UnevenEdge

Thundercats returns...kinda

Jman

14 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I worked in a Walmart toy section from 2011-13 and I remember us having boxes of leftover Thundercat toys. I think most of them were some kind of Panthro's car playset thing, but my memory's pretty fuzzy on the exact items. I'd put dozens of them on the clearance shelves and I think we sold a grand total of two of them. I'm pretty sure by the time I left that job there was still an entire pallet of unwanted Thundercat toys shoved in a corner of the back room.

Also this entire thread is cringy as fuck, y'all.

I looked. :( Especially at WalMart since I figured if anyone was going to have franchised toy garbage by the ton, it would be the same place where you can get cheesecake and truck tires. It's like there wasn't a single toy any where until after it had been cancelled. I think I saw a couple of things wedged in the clearance section of a Toys R Us but nothing of note at all. Poor planning all around.

3 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Our ASMB / UEMB community has generally, with a couple of exceptions, far moved past the whole death threat / threat of physical harm shit that used to plague most arguments at ASMB. Apparently the Internet as a whole still has a long ways to go.

Yeah, really. Death threats are just pathetic.

If you have to be all roar over roar, state simply that you hate the look, you have no intention of watching it and you'll be encouraging all your friends both with and without kids to skip the eyesore. And then follow through. Simple. 

Personally, I highly doubt I'll see a single of episode of this. It has no appeal to me as it's been presented and it's creative team is lead by a dude who said he hated the original series. As someone already pointed out, if he was watching it when it was first airing, he was like 4 and that would have meant he wouldn't have understood it and would have been pissed that it was on instead of Muppet Babies or Duck Tales or something similarly bright colored and simple. Why would you spend your time and energy re-doing something you hated? That would be like me saying 'Gee, I hate the hell out of giant flying fighting robots in space opera shows. Put me in charge of the next Gundam series! I have metallic paint and finger puppets that would look absolutely fantastic in it!' It's a waste of my time and energy and an insult to people who actually like those giant flying fighting robots in space opera shows. 

• Like 3

He would have been 4... for the final season. He would have been Zero years old when it started.

So I just question how strongly he hated something at zero years old. It sounds like he watched it years later when he was well past the intended age and was like WOW this sucks! So corny!

Here's the TTG esque remake I'm waiting for. Genocide can be funny!

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

For the record, it's been pointed out multiple times in the thread that the guy who said he hated the original when he was a kid has nothing to do with the new reboot.

Semi-my bad. I did go back and check again. I'll blame the horrible heat and a summer cold. <.< >.> It must have been in my head somewhere though because I used Muppet Babies and Duck Tales as examples and that dude works for Disney. :D 

But my general feeling and comment still remain relatively intact. I wouldn't waste my time rebooting something I hated as a child. And I can honestly say I wouldn't cheerlead for a reboot of something I'm on the record as saying I hated as a child either because I'd be the last person you could trust for that opinion. I could be sincere in backing a college buddy or I could be dancing gleefully because hated show is being turned into chibi kibbles. It's the internet, both could be correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

He would have been 4... for the final season. He would have been Zero years old when it started.

So I just question how strongly he hated something at zero years old. It sounds like he watched it years later when he was well past the intended age and was like WOW this sucks! So corny!

Here's the TTG esque remake I'm waiting for. Genocide can be funny!

I could be a jerk and point out that show is pretty much Gundam, but it was supposed to be pretty good regardless of that fact.

Believe it or not, at the end of its run they started doing Robotech tie ins with the toys. The final episode was setting up a new conflict with an unknown enemy believed to be something from Robotech. So Robotech, not Gundam =P

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playmates-Exo-Squad-Robotech-Zentraedi-Tactical-Battlepod-Boxed-Complete/142778581097?hash=item213e444069:g:2CwAAOSwX61ZC0Cx

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

For the record, it's been pointed out multiple times in the thread that the guy who said he hated the original when he was a kid has nothing to do with the new reboot.

