UnevenEdge

Food Wars! The Fifth Plate premieres on Toonami on March 18

Blatch

Finally, some good fucking... uh, maybe.

I mean, MHA is still doubled up, Attack on Titan will have to wait at least one more week, and FLCL Grunge is nowhere in sight, so it seems they're still stalling to some extent. And Food Wars! is a series I punted on a long time ago, so I won't be tuning in. But hey, this is a sign that Toonami isn't totally screwed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally some news, good lord. S5 of Food Wars was terrible, and I’d have been fine leaving the Toonami at S4, but beggars can’t be choosers. Goofy ass food nen is better than nothing. And, it’s only 12 episodes, so we aren’t stuck with it for long. 

Putting that aside, let’s break down some other theories. Either the stall till AoT theory is something they gave up on because CR won’t rush it out for them, or it was simply never reality and they have genuinely been fighting for a new show since the start of February. I think now we can assume AoT will air the first or second Saturday of April, as that is 5 weeks from the sub, just as we saw with prior seasons. 

More shocking, MHA is going into a third week doubled up. They easily could have put Food Wars at 12:30 and OP at 2x for the foreseeable future. So we have to ask, what’s the plan here? What could they have on deck that’s so significant they are willing to blow through MHA at double speed? Bleach is the obvious guess, but it’s already so far behind, why rush towards it? If they started it in the summer they could have went straight to S2. FLCL doesn’t make much sense either, as MHA could have just been moved to 12:30, or FLCL could have run at 12:30 and got a running start from MHA runoff. 

We finally get some news, but now I feel like there are more questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I wasn’t expecting MHA to stay doubled up for a 3rd week and I had all but written off Fifth Plate so… that’s something. Something that might indicate a modicum of working with CR because I don’t believe Sentai has the master license for Fifth Plate.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Well I wasn’t expecting MHA to stay doubled up for a 3rd week and I had all but written off Fifth Plate so… that’s something. Something that might indicate a modicum of working with CR because I don’t believe Sentai has the master license for Fifth Plate.

Aren’t the fourth and fifth plate the only Sentai shows that CR has fingers in? If so, I’d say this is still an outlier. 

• Thanks 1

Regarding MHA being doubled up for a 3rd week, I now believe the plan is to air the AOT special one week at Midnight and leave Food Wars 5th Plate at 1 AM that week, effectively knocking out BOTH episodes of MHA for a week. That week is probably either March 25th or April 2nd.

It certainly makes sense not to premiere something at 12:30 for a week if it's just going to be pulled the following week for a special. And I'm guessing the reason they CAN double up MHA is that it's been off the schedule twice on Christmas and New Year's. That signals another disturbance may be coming.

But trying to find reason in Toonami scheduling these days feels like a fool's errand. As long as they don't screw up my DVR recordings, I guess I'm just along for the ride!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Aren’t the fourth and fifth plate the only Sentai shows that CR has fingers in? If so, I’d say this is still an outlier. 

I seem to remember Third being CR too, since it had the logo and would explain why it didn't come on immediately after Second.

31 minutes ago, Daos said:

Wow, scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren't we. I guess Freezing was too expensive still?

Their S&P crew would probably quit out of sheer frustration of all the boobs they would have to censor every episode. And the fans would have to explain to newcomers why the “untouchable” queen gets touched and molested every episode.

3 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

"I hope we see something new on the block soon," I thought to myself, and once again the Monkey's Paw curls another finger.

It's been Toonami's guiding principle for a while now.  He's learned from Vince McMahon.

quote-i-don-t-give-a-damn-what-the-fans-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Regarding MHA being doubled up for a 3rd week, I now believe the plan is to air the AOT special one week at Midnight and leave Food Wars 5th Plate at 1 AM that week, effectively knocking out BOTH episodes of MHA for a week. That week is probably either March 25th or April 2nd.

It certainly makes sense not to premiere something at 12:30 for a week if it's just going to be pulled the following week for a special. And I'm guessing the reason they CAN double up MHA is that it's been off the schedule twice on Christmas and New Year's. That signals another disturbance may be coming.

But trying to find reason in Toonami scheduling these days feels like a fool's errand. As long as they don't screw up my DVR recordings, I guess I'm just along for the ride!

Titan is 60 mins of episode without commercials. It needs 3 slots. But they probably will take MHA off that week for Titan and maybe bump Food Wars if it’s not on March 25th.

• Confused 1

Some further context to the point I was making about the One Piece post a week ago, here’s the Food Wars reveal engagement after 24 hours. Not even 500 likes. I know, S5 is divisive, but even so, this is the first new show reveal for 2023, and this is all the engagement it can drum up. Meanwhile the crossover post was well over 70k likes and like 25k shares. Unfortunately, that engagement doesn’t seem to have translated to ratings, but at least it was some word of mouth engagement that Toonami still exists. 

