UnevenEdge

Uncle Ruckus Wants To Fuck

5 hours ago, André Toulon said:

.....ok, I'll bite.

Elaborate. Boondocks is full of some genius performances...name a few genius Ruckus scenes pls.

I know enjoyment of Uncle Ruckus's character has been frequently seen as a litmus test for enjoyment of racist black jokes.

Anyway, his episode recounting his tale of "revitiligo" was humorous and tragic, especially considering his two brothers ended up having white wives, successful careers, and got over their father's awful parenting, unlike Uncle Ruckus. I'm not one to use genius in a manner like that, but I thought it was a great episode.

While I do appreciate your new found love for my posts, despite being sick of my shit specially, I again think you are swinging at a ball I didn't throw.

I do believe McGruder called him a genius (brilliant) in that role too. He also alluded to people latching onto or dismissing the character for the wrong reasons. I wanted to ask the guy who used those same words what he found genius about him in that role.

Before I posted this, I needed to check my memory...it's spot on mostly, but AM said GAW was brilliant, not a genius...so mild faux pas aside.... he was slated to have his own film with Gary playing the role because no one else could ever pull it off....It either died due to funding or time constraints 

So, if you're satisfied with the attention I've given you, I'd actually like to wait on the answer I asked for despite it no longer being organic. Still, I want to know what he found genius.

And for the record, when I marathon Boondocks, I skip that episode...not because "omg, the waycism" but because I hate that it paro...Wait, do you know what the episode is a parody of. I mean googling it will tell you, even the description to that video you linked may tell you, but I don't like that ep because of the source material

• Thanks 1

Well the episode's name is "The Color Ruckus," so yeah, I'm sure I have no idea what movie it was parodying. I do like the source movie, and have watched it multiple times. I like Oprah and Whoopi as actresses than whatever they hell they do these days.

Besides the point, sorry to interject. Just trying to soften the tone, that I supposedly misinterpreted.

3 hours ago, André Toulon said:

While I do appreciate your new found love for my posts, despite being sick of my shit specially, I again think you are swinging at a ball I didn't throw.

I do believe McGruder called him a genius (brilliant) in that role too. He also alluded to people latching onto or dismissing the character for the wrong reasons. I wanted to ask the guy who used those same words what he found genius about him in that role.

Before I posted this, I needed to check my memory...it's spot on mostly, but AM said GAW was brilliant, not a genius...so mild faux pas aside.... he was slated to have his own film with Gary playing the role because no one else could ever pull it off....It either died due to funding or time constraints 

So, if you're satisfied with the attention I've given you, I'd actually like to wait on the answer I asked for despite it no longer being organic. Still, I want to know what he found genius.

And for the record, when I marathon Boondocks, I skip that episode...not because "omg, the waycism" but because I hate that it paro...Wait, do you know what the episode is a parody of. I mean googling it will tell you, even the description to that video you linked may tell you, but I don't like that ep because of the source material

During the first season, I think it is episode 6. This is when I started to really find Uncle Ruckus' character funny. 

To me, it is the way he delivers the lines and the tone which I find so genius in Williams performance. I mean yea, everyone notices the jokes and racism on the surface but I really like the way he portrays the character. 

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

During the first season, I think it is episode 6. This is when I started to really find Uncle Ruckus' character funny. 

To me, it is the way he delivers the lines and the tone which I find so genius in Williams performance. I mean yea, everyone notices the jokes and racism on the surface but I really like the way he portrays the character. 

Well, my intent was to see where you found genius in his character....ok, let me be fair here. You usually seem to have a lot to say on certain subjects, and some of those things I know nothing about, so this was indeed my shot at challenging you. Benji was right in that, but it wasn't for the intent he thought.

See, I was kinda hoping you had the character broken down over the course of many episodes because if you look past the ham fisted racism he's allowed to spout off, there are some nuances that are missed by many.  I DO NOT like Ruckus, but I do love that Gary was the go to choice because I feel like he's one of the few people black and nonthreatening enough to pull it off in the mainstream without looking like he's cooning.  Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by your response...I was actually hoping to have a dialogue here but it seems maybe I should have just cut my losses and had the Convo with Benji.