Yes but this guy who isn't even working on the show just managed to damage the new show beyond belief by being an idiot. You don't want to be on the side of insulting beloved 80's cartoons. We know they weren't very good now. People don't take kindly to stuff they liked when they were kids being trashed. Especially over something that looks undeniably shitty like Roar.

The original He-Man sucked hard and when I was a kid I loved every second of it.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Our ASMB / UEMB community has generally, with a couple of exceptions, far moved past the whole death threat / threat of physical harm shit that used to plague most arguments at ASMB. Apparently the Internet as a whole still has a long ways to go.

Wait people in the community came up with something even beyond that?!  What could possibly be worse?  Oh, you meant...

I think it's only because the offenders got BANISHED THE SHADOW REALM.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:46 AM, Daos said:

A lot of the criticisms are on point. Fans at the time seemed very lukewarm on it. They were expecting something more in keeping with the original story, where 6 survivors of the planet Thundera crash on Third Earth and encounter all the different lifeforms there. Ironically Roar is actually going to use that story.

They didn't really like a lot of the characters either if I remember right. In terms of story it was better than the original, but the original was just a monster of the week show with no real story most of the time.

What is the point of making another show if it's going to be the exact same thing?  I personally preferred the different take the new series took.  Especially nixing the stupid boy in man's body thing, instead simply having Lion-O as a young king not ready for the job.  But it is similar, Thundera is a Kingdom in the new series and it gets destroyed.  Having more cats survive allows for more storytelling opportunities.  Besides, you can't repopulate an entire species with so few remaining, and with only 2 females.  What the hell was the end game, realistically, the old show?  Also the whole "Third Earth" thing was never explained.  Yup Roar is going to be honoring the original more closely LOL.  Wonder how they will address the whole near extinction thing?

Story is definitely better, and even the episodic episodes were great, like the one with the plant people.  It was brilliant.  You and I must have been hanging around different people because most of the people I knew online and off seemed to enjoy it.  As far as characters, Tygra is a bit of a douche though, and Cheetarah a cat-tease.  Poor Lion-O couldn't catch a break!

Well whats the point of making 500 incarnations of Superman where Krypton blows up and he gets sent to earth by his parents? Generally you don't mess with an established backstory. Batman's parents always die. Bruce Banner always gets hit by gamma radiation. Peter Parker always gets bit by a spider.

Thundercats were aliens whose planet was destroyed and they fled and found our Earth... a post apocalyptic version of it. That was the backstory. Some people weren't happy about the change, I was fine with it.

Third Earth... well....  it probably refers to different ages of Earth. Mumm-Ra states that he has been aware of the Eye of Thundera for 1000 years, a time when Third Earth was still called First Earth. They never touch on the issue again.

OMG xDxDxDxDxDxD

Okay, wait... xDxDxDxDxDxD

Okay, think I finally got that out of my system. Ha ha ha. Seriously though, if they're gonna actually do this they shouldn't even bother pretending and just call it Thundercats Ho! instead of roar. I mean it's so freaking obvious what this is derivative of. I love TTG, but this is too much. I really hope this what I can only call a parody remake doesn't succeed. That said, I'll probably still check it out, but are they serious that they seriously want us to think that this show is gonna seriously try and have some serious action stuff in it? Seriously? No seriously?! xDxDxDxDxDxD

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:24 PM, Daos said:

20 minute Johnson rant

LOL!  That was glorious! :D

Man, ya know, I was trying to find some good rant videos on this, and most I came across were idiots ranting about SJW nonsense, for some baffling reason.  What the FUCK does this have to SJWs?  As soon as someone utters cringey-ass retarded buzzwords like "cuck" and "soy," I write them off.  Take them about as seriously a flat earthers.  I swear, the anti-SJWs are almost as bad as the SJWs at this point.

But, this guy called the people running Toonami idiots and goons, too?  I gotta see his Toonami videos! xD

Edited by ben0119

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Well whats the point of making 500 incarnations of Superman where Krypton blows up and he gets sent to earth by his parents? Generally you don't mess with an established backstory. Batman's parents always die. Bruce Banner always gets hit by gamma radiation. Peter Parker always gets bit by a spider.

