UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS!! ATTACK ON TITAN FINALE, PART 1 TO AIR ON 9/9 AT 12:30 AM!!

Seems like Friday morning is the go-to to announce lineups now!

FB_IMG_1691771198168.jpg

The only bad news is that Toonami contracted back down to 3 hours, but I was struggling to stay up for the last hour anyway. It's probably academic that Metalocalypse is moving to weeknights so we'll have a mixed-block Superhero lineup of MHA, MAWS, and Venture Bros. At least, that's what I would do, but if they're gonna rerun MAWS after MHA, just make it part of Toonami, already!

On a personal note, my night on 9/9 is looking pretty damn epic. Going to see Coheed and Cambria, then come home for new FLCL and AOT!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Is that really a surprise or a bad thing? Let’s make the 3 hours we have great before thinking about adding more time. Something they have struggled with for the entire year. 

Anyways, I’m glad we can finally get this out of the way. Still think after all this time it would have been better to pair the two up later this year, but I suppose it would still be good if we can get part 2 before 2023 ends. 

So here’s what 9/16 looks like

12 - Grunge

12:30 - empty

1 - empty

1:30 - maybe empty maybe One Piece

2 - Naruto

2:30 - MHA

AoT allows them to not have to split the spotlight as much, but they still have lots of work to do the following week. And I’m a noticer, and I notice on 8/19 Punk Hazard airs its final episode and then they stall 3 weeks, so I’m still not writing off One Piece leaving again. 

• Like 1

Time dang about

This was my expectation for 9/9

And I think we’ll have a Batman Day movie on 9/16 maybe even a movie on 9/23 and they start Uzumaki on 9/30

Its certainly is sus that One Piece is off the block 3 weeks in a row after the filler arc airs but I believe there’s one more episode that’s not part of Dressrosa that’s unaccounted for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coincidentally, it’s right when the Netflix show is certain to come out.  I’m sure DeMarco doesn’t care, since he didn’t even dunk on Netflix Bebop (although that may have been Steve Blum, who was defensive of those actors, refusing to go for the kidneys).  But it’s a weird coincidence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Oh man, I finally get to see the shitty ending everyone hated!

Allegedly, the anime is supposed to deviate away from the manga ending. So we may either get an end that isn’t as bad, or we get to witness an end people hate even more. 

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It’s certainly is sus that One Piece is off the block 3 weeks in a row after the filler arc airs but I believe there’s one more episode that’s not part of Dressrosa that’s unaccounted for.

8/12 - 627 Luffy Dies at Sea! The Pirate alliance comes apart!

8/19 - 628 - A major turnaround! Luffy’s iron fist strikes!

??? - 629 Startling! The Big News Shakes up the New World 

Episode 629 drops Hands Up and swaps the OP to Wake Up, marking the start of a new arc/episode batch. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Time dang about

This was my expectation for 9/9

And I think we’ll have a Batman Day movie on 9/16 maybe even a movie on 9/23 and they start Uzumaki on 9/30

Its certainly is sus that One Piece is off the block 3 weeks in a row after the filler arc airs but I believe there’s one more episode that’s not part of Dressrosa that’s unaccounted for.

My theory is we go back to 2 episodes a week in Dressrosa. They're just trying to get the contract amended. But they will probably have "banked" enough episodes when they do restart it to make it to the end of 2023 with double OP whenever it's not a marathon/event night, and then they can REALLY bring it back to contractual double OP in 2024.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Allegedly, the anime is supposed to deviate away from the manga ending. So we may either get an end that isn’t as bad, or we get to witness an end people hate even more. 

8/12 - 627 Luffy Dies at Sea! The Pirate alliance comes apart!

8/19 - 628 - A major turnaround! Luffy’s iron fist strikes!

??? - 629 Startling! The Big News Shakes up the New World 

Episode 629 drops Hands Up and swaps the OP to Wake Up, marking the start of a new arc/episode batch. 

629 is categorized as season 9 on CR and FUNi while Dressrosa is season 10 even though the OP changed on 629 as you say.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

629 is categorized as season 9 on CR and FUNi while Dressrosa is season 10 even though the OP changed on 629 as you say.

Wiki lists it as episode 1 of season 17. I don’t think CR cuts the seasons up correctly. If Toonami is going straight to Toei to get these episodes, I’d assume they are going by the proper breakdown rather than the CR one. 

45 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Wherever 629 counts in the seasonal listings, I'm coming very close to just asking Demarco on Twitter if Dressrosa is going to air on Toonami, thereby settling this stupid guessing game once and for all.

Please do, I’d love to be able to put this to rest. Though, if it is leaving, I doubt he will answer. 

IMG_0649.jpeg

14 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Wiki lists it as episode 1 of season 17. I don’t think CR cuts the seasons up correctly. If Toonami is going straight to Toei to get these episodes, I’d assume they are going by the proper breakdown rather than the CR one. 

Please do, I’d love to be able to put this to rest. Though, if it is leaving, I doubt he will answer. 

IMG_0649.jpeg

Turns out CR is the only place that 629 isn’t the start of Dressrosa. FUNi has 629 start Dressrosa and more importantly the DVDs start Dressrosa with episode 629.

