UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

5 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Switching candidates 4 months prior to an election might be disastrous. I’m not a fan of Biden. I don’t like his foreign policies and I definitely don’t like his handling of the Israel/Hamas conflict. 

I don’t want to vote for Biden at all but there’s no one else. I wasn’t going to vote for President this GE but now I’m unsure. I think it’s more important that if Trump does win, that he doesn’t win the popular vote.  By making no vote at all that’s 1 less vote against Trump, and he’s such a fuckin man baby, that things like popular vote is important to him. It stung his ass that he didn’t win the PV despite him not needing to to be elected 

i'm with you on this. but, it looks like some 'big wigs' are making a lot of noise. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

i'm with you on this. but, it looks like some 'big wigs' are making a lot of noise. 

Who else is there?  Gavin Newsome?  Isn’t he just another corporate democrat?  Besides it’s not long enough to gain any trust. Idk. All the NY Post can talk about is the “disastrous debate” instead of focusing on all the lies Trump told and the things he refused to admit or say about Jan 6

• Thanks 3

Hypothetically, if you got someone and Joe endorsed Jim wholeheartedly, you could probably make an appeal to both the “Joe is too old” and “Fuck Trump” crowds, as well as pointing out the party wants what’s best for the country, not personal glory like Trump.  But it is a very delicate tightrope.

Kamala is another Hilary. The left hates her because she was a pro-cop state attorney general. The middle and right hate her because she presents herself as a progressive.

And frankly she just doesn't have the charisma. When she's faking it it's very clear she's faking it.

And no I don't think it would be racist or sexist to pass her over. She is just poison for voter numbers. I am sure there are plenty of other women of color out there that could pull better numbers.

• Like 2

Like I said, the reaction to the debate is traditional Democratic panic. They panic at least once every election cycle no matter what's happening. 

I can say this because I have been one of them. I panicked back in 2012 because there was a period when I thought Romney was going to win. It's funny now, but there were a few weeks when I was like, "oh my gosh. Obama is going to lose". And then election day came and I was like, "oh. well, that's a pleasant surprise". 

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Who else is there?  Gavin Newsome?  Isn’t he just another corporate democrat?  Besides it’s not long enough to gain any trust. Idk.

This is basically what I've been lamenting for.. a couple years now. I really wanted Biden to be a one-term president, just for all the muck he had to wade through to pull us to this point, and hoped someone else could pick up with a much better starting point.

But. Nobody really put themselves forward. I think, as a party, they've really got to be considering and aware of getting their hopeful's name out in the public sphere way ahead of elections. Else you just get stuck with a situation of voters choosing the known over the unknown.

Republicans have this down, with a laundry list of candidates making enough noise to get their base's attention. They'd likely happily vote for any one of them running, as long as they keep rolling in shit. Dems, I don't think they've even got any Bernie copium left.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Belize said:

Like I said, the reaction to the debate is traditional Democratic panic. They panic at least once every election cycle no matter what's happening. 

I can say this because I have been one of them. I panicked back in 2012 because there was a period when I thought Romney was going to win. It's funny now, but there were a few weeks when I was like, "oh my gosh. Obama is going to lose". And then election day came and I was like, "oh. well, that's a pleasant surprise". 

I panicked in 2016 I'll admit it

• Like 1

If we are really concerned about Biden's health, remember that resignation as president is always an option. Say, he is reelected in November, serves as president for another year and then decides a sudden health problem makes him the second president in history to resign. 

That would be a much cleaner option than him dropping out of a campaign against Trump four months before the election. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Belize said:

If we are really concerned about Biden's health, remember that resignation as president is always an option. Say, he is reelected in November, serves as president for another year and then decides a sudden health problem makes him the second president in history to resign. 

That would be a much cleaner option than him dropping out of a campaign against Trump four months before the election. 

