UnevenEdge

Gundam: The Origin coming to Toonami July 6th

3ngag3

I think it's gonna be a good one! It looks like it will most likely replace The Promised Neverland. SAO-A's and H×H's replacements are still unknown.

Also, mark my words, this will probably be the first Gundam show to ever have weekly topical promos!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Actually, it's a prequel of the original Mobile Suit Gundam!

This does actually bring up an interesting question of when Gundam IBO Season 2's rerun would have ended if it were allowed to have kept going beyond episode #33 on 2/9. In case you were wondering, it would have ended on June 8th, meaning it would have ended a month before Origin began.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Actually, it's a prequel of the original Mobile Suit Gundam!

This does actually bring up an interesting question of when Gundam IBO Season 2's rerun would have ended if it were allowed to have kept going beyond episode #33 on 2/9. In case you were wondering, it would have ended on June 8th, meaning it would have ended a month before Origin began.

So it's an .....

... origin story.

• Like 1

The Origin?

dfg1.png

The Origin manga is a remake of Gundam, but the anime is a prequel to Gundam explaining how the political and scientific situation that arises at the start of the first episode is set up.  Which is fine and dandy except they never remade the actual Mobile Suit Gundam Series!  (That’s probably coming in the form of the Brian K. Vaughan movie).  So you’re airing setup for a movie that won’t be out for at least a year!

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 1

MSG might also get a remake using more "modern" animation. Or Toonami may re-acquire the rights to the 1979 series and put that on after 2 AM at the same time the Hollywood movie is in theaters. That might be a wise move.

I predict MSG: The Origin will likely take the midnight timeslot from Promised Neverland, but it might get inched up to 11:30 once AOTS3 ends for its final stretch of episodes. The X-Factor is Lupin the 3rd Part 5--will it simply take the 1 AM timeslot from JoJo, causing minimum disturbance, or will it "shuffle the deck" when it arrives?

As for the "other" Part 5, JoJo's, it will arrive when it's ready. There are plenty of timeslots left it can take and shows it can replace:

• Hunter x Hunter on 6/29, though that would cause a shakeup.
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization on 7/20
  • Attack on Titan OR My Hero Academia on 9/7
  • Or MSG: The Origin sometime in October if the dub is THAT slow...
Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jman said:

The Origin?

dfg1.png

The Origin manga is a remake of Gundam, but the anime is a prequel to Gundam explaining how the political and scientific situation that arises at the start of the first episode is set up.  Which is fine and dandy except they never remade the actual Mobile Suit Gundam Series!  (That’s probably coming in the form of the Brian K. Vaughan movie).  So you’re airing setup for a movie that won’t be out for at least a year!

They really should remake the main series with this new animation now that Origin is finished! Even though it sadly seems unlikely since they didn't go right into doing it.

Edited by DangerMouse

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Oh yay more Gundam.  And hey it has bitch boy Amuro who I hate yay.

You hate him? LOL

I like a bunch of other Gundam protags more but I don't really mind Amuro.

Anyway, that won't really effect you for this since Gundam Origin follows Casval/Char's (and once in a while Artesia/Sayla's) side instead.

Spoiler

Having watched the OVAs, and I assume this will be mostly a re-cut of those plus occasional short new scenes (like the Unicorn TV edit), you won't really see much of him anyway, since he's still the kid who hasn't gotten the Gundam yet, since this is a prequel.

Spoiler

We'll only see occasional scenes of him progressing or crossing other characters toward where he's going to be by the time of the first ep of original Gundam as Origin gets closer to it.

4 hours ago, Daos said:

Trying to sell the US on Gundam is like trying to sell kids baseball cards after the 90's.

Ok, this is horseshit because Gundam scored a lot of its cult popularity back on...say it with me, Hulu and Netflix.  The cameo in Ready Player One was considered the highlight of the damn film.  There is a market for that live action movie.

This isn’t Tenchi Muyo or Wing Commander.

• Like 1

Having tiny niche popularity isn't really being popular.

Mechwarrior is probably bigger in the US than Gundam.

"I recall several Cartoon Network execs admitting that even though they, personally, enjoy Gundam shows, it simply wasn't economically feasible for them to continue broadcasting them."

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Having tiny niche popularity isn't really being popular.

Mechwarrior is probably bigger in the US than Gundam.

"I recall several Cartoon Network execs admitting that even though they, personally, enjoy Gundam shows, it simply wasn't economically feasible for them to continue broadcasting them."

