was it because of content, or did Demarco just not like it?  Can't imagine it's any worse than what we saw in Kill la Kill.  He said no to Yugioh.  I like it, but let's face it, we don't wanna skew that young!  And he had remarked to someone who asked him why .hack was aired the way it was, and said something like he wouldn't have aired it anyway, because he hates it.  So don't expect any .hack series to ever appear.  So yeah, just because something is requested, doesn't mean it will air.  It may not make it for content reasons, or Demarco and co. may veto it because they don't like it.

I wouldn't put it past him.  But I mean, a lot of these shows are popular, so stands to reason Demarco would like them too?  That kind of goes against his supposed hipster-ness, though. :P At least he has that ITO CRED.

Yeah, you know I'm quite surprised Fairy Tail never joined Toonami/AS way back when. I wonder if they felt they were too far behind by the time they could have done it, which already ended up the case with both Shippuden and One Piece (while it was on the block) being like hundreds of eps behind. I gotta say I have a lot of fun with that show as a cool regular shonen and usually get into those arcs so I would have watched it on the block.

There's actually a good number of show I expected to make the block that never came like Blood Blockade Battlefront, Psycho-Pass, Tiger & Bunny, and the Ghost in the Shell Arise TV version (like Unicorn and Origin's TV releases of those OVAs). Darker than Black as well, had Toonami been a thing at the time, though AS could have aired it too.

Golden Kamuy is awesome and also has a great dub. Hopefully season 3 isn't too long of a wait. I love that show.

Man, Panty and Stocking would have been godly on the block. KLK was a ton of fun re-watching and reacting to in here with everyone and, just like that, Panty and Stocking would have been a blast.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, it's a shame, especially since like elfie said we were spoiled with how insane the first season looked. Like you said it's weird that there was a long wait if they were going to change studios anyway rather than wait for Shingo Natsume and his crazy team to return. It sounds like it's pretty middle of the road looking with the usual cheaper looking shortcuts so we'll just have to live with it, but I expect it will still be a really fun season seeing those characters again as long as we control our animation expectations.

Yeah, you know I'm quite surprised Fairy Tail never joined Toonami/AS way back when. I wonder if they felt they were too far behind by the time they could have done it, which already ended up the case with both Shippuden and One Piece (while it was on the block) being like hundreds of eps behind. I gotta say I have a lot of fun with that show as a cool regular shonen and usually get into those arcs so I would have watched it on the block.

There's actually a good number of show I expected to make the block that never came like Blood Blockade Battlefront, Psycho-Pass, Tiger & Bunny, and the Ghost in the Shell Arise TV version (like Unicorn and Origin's TV releases of those OVAs). Darker than Black as well, had Toonami been a thing at the time, though AS could have aired it too.

Golden Kamuy is awesome and also has a great dub. Hopefully season 3 isn't too long of a wait. I love that show.

Man, Panty and Stocking would have been godly on the block. KLK was a ton of fun re-watching and reacting to in here with everyone and, just like that, Panty and Stocking would have been a blast.

I thought the long wait was because they were taking all this time to make the second season as epic as the first one with all those great production values and animation.  So I guess the manga is slow release and they had to wait for more material, and that animation team was busy with other projects?  But yeah if we were going to wait this long anyway, I'd rather wait longer and get that same team back, unless there were some sort of company/legal/licensing reason I'm not aware of.

Maybe, I don't know.  They got on with Bleach pretty early compared to Japanese release, didn't they?  They were behind, but not that far behind.  Not sure with InuYasha, but that show probably at a time still when people didn't expect to get shows so fast after they came out in Japan.  Shows could be any number of years, maybe, many years behind when a series aired in Japan, and most fans watching on TV would be none the wiser, and largely protected from spoilers, given that the internet was not nearly what it was back then that is today (and even less so in the 90s) and with the sub watching fandom being more insular and isolated.  I mean, stuff like DBZ and Sailor Moon, etc was waaay behind Japan.  And this was also because of the earlier years of bringing in anime, it wasn't a machine then like it is now, and networks and licensing companies were just bringing over whatever they found interesting, and it wasn't expected for everything to be new, because so many shows had not been brought over yet that were worth bringing over. 

Some people said it was because Fairy Tail was too kiddy, but I'm not sure about that.  I mean in that case it could have gone on daytime TV.  I also thought animation quality might be an issue, but I dunno if that was ever cared about as long as a show was popular enough, it had a good chance it might do well on TV.  It is definitely a shame Fairy Tail got short-changed like that, but it seems to have a decent following nevertheless, at least.  I loved Rave Master, and after re-watching it during the SyFy airing, I read the rest of the manga, which was great.  So since Fairy Tail was by the same author I was very interested in it.  I read the first volume of the manga and liked it, then got side-tracked with other things, and then just decided I would just wait to watch the anime until ASA or Toonami got it.  Well, that was a mistake, one which I won't make again.  I was so sure Toonami would air it.  But since then I'm not going to hold off on watching something if I am really interested, since I missed out watching and discussing a lot of the show as it was newly airing. 

And I have to say I was extremely annoyed when Demarco said at one point that he not even watched the show.  And this was after it was highly requested for a long time.  Gill had, at least.  I think a reason they gave is there wasn't room for the show.  But then when several openings happened and they got other long-runners, it really did come across like they were actively deciding not to air it, or at least putting those other series above it in priority.  They would have been way behind and it has been widely available and watched online regardless, so I dunno'.

