UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS!! New Watanabe joint Lazarus announced for Toonami!!

Watanabe is like…the one guy who will still work with DeMarco.  It probably helps that while he never had the biggest influence in Japan, the AS/Toonami crowd both revere him as a saint and understands he won’t just do Bebop variants till the end of time.

• Sad 1

Produced by anime studio MAPPA, "Lazarus" also recruits the contributions of "John Wick" series director Chad Stahelski, who designed several action sequences for the series, along with the musical talents of saxophonist Kamasi Washington; producer, DJ and musician Floating Points; and producer, DJ and musician Bonobo. The trio will provide a jazz and electronic score for the project.

LETS

FUCKING

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 3

They announced it via press release this morning. Would have been a big surprise at the panel but oh well.

Getting the John Wick director and Watanabe for one project is pretty rad. That’s a killer combo for the action direction and hopefully MAPPA brings their A game but who is writing the scripts? The scripts have been the downfall of every Toonami original thus far.

One thing that rather ticks me off though is they announced Watanabe will be at the panel only after the reservation spots were already claimed. If it was a total surprise that’s slightly less of a dick move but now people know they won’t get a chance to see Watanabe unless they luck out waiting in line. Oh and the panel isn’t being live streamed officially either.

IMG_1422.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

I know the Streams department went under but um... they should still have the basic equipment to shoot and stream to their Youtube. I mean, I just saw a clip montage of what they have set up at the event. They should at least upload some snippets.

image.jpeg.4d2978ab41024f3208b07f5868f1890a.jpeg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

They announced it via press release this morning. Would have been a big surprise at the panel but oh well.

Seems like a waste to not have just waited two more days, with the entire event nearly called off, at least Toonami could have carried with its announcements.

38 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

@Toonamiguy321 call ‘em a baby bitch!

If this show was his big announcement he has been saving up, it’s not just that the news broke early, it’s another original with no air date. We want to know what the block is doing today, not a year or more from now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Seems like a waste to not have just waited two more days, with the entire event nearly called off, at least Toonami could have carried with its announcements.

If this show was his big announcement he has been saving up, it’s not just that the news broke early, it’s another original with no air date. We want to know what the block is doing today, not a year or more from now. 

I have little to no expectation that anything other than originals will be discussed at that panel. I’m hoping to see previews of Ninja Kamui, Uzumaki, the FLCLs and obviously this new show. I won’t entirely rule out an acquisition if they actually got Bleach or something biggish coming this Fall but I’m not counting on it. As much as I’d like to see them spring another Gridman type announcement on us at this panel I won’t get my hopes up for such a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watanabe and Bonobo? Let's fucking gooooooooooo.

(The premiere dates for the already-announced originals are all I was expecting out of the Toonami panel on Saturday, so I'm not too bummed about this getting spoiled before then. At least, not as much as Demarco probably is. :P)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I have little to no expectation that anything other than originals will be discussed at that panel. I’m hoping to see previews of Ninja Kamui, Uzumaki, the FLCLs and obviously this new show. I won’t entirely rule out an acquisition if they actually got Bleach or something biggish coming this Fall but I’m not counting on it. As much as I’d like to see them spring another Gridman type announcement on us at this panel I won’t get my hopes up for such a thing.

My expectations are low as well, but they really gotta get it through their head that the block cannot subsist on originals and people aren’t as excited for these as they think they are, especially with their current track record of only one original being barely passable, purely because it adapted an already existing story. 

Here’s how the schedule looks going forward 

Superman - ends early September 

Dr Stone - ends weekend before Labor Day (thanks “accidental” wrong episode!)

FLCL - ends weekend before Labor Day

One Piece - Punk Hazard ends in Sept

Naruto - July 2024

MHA - January 2024

First three slots of the block are all shuffling around in a little over a month. One is almost surely going to FLCL, now is good of time as any to tell us what two acquired shows will fill in the other hour. They have absolutely zero excuse for not having two shows to shuffle in after such a destitute year so far. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

2023 in terms of non-original acquisitions, for sure. But hey, better than '09 when the best we could do was the back half of Moribito.

That wasn't even Toonami; it was ACTN. And we still had 2 episodes of Bleach every night from like May to November.

The only time [as] ACTN didn't have ANY premieres for a considerable amount of time was the entire month of January 2010. Then FMA:B came on Valentine's Eve and Kekkaishi hit Memorial Day Weekend. In 2011 the only new show was Durarara!!. That was the dark ages of ACTN, but again, that wasn't Toonami.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This brings up an interesting side discussion: is 2023 Toonami's worst year since the relaunch, or was 2020 worse?

2023 for sure, because there is absolutely no excuse for it being this bad. We are still sitting at only 2 acquired shows for the year, and it looks like the maximum we can have this year will be 4. 

