UnevenEdge

UnevenEdge Server Fund - Member Donation Pool *UPDATED 7/24/20

7/24/20 Update:

UnevenEdge is giving out thank you rewards for your donations to keep the site running. Starting now, your donations can earn you a custom rank/color or rep points!

Here's how it works: $20 and I'll set up a custom rank. Alternatively, if you either don't want a custom rank or if you already have one, every $5 you contribute can earn you 100 rep points.

If you choose to donate to the UnevenEdge PayPal Funding Pool, let me know in this thread or via PM. Point me to your donation (this also applies to donations prior to this announcement) and what reward you want - for ranks, you'll need to give me a rank title and a color/hex code. Donations go exclusively towards the hosting and maintenance of UnevenEdge. (Note that you do not purchase rewards with your donations, rewards are a thank you gift from UEMB for your generosity. Additionally, rewards are not intended to grant any special treatment in moderation actions. If your account gets banned, rank or rep points are nontransferable.)

I think I've hit all the major bullet points. Let me know if you have any questions. We will let everyone know if/when we have additional updates.

Also, share your ideas on future donation rewards. But mostly, thank you for your contributions!

Good news everyone! 

Hot right off the presses, @KN has set up a new PayPal Funding Pool where we can chip in and donate to the server fund. If you remember, we had set up a similar pool to raise the funds to upgrade to the IPB software package. That was a one-shot deal, and the goal is to use this as the permanent vehicle for member donations moving forward. 

Donating is completely voluntary: @katt_goddess isn't gonna shake you down for your lunch money like back when she ran a bullying ring out of the back seat of the school bus back in middle school (the ring was finally broken up by the feds after an investigation into her repeating the 6th grade for the 23rd year in a row). 

Anything you choose to contribute (if you choose to contribute) helps defray the costs of hosting the site long term, and we all totally appreciate it!

Use this thread for donation discussions and questions, humblebrags, and the like.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Also, we're still toying with fun, workable ways to reward members for donating (beyond us continuing to exist for their personal enjoyment), so if you have any ideas please shout them out.

I had the thought to make custom ranks a donation reward, like donating a certain dollar amount grants you a custom rank for X weeks or months. But at the same time I'm hesitant to tell everyone with a JMC-approved custom rank that the old party boat has docked.

So, thoughts and whatnot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

Also, we're still toying with fun, workable ways to reward members for donating (beyond us continuing to exist for their personal enjoyment), so if you have any ideas please shout them out.

I had the thought to make custom ranks a donation reward, like donating a certain dollar amount grants you a custom rank for X weeks or months. But at the same time I'm hesitant to tell everyone with a JMC-approved custom rank that the old party boat has docked.

So, thoughts and whatnot.

What about reputation points for donations?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crackymckrackin said:

Are there other ways to donate? I hate paypal.

Not at the moment, but if you'd like to make a one time donation via google wallet or something I can facilitate that.

There is a module for this forum software that lets us accept payments right here on the boards and automate them with privileges/ranks/etc but unfortunately that also costs money to install so we haven't done that yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mumbojummie13 said:

can you show me a couple figures?  what kind of money are we talking?

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

It's not a fucking hedge fund, bro.  Just give if you can or don't.

basically what scoob said. don't overthink it.

if you have money to burn and feel like donating, feel free. as you can see by the donation pool if you check the link, we've received donations in the past 24 hours ranging from $100 to $1.69 so there's no requested ask.

anything donated is appreciated (thanks for those who have already donated thus far!). but if someone is in a position of financial weakness - like mountains of debt or unemployment, please please please don't donate to us rather than pay your own bills. but that should go without saying, because we're talking about voluntary donations.

• Like 2

Maybe x amount of reputation point value for certain levels of donation.  The gift would be one time so that one might be encouraged to continue giving and it would additionally make it so that those who can't afford to give aren't necessarily excluded from bonuses through the reputation system.

Edited by scoobdog

That's not a bad idea. Obviously the goal is some sort of "benign" perk.

So it's kind of like donating as a "subscription" for a custom rank. I don't think rep is tied to anything else, so it would just be a visual marker to show of how much you've contributed. Is that enough to continue donating? I guess that's my question. 

4 minutes ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

So it's kind of like donating as a "subscription" for a custom rank. I don't think rep is tied to anything else, so it would just be a visual marker to show of how much you've contributed. Is that enough to continue donating? I guess that's my question. 

I think if I can dig up some money @katt_goddess should have to write at minimum a 10 page essay on the benifits of taint moisturizing. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Maybe x amount of reputation point value for certain levels of donation.  The gift would be one time so that one might be encouraged to continue giving and it would additionally make it so that those who can't afford to give aren't necessarily excluded from bonuses through the reputation system.

Oooooo or a custom rank! I want a special rank, maybe "Would you kindly" a reference to my favorite game.<3 Another reference from the game as well

"No gods or kings, only man" But would you kindly is shorter.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:11 PM, Adminderaptorpat said:

So it's kind of like donating as a "subscription" for a custom rank. I don't think rep is tied to anything else, so it would just be a visual marker to show of how awemuch you've contributed. Is that enough to continue donating? I guess that's my question. 

Awe admin I just want a custom rank, My top choice "Would you kindly" 

IMG_1126.PNG.199a6cde86143da457d09fc693807fed.PNG

4 hours ago, Clu said:

Lol...why is moose banned? Do we have a wtf mod thread?

Moose became such an overwhelmingly abusive and threatening unhinged jackass [ie, real life hunt you down and kill you crap] that Luuv himself slap him off the boards.

He is forever ban - the only person with the right to unban him after his continued crazy isn't able to.  

Just now, Adminderaptorpat said:

What I mean is you are not buying a rank or rep points or whatever else we do down the road. You are donating to the server fund purely out of the generosity of your heart and we are thanking you from the bottom of our own with a complimentary reward.

Semantics. :P Really either point of view is pretty much equally valid. But I think a good way to put it to explain what you're trying to get across is that you guys aren't trying to make a profit on us, and it is not really our money you are after. The goal is simply to be able to keep the boards going for us to continue to shitpost in.

Fair enough.  I pointed it out because it's might be a curious thing to say for non-lawyers who are not looking at it as a causality relationship.  A few people here need to realize that donating is not intended to be a guarantee of reward, even though the reward has not explicit restrictions for those who donate.

Edited by scoobdog

I suppose you could say I was inartfully trying to avoid opening cans of worms that may or may not even exist.

DMA has got the fundamental idea down though:

10 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

The goal is simply to be able to keep the boards going for us to continue to shitpost in.

donations = shitposting into the future, and you can get a colored rank or points for being a team player!

Donations pay for server/software expenses, no one pockets any money, and it's not a refundable transaction if you screw up and get banned.

You get rep points when people use certain smiley faces on your content. There are certain widgets on the front page that keep track of who gets the most points and who wins the week/month/etc (for example it says animationfan is the current winner of this week and month and buddy is the current leader of all time).

We don't have any features that rep points tie into, but that could always be an option if something comes up that is compelling enough.

The tl;dr of it all is that rep points are internet points.

• 3 weeks later...