UnevenEdge

Dating profiles

UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS

It is a sad and awful culture we have. Every city needs more communal events, show spaces, close off the car roads and make downtown's exclusive to walking, the streets as open public space, empty buildings and houses being alotted and used by people who could really use them.l, to the great benefit of the city 

• D'oh 1

4 minutes ago, Nabreezy said:

It is a sad and awful culture we have. Every city needs more communal events, show spaces, close off the car roads and make downtown's exclusive to walking, the streets as open public space, empty buildings and houses being alotted and used by people who could really use them.l, to the great benefit of the city 

lol, Japan has everything you just described and it isn't doing too well with contemporary social issues. I agree that America needs better city-planning, but it's not enough to put a dent into social woes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

lol, Japan has everything you just described and it isn't doing too well with contemporary social issues. I agree that America needs better city-planning, but it's not enough to put a dent into social woes.

America already sort of does it.  Any city with historic downtown quarters that are more than 100 years old has been incorporated some form of a modified access plan for the down town that emphasizes open spaces with pedestrian corridors, rehabilitated and repurposed spaced,  and some form of off-boulevard parking.  Obviously, the purpose is explicitly to encourage business traffic (usually dining) with social benefits directly tied to economic indicators or an afterthought.

A good example of the problem can be seen in most European cities.  Florence, for instance, has more recently shut off traffic to it's city center, and it has certainly boosted foot traffic into that area...but most of those pedestrians are tourists.  It highlights a point that often gets lost on those that are proponents of it:  the cities that developed a compact town center did so explicitly as commercial districts.  Nostalgia might paint these areas as an ideal that Walt Disney pioneered, but doing so counters their social purpose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

America already sort of does it.  Any city with historic downtown quarters that are more than 100 years old has been incorporated some form of a modified access plan for the down town that emphasizes open spaces with pedestrian corridors, rehabilitated and repurposed spaced,  and some form of off-boulevard parking.  Obviously, the purpose is explicitly to encourage business traffic (usually dining) with social benefits directly tied to economic indicators or an afterthought.

A good example of the problem can be seen in most European cities.  Florence, for instance, has more recently shut off traffic to it's city center, and it has certainly boosted foot traffic into that area...but most of those pedestrians are tourists.  It highlights a point that often gets lost on those that are proponents of it:  the cities that developed a compact town center did so explicitly as commercial districts.  Nostalgia might paint these areas as an ideal that Walt Disney pioneered, but doing so counters their social purpose.

Hmm, well I'm not gonna pretend to know much about this topic. I just know that mixed-zoning is much more common in Japan than it is in America, and it's much less car-dependent. Obviously, this has more to do with the limited availability of land than anything else. That's the issue with America, I feel . . . there are huge swaths of land, so the mindset here is why would anyone build compactly when we don't have to? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Hmm, well I'm not gonna pretend to know much about this topic. I just know that mixed-zoning is much more common in Japan than it is in America, and it's much less car-dependent. Obviously, this has more to do with the limited availability of land than anything else. That's the issue with America, I feel . . . there are huge swaths of land, so the mindset here is why would anyone build compactly when we don't have to? 

It's not exactly that, though.  Reminds me of a myth about Los Angeles that get perpetuated - that freeways got built because tire or oil companies (depending on the telling) were looking to build business.  To be fair, it's less a myth than a fantasy that's part of the Hollywood Noir vision of early LA, a greater analog  on the folly of men bending arid and flat California to its will and paying a price for it, but it has some basis in the true genesis of the massive petroleum industry in SoCal.  The problem is that the fantasy of man's vanity perhaps overlooks larger demographic patterns that actually drove the rapid expansion of the LA Basin.  To be blunt, America in general and the American West in particular expanded at an extremely rapid pace.  The huge expansion of the LA Metro region coincides with several large migration events over the latter half of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century, such as the Industrial Revolution, economic upheavals in Western Europe, the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, and both World Wars.  It's not so much as we didn't want to build in a traditional compacted centers as much as we simply couldn't.  Places like Los Angeles were ripe for expansion because they had the natural resources and the space to accommodate the influx. 

