UnevenEdge

DB Super Marathon on Sept 28th! :O

The1gairon

So I guess this means 130 actually airs TWICE, at 11 PM and 4 AM.

They may be doing this because [as] is losing the 8 PM hour, and this is the only way they'll be able to air 130 again.

Gen:LOCK ends the week before, but it looks like we'll get a break between Episodes 12 and 13 of Gundam The Origin. Not really sure what to make of any of this.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I guess this pushes Slutty Vault Boy Season 4 back an extra week. That's probably for the best, just to get a solid buffer against breaks on Japan's side.

........... My Hero Academia?

At any rate, I may use that free time Saturday night with my guys for some fun instead of in front of a TV for a change.

I should make clear, they are STILL airing a new episode at 11 PM!

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, elfie said:

We have the schedule for the last ep of Super.  DB Super 131 will start the block at 11 PM as usual on October 5th, but after that we're treated to two back-to-back episodes of Dr. Stone, episodes 6 and 7! Gen:LOCK ends before than.

Wait, I thought the marathon was for the finale?  So they're actually doing a marathon the week before?  What?

Boooo!  Yeah, the show is ending, but to do this with no relation to any holiday seems foolish and will derail the block!  Also, what about how they are so close behind Japan with some of their shows?  They want to screw that up and put themselves a week behind?  FOOLS!

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2019 at 1:31 PM, Blatch said:

Finally, another marathon. This is a weird time to do DBS in particular, but it's cool. I can sit on my ass for a weekend and not have to worry about anime. 🤑

Finally, another marathon?  Are you serious?  We'd like to have as little as possible!  FFFFFF--Serenity now!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Boooo!  Yeah, the show is ending, but to do this with no relation to any holiday seems foolish and will derail the block!  Also, what about how they are so close behind Japan with some of their shows?  They want to screw that up and put themselves a week behind?  FOOLS!

they know this is the end of the road for DBS and they are gonna do what they can to make the most of it....because once it's over  the people who typically hate anime will stop watching

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, elfie said:

I wouldn't call two-back-to-back episodes a marathon.

What are you talking about?  They're airing the penultimate episode of Super, followed by a marathon of the episodes preceding it and then that episode again at the end of the block.  Then the week after that they are airing the last Super episode followed by the regular block.  It would make a lot more sense if the marathon was done on the night the final episode aired.

9 hours ago, elfie said:

*dramatic shonen talk and inflection*

Indeed this looks forboding. Can Toonami survive without a new Dragonball show at the front of the block?? Super brought in almost twice the number of viewers that the rest of it got.

It has before and probably can again.  And like CountFrylock said, the people who just watch Dragon Ball and don't care about other anime didn't stay after Super or Kai anyway.  So maybe they can get a show that will have better retention.  Or just have to deal with a smaller audience for Toonami, if Dragon Ball got more people to stay than we thought.  But with long-runners largely a thing of the past, they are going to have to get really creative.  I guess just put whatever they think is their current heaviest hitter at the start of the block for as many episodes of it that they have.

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What are you talking about?  They're airing the penultimate episode of Super, followed by a marathon of the episodes preceding it and then that episode again at the end of the block.  Then the week after that they are airing the last Super episode followed by the regular block.  It would make a lot more sense if the marathon was done on the night the final episode aired.

DR STONE!!!! I'm not TALKING about DB Super at that moment!!! GOODNESS!!

On 9/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, elfie said:

DR STONE!!!! I'm not TALKING about DB Super at that moment!!! GOODNESS!!

But like you said, two episodes does not a marathon make, and I was clearly talking about the Super marathon, which is the topic of the thread, so not sure why you were bringing up the Dr. Stone back-to-back airings.  I had thought episode 130 was the Super finale and they were doing the marathon for that.  To have the marathon for the penultimate episode and not the finale itself doesn't make much sense.  "Hey guys, let's send off Dragon Ball Super with a big marathon! ... the week before the last episode airs"  Ok then.

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

Why would you air the last run of episodes after airing the finale?  The intention is obviously to build up hype for the finale by letting everyone rewatch the big fights leading up to it.

and, uh, the last episode would be best used to lead in to the regular lineup...

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Why would you air the last run of episodes after airing the finale?  The intention is obviously to build up hype for the finale by letting everyone rewatch the big fights leading up to it.

But if that were the case, I'm guaranteed not to see the finale because it would air at 3:30 AM.

15 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Uh... because it's smarter to air the premiere episode at 11PM than at 3:30/4AM? Which is "the sensible thing" like you said, right?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 2:50 AM, ben0119 said:

Also, what about how they are so close behind Japan with some of their shows?  They want to screw that up and put themselves a week behind?  FOOLS!

Come on, Benny boy. You should be happy that they'll only be one week behind instead of three or four. I don't think anyone has the right to complain about marathons, even one at an awkward time, when this is the first one of the year. And for all we know, we might not have any more outside of the last two weeks of December.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Uh... because it's smarter to air the premiere episode at 11PM than at 3:30/4AM? Which is "the sensible thing" like you said, right?

Man I'm so glad people in here are able to string two posts together and follow the thread of a conversation.

Let's try again. Read ben's post. Then read my post.

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2019 at 9:14 PM, Top Gun said:

But the last episode isn't airing the same night, so doesn't make much sense.  It's building up hype during ungodly hours and having to wait a week to watch the finale.  What would make more sense is to do the marathon leading up the final episode, with the final episode airing at its usual time, and then you flow into the regular block.  But Adult Swim wouldn't let Toonami take over all that time and people aren't accustomed to watching Toonami that early.  So since this marathon is a nonsensical paradox that can't make sense no matter what they should just not air it at all! :D

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Blatch said:

Come on, Benny boy. You should be happy that they'll only be one week behind instead of three or four. I don't think anyone has the right to complain about marathons, even one at an awkward time, when this is the first one of the year. And for all we know, we might not have any more outside of the last two weeks of December.

