UnevenEdge

A Scoobdog PSA for my fellow white folk...

scoobdog

This might apply to that shit jingo does but there is no way this can be exercised without hypocrisy. 

It would literally mean black folks would have to stop posting Karen memes...those are inherently used to attack, some little white chick posting sweet brown to her parents when they ask her to clean her room is hardly offensive to me.

How about stop finding bullshit ways to placate black people and just give us the fucking equality we asked for...no need to make up new shit...just let the old shit apply.

• Thanks 3

Ah, I see CNN is solving all the worlds racial inequality issues with this one. 

But seriously, I think i comes down to the context and how the gif would be used. Like, if the purpose of someone posting the gif, regardless of the posters race/ethnicity, is to further marginalize a particular race, than it is fucked up. If not, then it seems totally innocuous. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, André Toulon said:

This might apply to that shit jingo does but there is no way this can be exercised without hypocrisy. 

It would literally mean black folks would have to stop posting Karen memes...those are inherently used to attack, some little white chick posting sweet brown to her parents when they ask her to clean her room is hardly offensive to me.

How about stop finding bullshit ways to placate black people and just give us the fucking equality we asked for...no need to make up new shit...just let the old shit apply.

He came to mind as soon as I saw that article, obviously.

In general that's a valid counter criticism to the crusade against cultural appropriation.  On the whole, it's not about just showing appreciation for various cultural contributions because we would all be hypocrites for playing a jazz.  Rather, not doing what's necessary to "repay" in kind the people who contribute disproportionately to our culture leads to a wider set of valid issues that guys like cow fucker highlight.  The article had one particular point that illustrates this:

But critics say digital blackface is wrong because it’s a modern-day repackaging of minstrel shows, a racist form of entertainment popular in the 19th century. That’s when White actors, faces darkened with burnt cork, entertained audiences by playing Black characters as bumbling, happy-go-lucky simpletons. That practice continued in the 20th century on hit radio shows such as “Amos ‘n’ Andy.”

The thing is, sharing a Karen meme isn't cultural appropriation - even if it's somewhat unfair by disconnecting the image from the actual person, it's poking fun at a very specific type of personality.  The crying Michael Jordan image might also fall into that category simply because Michael Jordan is such a universally known entity that the humor in it is widely recognized as specific to his cult of personality.  In general, though, there's a very fine line when it comes to expressing memes that make black men and women appear to be comically exaggerated or buffoonish, especially when it comes to that meme being a representative of the target of humor.  While it might mostly be an aside in the larger debate of how to properly give reparations to black people, it nonetheless embodies how white people have a propensity for cacheing cultural icons while simultaneously justifying the theft.  To put it another way:  no one (well, other than an out right white nationalists) is going to accuse a black person of profiting off a white person by sharing a Karen meme because he or she can't, but a white person can and does profit off of a "bumbling, happy-go-lucky simpleton" simply because of the inherent power differential.

Just an FYI Kimberly “sweet brown” Wilkins is worth $15m and I bet a good chunk of that $ came directly or indirectly from the “ain’t nobody got time for that” meme. While it’s born from tragedy I think most people were impressed with her ability to keep a sense of humor after almost dying. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lupin_bebop said:

It’s nice they are trying to address this. As always, it’s 10 years or so too fucking late, but at least they’re trying. 

Shut the fuck up you couch warrior hypocrite, you’re literally one of the most racist of persons. Or did you forget the game you played guessing what race was behind the wheel of the car based on the beat of the music and how you were oh so good at it…

what are your pronouns? Dumb/shit?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Still Me said:

Shut the fuck up you couch warrior hypocrite, you’re literally one of the most racist of persons. Or did you forget the game you played guessing what race was behind the wheel of the car based on the beat of the music and how you were oh so good at it…

what are your pronouns? Dumb/shit?

Friday Movie Damn GIFs | Tenor

And I'll say it's a good ploy, many people will adopt this as a valid crusade, somehow a push in the right direction for equality....white people stop using our memes....the impotent rage is deafening. 

