Irma is now a category 5 storm

Phillies

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been doing prep work since Sunday. Hopefully, it'll lose power by the time it gets near. It doesn't flood by me, but I'll probably lose power. I don't think we have any trees big enough to wall us in since Wilma hit, so I'm hopefully I won't get walled in. I just gotta calm down and make sure I stay cozy and safe.

Idk what any of this means but serious people are saying this is some actually unbelievable next level shit.

21273405_10100211161354898_3506887353244767871_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=9a89a4e0ab870253b462ebf9dd204153&oe=5A5A594A

Well, those colors are wind speeds.

Also, see that thing that the top that says "Min MSLP: 869.1mb"? That's the atmospheric pressure inside the storm measured in millibar - the lower it is (1013mb is normal atmospheric pressure right now), the stronger the storm is.

The worst storm ever recorded made landfall with a pressure of 903mbar - if Irma hits with something in the range of 800, it's going to completely decimate anything it rolls through.

Hurricanes are also measured in a unit called "Accumulated Cyclone Energy" - Harvey was rated 11.2 on that scale, Irma is currently rated at 26.9 and rising.

Well, those colors are wind speeds.

Also, see that thing that the top that says "Min MSLP: 869.1mb"? That's the atmospheric pressure inside the storm measured in millibar - the lower it is (1013mb is normal atmospheric pressure right now), the stronger the storm is.

The worst storm ever recorded made landfall with a pressure of 903mbar - if Irma hits with something in the range of 800, it's going to completely decimate anything it rolls through.

Hurricanes are also measured in a unit called "Accumulated Cyclone Energy" - Harvey was rated 11.2 on that scale, Irma is currently rated at 26.9 and rising.

Hold on though isn't this all speculation? I mean is that really what Irma status is^ It could loose power before it gets closer.

Yes, it can and probably will lose power before it gets closer.

That is what generally happens.

Unfortunately... it also has Jose behind it, which is contributing to Irma's low pressure system as it too forms into a Hurricane - realistically Irma should be losing power already, instead it's gaining it.