UnevenEdge

Gundam: The Origin coming to Toonami July 6th

3ngag3

I'll give you that. But I don't think that was revealed as her indelible motivation for the carnage that ensued in Episode 11 until Episode 12, hence still the 2nd half.

And it's at that time that Toonami wisely sank the thing at 2 AM, though it was a feast for the eyes!

Origin will be great though. Just imagine Unicorn visuals with a story that actually makes sense! Music will be a bit different though, since it won't have the Attack On Titan-esque soundtrack of Unicorn and Narrative by Hiroyuki Sawano.

If the schedule stays the same otherwise, and if they're replacing the shows that are ending the week before, Lupin will be at 1 AM, since it's replacing JoJo, and Gundam will be at Midnight, since it's replacing TPN Season 1.

However, it isn't CERTAIN that will be the case, especially in the case of Gundam, since Hunter X Hunter ends June 22nd, and its still-unknown replacement on June 29th WILL shake things up!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:23 AM, Daos said:

The saddest thing about the movie, is that not only did it destroy what could have been the next Star Wars... Chris Roberts himself directed it. 

Supposedly there was massive studio interference and the actors were forced on him with massive budget cuts. He was young at the time with no experience and got steamrolled.

Chris Roberts doesn't need any help to completely fuck a project up.  See Star Citizen.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Chris Roberts doesn't need any help to completely fuck a project up.  See Star Citizen.

It's gonna be amazing you'll see. My descendants are going to play the hell out of that game.

• 3 weeks later...

Come see the brand new amazing show we have for you to watch!

Conveniently located at 3 am for your viewing pleasure.

Super and MHA are almost done, they'd better get serious about lining up some hits soon.

Goblin, Shield Hero, RE Zero, Konosuba, all are dubbed. OPM S2 will be soon I'm sure. Mob 2 is dubbed.

They could just air Fairytail from 2009 and it would dominate pretty much all the stuff they're airing now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

What the hell!?

The Promised Neverland ends next week, and we still don't know what's replacing it! This must be some kind of mistake...

Woah there... how about we stop worrying about the next show and focus on enjoying what's on now? And why would it be a mistake to announce this show's timeslot first?

8 hours ago, Top Gun said:

It amazes me that you people still haven't heard of DVRs.

I'm sure there are many Toonami fans unable to afford one.

I mean, Gundam has never been a ratings powerhouse, but I'm shocked they dumped it to the ass-end of the block right away. If anything, it might get a boost in the ratings thanks to DVRs, but that doesn't solve the timing problem.

The fact that they finally put a premiere at 3 in the morning WHEN IT STARTED, instead of making it either a punishment for being so horrible (GXP) OR because they needed room for newer shows at the front of the block (Hunter x Hunter, Ninja Father and Son hour, and Black Clover), proves that they no longer care about timeslots.

Edited by elfie

18 hours ago, Daos said:

Come see the brand new amazing show we have for you to watch!

Conveniently located at 3 am for your viewing pleasure.

Super and MHA are almost done, they'd better get serious about lining up some hits soon.

Goblin, Shield Hero, RE Zero, Konosuba, all are dubbed. OPM S2 will be soon I'm sure. Mob 2 is dubbed.

They could just air Fairytail from 2009 and it would dominate pretty much all the stuff they're airing now.

They’re airing stuff that’s been on the market for months with relatively little hassle to get to.  What did they expect?

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

3AM, REALLY?  Why even bother?!  You could have gotten us something else instead, Demarco.

23tffn.jpg

Yeah, and odds are it would have flopped on its damn face too.

Fuck that stupid statue.  Live action movie.  I don’t see Fairy Tail getting one of those ever.

Oh, so I guess Lupin will be spared the ignominy of banishment? 

Or is it that they know Gundam will fail so it is being per-emptively banished?

Seems like a waste to get a new show just to banish it.

Also, FT would dominate in the front of the block. Start it from the beginning, have years to air it until new DB is made.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, but if they're doing this, it means they've got a sledgehammer of a show replacing Promised Neverland at Midnight. Rerunning that at Midnight and throwing Gundam to 3 AM would be the dumbest thing ever!  