Sure but running primarily on your VP being your guaranteed replacement isn't the kind of thing that will make voters enthusiastic. *Cough McCain Palin cough*

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Sure but running primarily on your VP being your guaranteed replacement isn't the kind of thing that will make voters enthusiastic. *Cough McCain Palin cough*

I'm not saying Biden runs now on that message, or he even thinks about doing it. I'm just saying resignation as president is a legitimate possibility that wouldn't be a negative thing. And it would be preferable to having this messy debate over Biden's health right now, four months before the election. 

So, there's a proposition: vote for Biden, get him reelected. And then if these health issues are really a problem, Biden can always resign. And Harris would become president. 

The threat of Trump would be gone, so we wouldn't be doing this under duress. Biden could actually plan his exit and wouldn't be doing it under pressure. Harris would be a fresh slate, and you guys who are critical of Biden-Harris could start arguing about her merits (whether she is good or bad). And all the while, Biden-Harris would be appointing judges, implementing green climate policies and trying to forgive student debt. 

Do you accept this deal?

Edited by Belize

2 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

so vote for the lesser evil. 

like the last 5 decades of the 2 party system. 

gotcha'. 

That’s always been the choice I blame Regan for where we are today 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Belize said:

I'm not saying Biden runs now on that message, or he even thinks about doing it. I'm just saying resignation as president is a legitimate possibility that wouldn't be a negative thing. And it would be preferable to having this messy debate over Biden's health right now, four months before the election. 

Biden taking the nom and running again with some resignation plan if things go south for him health wise is a terrible idea. Him resigning midterm would be so destabilizing for the country and you underestimate how much people hate Harris. Like thousands of people won’t vote for Biden because that puts her way too close to being president 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

absofuckinglutely. 

After the shit he’s done which destroyed the middle class, and every politician running knows this, they do absolutely nothing to change it.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

And no I don't think it would be racist or sexist to pass her over. She is just poison for voter numbers. I am sure there are plenty of other women of color out there that could pull better numbers.

She has like a 70% approval rating among Black voters (aka Democrats' most important constituency). If she gets passed over by a white guy or exchanged for another Black woman in the #2 slot after spending four years breaking ties in the Senate, it will not work out. It's effectively an open admission that a. there is a glass ceiling, and b. she was pure window dressing for their votes.

• Like 3

I don't think most Americans know who the current VP is. You have to be known to be controversial.

She would do okay as POTUS, in my opinion.

Edited by Belize

the very idea that the media is spinning this, like 'the final decision is made by the family', like someone is pulling the plug. 

i wonder what the ratings of other parts of the world's version of fox news is. 

the old white man, who happens to have a stutter, had to try to keep up with every lie, and garbled 2 speak #45 was throwing out there. i had a hard time trying to keep up with trump. i had a fact check going irt. 

here's what should be a fucking problem: the u.s.voters, 49% +/-,  say that 'hey it's totally cool to put a convicted felon, known liar, rapist, 2x impeached man child, that absolutely tried to take over d.c. with insurrection, BACK in office. why the fuck not? because boy oh boy, it beats voting for an old guy, that stutters, and has been in politics his entire adult life. 

btw. harris is perfectly capable to play the part. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

After the shit he’s done which destroyed the middle class, and every politician running knows this, they do absolutely nothing to change it.  

clinton. he started, but he's been blamed for the housing crash, (which, was not) but the fanny mae was, imo, a good start. (inb4 the debate).

Spoiler

it was the laws governing the lenders, or lack of. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

She has like a 70% approval rating among Black voters (aka Democrats' most important constituency). If she gets passed over by a white guy or exchanged for another Black woman in the #2 slot after spending four years breaking ties in the Senate, it will not work out. It's effectively an open admission that a. there is a glass ceiling, and b. she was pure window dressing for their votes.

I found the polling which does include the 70% black voter approval dating back to April beyond that it's not the best picture

https://www.latimes.com/projects/kamala-harris-approval-rating-polls-vs-biden-other-vps/

I do think she was put in as VP as a diversity candidate next to old super white guy Biden. The whole reason we're talking about her as a candidate is because of how it impacts the black vote. I'm very curious what the current polling is of her after the debate.

15 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

clinton. he started, but he's been blamed for the housing crash, (which, was not) but the fanny mae was, imo, a good start. (inb4 the debate).