Thundercats were aliens whose planet was destroyed and they fled and found our Earth... a post apocalyptic version of it. That was the backstory. Some people weren't happy about the change, I was fine with it.

Third Earth... well....  it probably refers to different ages of Earth. Mumm-Ra states that he has been aware of the Eye of Thundera for 1000 years, a time when Third Earth was still called First Earth. They never touch on the issue again.

Right, but it's the same basic concept.  Only Thundera is a Kingdom and it's destroyed.  Lion-O is forced into the role of King before he is ready for it, has to grown into it.  He's fighting to restore the kingdom and give his people a home to live in again.  I just don't see what the end game is in the old show when the planet is destroyed and everyone's already dead.  That's alright.  I prefer the new origin myself.

I think I've heard that before and questioned it.  But now I really do.  A 1000 years doesn't sound like a long enough time to go through two whole other eras, or for the planet's environment to change as much as it has and become populated with weird creatures.  Also it was never called "First Earth."  But maybe that's kinda how like World War I was never called that at the time it happened. :P Should have never touched it in the first place and just have this planet be completely made up. :P Not to mention the bad guys being called "mutants" when they are simply animal people themselves, just like the ThunderCats.  In the 2011 version, everyone is from the same planet and they're all animal people, makes more sense.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:25 AM, elfie said:

For one thing, I do not link to the mobile versions of the pages.

Also, Polgar is one of the best action animators I know of today! Here's some of his OWN work, so you can look at them and cry that we can't get something this good looking. 

Kinda hard when you are on a phone.  Guess I could manually change the URL.

Don't recognize most of this. 

But Korra huh?  Never did get around to watching that or Avatar.  I heard good things, but by then, Avatar was already under way and I didn't want to jump into the middle of it.  By that time I was in the habit of not watching Nickelodeon because it was showing nothing but crap for years, and certainly would have never thought they'd make a show like that.  But learning Dave Filoni worked on those shows, the man behind Clone Wars and Rebels, makes me want to check it out even more.

I find it hard to believe this Polgar fellow worked on Space Dandy.

Anyway like I said earlier, if it's like the OP (which was outsourced to Japan, so doubtful the show will be like that,) it may be animated well, but who cares if the art style and character design looks like crap.

Edited by ben0119

On 5/21/2018 at 5:49 PM, katt_goddess said:

Oye. I watch Agents of SHIELD. I also watch Gotham, The Gifted, and Inhumans.

It's like an almost daily morphine drip. :D 

I watched the first episode of Agents of SHIELD and that was it.  It's basically a Marvel-flavored cop show.  Who wants to watch a Marvel show with no Superheroes?  Same for Gotham.  It's a Batman show with no Batman.  What's the point?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 11:37 PM, Blatch said:

Yeah, because I made the mistake of posting while angry. At least the mods deleted it, but then again, I basically begged them to.

And being political on social media isn't really a bad thing to do at this point, if only because the current political climate basically requires it. Just look at DeMarco's feed; you might also see his likes if you follow him, which only makes it stronger.

Oh no, you only risk alienating your fans, viewers, customers. :|

Also no one cares what celebrities think as far as politics.  This was even polled.

I wonder if Demarco is going into convulsions over his lord and savior Kanye being a Trump supporter, though? xD

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Right, but it's the same basic concept.  Only Thundera is a Kingdom and it's destroyed.  Lion-O is forced into the role of King before he is ready for it, has to grown into it.  He's fighting to restore the kingdom and give his people a home to live in again.  I just don't see what the end game is in the old show when the planet is destroyed and everyone's already dead.  That's alright.  I prefer the new origin myself.

I think I've heard that before and questioned it.  But now I really do.  A 1000 years doesn't sound like a long enough time to go through two whole other eras, or for the planet's environment to change as much as it has and become populated with weird creatures.  Also it was never called "First Earth."  But maybe that's kinda how like World War I was never called that at the time it happened. :P Should have never touched it in the first place and just have this planet be completely made up. :P Not to mention the bad guys being called "mutants" when they are simply animal people themselves, just like the ThunderCats.  In the 2011 version, everyone is from the same planet and they're all animal people, makes more sense.