A2C5087E-01AD-4489-8763-CBE733FAE45F.jpeg

• Like 1

Some further context to the point I was making about the One Piece post a week ago, here’s the Food Wars reveal engagement after 24 hours. Not even 500 likes. I know, S5 is divisive, but even so, this is the first new show reveal for 2023, and this is all the engagement it can drum up. Meanwhile the crossover post was well over 70k likes and like 25k shares. Unfortunately, that engagement doesn’t seem to have translated to ratings, but at least it was some word of mouth engagement that Toonami still exists. 

A2C5087E-01AD-4489-8763-CBE733FAE45F.jpeg

how can you expect online engagement to translate into ratings when the majority of toonami viewers aren't nielsen households so they aren't counted for viewership numbers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

how can you expect online engagement to translate into ratings when the majority of toonami viewers aren't nielsen households so they aren't counted for viewership numbers?

Because Nielsen is an average system. More engagement = average goes up. It did not, so it seems the online engagement it got was more just discussion of the episode finally being dubbed, not actual interest in watching it. 
Its not a big deal. I was just a little shocked at the absurd level of engagement that post about it was getting, and hoped it would lead to some new faces dropping by. 

Because Nielsen is an average system. More engagement = average goes up. It did not, so it seems the online engagement it got was more just discussion of the episode finally being dubbed, not actual interest in watching it. 
Its not a big deal. I was just a little shocked at the absurd level of engagement that post about it was getting, and hoped it would lead to some new faces dropping by. 

we have no clue how many nielsen households even regularly check the facebook toonami page....Nielsen Viewers make up a small percentage of TV Viewers so it's easy enough to assume very few of them check in on that facebook page if any at all

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

who the hell has even known anyone with a nielsen box anyways?....I've always taken them to be like Some Myth that people speak about but nobody ever sees unless you are lucky and even then it's a very temporary arrangement before you are back to being An invisible person whose viewership doesn't count for shit

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Besides, it's kind of unfair to use the crossover special announcement as an example of Toonami regaining traction. You know half of those stats exist purely because of Goku.

You are right, and perhaps I was expecting too much to see any visible change in viewership. I just thought maybe even a small percentage of that online enthusiasm might transfer over to the actual block, even if only for a single night. 

I still say, even though we didn’t see it in the actual numbers, having the block reach that many individual impressions was still a good and worthwhile thing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You are right, and perhaps I was expecting too much to see any visible change in viewership. I just thought maybe even a small percentage of that online enthusiasm might transfer over to the actual block, even if only for a single night. 

I still say, even though we didn’t see it in the actual numbers, having the block reach that many individual impressions was still a good and worthwhile thing. 

Are you comparing the promo post or the schedule announcement post? Gotta figure a video will get more interest than a static image of a schedule. And regardless there’s nothing all that exciting about Food Wars returning. The most exciting thing about that is it could be a sign of CR being reasonable but that’s only something people like us would even think about.

I knew it was only a matter of time, but may as well get this over with and rip the band-aid off.  Let's just hope a Pop Team Epic return isn't coming next.

Season 5 is divisive?  Is it because this part of the manga is bad, or the anime did a bad job covering the material?  I did hear the manga had a pretty lame noncomittal ending.  Is Erina's relationship with her brother as incestuous as the fan art suggests?  I honestly thought he was a fan character when I first saw the art.  And how much worse could this be than the rest of the show, honestly?

Also the MAL score is 7.32.  I would think the worst season of friggin Food Wars would have a lot worse score than that.

ANN shows Food Wars: The Fifth Plate as licensed by Crunchyroll with production by Sentai.  Sentai released the blu-ray.  So, that should count for something... I think?

I am quite baffled that MHA continues to be doubled up.  Why would they burn through it like this?

18 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I knew it was only a matter of time, but may as well get this over with and rip the band-aid off.  Let's just hope a Pop Team Epic return isn't coming next.

Season 5 is divisive?  Is it because this part of the manga is bad, or the anime did a bad job covering the material?  I did hear the manga had a pretty lame noncomittal ending.  Is Erina's relationship with her brother as incestuous as the fan art suggests?  I honestly thought he was a fan character when I first saw the art.  And how much worse could this be than the rest of the show, honestly?

Also the MAL score is 7.32.  I would think the worst season of friggin Food Wars would have a lot worse score than that.

ANN shows Food Wars: The Fifth Plate as licensed by Crunchyroll with production by Sentai.  Sentai released the blu-ray.  So, that should count for something... I think?