Hide contents

it was the laws governing the lenders, or lack of. 

Fucking deregulation...

31 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

the very idea that the media is spinning this, like 'the final decision is made by the family', like someone is pulling the plug. 

i wonder what the ratings of other parts of the world's version of fox news is. 

the old white man, who happens to have a stutter, had to try to keep up with every lie, and garbled 2 speak #45 was throwing out there. i had a hard time trying to keep up with trump. i had a fact check going irt. 

here's what should be a fucking problem: the u.s.voters, 49% +/-,  say that 'hey it's totally cool to put a convicted felon, known liar, rapist, 2x impeached man child, that absolutely tried to take over d.c. with insurrection, BACK in office. why the fuck not? because boy oh boy, it beats voting for an old guy, that stutters, and has been in politics his entire adult life. 

btw. harris is perfectly capable to play the part. 

It's actually very easy to be president - Trump was fucking president. The problem becomes if you're likable and which party's policies you're going to push. Becoming president is not about capability unfortunately. And yeah that's fucked.

Edited by matrixman124

Its truly amazing to see the narrative shift like it has. 50 million people watched the debate, and the WH and their propaganda arm are telling us to not believe our own eyes.

We all saw it, any honest person knows hes too old for the job and should step down. But we are being told that what we all say isnt actually true, and that Biden is still just as sharp as ever. Its remarkable how shameless they are in trying to cling to power.

Ettingermentum : a dude whose constant claim to fame is he talked about the 2022 election a lot and got things right. Seriously, it's listed as his crowning achievement ad nauseum. 

Alex Thompson/Thomson : currently writing a book about Biden which mysteriously mimics a lot of the reported issues that were occurring during the Drumpf Disaster Years. 

It's remarkable how shameless trumplicans are in trying to cling to power. Their golden fraud is a convicted felon, a rapist, a serial sex pest, and actively attempted to overthrow the government because he lost the election by inciting a mob to violence but hey, you couldn't have possibly seen any of that shit happening live right? Jan 6th never happened and don't talk to the Fehrer between certain hours of the day because he's on 'executive time'. :| 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Its truly amazing to see the narrative shift like it has. 50 million people watched the debate, and the WH and their propaganda arm are telling us to not believe our own eyes.

We all saw it, any honest person knows hes too old for the job and should step down. But we are being told that what we all say isnt actually true, and that Biden is still just as sharp as ever. Its remarkable how shameless they are in trying to cling to power.

How much debt do you have from your medical degree?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

MD he had a weak first 5 minutes after that he was ok. People want to talk about how he looked lost when it wasn’t his turn to answer a question. Gimme a fuckin break he has to listen to Trump tell the most ridiculous lies anyone would look lost listening to that bullshit in real time. It’s as though you only want us to pay attention to what our eyes saw for 5….10 minutes tops. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

MD he had a weak first 5 minutes after that he was ok. People want to talk about how he looked lost when it wasn’t his turn to answer a question. Gimme a fuckin break he has to listen to Trump tell the most ridiculous lies anyone would look lost listening to that bullshit in real time. It’s as though you only want us to pay attention to what our eyes saw for 5….10 minutes tops. 

No, just.....no.  It was not a bad first 5 minutes. it was 90 minutes of him constantly losing track of what was going on and looking completely lost. The problem with your statement is you are asking 50 million people to not believe their eyes.

Your also using Trump as a measuring stick. If Biden couldnt keep up with Trumps bullshit, how in the world is he supposed to keep up with Putin or Xi?  The answer is clear, he isnt, and he cant.

NEW POST-DEBATE POLL: Whopping 72% of Americans Don’t Think Biden Has the ‘Mental and Cognitive Health’ to Be President

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-post-debate-poll-whopping-72-of-americans-dont-think-biden-has-the-mental-and-cognitive-health-to-be-president/

"According to a CBS News/You Gov poll out Sunday — a whopping 72 percent of Americans believe Biden does not have the “mental and cognitive health to serve as president.” That’s a 7 point increase from just three weeks ago. By comparison, voters are essentially split on whether former President Donald Trump has the mental and cognitive health for the job — with 50 percent saying he does, and 49 percent saying he does not.

