UnevenEdge

Food Wars! The Fifth Plate premieres on Toonami on March 18

Blatch

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Sorry for being late.  I've been having physical and mental issues.  I posted about it in the MHA thread for tonight.

I did hear the first show was better than the 2011 series for the parts it covered.  Maybe it is like an FMA03 and FMA: B situation in that way.  Although you can't combine the FMA shows (or rather, watch the first half of FMA03, and skip the first 13 or so FMA: B eps) since they have stuff that conflicts with each other from the part of the same material they cover.  That earlier hunter show is dubbed, right, but probably with different VAs?

Not sure what I'd have you watch.  Maybe Robotech, at least the Macross Saga, if you haven't seen it yet, but that's probably longer than the original Hiatus x Hiatus series haha. 

I heard the same VA came back for Minmay in English that played her in Japanese (I found out when I found it's the same VA in Japanese and English for Carol in Tomo-chan is a Girl!)  So now I want to watch the Japanese version and the new non-Robotech Macross version dub!  But I still say the original Robotech dub and combo with the other shows holds up (but I still need to watch part 3 in full.)  Still unpacking after living here for a year, and got my full Robotech box set waiting for me.  Now to just get some glasses again so I can see what I'm watching...

Yes they are.  I rated the first Kantai Collection anime at a 6.  Then I watched Azur Lane's first anime and it was definitely even worse. But a 5 still seemed too low, so I'm not sure what to do there, myself.  People were giving it an ass-ripping in the MAL threads for the episodes which I read after I watched the anime.  I didn't think the production values and animation were THAT bad!  Maybe it got spruced up for later streaming uploads and blu-ray, and didn't look as shitty by the time I watched it?

No prob, man. I've been there, still am to a degree.

It is dubbed but I can't attest to actual quality. It's an early 2000s dub, so take that for what you will. They did also have to continue some in OVAs that never got dubs (the last 8 episodes of Phantom Troupe and all of Greed Island). Chimera Ant is only 2011 and in the manga, but either version of that arc is worth checking out so long as you liked the stuff before it, which would bring the length up quite a bit.

'99 is 62 epispdes, plus 30 OVAs. Chimera Ant, assuming there's interest, is 60 episodes and the arc after is only 11. Technically there's more after the anime, but you know, hiatuses and whatnot.

So, with the OVAs it's a few episodes longer than Robotech (92 vs 85). Beyond that, I'd encourage giving later arcs a chance if you end up liking '99, however that is a lot more than Robotech and really comes down to if you even like '99.

I've been much more open to new stuff these days. Like I've never been huge on superhero stuff and recently watched the DCAU Justice League and Unlimited with some friends, which were both very good. I'm also reading, and thoroughly enjoying, Animorphs.

Never watched Robotech but I did like what little I've seen of Macross [I believe it was Macross Plus].

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, naraku360 said:

No prob, man. I've been there, still am to a degree.

It is dubbed but I can't attest to actual quality. It's an early 2000s dub, so take that for what you will. They did also have to continue some in OVAs that never got dubs (the last 8 episodes of Phantom Troupe and all of Greed Island). Chimera Ant is only 2011 and in the manga, but either version of that arc is worth checking out so long as you liked the stuff before it, which would bring the length up quite a bit.

'99 is 62 epispdes, plus 30 OVAs. Chimera Ant, assuming there's interest, is 60 episodes and the arc after is only 11. Technically there's more after the anime, but you know, hiatuses and whatnot.

So, with the OVAs it's a few episodes longer than Robotech (92 vs 85). Beyond that, I'd encourage giving later arcs a chance if you end up liking '99, however that is a lot more than Robotech and really comes down to if you even like '99.

I've been much more open to new stuff these days. Like I've never been huge on superhero stuff and recently watched the DCAU Justice League and Unlimited with some friends, which were both very good. I'm also reading, and thoroughly enjoying, Animorphs.

Never watched Robotech but I did like what little I've seen of Macross [I believe it was Macross Plus].

Thanks.