Mumm-Ra said it was called First Earth a thousand years ago. YOU DOUBT MUMM-RA??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I watched the first episode of Agents of SHIELD and that was it.  It's basically a Marvel-flavored cop show.  Who wants to watch a Marvel show with no Superheroes?  Same for Gotham.  It's a Batman show with no Batman.  What's the point?

Agents of SHIELD was Marvel's way to introduce and build a base for inhumans on Earth as well as to make the whole Marvel universe interconnected [ex. there were news stories playing in the background of this recent season that were from the Infinity War movie if you knew what you were looking at] . There was supposed to be an Inhumans movie but they went with the series instead which only started to touch on inhumans on Earth, seemed disconnected with the stuff established so far with Agents and I guess has been cancelled. -.-;

Gotham is all about the growth of things. It didn't start out with Batman or Villains but it now has both either in noticeable fledgling form [they haven't embraced a 'name' yet] or fully formed [ex. Riddler is Riddler] . 

And, end game of original ThunderCats [as vaguely remembered] - the royal family ship wasn't the only one that made it safely away from the dying planet, it was the one that ended up going the farthest away before finding a place to crash. The damage to the controls and Jaga's age likely contributed to the fact that they went so far and couldn't make contact with any other survivors. A small but sustainable colony of Thunderians had managed to find another planet at some point between Thundera and Third Earth and there were also some that had been captured and were being used as slaves by the 'elites' originating from the Moons of Plunn-darr. Eventually the ones on Third Earth were alerted to the existence of the others by the discovery of three new Cats that they liberated from the moon mutant types when they all showed up on Third Earth, freed Third Earth of it's current ruling evil once and for all, were able to finally finish space-safe ships fast enough to make it to the new colony, and rebuild it as New Thundera. 

On 5/21/2018 at 6:49 PM, katt_goddess said:

Oye. I watch Agents of SHIELD. I also watch Gotham, The Gifted, and Inhumans.

It's like an almost daily morphine drip. :D 

Nice, I watch them too. Also Krypton was surprisingly good.

I love AoS and Gotham and really liked the first season of The Gifted.

35 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Yeah for early 80s television animation that was quite impressive. ThunderCats was likely a very expensive show to produce back then. It makes He-Man look like such garbage in comparison.

From what I understand they specifically sought out Japanese studios to cut costs, as opposed to He-Man, which had a very expensive cost because everyone was US Union.

Also they did the same thing Transformers did where they got a talented Hollywood get to do a supporting role (In this case Earl Hyman, best know as Grandpa Huxtable on The Cosby Show, before everyone realized what a creep Bill was).

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 4:15 PM, Sketch said:

Not flash games per say but mobile games have diminished people’s interest in owning consoles a fair bit. That’s a closer comparison. On the other hand, movies have lost steam to console games which are like interactive movies.

most mobile games act as a parasite that leeches off your smartphone's battery

no joke a lot of mobile games are notorious energy hogs

4 hours ago, Daos said:

I watched a few episodes of Black Dynamite and didn't think it worked it all, none of the jokes landed for me. Except maybe the Michael Jackson "Jamon" thing.

Same.  Which sucked because the movie was so funny.

Don’t forget Season 2, where they got Based Trigger to animate the opening...and nothing else.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:04 PM, katt_goddess said:

Agents of SHIELD was Marvel's way to introduce and build a base for inhumans on Earth as well as to make the whole Marvel universe interconnected [ex. there were news stories playing in the background of this recent season that were from the Infinity War movie if you knew what you were looking at] . There was supposed to be an Inhumans movie but they went with the series instead which only started to touch on inhumans on Earth, seemed disconnected with the stuff established so far with Agents and I guess has been cancelled. -.-;

Gotham is all about the growth of things. It didn't start out with Batman or Villains but it now has both either in noticeable fledgling form [they haven't embraced a 'name' yet] or fully formed [ex. Riddler is Riddler] . 

