UnevenEdge

MY HERO ACADEMIA COMING TO TOONAMI ON MAY 5TH

The1gairon

On 4/19/2018 at 12:16 PM, Jman said:

So...I guess I have get ready to hate this show now. xD

I haven’t seen a single episode (It’s on the VRV archive and I keep telling myself I’ll start it eventually) but it’s on Toonami so that means guzzling the Hatorade.

Maybe I’m a bit annoyed it wasn’t Star Blazers 2199 because I REALLY want more people to see that show.

You wanna know something weird?

This series is actually beating bleach in doujinshi bleach had around 250 MHA is currently at 350 and it's mostly tongue fetish for this series .... Japan has some issues

• Haha 1

While I have not seen much of the show, I am aware of just how insanely popular Froppy is.

When the freaking Gold Digger Artist is making a MHA doujin with her, you have officially made it. 

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, Jman said:

While I have not seen much of the show, I am aware of just how insanely popular Froppy is.

When the freaking Gold Digger Artist is making a MHA doujin with her, you have officially made it. 

Yup I'm mean there is a few (5) doujishini that contains shota but it is mainly tamed

On 4/19/2018 at 8:46 PM, Daos said:

I've come to the conclusion that Demarco is full of shit 90 percent of the time to be honest. He just comes off as paranoid and delusional in his posts.

So they snapped up the rights in 2017 and it wasn't available. But now in 2018 it's available. K sure buddy. Whatever you say.

Reveal hidden contents

I would say that he GETS the powers because he proves you don't need them to be a hero

Reveal hidden contents

Well, SOMEtimes Demarco is a false anime prophet/idol / idiot savant of TV programming riding Sean's cottails. Other times he's spot on, much like Jhonen is these days. They're kind of 70% right. The other 30% they're just a foolish comedian with a large following.

I guess I'm saying there's less visible people in the industry who do the kinds of things those dudes do without making as much rowdy noise with a mobbish following. I prefer the quiet ones personally.

Edited by J.M. Matthews

11 minutes ago, J.M. Matthews said:

Amen.

I'm saying this because either the streaming rights died off some, Toonami inherited legal permission from Japanese studios/distributors to air it, or maybe they had some kind of epiphany they SHOULD air something amazing that's being watched, not just unlicensed nonstreamed material.

Whichever one it is I'm happy to watch the first 2 seasons with Toonami branding. I'd rather watch a hyper watched anime that's appealing than something that doesn't get seen or streamed online that totally sucks ass (black clover.......cough. Is a cough even necessary here?? lol XD). Learn to share, FUNimation....hint, hint.

Edited by J.M. Matthews

6 minutes ago, J.M. Matthews said:

I think Midoriya and Bakugo and All Might will be just as fun on Toonami as they were on Funimationnow.com

Yup!

I think they'll fit extremely well on Toonami. Not to mention their energetic personalities :D

It's also a great show for posting and reacting to.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yup!

It's also a great show for posting and reacting to.

Kind of like Dragonball Super and Z.

I think it's not just about being an anime anymore. If DBZ and My Hero Academia set any standard, it was for online views, fun factor, and dynamics/color scheme of the animation. It's okay to have muted shows like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, but sometimes its fun to throw in something with primary colors all over the place.

I remember when Gamepro wrote reviews of video games, Fun Factor was always an important element. Not all anime has to be shojo (Sailor Moon) or bleak worldview (Bleach, Durarara Psycho-Pass).

I don't watch anime to be reminded of the troubles in my life. I go to anime to escape them.

Edited by J.M. Matthews
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, J.M. Matthews said:

I think Midoriya and Bakugo and All Might will be just as fun on Toonami as they were on Funimationnow.com

I bet some will think that because it's about high schoolers, it should belong on a block that skews younger, like CN proper.  But then again, most of what Toonami has been airing for so long HAS been considered for young boys in Japan anyway.

7 minutes ago, elfie said:

I bet some will think that because it's about high schoolers, it should belong on a block that skews younger, like CN proper.  But then again, most of what Toonami has been airing for so long HAS been considered for young boys in Japan anyway.

Yeah, but that kind of discussion hardly feels all that controversial in the fanbase. DBZ was never that racy of a show, but it had enough maturity and innocence it passed as both a kids show and a serious minded adult action cartoon. Probably had to be Bulma and the appeal of the design work....The list goes on, Kenshin started off a kids show. Gundam was put on TV pretty much just to sell action figures. Need I even explain sailor moon

I think some of the best adult action cartoons have started off branding as children's shows, but evolved, or at least early Toonami staples.

Edited by J.M. Matthews
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, I'm actually surprised this got on!

This and previously Tiger & Bunny I thought would be shoe-ins but neither seemed likely.

This 100% makes me forgive circumstances that prevented Toonami from picking up Tiger and Bunny!  Though I do wish we'd get some more amine with close adult bros bein bros.

• Like 1

Don't read if you're worried about spoilers

The one potential MHA disappointment is that suddenly for no reason it's kind of starting to share the usual 'female characters in a shonen action show not getting their due' thing, despite a strong start for them back in the first season and part of season 2, after how that tournament went down last season. The female characters have all seemingly started to fall behind the boys in importance to the story. Ochako hasn't gotten the chance to do shit ever since her fight went down in the tournament despite how that fight ended, and she, and the other female characters, haven't really gotten to do anything of note at all since then as well. And based on manga comments, though I don't read the manga so I don't know how valid they are

The female characters have now all been sidelined again in the next big arc, so it looks like that's not going to be changing any time soon...