Haha.  I was just going to say we watch the first animes/sagas and go from there.  See how we like Hunter x Hunter 99 and Robotech: The Macross Saga, respectively.  Then continue if we like what we watched.  I dropped Hunter x Hunter 2011 when they were in that stupid tower and level grinding to over-level their opponents like in some RPG, and the guy trainging them was a boring fuck, plus the fighting system for the series wasn't introduced til THAT point?  Nan or whatever?  I was fed up at that point.  If 99 and the OVAs gets past and handles it markedly better it will probably be much more watchable for me. 

The characters are still quasi-sociopaths, though?  Especially Gen?  That was a major turn off for me in the original series.  Not sure why it offends me more than Godfather, Goodfellas, or various anime with asshole and criminal protagonists, but it does for some reason.  Maybe because the show tries to portray him as being a "good guy" and in the right, and were are supposed to find Gen sympathetic given his behavior and character judgment of others how?? 

Also Kirapika should've been a girl lol.  He has a cute Tasha Yar thing going on but us straight guys can't do anything with another guy. :D That is another thing.  Show is a total sausage fest with literally NO female main characters, which I also don't like.  And I'm sure this author could do a better job with them than say... Horikoshi or Kishimoto.

Haha, I am the same way!  I've been on an anime super binge-a-thon and watched a bunch of slice of life and/or comedy and/or romance shows!  I even watched a couple dreaded MOE SHOWS.  The tank girl show and that cat girl where cats are humanoid and basically kept as slaves!  Nekopara!  And the series is based on eroge visual novel series written by a woman?!  She has a submissive fetish if I've ever seen one, to create an entire catpeople slave race.  OH, the catboys are never seen because they do labor jobs the show doesn't cover.  Yeah...

"We're not going to wear these... bell collars anymore.  We demand freedom and and equal rights!  Cats are people too!  Cat Equality and Liberty!"

Nekopara Season 2... CAT REBELLION!

xD

19 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Thanks.

Haha.  I was just going to say we watch the first animes/sagas and go from there.  See how we like Hunter x Hunter 99 and Robotech: The Macross Saga, respectively.  Then continue if we like what we watched.  I dropped Hunter x Hunter 2011 when they were in that stupid tower and level grinding to over-level their opponents like in some RPG, and the guy trainging them was a boring fuck, plus the fighting system for the series wasn't introduced til THAT point?  Nan or whatever?  I was fed up at that point.  If 99 and the OVAs gets past and handles it markedly better it will probably be much more watchable for me. 

The characters are still quasi-sociopaths, though?  Especially Gen?  That was a major turn off for me in the original series.  Not sure why it offends me more than Godfather, Goodfellas, or various anime with asshole and criminal protagonists, but it does for some reason.  Maybe because the show tries to portray him as being a "good guy" and in the right, and were are supposed to find Gen sympathetic given his behavior and character judgment of others how?? 

Also Kirapika should've been a girl lol.  He has a cute Tasha Yar thing going on but us straight guys can't do anything with another guy. :D That is another thing.  Show is a total sausage fest with literally NO female main characters, which I also don't like.  And I'm sure this author could do a better job with them than say... Horikoshi or Kishimoto.

Haha, I am the same way!  I've been on an anime super binge-a-thon and watched a bunch of slice of life and/or comedy and/or romance shows!  I even watched a couple dreaded MOE SHOWS.  The tank girl show and that cat girl where cats are humanoid and basically kept as slaves!  Nekopara!  And the series is based on eroge visual novel series written by a woman?!  She has a submissive fetish if I've ever seen one, to create an entire catpeople slave race.  OH, the catboys are never seen because they do labor jobs the show doesn't cover.  Yeah...

"We're not going to wear these... bell collars anymore.  We demand freedom and and equal rights!  Cats are people too!  Cat Equality and Liberty!"

Nekopara Season 2... CAT REBELLION!

xD

You know the only point that show resembled a decent anime for me was the York New City ark. And I think a big part of that was because it took the focus off the protagonists.

I don't buy for a second that the author was intentionally writing Gon as a sociopath. I think it's similar to Goku where after people pointed out the character's behavior to the author the author said "Oh yeah, that's totally intentional I meant to write him that way" 

I still remember Killua murdering someone during a tournament and Gon was like "GEE I SURE HOPE KILLUA IS OK!"