Further, the survey found an overwhelming number of Americans believe the president should not run for reelection — including nearly half of his own party. Overall, 72 percent of respondents told CBS/You Gov that Biden should not seek reelection — a number which includes a stunning 46 percent of Democrats. "

Again, the problem with the current talking point is that its asking everyone to not believe their own eyes. I would ask where that 18% who dont think hes lost it come from, but its clear that many of them are in this thread.

Just now, Master-Debater131 said:

No, just.....no.  It was not a bad first 5 minutes. it was 90 minutes of him constantly losing track of what was going on and looking completely lost. The problem with your statement is you are asking 50 million people to not believe their eyes.

Your also using Trump as a measuring stick. If Biden couldnt keep up with Trumps bullshit, how in the world is he supposed to keep up with Putin or Xi?  The answer is clear, he isnt, and he cant.

We were watching not the same debate then because he was a lot quicker and clearer as time went on and YES I’m using Trump as the measuring stick because that’s his opponent lol WTF? 😆

• Like 3

Just now, Master-Debater131 said:

NEW POST-DEBATE POLL: Whopping 72% of Americans Don’t Think Biden Has the ‘Mental and Cognitive Health’ to Be President

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-post-debate-poll-whopping-72-of-americans-dont-think-biden-has-the-mental-and-cognitive-health-to-be-president/

"According to a CBS News/You Gov poll out Sunday — a whopping 72 percent of Americans believe Biden does not have the “mental and cognitive health to serve as president.” That’s a 7 point increase from just three weeks ago. By comparison, voters are essentially split on whether former President Donald Trump has the mental and cognitive health for the job — with 50 percent saying he does, and 49 percent saying he does not.

Further, the survey found an overwhelming number of Americans believe the president should not run for reelection — including nearly half of his own party. Overall, 72 percent of respondents told CBS/You Gov that Biden should not seek reelection — a number which includes a stunning 46 percent of Democrats. "

Again, the problem with the current talking point is that its asking everyone to not believe their own eyes. I would ask where that 18% who dont think hes lost it come from, but its clear that many of them are in this thread.

Yeah cuz most people didn’t watch past 5 minutes and the rest just focus on when he looked bad and not after when the drugs kicked in 

• Thanks 2

“The problem is you’re using the opponent as a measuring stick” is basically what you said to me which is almost as crazy as “they may be experts but they weren’t elected” 😆 there go them crazy pills again 

• Like 3

Just now, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah cuz most people didn’t watch past 5 minutes and the rest just focus on when he looked bad and not after when the drugs kicked in 

You can keep believing that all you want. Your absolutely, and hilariously, wrong, but you do you.

This is screaming 2016 all over again. I, and many others, spent months saying Hillary was such a garbage candidate that Trump could actually win. No one believed it. There was no way Hillary could lose to Trump. Then election night happened and people couldnt possibly believe that Trump won.

Now we are seeing the same exact thing play out. There have been warning signs for years that Bidens mental state has been in decline if not outright failed, yet no one on the Left wants to believe it. The debate exposed and confirmed what so many people have been noticing for a very long time. Biden is not mentally capable of 4 more years.

Were watching the same exact thing play out, and when Trump wins your going to hear the same chorus of people asking how it could possibly happen when the signs have been there the whole time.

21 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

You can keep believing that all you want. Your absolutely, and hilariously, wrong, but you do you.

This is screaming 2016 all over again. I, and many others, spent months saying Hillary was such a garbage candidate that Trump could actually win. No one believed it. There was no way Hillary could lose to Trump. Then election night happened and people couldnt possibly believe that Trump won.

Such a comparison doesn't work. Biden is an incumbent president running for reelection who had no significant primary challengers and Clinton was not. 

• Like 2

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the historian Lichtman and his method of predicting presidential elections. His ideas are fascinating and much of it is agreeable. He basically says campaigns don't matter, and governance is what determines the winner of a presidential election. To that end, it's a perfect answer to the problem of a "perpetual campaign", where campaigns oversaturate our minds, with a new election starting as soon as the previous one ends. 

