UnevenEdge

Toonami Will Run A Cowboy Bebop Marathon For Christmas

The1gairon

7 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Well, okay then. I'll treat this one as the thread to discuss both of them.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Super marathon to happen. Maybe they needed to restructure the contract to allow it?

That'd be my guess.  Perhaps the previous contract with Toei only allowed a certain number of airings or something.

As for the marathons, I don't hate the Cowboy Bebop marathon (I'm kinda ambivalent about it), but I'm not big on the Super marathon.

Yes and the block got cut in half and movies banned after the half-assed second month of movies failed spectacularly.

Either way, every time they indulge in their Bebop fetish with stunts like this it makes me want to tack on another 5-10 years before I ever watch it again.  

Even got the movie from a flea market a while back and never got around to watching it.  Since then though with Demarco's incessant endless Bebop spam, I don't even WANT to.

Bebop is a great, timeless show, but who in the heck does this benefit? Maybe the issue with shows like JoJo and Gundam IBO is their content is too objectionable for 10:30 PM? Though how that applies to Lupin, which even browns blood, is quite frankly beyond me.

But I digress. I may be mistaken, but I believe this will be the first time Adult Swim airs Cowboy Bebop at 10:30 PM! Action was never aired at 10:30 PM on old [as] ACTN; at the earliest, it began at 11.

Also, please note that if I'm right, at least until Toonami's first marathon in 2018, the only action shows to air at 10:30 PM on [as] will be Dragon Ball Super and Cowboy Bebop.

Edited by OwlChemist81

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Ratings be damned, I still want my Lupin marathon.

[i also want more smileys]

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that this won't happen with the current season of Lupin, but perhaps it will happen with Part 5: The French Adventure?

If I had to take a wild guess which show will get an on-air marathon next, and when, I'd have to say...Black Clover, on St. Patrick's Day! It will have 13 episodes out by then, which makes it ripe for one!

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that this won't happen with the current season of Lupin, but perhaps it will happen with Part 5: The French Adventure?

If I had to take a wild guess which show will get an on-air marathon next, and when, I'd have to say...Black Clover, on St. Patrick's Day! It will have 13 episodes out by then, which makes it ripe for one!

If Demarco does a marathon for St. Patrick's Day, that will the height of ridiculousness.  What's next?  Flag Day?  Arbor Day?  Also, your clover theming idea is stupid.

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Bebop is a great, timeless show, but who in the heck does this benefit? Maybe the issue with shows like JoJo and Gundam IBO is their content is too objectionable for 10:30 PM? Though how that applies to Lupin, which even browns blood, is quite frankly beyond me.

But I digress. I may be mistaken, but I believe this will be the first time Adult Swim airs Cowboy Bebop at 10:30 PM! Action was never aired at 10:30 PM on old [as] ACTN; at the earliest, it began at 11.

Also, please note that if I'm right, at least until Toonami's first marathon in 2018, the only action shows to air at 10:30 PM on [as] will be Dragon Ball Super and Cowboy Bebop.

It benefits Demarco's half-chub.

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Are you thinking they'll do another anniversary event? It's not really of them to create a schedule-blanking marathon out of whole cloth, but I could see it happen. I mean, back in 2013, they at least kept fresh episodes of Bleach and Naruto at the top of the block while a movie aired below; something along those lines would be more reasonable.

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Bebop is a great, timeless show, but who in the heck does this benefit? Maybe the issue with shows like JoJo and Gundam IBO is their content is too objectionable for 10:30 PM?

The TV-MA episodes of Rick and Morty have aired before 10 pm, so I don't think content is an issue past 9 pm. The Venture Bros. episode Careers in Science which is now TV-MA aired at 8 pm with the original TV-14-DS rating so I guess TV-MA shows can air after 9 pm but not before.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Blatch said:

Are you thinking they'll do another anniversary event? It's not really of them to create a schedule-blanking marathon out of whole cloth, but I could see it happen. I mean, back in 2013, they at least kept fresh episodes of Bleach and Naruto at the top of the block while a movie aired below; something along those lines would be more reasonable.

No, I'm thinking that when St. Patty's day falls on a Saturday, it's a big enough event that they might want to reach for a marathon.

But unlike Halloween and the 4th of July (the latter of which I believe will NOT get a marathon in 2018), ONLY when it falls on a Saturday.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:39 PM, ben0119 said:

Either way, every time they indulge in their Bebop fetish with stunts like this it makes me want to tack on another 5-10 years before I ever watch it again. 

They didn't air any Bebop for over two years.  When they finally got around to airing it, they put it in the second to last slot on the block.  And they give it a marathon on a night no one was going to watch anyway.  And this somehow offends you?  This is spamming Bebop?  You don't even watch the marathons, so what do you care if it's Bebop or something else?

