UnevenEdge

Bug Meat, would you?

GaiusIuliusCaesar

Entomophagy, the consumption of arthropods, such as insects, arachnids, and crustaceans. Most of us are comfortable with the latter, we eat things like lobsters, crabs, and shrimp. But what about land based arthropods, like spiders, ants, and grubs?

People eat them all over the world, except here and in Europe. There are known health benefits, bugs are more nutrient dense, and they more sustainable ecologically. They require a fraction of the resources of traditional animal husbandry.

So, would you eat bugs? if they were offered to you in an appetizing fashion, ie they looked and smelled good?

i've tried some pretty standard bug snacks but it always turns out the same, i can't with the eating of the whole insect.... it makes me wretch. the larger the bug, the better. if it can be cracked open to eat the large amount of "meat" inside, i'm good with it as long as it tastes good. but popping the whole body of an insect into my mouth is no bueno.

Mini_Ghost[/member]

i mean, i'd eat it. like i said, as long as i don't have to consume it as a whole and it tastes good. its the little guys in their natural form just cooked and consumed as they are that gets me gagging.... idaf what they taste like, i can't stomach it.

Entomophagy, the consumption of arthropods, such as insects, arachnids, and crustaceans. Most of us are comfortable with the latter, we eat things like lobsters, crabs, and shrimp. But what about land based arthropods, like spiders, ants, and grubs?

People eat them all over the world, except here and in Europe. There are known health benefits, bugs are more nutrient dense, and they more sustainable ecologically. They require a fraction of the resources of traditional animal husbandry.

So, would you eat bugs? if they were offered to you in an appetizing fashion, ie they looked and smelled good?

I would

especially considering I've heard that Scorpions taste like Pork rinds

I would

especially considering I've heard that Scorpions taste like Pork rinds

Never heard that, usually people compare exotic meat to chicken, and its never actually anything like chicken. Pork rinds is an interesting analogy. I would assume it would be closer to lobster given its appearance but never having tried it I can only guess.

its a viable protein...not to mention self sustaining...even if you "over farmed" their really would be no shortage....I'm all for it, as a matter of fact, I've eaten cheddar meal worms (you can buy them at hottopic) and they taste like cheetos

Never heard that, usually people compare exotic meat to chicken, and its never actually anything like chicken. Pork rinds is an interesting analogy. I would assume it would be closer to lobster given its appearance but never having tried it I can only guess.

actually pork rinds are just tough bits of pig skin with lard attached that get deep fried and then injected with scorpion venom.

because - that is the flavoring.

actually pork rinds are just tough bits of pig skin with lard attached that get deep fried and then injected with scorpion venom.

because - that is the flavoring.

I've only ever had what I assume is the Italian version of that, which is a section of pig skin boiled in sauce. Its quite good. As is the shredded and rendered version of that on bread.

I don't think I've ever been to a hot topic before, not really my aesthetic.

I buy geeky mugs/cups and Sailor Moon stuff from there.

As for the bug eating, I'd be down with scorpions since I have no problems eating meat from whole crawfish which looks pretty similar. Crickets and grasshoppers probably won't bother me if they're cooked well, but things like roaches gross me out to the point that I'll eat them if cannibalism is my only other option.

I buy geeky mugs/cups and Sailor Moon stuff from there.

As for the bug eating, I'd be down with scorpions since I have no problems eating meat from whole crawfish which looks pretty similar. Crickets and grasshoppers probably won't bother me if they're cooked well, but things like roaches gross me out to the point that I'll eat them if cannibalism is my only other option.

if you do ever eat a scorpion I think you're supposed to eat the shell too, it's not like eating a crawfish where you eat the meat and discard the exoskeleton