I do like dunking on Mechwarrior, so let’s dunk on Mechwarrior.

Mechwarrior is a tabletop RPG that is a niche product of a niche product since the only people who play tabletop RPG’s are hipster CalArts grads that reference it in their shows despite no one giving a flying fuck.  Does anyone even know what the fuck it’s about?  No, because most people know Mechwarrior for STEALING designs from anime and then getting sued and LOSING.

They had all of ONE attempt at something beyond smelly tabletop sessions and mediocre video games that made one pine for Titanfall to be invented, a syndicated cartoon show that didn’t last past one damn season.

As for Gundam, economically feasible?  You mean in 2008 when they didn’t air 00 because SyFy got it and aired it instead?  Or how IBO and Unicorn did a shitload better on Hulu and Netflix like JoJo?

Or again, this?

Don’t see anything from Mechwarrior, do you?  Like, in anything?!  No one mentioned Mechwarrior in Archer, did they?

My point is, fuck Mechwarrior.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

You hate him? LOL

Anyway, that won't really effect you for this since Gundam Origin follows Casval/Char's (and once in a while Artesia/Sayla's) side instead.

Reveal hidden contents

Having watched the OVAs, and I assume this will be mostly a re-cut of those plus occasional short new scenes (like the Unicorn TV edit), you won't really see much of him anyway, since he's still the kid who hasn't gotten the Gundam yet, since this is a prequel.

Hide contents

We'll only see occasional scenes of him progressing or crossing other characters toward where he's going to be by the time of the first ep of original Gundam as Origin gets closer to it.

The only Gundam series I've liked so far were G Gundam and the first season of IBO.  IBO season 2 really shat the bed.  Most other Gundam series have a crybaby protagonist and/or some cheesy and pretentious preaching.  One series even has fighters from opposite sides falling in love. 9_9

Well that's good, then.

Spoiler

My favorite part was still the movie where Amuro and everyone else died. :D

4 hours ago, Jman said:

I do like dunking on Mechwarrior, so let’s dunk on Mechwarrior.

Mechwarrior is a tabletop RPG that is a niche product of a niche product since the only people who play tabletop RPG’s are hipster CalArts grads that reference it in their shows despite no one giving a flying fuck.  Does anyone even know what the fuck it’s about?  No, because most people know Mechwarrior for STEALING designs from anime and then getting sued and LOSING.

They had all of ONE attempt at something beyond smelly tabletop sessions and mediocre video games that made one pine for Titanfall to be invented, a syndicated cartoon show that didn’t last past one damn season.

As for Gundam, economically feasible?  You mean in 2008 when they didn’t air 00 because SyFy got it and aired it instead?  Or how IBO and Unicorn did a shitload better on Hulu and Netflix like JoJo?

Or again, this?

Don’t see anything from Mechwarrior, do you?  Like, in anything?!  No one mentioned Mechwarrior in Archer, did they?

My point is, fuck Mechwarrior.

Gotta say I had no interest in Ready Player One.  Wreck-it Ralph was a good videogame movie with references, though.  Ready Player One just seemed like a really cliche concept and story with tons of references and cameos thrown in for the sake of it and a cgi fuckfest.  That shot with all the cars on the the Hot Wheels-ass looking tracks?  Really?  Hard to take serious.

That and the last of the true mega-nerds.  Anime is semi-mainstream and acceptable now, but tabletop gamers are still lepers, right?  Pretty sure that's the last of "geek culture" (I hate that term) that hasn't gone mainstream.

You know what's hilarious, is I remember my friend telling me years ago how Battletech fans apparently accused Robotech of ripping off Battletech? :D I had no idea about this!  https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-harmony-gold-lawsuit  :D

I was always under the impression that Gundam made a big splash on the original Toonami (and I remember toys and model kits being all over ToyFare and other magazines, and in stores,) but then fizzled out and went niche.  It is true that it continued to air for a while longer I guess.  Wasn't there a big hiatus though, due to Sunrise being difficult to work with?

Edit - Watched clip.  The Gundam and MechaGodzilla should be way bigger than that.  Characters look stupid.  Obvious cgi is obvious.  Unless it's supposed to look like a videogame?  Because it doesn't look real.

Edited by ben0119

When the dub didn’t pop up on CR it did give me the inclination that Toonami would air the TV cut of The Origin.

I enjoyed the OVAs that I saw, particularly compared to Unicorn.