There's another situation going on now where people are expressing their faux outrage over a MS news anchor.  I mean, sure....bad choice, but isn't MS literally enacting fucking Jim Crow....and you want me to give a shit about some random pixie cut bih.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

And I'll say it's a good ploy, many people will adopt this as a valid crusade, somehow a push in the right direction for equality....white people stop using our memes....the impotent rage is deafening. 

There's another situation going on now where people are expressing their faux outrage over a MS news anchor.  I mean, sure....bad choice, but isn't MS literally enacting fucking Jim Crow....and you want me to give a shit about some random pixie cut bih.

It’s a good ploy because it hits at a weak spot most people have:  their sense of humor.

If we’re all paying attention to this we’ll be too busy to protest not having healthcare, the poisoning of our land and water, big pharma charging ridiculous prices, even for drugs developed with research using public funds, states goin backwards by decades, this includes allowing child labor. Giving children the all clear to operate heavy machinery and simultaneously making it legal for these companies to not have to supply workers’ comp for them when their limbs are ripped off. Instead CNN does this  

look what i can do mad tv GIF

• Thanks 1

To be fair,  CNN is pretty good about covering all of those social ills as well so it doesn’t seem like this is intended to be a distraction.

I am surprised by the reaction though.  I didn’t expect anyone would take it serious, but the idea of memes being stolen clearly struck a nerve.

12 hours ago, scoobdog said:

To be fair,  CNN is pretty good about covering all of those social ills as well so it doesn’t seem like this is intended to be a distraction.

I am surprised by the reaction though.  I didn’t expect anyone would take it serious, but the idea of memes being stolen clearly struck a nerve.

My problem with CNN is that they do this from time to time....While Faux News is disregarding all atrocities against blacks, CNN creates bullshit to get people's ire up over nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure this has merit in several circles and I'm sure it's being done in a malicious way...And as someone else pointed out a while ago, i don't speak for all black people....But this is nothing to me.  I was witholding making this post because i remember them doing something similar suring the Trayvon Martin thing but I can't recall what it was.....but I remember it was around that time that I stopped relying on CNN to take serious issues seriously.....But since It's escaping me, I just will avoid it for now.

• Like 1

Just now, André Toulon said:

My problem with CNN is that they do this from time to time....While Faux News is disregarding all atrocities against blacks, CNN creates bullshit to get people's ire up over nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure this has merit in several circles and I'm sure it's being done in a malicious way...And as someone else pointed out a while ago, i don't speak for all black people....But this is nothing to me.  I was witholding making this post because i remember them doing something similar suring the Trayvon Martin thing but I can't recall what it was.....but I remember it was around that time that I stopped relying on CNN to take serious issues seriously.....But since It's escaping me, I just will avoid it for now.

Well, I fully expected and appreciate your reaction.  The OP author, like a good deal of the opinion section on CNN, clearly fails to make a distinction on some critical aspects of between intent which makes the article something of a performance piece.  Still, it is surprising how much of a nerve this struck, and it might be because I tend to see memes as something of a novelty rather than a integral linguistic device.

6 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Well, I fully expected and appreciate your reaction.  The OP author, like a good deal of the opinion section on CNN, clearly fails to make a distinction on some critical aspects of between intent which makes the article something of a performance piece.  Still, it is surprising how much of a nerve this struck, and it might be because I tend to see memes as something of a novelty rather than a integral linguistic device.

Well as I said....I can definitely see how this applies to Jingo....Using a 50cent laughing meme to laugh at the misfortune of black victims definitely fit the script here....But you posting Kevin Hart bugeyed blinking gif for....well, whatever reason, is fine....Not sure how anyone could say it isn't....but I'm sure they do.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Well as I said....I can definitely see how this applies to Jingo....Using a 50cent laughing meme to laugh at the misfortune of black victims definitely fit the script here....But you posting Kevin Hart bugeyed blinking gif for....well, whatever reason, is fine....Not sure how anyone could say it isn't....but I'm sure they do.

That speaks to my intent, I suppose.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:41 PM, André Toulon said:

They're going to be so not racist that all memes of white people come with a "no blacks allowed" sign.

You know, to stop racism.

