UnevenEdge

Netflix to produce 30 new anime series in 2018.

Jman

Netflix being involved in anime isn't anything new.

They are making a big bet on trying to corner the weeb market. No one else really cares about that market, so they are largely unchallenged.

If Toonami/[as] were smart they would just focus on broadcast rights, instead of trying to get broadcast/streaming rights. the [as] stream is a trickle, so why bother with it. Focus instead on good original content to sell to streaming services, and leave Toonami as a uniquely broadcast event marketed to weebs in order to keep them from cutting the cord, which is where they get the majority of their cash from anyway.

They better make Death Note 2.

This would be interesting. Perhaps it would be set in like 2031, when a college-age offspring of Misa Amane and the late Light Yagami, who died in 2013, just months before he/she was born, learns of his/her father's fight to catch Kira (but somehow not that he WAS Kira, as Misa is careful to keep this detail away from him/her), learns of a new Kira and joins forces with Near, who is now in his mid-20's, to take down the new "Z"-Kira, who announces that he will be the "Kira to end all Kiras," and will bring destruction to the world!

Misa's offspring being female is most interesting, since it allows the chance for a romantic relationship to form between her and Near, and all the while, since Near is painfully aware of his new partner's bizarre origins, and the fact that her mother herself WAS a 2nd Kira at one point in time, it allows for an interesting dynamic to grow between them as she slowly learns the truth, while the Z-Kira wreaks an increasing amount of utter havoc on the future world.

Pretty compelling, huh?

This would be interesting. Perhaps it would be set in like 2031, when a college-age offspring of Misa Amane and the late Light Yagami, who died in 2013, learns of his/her father's fight to catch Kira (but somehow not that he WAS Kira, as Misa is careful to keep this detail away from him/her), learns of a new Kira and joins forces with Near, who is now in his mid-20's, to take down the new "Z"-Kira, who announces that he will be the "Kira to end all Kiras," and will bring destruction to the world!

Misa's offspring being female is most interesting, since it allows the chance for a romantic relationship to form between her and Near, and all the while, since Near is painfully aware of his new partner's bizarre origins, and the fact that her mother herself WAS a 2nd Kira at one point in time, it allows for an interesting dynamic to grow between them as she slowly learns the truth, while the Z-Kira wreaks an increasing amount of utter havoc on the future world.

Pretty compelling, huh?

I mean, I was referring to a sequel to the awful Netflix movie, but that could suffice.

Maybe make this a tie-in to officially canonize the Netflix movie to the original source material. ?

I believe Toonami might not even be the only adult-oriented anime block on TV anymore soon.

Futurama is going to Syfy on November 11th. Who knows what could come of that? Might even challenge DB Super's non-sports ratings dominance at 8:30 PM on Saturday nights! But I think we could be talking the return of Ani-Monday in 2018!

I believe Toonami might not even be the only adult-oriented anime block on TV anymore soon.

Futurama is going to Syfy on November 11th. Who knows what could come of that? Might even challenge DB Super's non-sports ratings dominance at 8:30 PM on Saturday nights! But I think we could be talking the return of Ani-Monday in 2018!

...... Futurama isn't anime.

Yeah, but Futurama was super successful as a lead-in/lead-out to anime on Adult Swim. A LOT more successful than Family Guy is now.

Besides, you're missing the point. Futurama may not be anime, but it is ANIMATION. Just the fact that Syfy is even trying regular animation for the first time in 6-1/2 years is pretty huge!