UnevenEdge

Thundercats returns...kinda

Jman

you know it just occurred to me that the Style everyone keeps hating on and calling the "Cal-arts style"

is actually Super Milk chan's artstyle

hqdefault.jpg

mipwoljips0zpr3jocmm.jpg

so....if you wanna nitpick, these shows ARE using an Anime artstyle

just a very specific and simplified one

I'd also like to point out that the Majority of CN's 90's shows used similar art styles as well so it's not so shocking that all their shows tend to look similar now

cartoonnetwork-feature.jpg

Studios having a "house style" is fairly common in the world of animation because it makes their intellectual properties easily recognizable as being theirs

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, mochi said:

I'd also like to point out that the Majority of CN's 90's shows used similar art styles as well so it's not so shocking that all their shows tend to look similar now

cartoonnetwork-feature.jpg

Studios having a "house style" is fairly common in the world of animation because it makes their intellectual properties easily recognizable as being theirs

I think a clarification could be in order. Yes, there's a 'style' that goes through every so often where everyone seems to be trying to use it for everything. The one's above are one set, there was a time when everyone was trying to be like Ren & Stimpy, there's this newish hippo-blob-people 'CalArts' thing.

But the difference is that while the 'CalArts' style works for many of their current projects, it does so because those projects are already unique stories. Johnny Bravo, Power Puff Girls, Dexter - all original stories. Steven Universe, Star, Clarence - unique stories. ThunderCats - old story. It already has it's own established art type from back in the frickin' 80's and it still has a fanbase that's kept it alive all this time. Even the 2011 version had excellent art. ThunderCats Roar does not. 

It's basically someone seeing something and deciding, hey I can make it better! And then you get this

6a00d8341c5bb353ef017d3c457a3f970c-pi

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katt_goddess said:

I think a clarification could be in order. Yes, there's a 'style' that goes through every so often where everyone seems to be trying to use it for everything. The one's above are one set, there was a time when everyone was trying to be like Ren & Stimpy, there's this newish hippo-blob-people 'CalArts' thing.

But the difference is that while the 'CalArts' style works for many of their current projects, it does so because those projects are already unique stories. Johnny Bravo, Power Puff Girls, Dexter - all original stories. Steven Universe, Star, Clarence - unique stories. ThunderCats - old story. It already has it's own established art type from back in the frickin' 80's and it still has a fanbase that's kept it alive all this time. Even the 2011 version had excellent art. ThunderCats Roar does not. 

It's basically someone seeing something and deciding, hey I can make it better! And then you get this

6a00d8341c5bb353ef017d3c457a3f970c-pi

agree'd, but, I'm just saying shitting specifically on the cal-arts style when it DOES work for SOME cartoons seems a little excessive

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

agree'd, but, I'm just saying shitting specifically on the cal-arts style when it DOES work for SOME cartoons seems a little excessive

People are shitting on it because the people using it don't seem to realize that it only works because the stories are unique and instead think it works because it works and want to apply it to everything. 

In the case of ThunderCat Roar, they'll replay the absolute shit out of it like they do with TTG and try to act like it's a super-mega hit when all it is is background noise for people who use the tv to babysit. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

In the case of ThunderCat Roar, they'll replay the absolute shit out of it like they do with TTG and try to act like it's a super-mega hit when all it is is background noise for people who use the tv to babysit. 

It'll be interesting to see how they make room for it. If they push the shit out of it (like they most certainly will), will it usurp most of TTG's airtime? Will it cut into TTG's airtime and share evenly? Or will they share evenly by just not cutting TTG time at all and having TCR for the same amount, having roughly an hour a day for other programming?

• Haha 2