• Thanks 1

The MS anchor that was fired after 20 years (maybe she did the weather) for repeating a SnoopDogg lyric was extremely stupid.  Snoop coined the term “nizzle” cuz he didn’t want to refer to his friends as n bombs so “nizzle” is the alternative that he made.  It’s never used in the way people throw n bombs.  It’s literally the acceptable alternative. Why is it acceptable?  Cuz Snoop said so and he made the word up so fuck what other people are saying in regards to that. 

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

The MS anchor that was fired after 20 years (maybe she did the weather) for repeating a SnoopDogg lyric was extremely stupid.  Snoop coined the term “nizzle” cuz he didn’t want to refer to his friends as n bombs so “nizzle” is the alternative that he made.  It’s never used in the way people throw n bombs.  It’s literally the acceptable alternative. Why is it acceptable?  Cuz Snoop said so and he made the word up so fuck what other people are saying in regards to that. 

I wonder about that.  I mean, if we're talking about alternatives for the n-word there are plenty of others that don't even use any part of the word but are still subject to the intent.  I have a couple of mildly racist friends who love to refer to black people as "sheriffs" specifically because of Cleavon Little's character in Blazing Saddles.  Now the "alternative" is innocuous, but these guys are still using it to joke about black people.  Intent does matter, even more than the word itself.

7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I wonder about that.  I mean, if we're talking about alternatives for the n-word there are plenty of others that don't even use any part of the word but are still subject to the intent.  I have a couple of mildly racist friends who love to refer to black people as "sheriffs" specifically because of Cleavon Little's character in Blazing Saddles.  Now the "alternative" is innocuous, but these guys are still using it to joke about black people.  Intent does matter, even more than the word itself.

Intent matters. They were discussing Snoop Dogg at the time. No one stops anyone from saying anything but it was collectively decided to just not use the n word regardless of intent.  Someone made up an alternative word and said “say this instead for your friends”   Other words like you’re saying aren’t alternatives for n bombs but whole new racist garbage that I never needed to know about.  Your friends are just racist garbage people. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

I could swear I saw Martha say it while standing right next to snoop on TV but maybe I imagined that....maybe it just seems so logical that my brain made it up...but I can't find it anywhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, André Toulon said:

I could swear I saw Martha say it while standing right next to snoop on TV but maybe I imagined that....maybe it just seems so logical that my brain made it up...but I can't find it anywhere 

Probably happened, though I can't say I remember it myself. But there was at least one Comedy Central Roast where they were both guest roasters. That seems like the best atmosphere for someone like Martha to say nizzle to Snoop's face. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Intent matters. They were discussing Snoop Dogg at the time. No one stops anyone from saying anything but it was collectively decided to just not use the n word regardless of intent.  Someone made up an alternative word and said “say this instead for your friends”   Other words like you’re saying aren’t alternatives for n bombs but whole new racist garbage that I never needed to know about.  Your friends are just racist garbage people. 

Yes, they are.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Probably happened, though I can't say I remember it myself. But there was at least one Comedy Central Roast where they were both guest roasters. That seems like the best atmosphere for someone like Martha to say nizzle to Snoop's face. 

If nothing else I like that they've become so synonymous with each other that there is no confusion when I say Martha

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I think she’s definitely said it. The way media tells it they’re really good friends. Like maybe even best friends.  

I just thought it weird that Mississippians care about what the anchor said but dgaf that their government officials refuse to expand Medicaid.  Allowing a whole lot of people to die/suffer unnecessarily 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

He has a lot of respect for her from her time in prison. She could have avoided prison had she ratted but she didn’t. At least that’s the story on their odd friendship 

It's hard to say.  Martha and Snoop are somewhat similar in how their celebrity and private personas can coexist relatively effortlessly because they come off as charming no matter what they do.

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I think Martha’s reputation isn’t as good as Snoop’s though like I swear I heard stories that Martha is a bitch to work with and for, but maybe that’s bullshit 

She plays on that reputation as part of a self-depricating routine now.  She took far more of a hit based on the conviction and subsequent jail sentence, but that was part of how she was able to reinvent herself as being a far more relatable person.  In the same way, Snoop's reputation as a gangster helps him to be more relatable in situations where he's expected to be gentile, and that's how he's built up his profile beyond what would be reasonably expected.

I think a bigger reason the two are so often linked is because of their shared appreciation of marijuana.