I am quite baffled that MHA continues to be doubled up.  Why would they burn through it like this?

to tell you how bad Food Wars S5 is....at this point in the story  The Person they relied on for cooking recipes and preparation info for the manga had to go on maternity leave

So Just imagine that...a series all about food that goes into elaborate details on every dish the characters prepare in it's final season cannot do that whatsoever

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

to tell you how bad Food Wars S5 is....at this point in the story  The Person they relied on for cooking recipes and preparation info for the manga had to go on maternity leave

So Just imagine that...a series all about food that goes into elaborate details on every dish the characters prepare in it's final season cannot do that whatsoever

Really?  So the author wasn't providing all that information?  The manga should have just gone on break until that person could return.  Kind of defeats the purpose, even though I've heard most of the recipes when made as actual food are disgusting lmao.

Yeah it kind of defeats the purpose haha.

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

....Could they not have just hired someone else who knows about cooking to handle that while their regular source was out?

From what I gathered, for a long time he had wanted to be in the drivers seat. He was finally able to roll out some of his own ideas. And they were generally terrible and got the series cancelled. But hey, you don’t know till you try, right? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

....Could they not have just hired someone else who knows about cooking to handle that while their regular source was out?

Nope only one person in Japan knows how to cook and she was busy. Better luck next time anime fans!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Nope only one person in Japan knows how to cook and she was busy. Better luck next time anime fans!

You’d think the country with more Michelin star restaurants per square foot than any other country would have more options.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:38 PM, ben0119 said:

FoodWars is one of those anime that has an inexplicably high rating on MAL. Kind of like another show involving hunters that I can think of.

I watched an episode back in like 2014 or whenever it came out, because I figured with ratings that high it had to be good. I didn't hate the first episode, but after seeing it I was just like... ok... that's enough of that.

Are people really that impressed by a girl being brought to climax because she had a bowl of rice with sauce on it?

For shameless fanservice stuff like Highschool DxD, High school of the Dead, and Infinite Stratos area million times more entertaining.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

With how conclusive Fourth Plate was, I'm just gonna treat this season as "the encore nobody asked for". Bad post-script fanfiction made official.

Same.

It was a perfectly acceptable ending where they achieved their goals and brought down the bad foodie organization. While it’s interesting to see what our heroes do as the new elite, it wasn’t vital in the least.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:38 PM, ben0119 said:

Most people operate on the C (70%) = average scale, despite it being a terrible rubric.

Especially since the average viewer's idea of mediocre (7/10) is realistically closer to a 3/10....

• Haha 1

Is this last season going to have the same gimmick the rest of the seasons used?

Everyone acts awestruck by normal every day cooking techniques, then ecchi scene where girl has a pseudo orgasm?

Tell me they did something different after 5 seasons.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

This different enough for ya?

Hide contents

tumblr_inline_pk48e42cej1sorwoo_1280.png

Well I'm not sure that's an effective technique, but I'll give them credit for doing something different.

I was expecting more feigned incredulousness like 

"What is he using on those eggs??? Is it? YES IT IS! IT'S A WHISK!!!!"

• Haha 1

I’m going to be here looking on at the other shows on HIDIVE that DeMarco would never have aired in a million years.  Godannar, Majestic Prince, Princess Principal, Akhiba Maid War…

How did the last season do ratings wise?

24 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’m going to be here looking on at the other shows on HIDIVE that DeMarco would never have aired in a million years.  Godannar, Majestic Prince, Princess Principal, Akhiba Maid War…

How did the last season do ratings wise?

Just average iirc. Pulled it’s weight but also didn’t have any impressive nights. 

It’s probably still a longshot, but I don’t think Akiba Maid War is entirely impossible just because it’s the hot new toy right now and is getting a lot of requests, especially since Demarco narrowed the window down to Sentai stuff only. 

At a time many years ago, Sentai did want Princess Principal on the block. If the desire is still there on their end, Demarco shouldn’t have to work too hard to talk them out of it. I do see it come up periodically when the discussion of Sentai content comes up, so it has some level of demand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

If Princess Principal airs I will never get the OP out of my brain.

...who am I kidding it's been lodged in my brain for 4 years now. Seriously, this goes so fucking hard.

You ever second guess requesting a show for the block, purely because it would be absolutely criminal to cut its OP or ED? This is definitely one of those shows. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:02 AM, Daos said:

FoodWars is one of those anime that has an inexplicably high rating on MAL. Kind of like another show involving hunters that I can think of.

I watched an episode back in like 2014 or whenever it came out, because I figured with ratings that high it had to be good. I didn't hate the first episode, but after seeing it I was just like... ok... that's enough of that.

Are people really that impressed by a girl being brought to climax because she had a bowl of rice with sauce on it?

For shameless fanservice stuff like Highschool DxD, High school of the Dead, and Infinite Stratos area million times more entertaining.

I was even more annoyed by the rating for the first season.  It has an 8.16  There's shows way better than this that are lucky to get near or above an 8!