It sounds to me like you just hate Bebop.  Not because of Toonami, but just that you hate it yourself.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

They didn't air any Bebop for over two years.  When they finally got around to airing it, they put it in the second to last slot on the block.  And they give it a marathon on a night no one was going to watch anyway.  And this somehow offends you?  This is spamming Bebop?  You don't even watch the marathons, so what do you care if it's Bebop or something else?

It sounds to me like you just hate Bebop.  Not because of Toonami, but just that you hate it yourself.

Shows what you know.  It was one of my favorites.  Watched it many times but had my fill eventually.  No matter how much you like something you eventually get sick of it.

It's wasting time, money, and resources.  I'm not going to watch but the fact is I know it is.  It's the principle of the thing. And they continue to squander opportunities in favor of continually running Bebop into the ground.  2 year break after over decade nonstop airing ooooo.

Just think what else we could have instead of Bebop.  Like how a slot was SQUANDERED on Samurai Champloo.

So yes Demarco's endless spam-trolling of Bebop ofends me.

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

Every holiday I hope for a Jojo marathon so I can make horrible jokes about yule logs and stocking stuffers and every time i'm disappointed. :(

But we got one last Christmas! I have faith that it will happen again someday, just not with this 2-parter obsessed arc. I get it; if JoJo had been chosen instead of Bebop, then it would be episodes 8-18 instead, and I guess that would have worked out pretty well, since the Rape Ape episode would have been before the cutoff. But maybe the Egypt Arc next year (I don't see JoJo going anywhere in February) will be better for a marathon? And it should REALLY hit its stride around Memorial Day, so don't give up hope!

I guess I got to see Polnareff getting shocked at a pig in the toilet enough times when JoJo: Stardust Crusaders Episode 10 appeared on the Toonami Marathon Stream. And Gundam IBO Episodes #26-#30 are currently streaming over there so I'm also getting to see the opening sequence of #26 enough. Those 2 episodes I lost part of when my satellite glitched. Also the first episode of the volleyball sequence of Hunter x Hunter.

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Shows what you know.  It was one of my favorites.  Watched it many times but had my fill eventually.  No matter how much you like something you eventually get sick of it.

It's wasting time, money, and resources.  I'm not going to watch but the fact is I know it is.  It's the principle of the thing. And they continue to squander opportunities in favor of continually running Bebop into the ground.  2 year break after over decade nonstop airing ooooo.

Just think what else we could have instead of Bebop.  Like how a slot was SQUANDERED on Samurai Champloo.

They weren't going to get anything else magical besides Bebop.  If you don't want to watch the show anymore, then don't watch the fucking show.  Other people do want to watch it again, and they are.  This block does not revolve around your personal wants, thank Christ.

21 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Excuse me for not stalking you and your viewing habits.

You do know that they spend money on these tapes, right?  Regardless of whether you consider that a waste of money (I'm sure you do), the fact of the matter is that they spent the money.  It would be a waste not to air the tapes at this point.  And why do you care what show is marathoned if you're not going to watch anyway?

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 9:53 PM, Top Gun said:

They weren't going to get anything else magical besides Bebop.  If you don't want to watch the show anymore, then don't watch the fucking show.  Other people do want to watch it again, and they are.  This block does not revolve around your personal wants, thank Christ.

I dunno, they got Outlaw Star.  Point is, money was wasted on their fetish that could have been put to better use elsewhere.  I'm not watching it.  Most other people don't want to watch it either.  Or did you forget when Toonami got cut in half thanks to Bebop and the other dead horse albatrosses being endlessly run into the ground by ASA and later Demarco?  WHO are they playing this for besides themselves?

9 hours ago, Top Gun said:

If you watched it enough to make it wear out its welcome, that's on you.  I haven't sat through it in 3 or 4 years, and I'm loving every second of this run.

I haven't watched it in that much time or longer, and the fact it is airing again... irks me.

You don't have to watch something to be sick of it either.  For a while there zombies were getting oversaturated to the point where I was just like, ENOUGH!  It made me wish Warm Bodies would become the Twilight of zombies and taint the genre to such a degree that nobody would want to touch it for years.  I didn't watch but a fraction of the zombie stuff going on in that time but that degree of running it into the ground in every fashion possible made me not want to have anything to do with it.  And no I'm never watching The Walking Dead.  I didn't get earnestly back into Zombie related media until ZombiU and only then because it was an honest to goodness survival horror game where you get to explore and pick apart your surroundings.

Even if I'm not watching Bebop it is still airing.  Budget and airtime being wasted, me wondering what else could have been.  I'm not even allowed to put it out of my mind thanks to Demarco's obsession.  And I can't so easily ignore it since I want to watch the things on either side of it; it's a conscious decision to change the channel before I feel disgust at their "next time" for Bebop.  It's the principle of the thing.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:45 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

Excuse me for not stalking you and your viewing habits.