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I found the execution of '99 to be more in line with the tone and pace that was intended. There's a very uneven feel to 2011 in the story arcs you would've seen. It's more a problem of how the material was adapted than the content itself, since 2011 feels both rushed and slow for a big chunk of the early stuff. They actually left out some really important things in 2011, like the entire first chapter which is really important for getting Gon's character.

2011 is technically a more 'accurate' adaption but it takes more than accuracy to properly convey a scene well. From a critical standpoint, just about everything is done better in '99.

Take this scene - it's one you also saw in 2011 which I'll drop in for comparison:

You saw this:

Neither is filler, but which is better is obvious. 2011 has less directorial creativity and the content suffers for it.

The power system is basically kept secret to anybody that doesn't stumble on it. Which is kinda fair considering the world of HxH is a nightmare and would be one of the worst realities to be born into.

The characters are pretty similar in terms of personality but it's much better in execution. There is more 'filler' and most of it is abnormally good filler, to the point that without someone pointing it out almost all of it is virtually indistinguishable.

I don't think that makes a show inherently good or bad. There are some very memorable female characters later on.

I'm down for the Macross Saga. It's pretty standalone I'm guessing?

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:22 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

So I guess ITT we just talk about Hunter×Hunter now??hunter x GIF

I mean, at least it's an actual anime with things to talk about and not a 5 year running gag of "girl eats food and has metaphorical orgasm"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/20/2023 at 11:27 PM, naraku360 said:

I found the execution of '99 to be more in line with the tone and pace that was intended. There's a very uneven feel to 2011 in the story arcs you would've seen. It's more a problem of how the material was adapted than the content itself, since 2011 feels both rushed and slow for a big chunk of the early stuff. They actually left out some really important things in 2011, like the entire first chapter which is really important for getting Gon's character.

2011 is technically a more 'accurate' adaption but it takes more than accuracy to properly convey a scene well. From a critical standpoint, just about everything is done better in '99.

Take this scene - it's one you also saw in 2011 which I'll drop in for comparison:

You saw this:

Neither is filler, but which is better is obvious. 2011 has less directorial creativity and the content suffers for it.

The power system is basically kept secret to anybody that doesn't stumble on it. Which is kinda fair considering the world of HxH is a nightmare and would be one of the worst realities to be born into.

The characters are pretty similar in terms of personality but it's much better in execution. There is more 'filler' and most of it is abnormally good filler, to the point that without someone pointing it out almost all of it is virtually indistinguishable.

I don't think that makes a show inherently good or bad. There are some very memorable female characters later on.

I'm down for the Macross Saga. It's pretty standalone I'm guessing?

Sounds like 2011 did an even worse job than FMA: Brotherhood did with the early FMA material then (if it's more accurate to the FMA manga that is not inherently a good thing there, either, and we all love the new Bleach anime BECAUSE it's not super accurate to the final arc!)

I didn't realize HxH 99 covered THAT much material.  Sounds like I can watch a good chunk of it and then continue off to... killer ant or whatever in 2011?  I'll see how I like the main 99 anime first, before going for all those OVAs.  I'll try the dub and see how it is.  Unless the dub is really bad, or it's a show I really love, or a really appealing show with no dub, I don't care to watch most anime in Japanese.

So that first clip is 12 minutes.  I'll take your word for it and check out the clip later (or just start watching the show) after I get some sleep. 

I just went to a cardiologist yesterday and found out I didn't have a heart attack during this episode I had cutting the grass where I could barely breath and felt like my chest was going to explode.  But he still wants me to do a echocardiogram and lab work.  I have TERRIBLE family health history on both sides too.  Ugh.  My mom is claiming my grandfather on my father's side died of a heart attack at 38 before my father was born.  But she exaggerates and can't be taken seriously most of the time so I can't take shit like that as gospel.  Like, him being in the Mexican Mafia AND the Italian Mafia at the same time?  He's worse than a HxH character! :D

Then we come home and our AC is busted and our landlord doesn't have the best English is uber stubborn, sends his old dad to look at the machine and we tell him to turn the power off so he doesn't electrocute himself and they don't listen to us!  The turn it off AFTER the fact lol.  Guess I was right after all!