And, end game of original ThunderCats [as vaguely remembered] - the royal family ship wasn't the only one that made it safely away from the dying planet, it was the one that ended up going the farthest away before finding a place to crash. The damage to the controls and Jaga's age likely contributed to the fact that they went so far and couldn't make contact with any other survivors. A small but sustainable colony of Thunderians had managed to find another planet at some point between Thundera and Third Earth and there were also some that had been captured and were being used as slaves by the 'elites' originating from the Moons of Plunn-darr. Eventually the ones on Third Earth were alerted to the existence of the others by the discovery of three new Cats that they liberated from the moon mutant types when they all showed up on Third Earth, freed Third Earth of it's current ruling evil once and for all, were able to finally finish space-safe ships fast enough to make it to the new colony, and rebuild it as New Thundera. 

Agents of SHIELD was billed as a show about average everyday people who live in a world with superheroes.  What happens after some big battle destroys buildings etc.  I watched the first ep and I'm like yeah why would I want to watch that?  From what I can tell, it didn't connect to the MCU at all, nor do the Marvel Netflix series, for some reason.  The fact that agent dude survived hasn't been referenced at all in the movies, and I would think there would be more than just some random news stories playing on TVs if Thanos wreaking havoc was going on.  That's not believable.

Yeah but again I ask what is the point?  I don't want to watch a whole show about Batman becoming Batman, or his villains becoming... themselves.  I felt the same way about Smallville.

Is all that actually in the show?  And was there an actual ending or did the show just stop? 

TMNT was my next old cartoon to marathon.  I've seen Transformers and M.A.S.K. countless times, since I own them and they're among my favorites, watched Real Ghostbusters.  But maybe I should watch ThunderCats next instead.  I loved He-Man as a kid and looked at ThunderCats as a poor man's He-Man, but He-Man... does not hold up well.  ThunderCats does, though.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:39 AM, Jman said:

Essentially if you have a point, mocking a man’s hair or making it a misandrist vs mysoginist issue helps no one.

I really have no clue where people are getting SJW shit from this, like I said earlier.

That said, face for radio as many of us geeks may have (speak for yourself, bruh :P) as Lio said, this guy put himself out there.  And I mean, does Man-Bun have no self-awareness at all?  Sorry but I can't resist making fun of him.

I agree with the rest of what he said though.

Edited by ben0119

Pretty much agree with Pat here, but to Ian's "counterpoints" -

IF THE STORY IS GOOD WHO CARES WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE LOL.

Animation is a visual medium, so yeah it really does matter what it looks like.  Seriously wtf?

The argument of IT'S FOR KIDS is dead on arrival.  So was the original series!

And saying it's following a trend and that's why it looks like that is more of an indictment than a defense, in my view.

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Agents of SHIELD was billed as a show about average everyday people who live in a world with superheroes.  What happens after some big battle destroys buildings etc.  I watched the first ep and I'm like yeah why would I want to watch that?  From what I can tell, it didn't connect to the MCU at all, nor do the Marvel Netflix series, for some reason.  The fact that agent dude survived hasn't been referenced at all in the movies, and I would think there would be more than just some random news stories playing on TVs if Thanos wreaking havoc was going on.  That's not believable.

Yeah but again I ask what is the point?  I don't want to watch a whole show about Batman becoming Batman, or his villains becoming... themselves.  I felt the same way about Smallville.

Is all that actually in the show?  And was there an actual ending or did the show just stop? 

TMNT was my next old cartoon to marathon.  I've seen Transformers and M.A.S.K. countless times, since I own them and they're among my favorites, watched Real Ghostbusters.  But maybe I should watch ThunderCats next instead.  I loved He-Man as a kid and looked at ThunderCats as a poor man's He-Man, but He-Man... does not hold up well.  ThunderCats does, though.

Agent Coulson was the connection between the series and the movies. Fury said that it was more important for the team to think he was dead in order to get them to work together better and think more about the consequences of their bickering which is why Coulson sort of disappeared. Further when the Civil War happened, his direct job with the Avengers would have ceased anyway and gone underground so his main job became keeping SHIELD going underground and bringing in the unintentional powered people instead. The movie big battle happens in NY [covered on the tvs] and overseas [where it wasn't on tv quite yet] while the series had their own big battle going on in Chicago that ended just shortly before the battle ended in the movie. So they were busy with their own Earth-saving battle. 

