UnevenEdge

Carbon neutral shipping.

André Toulon

3 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I have no fucking clue, but this site I'm on promises it.....I haven't googled it yet, hoping y'all knew.

It looks like I might not have been so far off. The companies are saying that they’ll invest in green energy and natural resources to offset their carbon emissions idk how much that works or if it’s bullshit

2 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Omfg, the carbon offsets again...

I remember when this was a thing like 20 years ago...didn't some company claim to have planted trees in Cali and all the alleged trees burned

Idk about the fire thing but I think Elon Musk sells carbon credits and apparently makes a killing 

https://news.bloombergtax.com/financial-accounting/sec-pushes-tesla-to-reveal-how-regulatory-credits-boost-profits

John Oliver recently did a thing on carbon offsets.
They can work if done right but spoilers, they're often not.

And of course some companies are switching to electric vehicles which are better but still not carbon neutral.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 12:19 PM, Sieg67 said:

John Oliver recently did a thing on carbon offsets.
They can work if done right but spoilers, they're often not.

And of course some companies are switching to electric vehicles which are better but still not carbon neutral.

I dont really feel like or have tge time to look now but can you possibly point me to where its been done right?

Not disagreeing, just curious

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

You know how we could probably capture a good amount of carbon? 

Get a ton of fast-growing bamboo plantations, harvest them, reduce them to charcoal, and bury it.

Why does it need to be reduced to charcoal?

Otherwise, yeah, carbon sequestration is the only viable answer. Trying to quantify any product's carbon footprint is a fool's errand. Reducing emissions, carbon credits, planting trees, etc etc, none of it answers the root of the issue, which is an abundance of carbon previously inaccessible now added to the biosphere.

Problem is, carbon sequestration is itself a pretty ridiculous idea, taking into consideration the scale it would need to be implemented on to have a significant impact.

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

Problem is, carbon sequestration is itself a pretty ridiculous idea, taking into consideration the scale it would need to be implemented on to have a significant impact.

I mean, I think we've crossed over into too little too late long ago...which is why I was curious as to how this work and if it even works

1 hour ago, André Toulon said:

The rabbit hole for this idiot is producing jewels today......you don't need carbon offsets if you just pretend to care sometimes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/kim-kardashian-water-drought-climate-change-1234587222/amp/

Fuck that bitch. I barely could finish reading that. “Sometimes there are bigger fish to fry”. Of course she don’t gaf she’s got the $ to leave the planet. What could be a bigger fish than making sure the rock we live on doesn’t dry up and die? 

• Thanks 5

On 9/4/2022 at 11:38 PM, Top Gun said:

I've seen a number of UPS trucks that are labeled as running on natural gas, which is...slightly better I guess?

Not really.

Way too many of those trucks have had things like AC removed to help 'speed along the process / save money' but it's resulting in delivery drivers collapsing on the job during heat waves. 

There's a reason that more and more people who get stuff delivered regularly either have cold bottled water on hand or in an ice bucket on the porch depending on the area. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Fuck that bitch. I barely could finish reading that. “Sometimes there are bigger fish to fry”. Of course she don’t gaf she’s got the $ to leave the planet. What could be a bigger fish than making sure the rock we live on doesn’t dry up and die? 

I never understood why she is famous or why anybody would give two fucks about her.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I was talking more like numbers....like something saying Nike did this and their carbon offset have reduced greenhouse emission damagw by so much a percent.

Not sure if I really have the resources or the know-how to look deeply into that.  I see stuff like this but I'm not satisfied with the lack of real details.
I know it's just an example but I wouldn't trust Nike to do anything good.  They're famous for using child labor and sweatshops.

Edited by Sieg67

1 minute ago, Sieg67 said:

Not sure if I really have the resources or the know-how to look deeply into that.  I see stuff like this but I'm not satisfied with the lack of real details.
I know it's just an example but I wouldn't trust Nike to do anything good.  They're famous for using child labor and sweatshops.

Well Nike was just the first company that came to mind...I wasn't actually hoping for them to have done anything.

But yeah, I looked for details too but I guess you can't quantify that shit.....which is my entire issue with offering me something I can't measure