So it's like DBZ but not really because people with powers were common in Dragon Ball, but they eventually faded into the background in DBZ and then you had an entire population except for King Furry (yes, really, the king of the Earth is a dog guy in Dragon Ball universe) forgetting that Goku saved everyone from King Piccolo as a kid.  It would be like if everyone forgot World War II or 9/11 happened.  Ridiculous.  And Hercule getting credit for beating Cell and everyone thinks powers are fake or never heard of them because... reasons?  ARGH.  But yeah.

So all the characters are still unlikable assholes?

I mean, to me, no women to me is not natural since our world has women in it, and I like to see women in my fiction.  It's not like this is a sports anime or something where you expect it to be mostly one gender or another with supporting cast from the opposite gender.  Also probably why I never watch male sports animes lol.  I mean, I was heavily disinterested in the last Final Fantasy game because it was all dudes.  Though I found out later that's just the story the creator wanted to tell.  The guys also act differently if you have a girl character around apparently (realistic) haha.

Yes.  I recommend Robotech version hammy dub and all it is not THAT bad of a dub at all either believe it or not.  Just names were changed and little scenes added in to fit the "trilogy" together. 

There are more Macross specific sequels of course but they aren't necessary.  They also don't tie in to Robotech.  Macross II The Movie and the one series that Sci-Fi showed were good.  A few years ago they apparently made a blasphemous fan service Macross anime!  ...then I remembered the 80s show had full nudity.  But, it was tasteful, I tell you!  There's a difference between perverted camera angles and showing a girl taking a shower and panning over her whole body... I think!

But, I'll start HxH 99 as my next anime in my endless binge-a-thon once I can get caught up on sleep.  I hope we get our AC fixed soon and my landlord's dad doesn't end up like Doc Brown!

Edited by ben0119

On 4/20/2023 at 3:38 PM, Daos said:

You know the only point that show resembled a decent anime for me was the York New City ark. And I think a big part of that was because it took the focus off the protagonists.

I don't buy for a second that the author was intentionally writing Gon as a sociopath. I think it's similar to Goku where after people pointed out the character's behavior to the author the author said "Oh yeah, that's totally intentional I meant to write him that way" 

I still remember Killua murdering someone during a tournament and Gon was like "GEE I SURE HOPE KILLUA IS OK!"

I never saw it.  When does that arc happen?

Yeah.  Slightly off-topic but related.  I just saw Save The Last Dance for the first time.  If the HxH author wrote that movie, Malakai would be considered a "great guy" and the main guy (Dereck?) should be friends with him no matter how fucked up and evil he gets!  Go on the drive by with him come on dude!  Fuck Sarah! :D

It's funny because Goku was a totally different personality in Dragon Ball and earlier DBZ and was actually somewhat adorable, innocent, and likable.  He also KILLED bad guys.  So, Goku grew up and became merciful to villains because reasons and also became a shitty father, husband, and friend because... reasons.  Toriyama literally forgot the personality of his own main character.  At least Gohan, Vegeta, Krillin, 18, ChiChi, Bulma, Trunks, etc were handled better.  But nope FUCK the main character we can half-ass him! :D Of course Goku was at least decent at the end of DBZ still.  He was RUINED in Super my god.  Toriyama is literally senile or a troll I swear.

Yeah... Gon and Killua are both sociopaths but we're supposed to root for and like them lmao.

1gct4u.jpg

Is this thing I made back then considered in poor taste by 2023 standards? 🤣 I took this from a manga panel where one guy jumps through the other guy at super speed and bifurcates him.  Was it Bleach, Naruto?  JoJo?

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Sounds like 2011 did an even worse job than FMA: Brotherhood did with the early FMA material then (if it's more accurate to the FMA manga that is not inherently a good thing there, either, and we all love the new Bleach anime BECAUSE it's not super accurate to the final arc!)