I just found this.  It's an old post now, though.  And not sure on the time frame, but it seems odd they aren't bringing up Super?  Not sure if it was already on the block by then or out in Japan yet or not.  But I have to say it would be even more odd for Toonami to air Fairy Tail now that it's almost over.  Then again they are airing Shippuden that is not only over, but hundreds of episodes behind, itself.  But Demarco had said that it's not their goal to air all of Shippuden.  So presumably that means they are airing it to have a dependable crowd pleaser to fill time for a long time on the block, and if they are able to air all of it, that's great, but it's not the end of the world if they can't for whatever reason.  And of course they have Boruto as the "current" Naruto material.  Sad face at the One Piece comment, lol, but it's probably correct, and there is a show I need to get back to watching lol.

Those shows and many others.  Some of those you mentioned and others seem like shoo-ins.  Toonami did at least air Soul Eater and a few other shows that ASA dropped the ball on, more or less acknowledging that they should have aired these shows but Toonami is at least making things right, even if it's well after the fact.  I remember people were upset that Kekkaishi was picked and not Soul Eater, and that Demarco tweet reminds me of that backlash lol.  Eden of the East was the other one people wanted back then.  I think a lot of shows from that era are out of luck since ASA never aired them, but Toonami wouldn't have the room to air all these older shows with still trying to bring in a lot of in-demand newer shows.  I wonder how many good shows we could have gotten if ASA had the kind of output Toonami has during its duration.  I sure would not mind seeing more these types of "should have aired" shows every once in a while, though.  Still again, those shows you listed are more examples of the lesson to not "save" shows for ASA, now Toonami, even though it's a great experience to watch and discuss with everyone.  I definitely need to make time watch more shows outside of Toonami just in general.

When I was thinking of troll requests, I was thinking of the period piece that had comedic homoreotic stuff in it.  It was about soldiers, or something?  Not sure.  But looks like Golden Kamuy is something completely different, so not a troll request I don't think.

I still never saw Panty and Stocking.  Should probably get around to watching it one of these days.  What was the reason why they wouldn't air it?  Content?  Is it really more extreme than Kill la Kill though?  Or because they don't like it?  I still think it's really stupid to not air something just because they don't personally like it, though.  That's not how business works!  Also do they take an internal poll or something, or does Demarco have to like it?  Because I find it hard to believe that everyone working at Toonami always agrees on what shows they like or dislike.  The whole thing is very silly.

Whew, that was quite a tangent I got on. :)

Edited by ben0119
  • Sad 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:27 PM, elfie said:

Gotta say Demarco has lost a lot of confidence and likability points for me over the past few years, but this is something I can wholeheartedly agree with him on.  People act like Chicken Little regardless of what happens with Toonami.  One show pick or any other singular decision is not going to kill off Toonami.  It also gets annoying when people complain about a show getting picked instead of some other show they wanted.  It's not necessarily a case of a show getting picked over something else.  And even if it is, that doesn't mean said show is never coming to the block just because it wasn't picked now.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I still never saw Panty and Stocking.  Should probably get around to watching it one of these days.  What was the reason why they wouldn't air it?  Content?  Is it really more extreme than Kill la Kill though?  Or because they don't like it?  I still think it's really stupid to not air something just because they don't personally like it, though.  That's not how business works!  Also do they take an internal poll or something, or does Demarco have to like it?  Because I find it hard to believe that everyone working at Toonami always agrees on what shows they like or dislike.  The whole thing is very silly.

You already know what kind of show that is. So you'll be fine as long as you keep that mindset while watching.

Edited by elfie

On 9/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, Daos said:

This is all you need to know about Panty and Stocking

AKA the show Vic Mignogna's accusers claim proves his innocence because his two major accusers voice sluts in is, since fictional characters TOOOTALLY prove the REAL WOMEN who voice them are sluts who's testimony can't be trusted

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mochi said:

AKA the show Vic Mignogna's accusers claim proves his innocence because his two major accusers voice sluts in is, since fictional characters TOOOTALLY prove the REAL WOMEN who voice them are sluts who's testimony can't be trusted

Like 90% of ALL Funimation voice actors appear in all Funimation shows.  .... god, idiots.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, ben0119 said:

Those shows and many others.  Some of those you mentioned and others seem like shoo-ins.  Toonami did at least air Soul Eater and a few other shows that ASA dropped the ball on, more or less acknowledging that they should have aired these shows but Toonami is at least making things right, even if it's well after the fact.  I remember people were upset that Kekkaishi was picked and not Soul Eater, and that Demarco tweet reminds me of that backlash lol.  Eden of the East was the other one people wanted back then.  I think a lot of shows from that era are out of luck since ASA never aired them, but Toonami wouldn't have the room to air all these older shows with still trying to bring in a lot of in-demand newer shows.  I wonder how many good shows we could have gotten if ASA had the kind of output Toonami has during its duration.  I sure would not mind seeing more these types of "should have aired" shows every once in a while, though.  Still again, those shows you listed are more examples of the lesson to not "save" shows for ASA, now Toonami, even though it's a great experience to watch and discuss with everyone.  I definitely need to make time watch more shows outside of Toonami just in general.

Whew, that was quite a tangent I got on. :)

LOL xD

Yeah, it was pretty damn great when they went back and did Soul Eater. I also agree it's pretty much too late for a lot of those shows they were just ones that I expected back in the day.

Now they can likely just try to keep getting new things from whichever current season is airing that aligns with whenever they're ready to start a new show looking at Dr. Stone, Fire Force, Demon Slayer and OPM2, and how they recently did Promised Neverland pretty quickly.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 9:10 PM, Daos said:

This is all you need to know about Panty and Stocking

LMAO, yup.

It's another really fun Imaishi show (same director as Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, etc.).

Plus it would have been a perfect reaction show on the boards with all the crazy lines and dirty jokes lmao xD

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1