Or they might just be putting MHA at 12 AM and putting the second Family Guy episode back at 10:30 considering they still haven't announced anything yet (and its getting pretty late in the game to do so).

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Top Gun said:

It amazes me that you people still haven't heard of DVRs.

I have a  DVR, and I'm a night owl, so I'd have no issue watching it regardless.  I just think it's funny that the legendary Gundam would be relegated to 3AM death slot.  Sharing company with Hunter there. >=]

10 hours ago, elfie said:

The fact that they finally put a premiere at 3 in the morning WHEN IT STARTED, instead of making it either a punishment for being so horrible (GXP) OR because they needed room for newer shows at the front of the block (Hunter x Hunter, Ninja Father and Son hour, and Black Clover), proves that they no longer care about timeslots.

Hunter x Hunter was banished for being a failure.  Blah-ruto and Bore-uto are back-end filler.  Demarco thought Boruto would be the new hotness and even moved Shippuden up to run alongside it, but then both got kicked the curb. :D

We're all well aware of Demarco's infamous declaration of wanting to have a Gundam series on the block at all times (LOL.)  Of course that didn't last, and even with the boner for Gundam Demarco has, he knew getting Origin wasn't a wise business decision.  He got it because he wanted to, which is why it's banished to 3AM.  That's best for business!

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Yeah, and odds are it would have flopped on its damn face too.

Fuck that stupid statue.  Live action movie.  I don’t see Fairy Tail getting one of those ever.

How do you know?  There are tons of more popular and relevant anime series Demarco could have picked up besides Gundam.  It's a waste of money and timeslot, even at 3AM.

You act like getting a live action movie is a good thing?  I mean, even if the movie may end up sucking, you could make the argument it speaks to the series' relevance, that Hollywood takes notice?  They'll pick out some random obscure stuff to adapt too, though.

Edited by ben0119

12 hours ago, elfie said:

https://toonami.tumblr.com/post/95555231906/guess-what-hellsing-ultimate-is-coming-to

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

How do you know?  There are tons of more popular and relevant anime series Demarco could have picked up besides Gundam.  It's a waste of money and timeslot, even at 3AM.

You act like getting a live action movie is a good thing?  I mean, even if the movie may end up sucking, you could make the argument it speaks to the series' relevance, that Hollywood takes notice?  They'll pick out some random obscure stuff to adapt too, though.

Sure they’re relevant - Six months to two years prior when everyone has already finished watching!  You can air stuff that was popular two quarters ago but odds are good it’s literally yesterday’s news, or you air it at such a terrible time that when it gets to Netflix it suddenly gains a gigantic amount of popularity that wasn’t present before (like JoJo).  The boat keeps getting missed.  

Let’s use the most popular anime of winter and spring as a good example - The Rising of the Shield Hero.  Odds are good anyone interested in the show that is directly interested in Toonami, i.e.: active fans of the medium has watched it because it was the most popular show on dedicated anime apps.  Toonami will not attract passive fans because of its awful timeslot.  That being said, Hulu and Netflix airings of Shield Hero will attract passive fans because it’s being mixed in with sitcoms and that mini golf reality show (actual thing ABC is airing).

On 6/23/2019 at 4:59 AM, korosu said:

There have been 3 shows/movies that Toonami has premiered at 3 AM since it came to Adult Swim: Beware The Batman, Hellsing Ultimate, and Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Gundam: The Origin would be the 4th. The two series, BTB and HU, eventually ended up getting a boost to earlier in the lineup (though BTB topped out at 2:30 AM), mostly due to good ratings. I'd be surprised if the same doesn't happen for this Gundam show at some point, like when either SAO (3 episodes left) or AOT (rumored to only have 5 episodes left) end. Just because it's beginning at 3 AM may not mean it STAYS at 3 AM. I could easily see Gundam: The Origin leapfrogging over the Narutoverse hour and maybe even Black Clover to land at 1 AM or 1:30 AM once a timeslot in the top half opens up. This could mean we're getting SAO's replacement 2 weeks earlier at Midnight on July 6th, but of course this is awkward as hell because we don't even know what show that IS!