Well they are doubling up on Dr. Stone the following week, so that will be made up for, but Fire Force is still Fire Fucked.  Not sure how far behind Black Clover is with Funi's simuldub or the sub, if they are trying for a similar freshness thing there.

There shouldn't be any marathons outside of December, as it's already been proven it doesn't change anything with Thanksgiving, and every other holiday is more minor than that.

Given that Adult Swim is losing 8 PM on September 30th (and the first Saturday affected is October 5th), I wonder if that may have been the plan at first? A DBS mini-marathon of 127-130 leading-in to 131 would have been an interesting thing to try, especially if it set the tone for Dragon Ball Super airing in some of those timeslots as a rerun, but I guess that was scrapped.

And Fire Force might not be as "Fire Fucked" as you think. An uncorroborated news story on its discussion mentions that it's gonna take a 3-week break in Japan from September 27th through October 11th. If that is indeed the case, the marathon may have been a necessary evil for that show as well:

September 20-21: Episode #11 airs in Japan, dub produced by FUNi NOW; Episode #9 airs on Toonami
September 27-28: No Fire Force in Japan/on FUNi NOW or on Toonami
October 4-5: No Fire Force in Japan/on FUNi NOW but Episode #10 airs on Toonami
October 11-12: No Fire Force in Japan/on FUNi NOW but Episode #11 airs on Toonami
October 18-19: Fire Force returns in Japan/on FUNi NOW with Episode #12, which airs the next night on Toonami!

If that's a stretch, I guess worst-case scenario they can just double-up Dr. Stone again...

• Like 1

Me, seeing the phrase "fire fucked" and then being sorely disappointed: :(

The show's still at extreme risk of being fucked now because they have absolutely no buffer. If Japan fails to send over an episode to FUNi on time, which is a real risk considering how often anime productions get down to the wire, then Toonami has nothing to air the next night. I know MHA could only guarantee the first six episodes of season 3 would be out dubbed same-day, and even though they kept it up for a surprisingly long time after that they still ended up falling behind and had to go on a two-week waiting period. It's much too risky.

I found a source, and while it's very suspicious, I have no reason to believe any of this is a lie:

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/fire-force-episode-12-release-date-delayed-enen-no-shouboutai-anime-tv-broadcast-schedule-hiatus/

So it seems Fire Force actually returns in Japan on October 11th, which revises my projection thus:

September 20-21: Episode 11 airs in Japan, dub produced by FUNi NOW; Episode 9 airs on Toonami
September 27-28: No Fire Force in Japan/on FUNi NOW or on Toonami due to DBS marathon
October 4-5: No Fire Force in Japan/on FUNi NOW but Episode 10 airs on Toonami
October 11-12: Fire Force returns in Japan/on FUNi NOW with Episode 12, and Episode 11 airs on Toonami, so it's effectively one week behind Japan/FUNi NOW when it used to be two. If it gets behind, Dr. Stone can be doubled-up again.

Another interesting note I learned about Fire Force: its timeslot in Japan is "25:25" on Friday nights, which is effectively 1:25 AM Saturday morning (episode 12 is airing 15 minutes later at 1:40 AM). So even though it's a different night of the week, this might be the first show on Toonami since InuYasha: The Final Act to actually get a better timeslot in the U.S. than in Japan. IY:TFA ran between 12:30 and 2 AM, with most episodes airing at 1:30, on Toonami, but aired Saturdays at "26:20," effectively 2:20 AM Sunday morning, in Japan, so it was better in the U.S. by at least 20 minutes, and sometimes even as much as almost 2 hours (110 minutes). Fire Force, of course airs at 12:30 AM, which is better by 55 minutes, and the first 4 episodes aired at 12 AM, or 125 minutes, earlier than in Japan.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Me, seeing the phrase "fire fucked" and then being sorely disappointed: :(

The show's still at extreme risk of being fucked now because they have absolutely no buffer. If Japan fails to send over an episode to FUNi on time, which is a real risk considering how often anime productions get down to the wire, then Toonami has nothing to air the next night. I know MHA could only guarantee the first six episodes of season 3 would be out dubbed same-day, and even though they kept it up for a surprisingly long time after that they still ended up falling behind and had to go on a two-week waiting period. It's much too risky.

Ya gotta stop thinking of Avdol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I know MHA could only guarantee the first six episodes of season 3 would be out dubbed same-day, and even though they kept it up for a surprisingly long time after that they still ended up falling behind and had to go on a two-week waiting period. It's much too risky.

We've known about S4's existence for a while as well as the fact that Funi's dubbing it. Considering it's hugely successful, BONES might be coordinating things so that Funi gets to dub the entire season with no delay. Maybe that's even why it's premiering in October this time instead of April.

As for Fire Force... meh, just resolve this in a timely manner and we'll be fine. Perhaps this break is the very reason why we're having a marathon. In a normal year, their existence usually gives DeMarco and his crew some leeway for simuldubs, but since they've been taking holidays off, they're now forced to do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

As for Fire Force... meh, just resolve this in a timely manner and we'll be fine. Perhaps this break is the very reason why we're having a marathon. In a normal year, their existence usually gives DeMarco and his crew some leeway for simuldubs, but since they've been taking holidays off, they're now forced to do it.

Theoretically, Fire Force doesn't NEED to take a week off, as if it didn't, the closest we would be is an episode airing the Saturday after its Friday FUNimation premiere.

But man, I tell you, if I were Japanese and I were into this show, I'd be PISSED! TWO breaks during its premiere run makes it...like any show on Toonami airing October through December! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1