• Like 3

The excuse remains to be a lack of money for acquisitions. The reason for the lack of money is a bit different but not all that much. WarnerMedia was a shit show (pandemic or otherwise) in 2020 and WBD is possibly an even bigger shit show now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The excuse remains to be a lack of money for acquisitions. The reason for the lack of money is a bit different but not all that much. WarnerMedia was a shit show (pandemic or otherwise) in 2020 and WBD is possibly an even bigger shit show now.

Don’t see any money issues anywhere else on AS. Especially with another 2 hours they are picking up. Yea, the content is all free in house stuff, but it’s more time to manage. And the entire topic of this thread, plenty of money to piss away on another original that odds are will be a major flop as all its predecessors have been. Not to mention the block has had money for a bit of a packaging refresh and all those animated short bumpers. 

Nah, it’s not a money issue. It’s a desire issue. They don’t want to air anything that isn’t a sequel. Nobody on the staff wants to do the research on fresh anime so we just get to linger and stall for months at a time until another sequel is available. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Nah, it’s not a money issue. It’s a desire issue. They don’t want to air anything that isn’t a sequel. Nobody on the staff wants to do the research on fresh anime so we just get to linger and stall for months at a time until another sequel is available. 

That's /co/ talk.

41 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

That's /co/ talk.

I’m eager to be proven wrong. I’d love for Demarco to walk on stage on Saturday and announce two non sequel pickups, hit the dab, and tell the haters to li-li-lick my balls. Doesn’t even have to be then, if Saturday is talk time for originals only, I’m cool if they are announced via Facebook in a month. 

As it stands, the last non sequel acquisition was Jan 2022 with Made in Abyss. Call it /co/ talk all you want, I call it reality talk. 1.5 years without a non sequel pickup and more open slots then I care to go back and count makes it very hard to argue that they have put one iota of effort into looking for new shows. Meanwhile, they are still announcing originals, so we know AS hasn’t completely abandoned the block. 

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 3

Funnily enough, my first reaction to this was "Oh, fuck off", because I wasn't a fan of the fact that DeMarco is commissioning yet another original from someone [as] has worked with before. But you know what? I'm down for this. Watanabe is a certified big deal who hasn't had a TV anime air in a while, and MAPPA has put out a lot of quality productions recently, even if they've gone too hard for most peoples' liking. Plus the other people involved give this show an air of uniqueness.

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Getting the John Wick director and Watanabe for one project is pretty rad. That’s a killer combo for the action direction and hopefully MAPPA brings their A game but who is writing the scripts? The scripts have been the downfall of every Toonami original thus far.

I think it'd help if they could get some of Watanabe's past collaborators on for this project... Michiko Yokote, Dai Sato, etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blatch said:

and MAPPA has put out a lot of quality productions recently,

Have they? I feel like it’s only been in recent years that they have picked up the nickname “Crappa”. Their recent tactic seems to be rolling out a 10/10 trailer, keeping that energy into episode 1, then just giving up. 

They also have Sola on board for this project. They helped make the barely visible Black Lotus possible. 

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’m eager to be proven wrong. I’d love for Demarco to walk on stage on Saturday and announce two non sequel pickups, hit the dab, and tell the haters to li-li-lick my balls. Doesn’t even have to be then, if Saturday is talk time for originals only, I’m cool if they are announced via Facebook in a month. 

As it stands, the last non sequel acquisition was Jan 2022 with Made in Abyss. Call it /co/ talk all you want, I call it reality talk. 1.5 years without a non sequel pickup and more open slots then I care to go back and count makes it very hard to argue that they have put one iota of effort into looking for new shows. Meanwhile, they are still announcing originals, so we know AS hasn’t completely abandoned the block. 

EMDR Therapy and Autism - EMDR International Association

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

EMDR Therapy and Autism - EMDR International Association

Toonami has not acquired a non sequel show since January 2022 - Fact

Toonami clearly still has money going into it, so the block isn’t on a sustained burnoff mode - Fact

Sorry if the indisputable facts in the room conflict with your beliefs, but a thoughtless shitpost reply won’t make them stop being facts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Toonami has not acquired a non sequel show since January 2022 - Fact

Toonami clearly still has money going into it, so the block isn’t on a sustained burnoff mode - Fact

Sorry if the indisputable facts in the room conflict with your beliefs, but a thoughtless shitpost reply won’t make them stop being facts. 

Right- it’s not doomsaying, it’s a fact that they are light on the acquisition end. 

They can’t keep saying “Sony Sony Sony” either because that’s been a reality since 2021. There are other companies that are willing to give them something. Can’t keep hoping they’ll change their mind 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

..and to continue back on topic now, it seems that plebddit is excited about Lazarus..

How many of those posts are trashing it though? xD

Anyway I just remembered something they could announce at that panel, the Titan special. If they announce any acquisitions there, that will be one of them.

45 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Anyway I just remembered something they could announce at that panel, the Titan special. If they announce any acquisitions there, that will be one of them.

Just go read the comments?

It is overwhelming excitement.. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

The Reddit hivemind NOT showing blind, unwavering support to a project that has “Watanabe” listed in the description? Surely you jest.