UnevenEdge

Forum Issues Reporting Thread

I don't know if this qualifies as a forum issue, but if you put in a call to send a password reset email, it doesn't get sent regardless of whether or not you put in your email or username.

i ordered coke and i got pepsi

Sounds like more of a happy accident to me :P

I just got back here a few minutes ago after being afk since like 4:00 PM pacific. There was serious lag, just as always. Now that I'm logged on though, it seems to be running smoother.

Yeah, for some reason we got a huge influx of guest/spammers.

I just disabled their ability to see the board so that should help a lot.

Now that The Great Migration has completed, I expect there to be some issues I overlooked.

If you find something wrong with how the forum is working, please let me know here.

the fact that you can't optimize a webserver on a 6 core machine to run a message board is probably an overlooked issue by many users.

the fact that you can't optimize a webserver on a 6 core machine to run a message board is probably an overlooked issue by many users.

It's software that hasn't been actively developed in 7 years that our admin doesn't want to switch off of because we'll lose features.

You can't "optimize" too many database queries.

It's software that hasn't been actively developed in 7 years that our admin doesn't want to switch off of because we'll lose features.

You can't "optimize" too many database queries.

so luuv is the blame?

also works wonders and very fasy on my end

It's not a joke, and we've explained it before on here and possibly on the planning board as well.

The SMF software was written several years ago and things have changed considerably since then.  People are accessing from different devices and the way the data is structured and processed isn't particularly compatible with today's internet.

So the basic premise here is the software will never be better than it is, it will continually grow more and more obsolete and difficult to process/use as time goes by.  Because of the way it's set up, it's an unnecessary drain on the server to run the software, whereas software that's more up to date and actively developed, is constantly being tooled to the advances in how the internet is used and processed.

SMF is an old slow horse in a world where we've almost progressed beyond cars. 

So look at it that way.  We need a new car, because this old horse can't really get where we need it to go particularly fast, because the roads now are built for cars, not horses.

It's not a joke, and we've explained it before on here and possibly on the planning board as well.

The SMF software was written several years ago and things have changed considerably since then.  People are accessing from different devices and the way the data is structured and processed isn't particularly compatible with today's internet.

So the basic premise here is the software will never be better than it is, it will continually grow more and more obsolete and difficult to process/use as time goes by.  Because of the way it's set up, it's an unnecessary drain on the server to run the software, whereas software that's more up to date and actively developed, is constantly being tooled to the advances in how the internet is used and processed.

SMF is an old slow horse in a world where we've almost progressed beyond cars. 

So look at it that way.  We need a new car, because this old horse can't really get where we need it to go particularly fast, because the roads now are built for cars, not horses.

I thought it was sarcasm sorry

my mind isn't fully processing everything

Could you reveal which urls I need to enter into my exceptions list for cookies for this site?  It didn't used to be an issue, but since I guess you moved in the last few days (? I haven't been here much), Firefox no longer recognized this to plug in the password, and I forgot it so I had to reset it.  Then it took me a dozen tries to not get error codes.  Well, I never stopped getting them, but it logged me in anyway. 

But now I have to globally accept cookies, which I don't like to do because I forget to stop accepting everything when I leave.  If I could just enter the urls that need me to accept them here, that'd be peachy.  I had to figure it out by trial and error on the old boards because advertisers, but that's not an issue here, right?

Just from a brief check, SMF is still being actively developed, with a new beta version of 2.1 having dropped within the past month.  It may not be particularly scalable, but it's not exactly a dead project or anything.

It is not being actively developed.

2.0 came out around my 21st birthday and I'm almost 30.

There's a big difference between an active project and one that's had a little work done recently.

Could you reveal which urls I need to enter into my exceptions list for cookies for this site?  It didn't used to be an issue, but since I guess you moved in the last few days (? I haven't been here much), Firefox no longer recognized this to plug in the password, and I forgot it so I had to reset it.  Then it took me a dozen tries to not get error codes.  Well, I never stopped getting them, but it logged me in anyway. 

But now I have to globally accept cookies, which I don't like to do because I forget to stop accepting everything when I leave.  If I could just enter the urls that need me to accept them here, that'd be peachy.  I had to figure it out by trial and error on the old boards because advertisers, but that's not an issue here, right?

Why don't you globally accept cookies? That's incredibly silly.

