UnevenEdge

Founder of Oculus creates VR headset that can kill you IRL to celebrate Sword Art Online’s in-universe launch

Jman

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

They didn’t test this with a living human right?

It's just a piece of "office art" for now, per the article. He'll get back to it when he has the time.

Interestingly, another article I saw on this subject pointed out that, while there haven't been any deadly video games IRL, there have been those that attempt to bring actual pain to the medium. In 2001, they held a Tekken 3 tournament where the participants received electric shocks corresponding with the injuries to their characters, which sounds pretty hardcore. We should probably focus on adding that to video games before we get to the out-and-out death part, though this doesn't seem like a very good idea as it is.

And also, LOL at Al's react to the OP. I would've responded with a laughing react, but it wasn't directed at the post itself.

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

They....they realize the guy who made the thing in-story was the villain, right?

I don’t think we can say that for sure. A villain has a goal. Be it terror to change society, enriching themselves, or just creating chaos for the sake of chaos. 

Why did Kayaba do what he did?

“I dunno”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

It's just a piece of "office art" for now, per the article. He'll get back to it when he has the time.

Interestingly, another article I saw on this subject pointed out that, while there haven't been any deadly video games IRL, there have been those that attempt to bring actual pain to the medium. In 2001, they held a Tekken 3 tournament where the participants received electric shocks corresponding with the injuries to their characters, which sounds pretty hardcore. We should probably focus on adding that to video games before we get to the out-and-out death part, though this doesn't seem like a very good idea as it is.

And also, LOL at Al's react to the OP. I would've responded with a laughing react, but it wasn't directed at the post itself.

Got you covered.

10 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I read the Gizmodo article about this earlier today and surprisingly, I took the most offense at them calling SAO a "web comic".

But yeah, Do Not Build the Terminal Nexus and all that nonsense.

How dare they! It was a web NOVEL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...