I also believe it's possible that the 3 AM promo gets retconned and replaced with one that mentions it premieres at Midnight or another earlier timeslot (with some shows being moved up). I cite JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders as evidence. At first it was to premiere at 12:30 AM to replace AOT Season 2, but Toonami's entire lineup got shifted forward by 30 minutes so it ended up at Midnight. Now 3 AM to Midnight would be an even bigger retcon but at least it wouldn't be unprecedented!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 4:59 AM, korosu said:

qydvw.jpg

And this time it was actually relevant to the discussion and not yet another reach for Al to come up with an excuse to talk about it!

That said, it was a different time, and a different block.  The block was longer then, packed with more shows, so airing something at 3 or later looks much worse now.  Might have been possible they put it there to easier work around the odd run times?  Everything after Hellsing was reruns.

On 6/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, Jman said:

Sure they’re relevant - Six months to two years prior when everyone has already finished watching!  You can air stuff that was popular two quarters ago but odds are good it’s literally yesterday’s news, or you air it at such a terrible time that when it gets to Netflix it suddenly gains a gigantic amount of popularity that wasn’t present before (like JoJo).  The boat keeps getting missed.  

Let’s use the most popular anime of winter and spring as a good example - The Rising of the Shield Hero.  Odds are good anyone interested in the show that is directly interested in Toonami, i.e.: active fans of the medium has watched it because it was the most popular show on dedicated anime apps.  Toonami will not attract passive fans because of its awful timeslot.  That being said, Hulu and Netflix airings of Shield Hero will attract passive fans because it’s being mixed in with sitcoms and that mini golf reality show (actual thing ABC is airing).

Are you talking about watches as subs or watches as dubs?  Some people will wait for dubs, some won't, some will watch both, others won't care.  Anime is more popular and mainstream now, but I think dubs are still what gets the majority of casual, passive viewers, as you call them.  Only reason I ever watch something subbed first is if it's a show I'm already following and I don't want to wait, but then I'll still watch the dub.  Even then, I almost watched SAO and JoJo subbed after looking into them and recommendations from a friend, before they aired on Toonami, only for Toonami to shortly get them thereafter, so that was pretty good timing for me.  I watched the later seasons of SAO subbed first though, and re-watched the dub on Toonami.  For JoJo I've just been watching it on Toonami.

But yeah we all know Toonami is a day late and a dollar short, Demarco constantly dropping the ball not just with show picks, but when he gets them.  Maybe if he would prioritize what's hot over what he personally likes, like Gundam, things would go better.  Although it's entirely possible they are getting the shows as quickly as they can, I don't know.  Some shows we've seen have had very quick turnaround, like SAO and Attack on Titan.  It would seem they aren't able to pull that off with every show, though.  I know I don't watch a lot of stuff before it gets to Toonami because I don't have time (I have other hobbies besides anime,) or prefer to watch dubbed in most cases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

I'm predicting Toonami goes belly up about a month after Super finishes.

Nah, I don't think so. It probably won't die but it may shrink majorly. DBS evidently has to air premieres at 11 or earlier, since it was technically a rerun when it kicked off the block at 11:30 in 2017, but no other long-running shows on the lineup seem to have the same constraint, so I'd say it's likely it will get pushed back to Midnight.

But MAYBE it won't. SAO, AOT, and MHA are all needing replacements soon, and maybe one of them will be the new show that "saves" Toonami?

Edited by OwlChemist81

15 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Nah, I don't think so. It probably won't die but it may shrink majorly. DBS evidently has to air premieres at 11 or earlier, since it was technically a rerun when it kicked off the block at 11:30 in 2017, but no other long-running shows on the lineup seem to have the same constraint, so I'd say it's likely it will get pushed back to Midnight.

But MAYBE it won't. SAO, AOT, and MHA are all needing replacements soon, and maybe one of them will be the new show that "saves" Toonami?

Either totally dead or reduced to a 2 or 3 hour block =P

52 minutes ago, Daos said:

I'm predicting Toonami goes belly up about a month after Super finishes.

I said that as a joke, referring back to how people used to lose their shit and say Toonami was dying over every littlest thing.  But right now?  It's not looking good.  Do they have any sort of game plan once Super ends?