UnevenEdge

i really hope you toonaminites watch quality anime outside of this block

I'm watching 2 slice-of-life animes, as well as My Hero Academia Season 2, One Piece just starting with the Impel Down Arc, Welcome to the Ballroom which is shaping up to be another intense shonen series, and finally getting around to Yuri on Ice. So I consider the choices good ones. 

Yep

Encore, The Anime Network, and Sci-Fi all had nice anime libraries because they had a legit mix of variety with older and newer animation across a myriad of genres.

Cartoon Network lost itself many years ago when it decided to show nothing but shonen and then decided to modify that and make it nothing but brand new shonen. I don't even get why people wanted Toonami back. Did you forget that in its final years it aired nothing but crap like Zatch Bell, Pokémon, Ben 10, and Blue Dragon?

If anything, people should be clamoring for Sci-Fi to get back into the anime biz because their taste in anime is perfect.  SyFy aired the greatest anime of all-time, Monster, and it went unappreciated. Anime fans have lost their way. They think Dragon Ball Super is good.

I can't imagine ONLY watching what airs on Toonami because it's basically only one genre but you think having HxH and Jojo's is the worst it's been? I don't think so....and I don't watch Toonami mostly because I'm not into 85% of dubs but I can just look at the lineup and tell there are a few high quality shows.

If anything, people should be clamoring for Sci-Fi to get back into the anime biz because their taste in anime is perfect.  SyFy aired the greatest anime of all-time, Monster, and it went unappreciated. Anime fans have lost their way. They think Dragon Ball Super is good.

Ah yes, the perfect lineup that showed such all-time gems as Psychic Wars, Vampire Wars, Sword for Truth, Descendants of Darkness, MD Geist, and Virus Buster Serge.

Monster was so good HBO told them to fuck off about adapting it because it didn't sell for shit.

Zeni, you a busta.

I'd forgotten that Transformers: Dark of the Moon was a far better movie than Citizen Kane because it made way more money.

Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Seriously. It's the Twin Peaks of anime.

it is....but it has a somewhat happier ending if you really pay attention

they never say Utena died, just that she left the school, (some kids imply she's just at the hospital and was expelled but is recovering well), and Anthy points out that Utena pretty much ended Akio's control over the school (and her) for good, and Anthy leaves to go find Utena

they also show that She did indeed make everyone's lives better, Nanami is acting like a normal sister now, Touga and Saionji are friends (or possibly a couple if you pay attention to the subtext) again, Juri and Shirori's relationship seems to be healthy now

and Anthy's not letting her brother rape her anymore, she gets the fuck away from him and everything he stands for to find Utena

I honestly don't see a huge difference in the block.  They're pretty much sticking to the gameplan.  I mean, mostly pop anime with a few shiny newer things tossed in there and a few toonami-related nostalgia things.

If you want to watch anime - nobody's stopping you.

But Toonami is kind of a thing unto itself.  It has its own vibe, and I think it's been pretty much true to that throughout the AS run so far. 

And every show isn't my personal cup of tea.  But it all feels very Toonami to me.

I would say - don't go to a book store if you're looking for music. 

It's not like people don't know what Toonami is and basically always has been. 

If you want that, you know where to get it.  If you don't, go to a different place that has the stuff you want.

Life - she is really not so complicated as we try to make it.

Yep

Encore, The Anime Network, and Sci-Fi all had nice anime libraries because they had a legit mix of variety with older and newer animation across a myriad of genres.

Cartoon Network lost itself many years ago when it decided to show nothing but shonen and then decided to modify that and make it nothing but brand new shonen. I don't even get why people wanted Toonami back. Did you forget that in its final years it aired nothing but crap like Zatch Bell, Pokémon, Ben 10, and Blue Dragon?

Sci Fi and Encore never had anime libraries.  They licensed just like Toonami does.

Anime Network I'm not sure.  But I'm guessing such an enterprise must have been partnered with a specific distributor or distributors, as in, shared a parent company or something.

Also Toonami is still a thing.  Anime on the other networks you mention is no more.

my point?  you have personal taste.  Awesome for you. 

But don't try to run a network with it.

it'd probably end up in the same graveyard as those you cite as "successes".

we live in the internet age, there's nothing to stop you from finding the things you want to watch and watching those.

So, Toonami is Toonami and you know where to find it if you want that.

If you don't - there's a bzillion streaming sites out there with all kinds of anime and other stuff 24/7.

It flopped in the US.  All I'm saying.

It made a full run on TV, which is more than most properties get.  And the DVD release didn't go anywhere because Viz were complete fuck-ups who were notorious at that time for not properly handling non-Shonen Jump series, so people weren't willing to invest in the first part of the series with no guarantee that they'd ever release the rest.  Meanwhile Siren Visual in Australia put out the entire series, and a bunch of fans in the US imported it.  Amazing how things actually sell when you market them properly.

Most of my anime watching outside of Toonami consists of pre-2000 cel shaded stuff.

Tekkaman Blade and Patlabor are up next on my list.

Yes, got on those!

Patlabor can get repetitive if you try to tackle it all at once though, I'd just suggest the first OVA and movies and leave the rest for another time.

Used to be most of Toonami was great but lately it's been showing a ton of crap, like Unicorn and Tokyo Ghoul.  Hiatus and Shittuden continue to drag the block down like the albatrosses they are and One Piece is no longer there as the stalwart bright light and the end of the night.  Super showed promise with Beerus Saga being decent and some great slice of life filler eps but art and animation has been lacking and the Frieza Saga adaptation has been horrendous.  Stick to the movies and watch the filler eps would have been the thing to do but hopefully it will improve with the new sagas coming up.  So basically the only good shows on right now are Kai, JoJo, and Lupin.

