UnevenEdge

Doomerism: an apparently real social phenomenon now

Icarus27k

For an example of it, read this column. 

https://medium.com/@CollapseSurvival/the-profound-loneliness-of-being-collapse-aware-28ac7a705b9

It's basically an attitude of pessimism and fatalism that many people have recently adopted. Is it big enough to call it a movement?  Maybe.

Climate change plays a big role in it, but I'm not convinced it accurately aligns with the science of climate change. I think it also has to do with the prevalence of social media that you can use to doomscroll. There are also influences from the Trump presidency, the challenges to democracy, the COVID-19 pandemic and wars (both actually occuring and hypothesized). 

Seriously guys, I think you need to chill. When you're so pessimistic that you think computers are going to kill you (AI), you're just spiraling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I saw this somewhere and what I really feel like is this upper middle class is starting to feel the sting from the 1% and they just aren't taking it well.

Those of us that have perpetually been on the bottom rung see the shit crumbling but we just learn to adapt, and adapt hard. But what about those that had a relatively lavish life compared to the lower class and have to actually cope with less than abundance. NOW it's a problem.

Again, I'm no economist and the looming beast of there not being enough will definitely hit me and those with even less first, I just don't have an impending doom mentality....it's really just a quiet apathy until we are forced to fight for what we have. 

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I don’t think I’ll be killed by a machine, the internet is not part of my real world problems. I’ve struggled keeping food on the table plus other things. But I haven’t had much faith in humanity in a very, very long time.

I can laugh. I can have outlets, stay in shape, do what I need to do. But I’ll always have feelings of dread somewhere in the middle. All the time. I can’t remember the last day I had where I didn’t think to myself at least once how much of a fucking disgrace mankind is.

If that makes me a lame nihilist then whatever. My grandpa was a firm believer that we’re all ants waiting to be stepped on. Hereditary bullshit I guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Seight said:

Part of the problem is that we have never had more ways to quickly check whether things are fucked up or not than we do now.

This.  Usually our problems were in the background and we trusted people would fix them before we all died.

And as dirty and cynical as I am, I still trust people will fix the worst of our problems, even if out of blatant self interest.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

My problem with many so-called 'doomers' is that it just seems like it's an excuse to be an extra large douchebag. If everything is going to end anyway, don't wanna do anything that might even remotely slow that roll. Don't want to conserve anything, don't want to be 'inconvenienced' in any way no matter how small, why be nice at all if everyone is going to die in 50-100 years anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

I have zero faith in humanity fixing this shit, but I see no reason to be a massive asshole and make it worse for people I encounter.

Things still matter because we exist right now. That being said, as a person who has like super minority status, it ain't my job to fix shit. My job is to survive and find a way to live that keeps me sane. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 7/31/2023 at 3:45 PM, Icarus27k said:

For an example of it, read this column. 

https://medium.com/@CollapseSurvival/the-profound-loneliness-of-being-collapse-aware-28ac7a705b9

It's basically an attitude of pessimism and fatalism that many people have recently adopted. Is it big enough to call it a movement?  Maybe.

Climate change plays a big role in it, but I'm not convinced it accurately aligns with the science of climate change. I think it also has to do with the prevalence of social media that you can use to doomscroll. There are also influences from the Trump presidency, the challenges to democracy, the COVID-19 pandemic and wars (both actually occuring and hypothesized). 

Seriously guys, I think you need to chill. When you're so pessimistic that you think computers are going to kill you (AI), you're just spiraling. 

AI AI AI...

sounds ...

ouch

with no bounds

• Thanks 1

I can’t speak for everyone else, but yeah. I don’t hold those type of beliefs or thoughts for pure fun. I loathe having them actually.

I haven’t met anyone who enjoys running over kittens/beating the shit out of the elderly who just goes “hey haha we’re all gonna fucking die and it’s a simulation so let’s destroy everything even more!” Not how it works.

My morality doesn’t go completely out the window just because there’s, oh I don’t know... more than 400 mass shootings in this year so far, I guess?  And every name in the book I’ve been called by white supremacists? And the Trump presidency already mentioned as an ultimate highlight for this ‘brand new’ ideal? And all of 2016 that was MORE THAN enough to convince me I’m trapped in the apocalypse?

It’s one thing if your life is peachy clean and you don’t like some snob telling you it’s pointless. Hey! I’m sure you’re delightful to your nieces and nephews! Your life DOES hold value!

But this shit globe is burning. No one’s asking you to stop brushing your teeth and have a disregard for human life. Just roll up your windows and lock your doors. The point is to be vigilant and to maintain a lack of trust in others when there’s already little to no humanity left. Not saying you have to be cruel.

Edited by [classic swim]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but yeah. I don’t hold those type of beliefs or thoughts for pure fun. I loathe having them actually.

I haven’t met anyone who enjoys running over kittens/beating the shit out of the elderly who just goes “hey haha we’re all gonna fucking die and it’s a simulation so let’s destroy everything even more!” Not how it works.

My morality doesn’t go completely out the window just because there’s, oh I don’t know... more than 400 mass shootings in this year so far, I guess?  And every name in the book I’ve been called by white supremacists? And the Trump presidency already mentioned as an ultimate highlight for this ‘brand new’ ideal? And all of 2016 that was MORE THAN enough to convince me I’m trapped in the apocalypse?

It’s one thing if your life is peachy clean and you don’t like some snob telling you it’s pointless. Hey! I’m sure you’re delightful to your nieces and nephews! Your life DOES hold value!

But this shit globe is burning. No one’s asking you to stop brushing your teeth and have a disregard for human life. Just roll up your windows and lock your doors. The point is to be vigilant and less trustworthy when there’s already little to no humanity left. Not saying you have to be cruel.

"trapped in the apocalypse" (well said :):

upside down, topsy turvy world swimming around..

tsunami turbulence in the breathable air

gusts of uncertainty...

whew..

undercurrents of instability...

ouch

• 2 weeks later...

In 2014, before the Paris Climate Agreement was signed, it was commonly thought the long-term mean of global temperature would rise 4°C above preindustrial level by 2100.

In 2021, when the following New York Times article was written just before the COP26 meeting in Glasgow, the assumption was 3°C by 2100.

Today, it's 2.6°C by 2100. I hope this framing of progress is helpful.

Yes, There Has Been Progress on Climate. No, It’s Not Nearly Enough. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/10/25/climate/world-climate-pledges-cop26.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Thanks 1