One more thing I can confirm. The bumps use clips from 629 so if that is what Toei considers the start of Dressrosa then Toonami will at least be showing a chunk of the arc.

To play devil fruit’s advocate… if 629 is actually the last episode Toonami got then there’s no reason they absolutely have to air it before they remove the show again.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If anyone is interested in bothering Demarco, someone should ask him if AoT is the show they were waiting on back in April. 

Here’s our answer courtesy of Sketch. Little worried about using “was” in the discussion of this matter as it implies it fell through and will never come. 

IMG_0650.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well the word of mouth going about the ending doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but let's just get Attack on Titan finished on Toonami anyway.  It's been a long-running series for the block, so might as well show the ending, however good, bad, or ugly it is. 

And who knows, maybe it will be better in animated form, or I'll actually enjoy it more compared to others.  

And yeah I really hope this isn't a not so stealthy way to get rid of One Piece.  I don't want to jump to conclusions on that, but it is a bit concerning.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Wherever 629 counts in the seasonal listings, I'm coming very close to just asking Demarco on Twitter if Dressrosa is going to air on Toonami, thereby settling this stupid guessing game once and for all.

So did you or a anyone else ask Demarco yet? :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well the word of mouth going about the ending doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but let's just get Attack on Titan finished on Toonami anyway.  It's been a long-running series for the block, so might as well show the ending, however good, bad, or ugly it is. 

And who knows, maybe it will be better in animated form, or I'll actually enjoy it more compared to others.  

And yeah I really hope this isn't a not so stealthy way to get rid of One Piece.  I don't want to jump to conclusions on that, but it is a bit concerning.

So did you or a anyone else ask Demarco yet? :D

I'm not going to ask him if One Piece will be back. We'll see soon enough if it is or not.

And yeah from the sound of it the other thing probably fell through. Hopefully that doesn't mean they have no additional acquisitions to show before the end of the year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCPissPants said:

I guess either Jujutsu Kaisen and/or Bleach could have been the shows that fell through. Couldn't they just settle for Oshi no Ko or some Sentai show? The big shonen seem unobtainable.

They are unobtainable. On the slim chance they are obtainable, it takes way too much sacrifice just to land one show. But Demarco can’t get out of the mindset of Toonami being able to effortlessly land every Jump show that releases and would rather air nothing and continue chasing a dream, over settling for B shows and actually having content on the block. 

2 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

He’s gonna be thinking about you the entire time!

313FF55B-9513-4F15-BBBA-D4A9F6A23D8D.jpeg.ed5675648bdae1202de1f476addf22d0.jpeg

I have no doubt he will be. Taking a vacation from work is not taking a vacation from being angry on twitter every day. He is probably thinking about “haters” right this very second. Expect a “I’m bored, AMA” tweet before this vacation ends. He needs his monthly quota of attention and validation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

They are unobtainable. On the slim chance they are obtainable, it takes way too much sacrifice just to land one show. But Demarco can’t get out of the mindset of Toonami being able to effortlessly land every Jump show that releases and would rather air nothing and continue chasing a dream, over settling for B shows and actually having content on the block. 

I'm hoping that we get a Made in Abyss type surprise. Even an older Sentai show like Gate would be cool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I have no doubt he will be. Taking a vacation from work is not taking a vacation from being angry on twitter every day. He is probably thinking about “haters” right this very second. Expect a “I’m bored, AMA” tweet before this vacation ends. He needs his monthly quota of attention and validation. 

The fucking Corona commercial but it’s Demarco reaching for his phone, typing up ‘Toonami’ on the search bar and making himself mad. :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

7E891706-A3EA-422B-B02C-41310160281F.gif.a850e6b46aafefabb59b82ba37e34a8f.gif

• Haha 3

Man, fuck being angry at TV on vacation.  Get drunk, enjoy it, and relax.  You see the beauty of the world in the tropics and you wonder why you’re angry over petty shit.

Then you fly back and you get super mad the Superman show using anime doesn’t have a Maxima that looks like the elf chick from Bastard!! or a villain that looks like Dark Schneider hitting on Lois.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 3

Well I do hope they still get Bleach at least.  It shouldn't be unobtainable since it's not a Crunchyroll show.  The final arc has been done really well in the anime, and they already aired 366 episodes of it on ASA and Toonami.

And of course Demarco would go on vacation now. 🤣

And wow he's really aged!

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well I do hope they still get Bleach at least.  It shouldn't be unobtainable since it's not a Crunchyroll show.  The final arc has been done really well in the anime, and they already aired 366 episodes of it on ASA and Toonami.

Are we sure it isn't a Sailor Moon Crystal situation where Mickey Mouse paid Viz a bunch of money for exclusive streaming rights? Demarco's been silent on Bleach's airability, so maybe hope?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MCPissPants said:

Are we sure it isn't a Sailor Moon Crystal situation where Mickey Mouse paid Viz a bunch of money for exclusive streaming rights? Demarco's been silent on Bleach's airability, so maybe hope?

We are at least sure Bleach isn’t an exclusive. Crystal was Hulu only so we knew it could never come (which was a good thing), it’s slim, but Bleach isn’t entirely off the table. 