I've got a chronic backlog in tons of places and didn't want to start anything new but I couldn't take it anymore and broke down and watched Seven Deadly Sins and it was godly.  Going to make a point to watch some more off-Toonami shows soon since it seems they can no longer be relied upon to bring the quality in the quantity they once did.

Monster was so good HBO told them to fuck off about adapting it because it didn't sell for shit.

Zeni, you a busta.

Monster is excellent.  Where Viz fucked up was rating the DVDs like they were fucking hentai and of course there was no guarantee the rest would come out, which is exactly what happened.

Monster is excellent.  Where Viz fucked up was rating the DVDs like they were fucking hentai and of course there was no guarantee the rest would come out, which is exactly what happened.

I'm at the very least hoping some company like Discotek wises up and releases it all properly.

I almost bought the Australian release of Tatami Galaxy but didn't have the mon--

I'm going to go buy the Australian release of--

[Out of stock]

The UK has a Blu-ray of it, but it's still the fancy limited-edition set.  I'm assuming/hoping they'll get a standard release at some point.

If not, there's always the Australian R4 DVD set.  You'll pay over $100 for it, but still.

Yeah, thanks for that intel.  It's 74 episodes so it could be cheaper but it's not that bad.  We paid a lot more for anime in general in the old days and people are still paying the piper for Aniplex stuff.

The UK has a Blu-ray of it, but it's still the fancy limited-edition set.  I'm assuming/hoping they'll get a standard release at some point.

I don't mind a fancy limited edition. All the ones I'm finding don't ship to the US or cost, like, 100+ euros.

I guess I did find one via UK Amazon that's only 40. May be the best I can get.

It made a full run on TV, which is more than most properties get.  And the DVD release didn't go anywhere because Viz were complete fuck-ups who were notorious at that time for not properly handling non-Shonen Jump series, so people weren't willing to invest in the first part of the series with no guarantee that they'd ever release the rest.  Meanwhile Siren Visual in Australia put out the entire series, and a bunch of fans in the US imported it.  Amazing how things actually sell when you market them properly.

We not only imported it (Which can already be a bit more expensive by itself), but also searched out new DVD equipment, and/or computer software just to watch it

I'm glad I got to watch most of it on old Syfy in 2009 and 2010!

Ah yes back when the Ani-Monday (Which then became Ani-Wednesday, which then became Ani-Thursday in it's final incarnation) revival was still going pretty strong. I believe Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was airing on Sci-Fi around the same time as Monster

Yeah, thanks for that intel.  It's 74 episodes so it could be cheaper but it's not that bad.  We paid a lot more for anime in general in the old days and people are still paying the piper for Aniplex stuff.

Oh yes in fact people sometimes will have to be willing to pay about $170 to own only a 12 episode series from Aniplex (and that's not even including shipping)

It certainly makes the about $120 (which is about how much I paid for my copy) imported 74 episode Monster complete DVD collection from Australia seem at least a little more reasonable 

Ah yes back when the Ani-Monday (Which then became Ani-Wednesday, which then became Ani-Thursday in it's final incarnation) revival was still going pretty strong. I believe Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was airing on Sci-Fi around the same time as Monster

People always put Gurren Lagaan on a pedestal as one of the greatest anime of all time, especially with it being its 10th anniversary, but no one talks about how Ani-Mondays was where it first aired in the US!

Wrong. It was Ani-Monday, then Ani-Tuesday, then Ani-Thursday. Ani-Wednesday was my unoriginal name to Chiller's three-week stab at an anime block of its own.

Wrong. It was Ani-Monday, then Ani-Tuesday, then Ani-Thursday. Ani-Wednesday was my unoriginal name to Chiller's three-week stab at an anime block of its own.

Gah that's right it was Tuesday not Wednesday, it's been so long that my memory had deceived me. Though I knew for SURE it was Ani-Thursday when it was suddenly canceled in 2011

People always put Gurren Lagaan on a pedestal as one of the greatest anime of all time, especially with it being its 10th anniversary, but no one talks about how Ani-Mondays was where it first aired in the US!

Yep Sci-Fi was the first channel in the US to acquire and fully air Gurren Lagann, right as it was just being released in the US in general

Toonami got the sloppy seconds

Yep Sci-Fi was the first channel in the US to acquire and fully air Gurren Lagann, right as it was just being released in the US in general

Toonami got the sloppy seconds

What Toonami did right was air more complete ending credits. Sci-Fi just sped them up and squished them at the left side of the screen while they cut off the audio to play their commercials. :P  Plus they had REALLY weird times to cut to THREE commercial breaks in the middle of each episode.

Actually it was because SyFy has more ad space. Still, that little downside made making fake edit lists for anime on SyFy way more interesting than those I did for [as]. What pieces of content could I cut from the episode while still making it sensible? ::]::

literally the worst it's been in years

Agreed. Here's My Top 10 Worst Toonami Shows:

1. Wulin Warriors

2. Dimension W

3. Dragon Ball Super

4. Hunter x Hunter

5. Zatch Bell

6. Every Transformers, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon

7. Megas XLR

8. Kill la Kill

9. Gundam Wing

10. Gundam: IBO

Honorable mention- Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann, Reboot, Superman: TAS, and every Tenchi series

If I missed anything, it's because it sucked that badly.

Agreed. Here's My Top 10 Worst Toonami Shows:

1. Wulin Warriors

2. Dimension W

3. Dragon Ball Super

4. Hunter x Hunter

5. Zatch Bell

6. Every Transformers, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon

7. Megas XLR

8. Kill la Kill

9. Gundam Wing

10. Gundam: IBO

Honorable mention- Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann, Reboot, Superman: TAS, and every Tenchi series

If I missed anything, it's because it sucked that badly.

You deserve that shit stain next to your name.