Which is rather disappointing after the good start some of them had had.

That said, the show has been pretty great so far so I can't wait to watch it again each week on Toonami.

Edited by DangerMouse

How did Toonami get this?!  I thought that Netflix had that pussy on lockdown! :D

Is this the show that was legally delayed, or is it just IBO's replacement?  Also Demarco only recently stated that they can't get My Hero Academia.  Obviously things have changed.

Can't say I was ever too interested in the series, since the main character is said to be a crybaby bitch boy, and I've more than had my fill of those kinds of characters.  Looking at you Amuro, Shinji, Banagher, Kaneki...  It also probably won't hold a candle to One-Punch Man, which was brilliant and hilarious.  But, I am withholding full judgment until I see the series myself. 

Regardless of whether I end up liking it, the show is very popular and highly requested by fans.  It's best for business.

Faith in Demarco... restored?  Let's wait and see what he picks up next.  Tokyo Ghoul:retard and more Gundam which most Americans don't care about nor are often good could still be coming.  They built up a lot of good will over the first few years of Adult Swim Toonami which they slowly eroded over the past couple, and that won't be rebuilt overnight.  But, at least this decision is a good one.

P.S. It's May the 4th be with you, not the 5th.  It's meant to be as a joke, someone with a nerd lisp saying "may the Force be with you."

https://www.starwars.com/may-the-4th

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/May_4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Day

Edited by ben0119

On 4/19/2018 at 12:33 PM, elfie said:

I am honestly not expecting it to do much- the show is available on home release, Crunchyroll, FunimationNOW, VRV and Hulu, and they been promoting the super hell out of it for 2 years now, so it's not exactly new. 

That never mattered before.  If something has enough appeal people will watch it.  Not everyone watches every show that streams.  Some maybe few or none.  That and maybe fans will re-watch on Toonami. 

Stuff like Evangelion and Death Note that were "popular" online have bombed on TV though.  People get in their fandom bubbles and assume a show is bigger than it really is.  The term internet famous was coined for a reason.  So there's no telling.  It seems that My Hero Academia is more mainstream than either of those shows though.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, naraku360 said:

The "premise" is fucking bullshit.

It's not really Batman, though the idea isn't too far off. He's a kid without a superpower in a world where almost everyone has superpowers and he wants to be a hero.

Problem being....

Reveal hidden contents

He gets what's regarded as the strongest ability after 3 goddamn episodes.

As in, it hammers the "you can do anything if you set your mind to it, don't let your limitations prevent you from pursuing your dreams" message into your head repeatedly - like, seriously, every 30 seconds - for 2 full episodes, then just abandons it.

Try applying that thematic structure to a real world scenario. MC is basically disabled within the world he lives in. His disability prevents him from his goal. Solution? Stop being disabled! Duh, idiot.

Sounds like Asta. :D

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Can't say I was ever too interested in the series, since the main character is said to be a crybaby bitch boy, and I've more than had my fill of those kinds of characters.  Looking at you Amuro, Shinji, Banagher, Kaneki...  It also probably won't hold a candle to One-Punch Man, which was brilliant and hilarious.  But, I am withholding full judgment until I see the series myself. 

Gotta say that as you'll see that's rather odd as a description for Deku, since he only does that in the first ep or two and it's gone almost immediately. He's much more the grit do it type and unlike a lot of hothead shonen leads almost always has a strategy like say Shikamaru or Joseph Joestar in the second arc of Jojo. He's not whiny about fighting like some of the characters you listed.

He basically only cries like that at the beginning when he meets All Might, his hero, and when All Might picks him as his potential successor and when he finally impresses All Might.

15 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Sounds like Asta. :D

Fortunately this show is never really about him earning his name without a power, since he gets his power so early

and once he gets it no one really tries to convince you he doesn't have a Quirk anymore. They just comment that they're not sure what Quirk he has yet (since only he and All Might know).

Edited by DangerMouse

1 hour ago, DangerMouse said:

Gotta say that as you'll see that's rather odd as a description for Deku, since he only does that in the first ep or two and it's gone almost immediately. He's much more the grit do it type and unlike a lot of hothead shonen leads almost always has a strategy like say Shikamaru or Joseph Joestar in the second arc of Jojo. He's not whiny about fighting like some of the characters you listed.

Reveal hidden contents

He basically only cries like that at the beginning when he meets All Might, his hero, and when All Might picks him as his potential successor and when he finally impresses All Might.

Hide contents

Fortunately this show is never really about him earning his name without a power, since he gets his power so early

and once he gets it no one really tries to convince you he doesn't have a Quirk anymore. They just comment that they're not sure what Quirk he has yet (since only he and All Might know).

My problem is that the premise of the show is that he had no Quirk. Him having no Quirk and him having a Quirk he can't handle are not only completely different conflicts, but they're also in direct contradiction with each other from a narrative perspective. It means the there's a thematic whiplash so strong it immediately forgets the central conflict it builds up to be vital. What was the point of not starting him off too weak to do anything if you're going to make him too strong in a matter of 3 episodes? Why not just start there? It robs the introduction holding any weight when they shamelessly beg for you to feel so bad for Midoriya for 2 episodes only to negate the emotional impact and revoke the literal only defined character trait he had. Not that it was very impactful when they treat the audience like they have goldfish memories by reminding you about his tragic conflict every 30 seconds.

Edited by naraku360