Unfortunately, for all we know Bleach was the April show they seemingly blew the deal on. Back in the spring, Demarco explicitly ignored all questions about Bleach. From asking if it could be on the block to innocent questions like asking if he has checked it out. It did seem like he was taking precautions to not accidentally trip an NDA. And at the same time of doing this he had no issue talking about wanting JJK, reiterating Demon Slayer S2 was still off the table and wishing Witch from Mercury was coming their way. So it’s not that he was just avoiding show talk in general, he was explicitly avoiding Bleach talk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

We are at least sure Bleach isn’t an exclusive. Crystal was Hulu only so we knew it could never come (which was a good thing), it’s slim, but Bleach isn’t entirely off the table. 

Unfortunately, for all we know Bleach was the April show they seemingly blew the deal on. Back in the spring, Demarco explicitly ignored all questions about Bleach. From asking if it could be on the block to innocent questions like asking if he has checked it out. It did seem like he was taking precautions to not accidentally trip an NDA. And at the same time of doing this he had no issue talking about wanting JJK, reiterating Demon Slayer S2 was still off the table and wishing Witch from Mercury was coming their way. So it’s not that he was just avoiding show talk in general, he was explicitly avoiding Bleach talk. 

What other platform is Bleach on? I thought the entire Bleach franchise got removed from Crunchyroll, Tubi, and all competitors. 

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That promo was uploaded months ago on YouTube and apparently whenever it was going to happen they were planning to air it at Midnight.

If this was on Youtube months ago, why is it only now being a topic of discussion? Considering how big Attack on Titan's online fanbase is, surely somebody would have talked about it. All Tweets about the dub were pissed off people asking where the hell the dub is for months on end with no discussion of this promo. Crunchyroll users would be really pissed if the dub has been done for months and Toonami was just locking it in their little jail just finding the magical time to air it. 

• Like 1

It wasn’t a public video and those who came across it didn’t make it public till after Toonami announced it via Facebook.

Toonami had several openings to air this so I don’t believe for a second that they were intentionally holding it off for months.

Far more likely they had difficulty negotiating with Crunchyroll because lawyers could argue back and forth about whether or not Toonami’s deal for the series included these special episodes.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Far more likely they had difficulty negotiating with Crunchyroll because lawyers could argue back and forth about whether or not Toonami’s deal for the series included these special episodes

If it's Crunchyroll, that's petty. Why not just let Toonami air the thing and stream it next day? With Toonami losing >80% of its 2012 audience, there's no way it would actually hurt Crunchyroll. Whether Toonami or Crunchyroll is at fault for the dub delay, this really caused a shitstorm on Twitter.

• Like 1

I can understand why CR would at least try get the dub premiere for themselves even if that is petty and unnecessary.

But I suspect the negotiations were mainly concerning whether or not the two special episodes were considered part of the season Toonami already paid for or if CR could demand an additional hefty fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Crunchyroll really didn’t want to give this to toonami did they?

We have known for years that Crunchyroll is constantly working against Toonami. They throw a table scrap now and then to feign being an ally but deep down have no interest in working with this block. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • D'oh 2

15 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

We have known for years that Crunchyroll is constantly working against Toonami. They throw a table scrap now and then to feign being an ally but deep down have no interest in working with this block. 

Thing is this was them trying to argue an hour long episode doesn’t count for the prior toonami deal and that they’d have to pay extra   An argument that doesn’t hold much water. Its not a movie or an ova it’s an extra long episode 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

Thing is this was them trying to argue an hour long episode doesn’t count for the prior toonami deal and that they’d have to pay extra   An argument that doesn’t hold much water. Its not a movie or an ova it’s an extra long episode 

It’s sort of an unprecedented thing because of how The Final Season became two seasons and two hour specials.

I can’t say for sure how the payment structure even went. Though it’s unlikely they paid only once even if it’s all considered one season. They probably paid for Part 1 in 2021 or late 2020 and for Part 2 in 2022.

There might have been a point where Part 2 was intended to finish the series and MAPPA could not pull it off and had to decide to do a short season, a theatrical movie, a direct to video or ultimately two long episodes that aired on TV.

The way things turned out might have entitled Toonami to those episodes without additional payment but more likely it just gave them first right to refusal and CR could price it as high as they like unless Kodansha had any say in the matter.

Naturally Toonami doesn’t want to pay more unless it’s the only way to get the episodes and if CR can’t have the premiere unless Toonami walks away then they’ll try to coerce them to give up by charging a lot. But they’d be happy enough to take the silver medal of whatever extra cash they can squeeze out of Toonami if they can’t force Toonami to walk like they did with Demon Slayer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

When you are dealing with legalease, any oddity is an argument. Toonami’s entitlement was to the TV anime. The TV specials are just different enough that they can get the lawyers involved to hash it out. 

Was it worth it? I hardly think so since it seems Toonami’s entitlement stood the entire time, preventing CR from releasing the dub on their service. Where instead they could have just let Toonami air it in May and had it up on their service the next day. But, when you are a near monopoly on the industry, you can afford to do dumb things just to mess with your competitors. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2