You do know that they spend money on these tapes, right?  Regardless of whether you consider that a waste of money (I'm sure you do), the fact of the matter is that they spent the money.  It would be a waste not to air the tapes at this point.  And why do you care what show is marathoned if you're not going to watch anyway?

Shouldn't have do that since I always have to bring it up every time Ranlsa or some other fanboy or fangirl gets into a butt-knot over my stance on this topic.

HAHAHAHA.  Nothing was more hilarious than when Demarco pounced on those HD tapes as soon as he could and then got slapped back down to the ground when it got canceled like 3 episodes into the run along with the rest of the ASA dead horses.  So it would actually be quite satisfying if they never got to air the rest.  Not really sure they are getting their money back with how shitty the ratings are and worthless the ad revenue is, either.  WATCH BEBOP AND REVERSE MORTGAGE YOUR CATHETER!

Because it's the principle of the thing.  The show is being run into the ground to the tune of an all-night rerun as Demarco continues to indulge himself.

...you still don't get it.  There was no magical heaven-sent acquisition waiting in the wings that Bebop replaced.  There was no "might-have-been."  Toonami wanted to renew Bebop, a show that has been associated with [as] since its inception, a show that casual audiences have always associated with Cartoon Network, and thus they did.  There is no universe in which they didn't renew the series for comparatively little cost.  (The same absolutely holds true for Outlaw Star.)  If they hadn't been able to do so for that cost, they simply would have shoved some other rerun back at the end of the block, just as Ghost in the Shell is now.  You have absolutely zero evidence for any of your assertions.

People want to watch Bebop again.  I am people.  Other people in this folder are people.  You don't speak for anyone but yourself, and your bizarre twisted little vendettas don't apply to anyone but yourself.  If you manage to get sick of something without even watching it, then frankly, you have issues.  Either get over them or shut up about them.  The block getting cut in half had nothing to do with Bebop reruns being shown at its ass-end.  Quit fabricating blame out of nothing.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, Top Gun said:

...you still don't get it.  There was no magical heaven-sent acquisition waiting in the wings that Bebop replaced.  There was no "might-have-been."  Toonami wanted to renew Bebop, a show that has been associated with [as] since its inception, a show that casual audiences have always associated with Cartoon Network, and thus they did.  There is no universe in which they didn't renew the series for comparatively little cost.  (The same absolutely holds true for Outlaw Star.)  If they hadn't been able to do so for that cost, they simply would have shoved some other rerun back at the end of the block, just as Ghost in the Shell is now.  You have absolutely zero evidence for any of your assertions.

People want to watch Bebop again.  I am people.  Other people in this folder are people.  You don't speak for anyone but yourself, and your bizarre twisted little vendettas don't apply to anyone but yourself.  If you manage to get sick of something without even watching it, then frankly, you have issues.  Either get over them or shut up about them.  The block getting cut in half had nothing to do with Bebop reruns being shown at its ass-end.  Quit fabricating blame out of nothing.

Maybe not but it's still a waste of money.  Other shows have been associated with Adult Swim and they didn't go back and get them.  Once Trigun was gone it was gone, along with 6 other shows they lost the rights to in that year.  They showed Final Act to finish things for InuYasha fans that hadn't moved on in the intervening years, but didn't get the original InuYasha back.  With 167 episodes it makes for better back-end filler than the same 26 episodes shown a thousand times over.  They also lost the rights unexpectedly because they didn't even know how much longer they had it.  That's morbid incompetence right there.  I bet they had a giant doomsday clock counting down to Bebop's rights expiring, though.  Even FMA wasn't renewed, Demarco saying it was given its due and time to move on... but we can't do that with Bebop for some reason.

"You and other people in the folder" aren't justification for airing Bebop.  Also you can watch it via DVDs, Blu-Rays, or streaming services.  You don't have to depend on Toonami to watch it.  If you wanted to watch it that bad you'd have done that.  Umm, those reruns were taken off precisely because they were doing shit ratings, Bebop included.  Thats one happens when you run the same shows into the ground over and over.  I'm allowed to get tired with certain things being oversaturated.  Trust me I love zombies but sometimes enough is enough.  No matter how much you like something you'll eventually get sick of it.  

It's amazing how you can't read.  No anime series is more iconic to the block than Bebop.  Not Trigun, not Inuyasha, not FMA, not anything else.  It is a given that they will keep renewing it as long as they are financially able to do so.  As long as people want it to be on the block and keep watching it there, the (small amount of) money isn't being wasted.

I don't even get around to watching most of the shit I own on disk that I haven't seen, much less what I already have.  Airing in a weekly broadcast slot makes for a great external motivator and lets you talk about it with other people who are simultaneously watching it.  What a shock, not everyone consumes media in the exact way that you do.