TL;DR: Sometimes I find you pretentious and I really wanted to see if you had a real introspective of the Ruckus character. I wanted you specifically because you seem knowledgeable about most of the shit you talk about, but I had my hopes too high.

11 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Well, my intent was to see where you found genius in his character....ok, let me be fair here. You usually seem to have a lot to say on certain subjects, and some of those things I know nothing about, so this was indeed my shot at challenging you. Benji was right in that, but it wasn't for the intent he thought.

See, I was kinda hoping you had the character broken down over the course of many episodes because if you look past the ham fisted racism he's allowed to spout off, there are some nuances that are missed by many.  I DO NOT like Ruckus, but I do love that Gary was the go to choice because I feel like he's one of the few people black and nonthreatening enough to pull it off in the mainstream without looking like he's cooning.  Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by your response...I was actually hoping to have a dialogue here but it seems maybe I should have just cut my losses and had the Convo with Benji.

TL;DR: Sometimes I find you pretentious and I really wanted to see if you had a real introspective of the Ruckus character. I wanted you specifically because you seem knowledgeable about most of the shit you talk about, but I had my hopes too high.

Ah, my apologies for disappointing you. 

While I may be able to speak at length about more technical topics, when it comes to much of the arts, I have simpler views. Call me a simpleton haha I guess I am just not that cultured. Usually when it comes to movies, music, books, etc. I tend to go off of my gut feeling and intuition when it comes to me judging something. When I say that I think Williams is a genius, it is solely based on his performance. 

And like you mentioned, I do not like Uncle Ruckus as a person, but at the same time I do feel bad for him. I also find the relationship him and Granddad have to be a bit interesting. Granddad seems to hate all of Ruckus' spouting, yet he still plays chess with him and at times seems to even look out for him in a way. 

Idk, I am bad at interpreting art, so I tend to not try to too hard. 

Again, I am sorry for not being able to take a deep dive on his character, I just really like the portrayal of Ruckus beneath all the surface jokes.   

Edited by atomicinumatt

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

Ah, my apologies for disappointing you. 

While I may be able to speak at length about more technical topics, when it comes to much of the arts, I have simpler views. Call me a simpleton haha I guess I am just not that cultured. Usually when it comes to movies, music, books, etc. I tend to go off of my gut feeling and intuition when it comes to me judging something. When I say that I think Williams is a genius, it is solely based on his performance. 

And like you mentioned, I do not like Uncle Ruckus as a person, but at the same time I do feel bad for him. I also find the relationship him and Granddad have to be a bit interesting. Granddad seems to hate all of Ruckus' spouting, yet he still plays chess with him and at times seems to even look out for him in a way. 

Idk, I am bad at interpreting art, so I tend to not try to too hard. 

Again, I am sorry for not being able to take a deep dive on his character, I just really like the portrayal Ruckus beneath all the surface jokes.   

Look, look.... you're doing it.

Perfect bringing up Granddad. Because you woul think since he sees himself as a revolutionary, that he would despise Ruckus, but it more of in the vein that the older people in the black community still lived through segregation, and while they experienced it together, they had different outlooks on the civil rights movement. 

While Ruckus is definitely a polar extreme, there are legit older blacks that resented the civil rights movement because they had become so heavily indoctrinated. 

But I'm not gonna force you into this... I don't get to talk Boondocks often except with my son, and his favorite quote is "I'm a warrior" and out of context, it doesn't seem that bad....but if you know 🤦🏿‍♂️

3 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Look, look.... you're doing it.

Perfect bringing up Granddad. Because you woul think since he sees himself as a revolutionary, that he would despise Ruckus, but it more of in the vein that the older people in the black community still lived through segregation, and while they experienced it together, they had different outlooks on the civil rights movement. 

While Ruckus is definitely a polar extreme, there are legit older blacks that resented the civil rights movement because they had become so heavily indoctrinated. 

But I'm not gonna force you into this... I don't get to talk Boondocks often except with my son, and his favorite quote is "I'm a warrior" and out of context, it doesn't seem that bad....but if you know 🤦🏿‍♂️

I also need to give Boondocks a rewatch.. it has been a long time since I have seen more than a random episode here or there. 

Maybe we can do a rewatch thread here in the future and have more of deliberate conversation?