We changed domains recently, that's all.

It is not being actively developed.

2.0 came out around my 21st birthday and I'm almost 30.

There's a big difference between an active project and one that's had a little work done recently.

That's 9 years without updating

That's 9 years without updating

It does "update". Just not meaningfully.

For example I had to hack the source code just to get it to use a modern database API so we don't have to run it on an insecure version of the PHP interpreter.

For example I had to hack the source code just to get it to use a modern database API so we don't have to run it on an insecure version of the PHP interpreter.

That horrible

So besides ibp or ipb what other forum software is out there

TALK ENGLISH

there's actually a lot.

nodeBB!  Lithium!  Proboard, PHPbb, vbulletin, SMF, Vanilla, Punbb, lefora, discuz, beehive, xenforo, mybb, ikonboard, phorum, discourse, and probably a ton of other ones.

The problem is it's tough to find one that's workable content-wise and server-wise at the same time.

Personally like, with IPB, there's a few things I really don't like about it.  But it's better for the server, so I'm willing to try to figure how to make it work.

What would be great is if we could find something as responsive server-side as IPB, and as flexible content/permission-wise as the Proboard was and the SMF sort of is (though I'd actually like even more flexibility permission-wise than even SMF seems capable of).

Permissions interest me because I think there's a lot you can solve with that one element.  A lot of the larger pieces of the message board puzzle I think ultimately land in how configurable and complex the permission system is.  At least in terms of content and moderation.  But also other things.

there's actually a lot.

nodeBB!  Lithium!  Proboard, PHPbb, vbulletin, SMF, Vanilla, Punbb, lefora, discuz, beehive, xenforo, mybb, ikonboard, phorum, discourse, and probably a ton of other ones.

The problem is it's tough to find one that's workable content-wise and server-wise at the same time.

Personally like, with IPB, there's a few things I really don't like about it.  But it's better for the server, so I'm willing to try to figure how to make it work.

What would be great is if we could find something as responsive server-side as IPB, and as flexible content/permission-wise as the Proboard was and the SMF sort of is (though I'd actually like even more flexibility permission-wise than even SMF seems capable of).

Permissions interest me because I think there's a lot you can solve with that one element.  A lot of the larger pieces of the message board puzzle I think ultimately land in how configurable and complex the permission system is.  At least in terms of content and moderation.  But also other things.

Why not try vbulletin and see what it's like

I can't see my likes received....

I need to see my UEMB clout.

The Likes plugin is not functioning correctly after the move. I'm not sure why it isn't, but it's on the bottom of my list of things to fix right now.

TALK ENGLISH

The doohickey that lets the site talk to the server so it can save the posts and stuff was old and the server doesn't talk that way anymore so I had to make it use a different way to talk to the server, otherwise we'd have to use old stuff on the server that's easily hacked.

Why not try vbulletin and see what it's like

I'm looking at 5 different programs at the moment.  IPB and a few others.  The current plan is to try to get some version of IPB to work the way I need it to work if possible.  And while I'm doing that, I will also be looking at other software as time permits and passing that on to KN to check out to see what he thinks if I find something I think is better than SMF.

I'm looking at 5 different programs at the moment.  IPB and a few others.  The current plan is to try to get some version of IPB to work the way I need it to work if possible.  And while I'm doing that, I will also be looking at other software as time permits and passing that on to KN to check out to see what he thinks if I find something I think is better than SMF.

well between paid and free

thats the only choice we have so far

these are issues that popped up for whatever reason due to the server migration. 

my guess is just that, because it's a new server, the way it processes things isn't exactly the same, and this being old software as previously mentioned, there are things that are probably running into processing issues on the new server that the old server, which was slightly different, didn't have issues with.  Or did, but they manifested differently.

Basically as I understand it, the new server is now processing this dinosaur board, and as a result of that, things are going to be a little glitchy for a bit.

these are issues that popped up for whatever reason due to the server migration. 

my guess is just that, because it's a new server, the way it processes things isn't exactly the same, and this being old software as previously mentioned, there are things that are probably running into processing issues on the new server that the old server, which was slightly different, didn't have issues with.  Or did, but they manifested differently.

Basically as I understand it, the new server is now processing this dinosaur board, and as a result of that, things are going to be a little glitchy for a bit.

So should we make a betting pool on when it would be fixed?

JK