UnevenEdge

MY HERO ACADEMIA COMING TO TOONAMI ON MAY 5TH

The1gairon

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wow.

Ummm, slight change of subject: do y'all think MHA is big enough to get weekly topicals? It would probably be the first time a show that is available online ever got them if so...

Super will continue alongside MHA, so they'll probably just continue making topicals for that instead.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wow.

Ummm, slight change of subject: do y'all think MHA is big enough to get weekly topicals? It would probably be the first time a show that is available online ever got them if so...

Maybe... they've already done topicals for streaming shows in general with both One-Punch Man and Dragon Ball Super itself. Having a dub available may not matter.

If you ask me, they should actually get rid of the DBS spots entirely and just rerun the Future Trunks arc promo every so often. I think it's too much of a strain on them, especially with the dub not being available every week.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wow.

Sure, I think it is certainly possible that it could get ep previews each week, especially since they are narrated, if that's what you mean?

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Winter_Rain said:

Never seen or read MHA, seemed like kind of run-of-the-mill shounen to me.  

I guess this is a good chance to check it out and see if that initial impression was accurate or not.  Even if it is, I might still be able to enjoy it is it's well-done or different enough.  

It's kind of a run of the mill Shonen... I mean they're not reinventing the wheel here. But.... it's basically a Shonen that learned from the mistakes of all the other Shonen in the last 20 years and fixed them, creating kind of a.... Shonen for the modern era... I guess. Unless you just hate all Shonen there's about a 99 percent chance you will like this anime.

It's kind of the anti Black Clover. Black Clover did not learn these lessons and tried to follow the old stale formula..... and was roundly savaged by all comers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This past week's episode introduced a magical girl quartet called The Pussycats.

One of these, however, seems a little suspect.

My-Hero-Academia-03.jpg

And mochi, you don't have to worry. The show doesn't play him up for homophobic laughs. In fact, they play it pretty straight with him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Hide contents

This past week's episode introduced a magical girl quartet called The Pussycats.

My-Hero-Academia-03.jpg

And mochi, you don't have to worry. The show doesn't play him up for homophobic laughs. In fact, they play it pretty straight with him.

He's a Transgender man, he underwent Gender confirmation surgery during a break from their hero team and chose to keep wearing the dress as a sign of respect and loyalty to his teammates, it's all part of his backstory

Edited by mochi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 3ngag3 said:

Hide contents

My-Hero-Academia-03.jpg

The manga sheds more light into his backstory, but yes the anime saves your the headache of dealing with homophobic commentary by NOT including any of that.

8 minutes ago, elfie said:

Reveal hidden contents

The manga sheds more light into his backstory, but yes the anime saves your the headache of dealing with homophobic commentary by NOT including any of that.

he's actually not the only Trans character in the series, there's another one.....but in the manga She's portrayed in a more straight forward negative Puri Puri Prisoner esque light....time will tell if the anime Changes that

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I just noticed something: My Hero Academia is the first premiere from Studio Bones that will air on Toonami in almost 4 years. The last one was Space Dandy in September 2014!

A problem that should have been solved with Blood Blockade Battlefront years ago.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, elfie said:

I would've chosen her if she weren't the most popular MHA waifu in the US, so I didn't. :D

I've never shipped a lesbian couple before, but I kind of do Uraraka x Asui. They are just too cute together, though it'll never happen. She's my favorite girl in the series, though Momo and Midnight are a close second.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 5:13 AM, Daos said:

It's kind of a run of the mill Shonen... I mean they're not reinventing the wheel here. But.... it's basically a Shonen that learned from the mistakes of all the other Shonen in the last 20 years and fixed them, creating kind of a.... Shonen for the modern era... I guess. Unless you just hate all Shonen there's about a 99 percent chance you will like this anime.

It's kind of the anti Black Clover. Black Clover did not learn these lessons and tried to follow the old stale formula..... and was roundly savaged by all comers.

Have not seen any of Black Clover yet, so that comparison is lost on me.  But this sounds promising.  

I don't hate all shounen, but I guess you could say that in some ways I've "aged out" of them (and have seen enough animu that I recognize all the common tropes), so they bore me a lot more easily now.  Mostly because teenagers are boring.  

Of course, I'll admit that I've enjoyed a lot of the shounen series I have because of the quality of the hawt dudes, if there's some good husbando material for me to fawn over, I can be pretty forgiving.  ;):P  (Cool badass females and interesting, developed characters also requested, of course).  

Hey, at least I'm honest.  Mama knows what she wants from her Chinese cartoons.  

• Like 2

Froppy is best girl unless you’re Oda and into macro women.  Then it’s Mt. Lady.

Also fun fact, Mt. Lady was supposed to take the role of the gravity girl, but the author couldn’t figure out how to use her power in daily settings.

Edited by Jman

On 4/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, Sandstone said:

Maybe I will have to start watching Toonami again just for the discussion on this. I have already seen everything to current but it'd  be fun nevertheless since its one of my favorite recent animes.

Please do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kind of, but that sounds more like Stain the Hero killer from S2 who thinks most of the heroes in society are phonies only out for fame and money.

The S1 bad guy seems to hate heroes more because they won't let him do what he wants.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Kind of, but that sounds more like Stain the Hero killer from S2 who thinks most of the heroes in society are phonies only out for fame and money.

The S1 bad guy seems to hate heroes more because they won't let him do what he wants.

Wait, so Season 2 is our idiot hero against The Boys?

How do they screw it up?

So apparently Demarco made it clear on Twitter that getting MHA was totally unplanned and came out of the blue.  Apparently, some rule changed in the equation just recently.  This makes sense in hindsight.  They were planning to spend this time to plug FLCL 2 and 3 to high heaven with the FLCL reruns, the new bumps, and the behind-the-scenes featurettes with the staff we saw on TV. NOW they have MHA to promote, which means more work on a moments notice, but it's for the best.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Daos said:

I've got no idea what you're talking about here, who are you referring to as the idiot hero.... All Might the big beefy muscular mentor guy? Or Deku the series protagonist and MC?

The kid.  All shounen heroes on Toonami tend to be dumbasses.  It’s why Megalo Box is so awesome.

3 hours ago, Jman said:

The kid.  All shounen heroes on Toonami tend to be dumbasses.  It’s why Megalo Box is so awesome.

Deku?

To be sure he's a textbook wimp, but that's only when he starts out. And he is most definitely NOT dumb.

Edited by elfie