Two old man anime picks back to back? Probably not a good call but we’ll see how it goes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

You hate him? LOL

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

the only terrible gundam protag is Kamille.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

When the dub didn’t pop up on CR it did give me the inclination that Toonami would air the TV cut of The Origin.

I enjoyed the OVAs that I saw, particularly compared to Unicorn.

Two old man anime picks back to back? Probably not a good call but we’ll see how it goes.

Where are you getting this idea? Oh, not back-to-back on the schedule but back-to-back in announcements. If the lineup is not shuffled, Gundam will be at midnight and Lupin at 1. But you're missing the elephant in the room: Hunter x Hunter ends between the two on 6/22 with the open timeslot on 6/29, and apparently they can't announce its replacement yet. If it's something new, there HAS to be a shakeup. Since it comes curiously in-between two "Old-man" anime picks, it seems it almost has to be something hot and new. If we're talking Viz, JoJo Part 5 would probably fit the bill, but that's ironically another "old-man" anime!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jman said:

Everyone knows Judau was better.

i almost feel like ZZ isn't worth my time but even so. Judau didn't spend all his time throwing fucking tantrums about people taking him seriously and trying too hard to prove he was "macho" with psychopathic behavior, and so, beats out Kamille.

15 hours ago, Jman said:

Ok, this is horseshit because Gundam scored a lot of its cult popularity back on...say it with me, Hulu and Netflix.  The cameo in Ready Player One was considered the highlight of the damn film.  There is a market for that live action movie.

This isn’t Tenchi Muyo or Wing Commander.

Thankfully. I actually liked Tenchi and Wing Commander.

41 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i almost feel like ZZ isn't worth my time but even so. Judau didn't spend all his time throwing fucking tantrums about people taking him seriously and trying too hard to prove he was "macho" with psychopathic behavior, and so, beats out Kamille.

I always felt the second half of ZZ was pretty good.  The first half...yeah.

The saddest thing about the movie, is that not only did it destroy what could have been the next Star Wars... Chris Roberts himself directed it. 

Supposedly there was massive studio interference and the actors were forced on him with massive budget cuts. He was young at the time with no experience and got steamrolled.

10 hours ago, Daos said:

The saddest thing about the movie, is that not only did it destroy what could have been the next Star Wars... Chris Roberts himself directed it. 

Supposedly there was massive studio interference and the actors were forced on him with massive budget cuts. He was young at the time with no experience and got steamrolled.

I believe a reviewer had an apt quote -

“Freddie Prinze Jr. couldn’t command wings at a KFC!”

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Where are you getting this idea? Oh, not back-to-back on the schedule but back-to-back in announcements. If the lineup is not shuffled, Gundam will be at midnight and Lupin at 1. But you're missing the elephant in the room: Hunter x Hunter ends between the two on 6/22 with the open timeslot on 6/29, and apparently they can't announce its replacement yet. If it's something new, there HAS to be a shakeup. Since it comes curiously in-between two "Old-man" anime picks, it seems it almost has to be something hot and new. If we're talking Viz, JoJo Part 5 would probably fit the bill, but that's ironically another "old-man" anime!

I meant announcements but I do think they will probably air back to back. SAO might shift up since it will end sooner and it’s better to pair with Attack on Titan.

I think HxH will just be replaced by a rerun but if it isn’t then they might do double up Shippuden a week so they can start two shows on July 6th. Making a big change on the 29th and then another on July 6th would be obnoxious though I suppose it’s not improbable.

• Thanks 1

I’ll say this much as well.  The Origin manga is very good.  It updates the original series in a way that feels fresh, excising the older tropes of the original series and some of the outright cringe from Tomino’s novels.  

Which is why it’s a shame the actual series isn’t adapted yet.  Still calling the movie will be based on The Origin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jman said:

I believe a reviewer had an apt quote -

“Freddie Prinze Jr. couldn’t command wings at a KFC!”

Hah!

Even then they should have known you don't cast that guy as the lead in any serious movie.

28 minutes ago, Daos said:

Hah!

Even then they should have known you don't cast that guy as the lead in any serious movie.

Probably why he ended up (true story) writing for the WWE for a few years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jman said:

I read about that many years ago. He said they just kept him on payroll and didn't use any of his ideas. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jman said:

To be fair, being a writer for WWE is like playing darts with a Vincent Kennedy McMahon sized board and praying that when you do hit said board, a giant flashing screen will pop out of his head that says 'APPROVED'

• Like 2