UnevenEdge

MY HERO ACADEMIA COMING TO TOONAMI ON MAY 5TH

The1gairon

So...I guess I have get ready to hate this show now. xD

I haven’t seen a single episode (It’s on the VRV archive and I keep telling myself I’ll start it eventually) but it’s on Toonami so that means guzzling the Hatorade.

Maybe I’m a bit annoyed it wasn’t Star Blazers 2199 because I REALLY want more people to see that show.

Edited by Jman

Cinco De Mayo is now Cinco De HERO!!!!

Bout damn time, Toonami. Proving once again the possible happens right away; the impossible just takes a little longer.

And yes, this means JoJo falls to 12:30. I'm quite alright with that. But I also daresay that there is a chance that once DBZ Kai ends, this moves up a notch to take its timeslot. This certainly deserves to be the #3 show on the block, but also most likely the #2 show when the time comes!

So here's my scorecard:
SUPER Psyched My Hero Academia
Will Confuse People (Re:Zero? Star Blazers?? PTE???)
Right-In-The-Pocket (AoTS3? Boruto?? G Gundam???)

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I haven’t seen a single episode (It’s on the VRV archive and I keep telling myself I’ll start it eventually) but it’s on Toonami so that means guzzling the Hatorade.

Maybe I’m a bit annoyed it wasn’t Star Blazers 2199 because I REALLY want more people to see that show.

:D Oh you.  I'm sure there are things in this kickass show you'll like.  Even if it IS available elsewhere already (though in-complete).

I am annoyed it wasn't Re:Zero but eh.

• Like 1

Now that MHA has been announced for 11:30, the question is, how long will it stay there? I'm expecting this to do at least DBZ KFC level in the ratings, especially since it will be directly following it. It does kinda suck for FLCL Progressive, however, if it's been demoted to Midnight. So I'm kinda hoping MHA makes enough of a splash during May sweeps for early June to look like this:

10:30 Dragon Ball Super
11 PM My Hero Academia
11:30 FLCL Progressive
12 AM Lame-duck DBZ KFC

Then of course, the next new show, which might be a deviation from Toonami norms, replaces KFC at Midnight on 6/30 or something like that. If it's AOT S3, maybe we get that after some specials, but I guess at this point it's more likely to replace FLCL Progressive on 7/21, on a par with its release schedule last year. 

Another X-Factor is what they will do with that slot which GITS 2nd Gig is vacating. Hopefully it's a classic of some sort. 

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Now that MHA has been announced for 11:30, the question is, how long will it stay there? I'm expecting this to do at least DBZ KFC level in the ratings, especially since it will be directly following it. It does kinda suck for FLCL Progressive, however, if it's been demoted to Midnight. So I'm kinda hoping MHA makes enough of a splash during May sweeps for early June to look like this:

10:30 Dragon Ball Super
11 PM My Hero Academia
11:30 FLCL Progressive
12 AM Lame-duck DBZ KFC

I am honestly not expecting it to do much- the show is available on home release, Crunchyroll, FunimationNOW, VRV and Hulu, and they been promoting the super hell out of it for 2 years now, so it's not exactly new. 

Edited by elfie

1 minute ago, elfie said:

I am honestly not expecting it to do much- the show is available on FunimationNOW, VRV and Hulu, and they been promoting the super hell out of it for 2 years now, so it's not exactly new. 

Hmmm, you may be right; I guess we'll see. But MHA is one of those shows that seems to be "Evergreen". Will it do well in the ratings, though? Only time will tell...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hmmm, you may be right; I guess we'll see. But MHA is one of those shows that seems to be "Evergreen". Will it do well in the ratings, though? Only time will tell...

I hope it has Bleach power- so far it's been doing gangbusters no matter how good an episode is, because the hype is just that strong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I hope it has Bleach power- so far it's been doing gangbusters no matter how good an episode is, because the hype is just that strong.

Same here 

I am expecting the series to possibly bring in Monster ratings, even with the first two seasons already being out (and watched over and over) for so long. 

Edited by AnimationFan14
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

Same here 

I am expecting the series to possibly bring in Monster ratings, even with the first two seasons already being out (and watched over and over) for so long. 

What's interesting is that if MHA has a Season 4, and it comes out in October 2019, it COULD still come out as a speedy dub, placing it among the likes of Space Dandy, Dimension W, Attack on Titan, and Black Clover. Sure it's not even a dub premiere now, but someday it COULD be...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Well this is a welcome surprise, if not a predictable one. :P I assume this is the one that would get people "psyched", which is perfectly okay by me.

But really, the best part of this announcement is that Black Clover got pushed back even further. xD

I'm not really sure I dig the fact that a show Toonami picked up that is only 2.5 hours behind Japan will be the 7th show on the lineup at 1:30 AM! I get that since it wasn't a dub premiere, 11:30 might have been a bit ambitious for it, but BEHIND Hunter x Hunter? Really??

Then again, since that IS a dub premiere, ahead of BC and together with JoJo is about right for it, I guess...

Hopefully the show that replaces DBZ KFC WILL be a dub premiere!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jman said:

I specifically remember you saying you saw a few episodes and that you did in fact hate it.

Maybe a second viewing will help put things into perspective.

Also, the equally fantastic Hunter x Hunter is now in front of the woefully generic Black Clover.

Edited by 3ngag3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

I specifically remember you saying you saw a few episodes and that you did in fact hate it.

Maybe a second viewing will help put things into perspective.

Also, the equally fantastic Hunter x Hunter is now in front of the woefully generic Black Clover.

I remember having issues with the premise where they seemed to be wanting to tell another story where the main character became the universe’s version of Batman, then had a hard shift to the school setting.