It also explains why good politicians lose and bad politicians win. Trump is a bad politician, but he won in 2016 because he was just "the other guy" who was the alternative to the ruling party who had enough fundamentals go against them. 

I find that agreeable. Election campaigns are meaningless. We quickly forget the ups and downs of them. I completely believe that how the economy has been handled, what laws were passed, what foreign policy events occurred have more impact than a campaign.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Now we are seeing the same exact thing play out. There have been warning signs for years that Bidens mental state has been in decline if not outright failed, yet no one on the Left wants to believe it. The debate exposed and confirmed what so many people have been noticing for a very long time. Biden is not mentally capable of 4 more years.

Were watching the same exact thing play out, and when Trump wins your going to hear the same chorus of people asking how it could possibly happen when the signs have been there the whole time.

I’m not wrong he did get stronger as the debate went on I watched it for well over an hour. I don’t like either candidate but I don’t suffer fools either who want to see 5-10 minutes of something and stick with that conclusion.  I’m not saying Biden will win. I’m saying people make decisions off of snap shots instead of the whole picture. It’s not my fault you and most everyone you know are stupid, that the electorate is stupid and will vote for a felon rapist if the old man yelling at clouds doesn’t drop out even though that old man added jobs strengthened our economy and consumer protections in the time he’s been president 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Most people didn't watch the debate....like so many were vocal about not doing, then let the media tell them what to think about it....sheeple are the fucking worst

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

No he had a lot of stumbling. He got visibly flustered and had issues with cutting down on Trump's bullshit even stooping to the same level with him on name calling and the whole golf handicap debacle.

They're both old but Biden was off the whole debate.

At this point I literally just need Trump to lose so he doesn't pack the Supreme Court further. That is it.

Edited by matrixman124

24 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Most people didn't watch the debate....like so many were vocal about not doing, then let the media tell them what to think about it....sheeple are the fucking worst

Like Pat said people will only remember the first few minutes and ignore the rest. What I didn’t expect was for someone to be like “you’re the dumb ass for viewing and judging the debate based off more than 5 minutes” 😆 I should have expected that shit though. This isn’t my first time in an election thread 😆😶‍🌫️

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

No he had a lot of stumbling. He got visibly flustered and had issues with cutting down on Trump's bullshit even stooping to the same level with him on name calling and the whole golf handicap debacle.

They're both old but Biden was off the whole debate.

At this point I literally just need Trump to lose so he doesn't pack the Supreme Court further. That is it.

He stutters. He wasn’t up there doing 2 hours of dementia talk.  It wasn’t a “disastrous performance” it wasn’t great but it wasn’t an entire debate of Biden not answering questions. Trump didn’t answer a single fuckin question and lied the entire time 

no one won that debate but to say Biden has dementia based off it is dumb 

none of this matters anyway because no one else can take his place at this point. How would that even work?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

He stutters. He wasn’t up there doing 2 hours of dementia talk.  It wasn’t a “disastrous performance” it wasn’t great but it wasn’t an entire debate of Biden not answering questions. Trump didn’t answer a single fuckin question and lied the entire time 

no one won that debate but to say Biden has dementia based off it is dumb 

I don't know if he has dementia but he was acting like an old man who was there past his bed time. It's not a great look if you only have your shit together during the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matrixman124 said:

I don't know if he has dementia but he was acting like an old man who was there past his bed time. It's not a great look if you only have your shit together during the day.

That’s true if I only have your shit together during the day it could be a sign of sundowning but idk if that’s the case. Some outlets are saying it is but idk. These outlets lie. For all I know it’s true and has been true since 2020, or a complete fabrication for clicks and views 

If Trump wins, and it’s a very strong possibility, he will get more SC picks and those pics will change the country for, no joke, 50, maybe even 100 years.  His picks have another 40 years left in them. It could take who knows how long to get the court balanced again so saying the country could be fucked for a century is not an exaggeration 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1