Sort of, but I don't think the issue you had was necessarily with the content as much as how it was presented. 2011 doesn't really convey what Gon is like since they really ramp up the cheerful shonen vibe and cut down on characterization.

I didn't realize HxH 99 covered THAT much material.  Sounds like I can watch a good chunk of it and then continue off to... killer ant or whatever in 2011?  I'll see how I like the main 99 anime first, before going for all those OVAs.  I'll try the dub and see how it is.  Unless the dub is really bad, or it's a show I really love, or a really appealing show with no dub, I don't care to watch most anime in Japanese.

It's all but the most recent 3 arcs.

I just went to a cardiologist yesterday and found out I didn't have a heart attack during this episode I had cutting the grass where I could barely breath and felt like my chest was going to explode.  But he still wants me to do a echocardiogram and lab work.  I have TERRIBLE family health history on both sides too.  Ugh.  My mom is claiming my grandfather on my father's side died of a heart attack at 38 before my father was born.  But she exaggerates and can't be taken seriously most of the time so I can't take shit like that as gospel.  Like, him being in the Mexican Mafia AND the Italian Mafia at the same time?  He's worse than a HxH character! :D

Glad it doesn't sound too severe.

So it's like DBZ but not really because people with powers were common in Dragon Ball, but they eventually faded into the background in DBZ and then you had an entire population except for King Furry (yes, really, the king of the Earth is a dog guy in Dragon Ball universe) forgetting that Goku saved everyone from King Piccolo as a kid.  It would be like if everyone forgot World War II or 9/11 happened.  Ridiculous.  And Hercule getting credit for beating Cell and everyone thinks powers are fake or never heard of them because... reasons?  ARGH.  But yeah.

Those are world-ending powers that are visible to most people. It's not that people forgot. It's that most users keep it close to their chest since each ability is unique to the user and anyone knowing their ability is a serious risk. That's not a universal pretense, people outside the Hunter Organization can figure it out on their own and nobody is strictly barred from exposing it. It just isn't super common knowledge. A ton of them can't be seen without special training, either.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So all the characters are still unlikable assholes?

Wouldn't say that. They're presented with more mature storytelling and better characterization, so their actions are more understandable. I'd say they're more likable and it's more neutral on how you're supposed to view them. Phantom Troupe and Chimera Ant tackle those kinds of aspects and are very critical of the cast.

Though even in 2011, they actually do address stuff like that early. Everyone is caught of guard by Gon's bizarre sense of morality. '99 shows more of his upbringing with him basically running around the forrest all day, how Kite (the person that caused Gon to look for Ging) impacted Gon's morality, how Mito literally hid the existence of Hunters from Gon to prevent him from following his dad. Stuff that got removed from 2011.

It's a case of 2011 making the wrong kind of changes in adaption. That stuff was in the manga. They're less "good guys" or "bad guys", and more somewhere in the middle. It's acknowledged much more thoroughly earlier in '99. I found it made them more likable despite being at core very similar.

It's moodier without being overly edgy. Dark, perhaps, but handled maturely.

mean, to me, no women to me is not natural since our world has women in it, and I like to see women in my fiction.  It's not like this is a sports anime or something where you expect it to be mostly one gender or another with supporting cast from the opposite gender.  Also probably why I never watch male sports animes lol.  I mean, I was heavily disinterested in the last Final Fantasy game because it was all dudes.  Though I found out later that's just the story the creator wanted to tell.  The guys also act differently if you have a girl character around apparently (realistic) haha.

There are women. Takes a while for any to be center stage, but there are quite a few major ones throughout. Most ensemble arcs like Phantom Troupe, Chimera Ant, and the Succession War have multiple main characters separate from the protagonist(s) that are women, and Biscuit Krueger is effectively a part of the main group for Greed Island.

I should have time to watch some of Robotech in the near future. I got wrapped up in nigh nonstop Xeno series stuff that's been ongoing since Xenoblade 3 came out. Revisited 1, 2,  and Xenosaga, finished Xenogears, and am mostly done with Xenoblade X outside post-game/side stories. I've watched maybe 2 or 3 things on my own since XC3 came out and both were sequels. 🙄

• Thanks 1