I can’t say I watched enough of it to be well versed past the premise.

Now this is pretty cool. I never had a gut feeling that MHA would air on Toonami, but I didn't know of anything that would disqualify it. I mean, if Tokyo Ghoul can air on Toonami several years after it was relevant, pretty much any show has a shot. All that's left to wonder is if it'll be in two or three years or right now.

Some people will complain that this is yet another shonen (possibly because they can't find joy in anything), but at least it's a genuinely good one. And it won a bunch of honors at Crunchyroll's awards show, which probably speaks more to its overall popularity, but I bet a lot of people watched this anime and thought it had something special baked in. Let's do this.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jman said:

I remember having issues with the premise where they seemed to be wanting to tell another story where the main character became the universe’s version of Batman, then had a hard shift to the school setting.

I can’t say I watched enough of it to be well versed past the premise.

The "premise" is fucking bullshit.

It's not really Batman, though the idea isn't too far off. He's a kid without a superpower in a world where almost everyone has superpowers and he wants to be a hero.

Problem being....

He gets what's regarded as the strongest ability after 3 goddamn episodes.

As in, it hammers the "you can do anything if you set your mind to it, don't let your limitations prevent you from pursuing your dreams" message into your head repeatedly - like, seriously, every 30 seconds - for 2 full episodes, then just abandons it.

Try applying that thematic structure to a real world scenario. MC is basically disabled within the world he lives in. His disability prevents him from his goal. Solution? Stop being disabled! Duh, idiot.

• Confused 1

Whoa whoa something that's good AND popular on Toonami? It's almost like they're trying to run a successful anime block here!

Shonen MAL rating comparison time.

Black Clover Rank 5226... Popularity 335

MHA Rank 146... Popularity 30

MHA S2 Rank 32.... Popularity 60

MHA is from 2016... I know a lot of people want RE Zero but considering the English Dub isn't even done quite yet It's probably just too new at this point.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, naraku360 said:

The "premise" is fucking bullshit.

It's not really Batman, though the idea isn't too far off. He's a kid without a superpower in a world where almost everyone has superpowers and he wants to be a hero.

Problem being....

Hide contents

He gets what's regarded as the strongest ability after 3 goddamn episodes.

As in, it hammers the "you can do anything if you set your mind to it, don't let your limitations prevent you from pursuing your dreams" message into your head repeatedly - like, seriously, every 30 seconds - for 2 full episodes, then just abandons it.

Try applying that thematic structure to a real world scenario. MC is basically disabled within the world he lives in. His disability prevents him from his goal. Solution? Stop being disabled! Duh, idiot.

But it turns out he can't control that power easily because it's SO strong, his weak little body gets hurt, and he has to go through enormous pain to just get the basics on how to use it! Not to mention how there's this undercurrent of dark politics that would exist in this world, and where the villains stem from.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, elfie said:

Reveal hidden contents

But it turns out he can't control that power easily because it's SO strong, his weak little body gets hurt, and he has to go through enormous pain to just get the basics on how to use it! Not to mention how there's this undercurrent of dark politics that would exist in this world, and where the villains stem from.

I'm aware. I'm saying that giving him a power at all undermines the pretense the series establishes as the central thesis statement.

30 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Hide contents

I'm aware. I'm saying that giving him a power at all undermines the pretense the series establishes as the central thesis statement.

In that situation it may be beneficial to wonder if that was never the show's actual message.

http://toonamifaithful.com/my-hero-academia-is-coming-to-toonami/

Back in December 2017, Jason DeMarco has mentioned that acquiring MHA was not possible at the time due to competitors grabbing exclusivity to the premiere rights among other things we’re not privy to. Because of this, it wasn’t until now that Toonami was able to grab this show.

Which makes me wonder: ... what DID happen to change all this??

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that Demarco is full of shit 90 percent of the time to be honest. He just comes off as paranoid and delusional in his posts.

So they snapped up the rights in 2017 and it wasn't available. But now in 2018 it's available. K sure buddy. Whatever you say.

I would say that he GETS the powers because he proves you don't need them to be a hero

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnimationFan14 said:

I think I know what haopened

Demarco bought Netflix, man Toonami is gonna be over budget this year. 

MHA's dub isn't on Netflix, it's HULU which was the issue.

Apparently, the exclusivity contract ran out on Season 1? That's just my guess.

I mean, they got 3 seasons, so maybe there never was an exclusivity contract?

These deals are all so damn complicated, we fans are remiss to even guess.

However, I think it can be summed up in one sentence:

"The possible happens right away; the impossible just takes a little longer!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elfie said:

Hide contents

In that situation it may be beneficial to wonder if that was never the show's actual message.

They literally spend 2 episodes beating you over the head with "Midori doesn't have a superpower but wants a superpower and nobody thinks he can be a superhero without a superpower and he's gonna prove them wrong..... By getting a superpower."

Like, if that wasn't the point, then dedicating the first 2 episodes to endlessly repeating that very point is just bad writing. If it was the point, then it's bad writing.

There isn't any real way around it. They made a lose-lose situation. So, to MHA I say:

fuck_off_ryan_stiles.gif

Edited by naraku360

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

MHA's dub isn't on Netflix, it's HULU which was the issue.

Apparently, the exclusivity contract ran out on Season 1? That's just my guess.

I mean, they got 3 seasons, so maybe there never was an exclusivity contract?

These deals are all so damn complicated, we fans are remiss to even guess.

However, I think it can be summed up in one sentence:

"The possible happens right away; the impossible just takes a little longer!"

They couldn't air it as a premiere dub, so maybe all these episodes have a time limit on themselves that expires when they're clear for someone else to run them on TV?