The point with Gotham is the journey and the origin stories. If people need to have DC special effects every 5 minutes, the CW has a butt-ton of DC superhero shows. :D

I recalling most but not all since it's been forever, but that was the main gist of ThunderCats and occurred in the second season. I have Part Two of it but not Part One so I haven't been able to rewatch it yet.

Ummmm that's called Thundercats Roar, not Thundercats. When people say Thundercats, they're referring to the popular cartoon from 1985, the one which was shown on Toonami and Cartoon Network, so the one you're referring to is a new series called Thundercats Roar, there's a fine difference, just to clear up the confusion because I feel this thread went 4 pages because some people thought you were referring to the 80s series, but you mistakenly left out the Roar part in your thread title.

4 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Agent Coulson was the connection between the series and the movies. Fury said that it was more important for the team to think he was dead in order to get them to work together better and think more about the consequences of their bickering which is why Coulson sort of disappeared. Further when the Civil War happened, his direct job with the Avengers would have ceased anyway and gone underground so his main job became keeping SHIELD going underground and bringing in the unintentional powered people instead. The movie big battle happens in NY [covered on the tvs] and overseas [where it wasn't on tv quite yet] while the series had their own big battle going on in Chicago that ended just shortly before the battle ended in the movie. So they were busy with their own Earth-saving battle. 

The point with Gotham is the journey and the origin stories. If people need to have DC special effects every 5 minutes, the CW has a butt-ton of DC superhero shows. :D

I recalling most but not all since it's been forever, but that was the main gist of ThunderCats and occurred in the second season. I have Part Two of it but not Part One so I haven't been able to rewatch it yet.

It connected from the movies but the show didn't connect back to the movies.  Yeah that sounds pretty bullshitty to me.  Especially given the ending of the movie.  There's no way it should be that disconnected.  And is Nick Fury even in the show?

We don't need a whole show about origin stories.  I don't want to watch a show about Batman becoming Batman, I want to watch a show about Batman.  Bad enough we have to go through that every time a superhero gets rebooted in the movies, even though everyone already knows them.  Never been a big fan of Flash character in general, and apparently that show got into time travel bullshit territory, so nyah.  They turned Green Arrow into Batman basically.  Defeats the purpose.  I don't care about noname Legends of Tomorrow or whatever.  Love Supergirl, though.  Been watching that religiously.

Fair enough.  Seems the show actually does go somewhere so I will move it up on priority on my watch list. :P

Edited by ben0119

On 5/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, Sketch said:

Yeah for early 80s television animation that was quite impressive. ThunderCats was likely a very expensive show to produce back then. It makes He-Man look like such garbage in comparison.

They also had individual theme songs for every main character... even the tank. How many 80's cartoons did that? Not only that, they were amazing.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, Zenigundam said:

Ummmm that's called Thundercats Roar, not Thundercats. When people say Thundercats, they're referring to the popular cartoon from 1985, the one which was shown on Toonami and Cartoon Network, so the one you're referring to is a new series called Thundercats Roar, there's a fine difference, just to clear up the confusion because I feel this thread went 4 pages because some people thought you were referring to the 80s series, but you mistakenly left out the Roar part in your thread title.

"Thundercats" may also refer to the 2011 remake, though when people speak of that nowadays, they usually add the "2011" as a qualifier. "Thundercats on [as] Toonami" also refers only to the 2011 remake. But there is no confusion when speaking of Thundercats Roar--it's the 2019 remake. But I'm befuddled as to why they didn't go with "Thundercats HO!" Maybe that name is what the 2011 remake should go by?

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 5/26/2018 at 8:37 PM, Jman said:

Can I point out the 80’s show...had surprisingly good fight scenes?

You don’t get that from noodle people in CalArs.

actually you do

these "Cal-arts" shows can have epic battles when they want, the studios just don't think kids want to see it for some reason