By comparison, places like Japan built up over a very long period of time.  They cities in Japan didn't experience the massive and rapid emigration that a lot of American cities experienced.  They were, in fact, protected from such events because of their limited space.

2 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Just always remember that it can always be sadder.

Pffft...This shit aint even real is it? I think I saw Leon Lush reacting to this in a slew of dating profile cringe posts, but the only shit I find when I google it is a reddit thread and aljeezera/dailymail making articles about it. Funny if true, but something smells funny idk.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/china-nurse-wants-government-to-assign-a-boyfriend-to-her-when-epidemic-is-over-2524779.html

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
Meh think it was an intentional gag post by the nurse anyway after looking into it a bit more.

11 hours ago, Nabreezy said:

We used to have things like that. But it's quite hard in Upstate NY when it's negative out and there's a shit ton of snow.

10 hours ago, scoobdog said:

It's not exactly that, though.  Reminds me of a myth about Los Angeles that get perpetuated - that freeways got built because tire or oil companies (depending on the telling) were looking to build business.  To be fair, it's less a myth than a fantasy that's part of the Hollywood Noir vision of early LA, a greater analog  on the folly of men bending arid and flat California to its will and paying a price for it, but it has some basis in the true genesis of the massive petroleum industry in SoCal.  The problem is that the fantasy of man's vanity perhaps overlooks larger demographic patterns that actually drove the rapid expansion of the LA Basin.  To be blunt, America in general and the American West in particular expanded at an extremely rapid pace.  The huge expansion of the LA Metro region coincides with several large migration events over the latter half of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century, such as the Industrial Revolution, economic upheavals in Western Europe, the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, and both World Wars.  It's not so much as we didn't want to build in a traditional compacted centers as much as we simply couldn't.  Places like Los Angeles were ripe for expansion because they had the natural resources and the space to accommodate the influx. 

By comparison, places like Japan built up over a very long period of time.  They cities in Japan didn't experience the massive and rapid emigration that a lot of American cities experienced.  They were, in fact, protected from such events because of their limited space.

I think I'm thinking more of suburban sprawl than anything else. For example, cul-de-sacs are a really bad design for pedestrian traffic and make areas more car-dependent. I don't recall seeing a single cul-de-sac every time I've been to Japan. It's a waste of space, and space is premium there. I pass by new local housing developments here in PA, and they are frequently made in cul-de-sacs. Sure, they're good for leisurely walks, but no one who lives there is gonna be walking to the grocery store five miles away. In Japan, the suburbs are still very walkable, often times more than American cities.

Pennsylvania is full of old train towns that are very centralized and walkable. You can see the effect of the car and suburban sprawl when you compare new suburbs with the old train towns.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bnmjy said:

I think I'm thinking more of suburban sprawl than anything else. For example, cul-de-sacs are a really bad design for pedestrian traffic and make areas more car-dependent. I don't recall seeing a single cul-de-sac every time I've been to Japan. It's a waste of space, and space is premium there. I pass by new local housing developments here in PA, and they are frequently made in cul-de-sacs. Sure, they're good for leisurely walks, but no one who lives there is gonna be walking to the grocery store five miles away. In Japan, the suburbs are still very walkable, often times more than American cities.

Pennsylvania is full of old train towns that are very centralized and walkable. You can see the effect of the car and suburban sprawl when you compare new suburbs with the old train towns.

Well, suburban sprawl is explicitly a consequence of rapid migration.  It indicates a large influx of people without any real connection to each other or the community as a whole in the sense that it maximizes the amount of land apportioning at the cost of creating a cohesive infrastructure.   I would actually suggest that cul-de-sacs are the opposite of waste since they usually end up in creating an additional plot on the street, and, given a typical  subdivision, that could result in 4-5 additional sellable properties for the developer.  But, the greater point is that urban sprawl is a reaction to special demographic conditions and could be best described as temporary solution rather than a permanent one.

• Like 1