Hahaha the show with hunters is a 9.04, so I guess it's not that much better than Food Wars, going by this logic. 🤣

There's also an obsession with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood always being the top show, which I'm not sure how it's maintained without spam accounts.  It's a good show, but I don't think it's the best anime of all time. 

Yeah other shows have better fan service and are also more entertaining.  Not only the quality but also the fan service of Food Wars was way oversold haha.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:44 AM, naraku360 said:

Most people operate on the C (70%) = average scale, despite it being a terrible rubric.

Especially since the average viewer's idea of mediocre (7/10) is realistically closer to a 3/10....

Yeah, I have noticed that, after going over enough shows, most are in the 7s, and a show has to be really good to get near an 8 or above, and you have to wonder what the fuck a show did wrong to get in the 6s.  But even given that, Food Wars' rating is ridiculous compared to other shows.

I would probably avoid picking a show to watch I know I probably won't like, but for me it's only special occasions a show is good enough to deserve an 8, never mind a 9, and almost no shows are worthy of a 10.  A few shows are subpar enough to get a 6, but not many are bad enough (that I've seen) to get much worse than that.  To me, 7 is "pretty good."  I would probably have more shows at 6 and below from anime aired on TV, than ones I watched on my own, since obviously not every show that aired was suited to my liking haha.

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I was even more annoyed by the rating for the first season.  It has an 8.16  There's shows way better than this that are lucky to get near or above an 8!

Hahaha the show with hunters is a 9.04, so I guess it's not that much better than Food Wars, going by this logic. 🤣

There's also an obsession with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood always being the top show, which I'm not sure how it's maintained without spam accounts.  It's a good show, but I don't think it's the best anime of all time. 

Yeah other shows have better fan service and are also more entertaining.  Not only the quality but also the fan service of Food Wars was way oversold haha.

Yeah, I have noticed that, after going over enough shows, most are in the 7s, and a show has to be really good to get near an 8 or above, and you have to wonder what the fuck a show did wrong to get in the 6s.  But even given that, Food Wars' rating is ridiculous compared to other shows.

I would probably avoid picking a show to watch I know I probably won't like, but for me it's only special occasions a show is good enough to deserve an 8, never mind a 9, and almost no shows are worthy of a 10.  A few shows are subpar enough to get a 6, but not many are bad enough (that I've seen) to get much worse than that.  To me, 7 is "pretty good."  I would probably have more shows at 6 and below from anime aired on TV, than ones I watched on my own, since obviously not every show that aired was suited to my liking haha.

You should give the old version of that one show a try now that it's been a while and we've chilled out. I'd be interested to see where you land on the better version. I'm down for a show exchange if that would make it more appealing.

But yeah, people are bad at rating things. 6 is like the lowest most people go, which is dumb and wrong. It's like a 1 or 2 takes anger or disgust and that supercedes whether it's good or bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, naraku360 said:

You should give the old version of that one show a try now that it's been a while and we've chilled out. I'd be interested to see where you land on the better version. I'm down for a show exchange if that would make it more appealing.

But yeah, people are bad at rating things. 6 is like the lowest most people go, which is dumb and wrong. It's like a 1 or 2 takes anger or disgust and that supercedes whether it's good or bad.

Sorry for being late.  I've been having physical and mental issues.  I posted about it in the MHA thread for tonight.

I did hear the first show was better than the 2011 series for the parts it covered.  Maybe it is like an FMA03 and FMA: B situation in that way.  Although you can't combine the FMA shows (or rather, watch the first half of FMA03, and skip the first 13 or so FMA: B eps) since they have stuff that conflicts with each other from the part of the same material they cover.  That earlier hunter show is dubbed, right, but probably with different VAs?

Not sure what I'd have you watch.  Maybe Robotech, at least the Macross Saga, if you haven't seen it yet, but that's probably longer than the original Hiatus x Hiatus series haha. 

I heard the same VA came back for Minmay in English that played her in Japanese (I found out when I found it's the same VA in Japanese and English for Carol in Tomo-chan is a Girl!)  So now I want to watch the Japanese version and the new non-Robotech Macross version dub!  But I still say the original Robotech dub and combo with the other shows holds up (but I still need to watch part 3 in full.)  Still unpacking after living here for a year, and got my full Robotech box set waiting for me.  Now to just get some glasses again so I can see what I'm watching...

Yes they are.  I rated the first Kantai Collection anime at a 6.  Then I watched Azur Lane's first anime and it was definitely even worse. But a 5 still seemed too low, so I'm not sure what to do there, myself.  People were giving it an ass-ripping in the MAL threads for the episodes which I read after I watched the anime.  I didn't think the production values and animation were THAT bad!  Maybe it got spruced up for later streaming uploads and blu-ray, and didn't look as shitty by the time I watched it?

Edited by ben0119