UnevenEdge

what could toonami be like In January?

CountFrylock

I've seen some speculate it'll just be a bunch of reruns because Demarco simply said "wait until the new year for new ongoing content" and didn't specify a month

although i think it's a bit too early to say Toonami's gonna be a shorter block filled with reruns for much of next year

there's also speculation on if 1/1 and 1/8 will both be marathon nights just 1/1 or neither

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Take a cue from France’s Toonami, and air All Elite Wrestling till they can get some other shows.

If you ask me, AEW SHOULD have a show on [as]. It isn't like anything [as] is showing is getting the ratings these days, and AEW, which DOES get the ratings, has a whole bunch of shows that are only airing on YouTube.

But as for the thread's main topic, here's my stab:

1/1 (or 1/8)

12 AM Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 8
12:30 Yashahime The Second Act Episode 1
1 AM Food Wars The Fifth Plate Episode 1
1:30 Assassination Classrom (Season 2) Episode 23
2 AM Naruto Shippuden 
2:30 Fena: Pirate Princess
3 AM My Hero Academia Season 5
3:30 Dragon Ball Super

[suck on that]

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Hopefully it's one where the user Doomchad on the Toonami Reddit shuts the fuck up.

That's never gonna happen. Their sole purpose on that board is to rain on any potential parade. But if they some how managed to start the year with six shows in premieres then they might actually compliment Toonami for once before going back to their usual routine of doom posting.

My current expectations (which I think are pretty reasonable) are that they will start two shows by January 8th. I have almost zero hope they will run a regular lineup on January 1st unless they double up multiple shows or start a 4th rerun that night (and that means replacing Dr. Stone with another rerun as well). I don't think they'll exceed 3 reruns but they might temporarily have 4 while they wait for Attack on Titan.

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

That's never gonna happen. Their sole purpose on that board is to rain on any potential parade. But if they some how managed to start the year with six shows in premieres then they might actually compliment Toonami for once before going back to their usual routine of doom posting.

Well I blocked their pessimistic ass, so I'm just gonna pretend that it did happen.

11 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If you ask me, AEW SHOULD have a show on [as]. It isn't like anything [as] is showing is getting the ratings these days, and AEW, which DOES get the ratings, has a whole bunch of shows that are only airing on YouTube.

But as for the thread's main topic, here's my stab:

1/1 (or 1/8)

12 AM Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 8
12:30 Yashahime The Second Act Episode 1
1 AM Food Wars The Fifth Plate Episode 1
1:30 Assassination Classrom (Season 2) Episode 23
2 AM Naruto Shippuden 
2:30 Fena: Pirate Princess
3 AM My Hero Academia Season 5
3:30 Dragon Ball Super

[suck on that]

You also have different flavors of AEW depending how desperate Toonami is to fill time?  1 hour?  Dark or a Rampage rerun.  2 hours because the budget is that damn tiny?  Just make 2-4 or 3-5 AEW Dynamite on encore.

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Did I mention "Toonami?" This would be pre-Toonami [as], a 1-hour digest of highlights from AEW Elevation/Dark matches, with topicals from upcoming Toonami shows sprinkled in.

AEW airing before Toonami? Now that might be a winner.

• Thanks 1

DeMarco has repeatedly said live-action shows were off the table.

So that probably means no wrestling and no DC live action shows (even if the only ones worth a damn are Doom Patrol and Peacemaker).

I’d take that over Fena reruns at least.

I’m down for Bebop. It hasn’t aired regularly since 2018 at this point. Just that marathon last year.

So moving on to 1/8/22, Bebop will either replace Dr. Stone (unless season 2 is getting another full run) or one of the 3 premiere slots. The later would be quite disappointing.

And we’re looking at 2-3 other show additions. 1/8/22 could be a big night for Toonami but I shudder at the thought that they will need to stall for yet another week.

At this point I’m begging them to announce the upcoming premieres before Christmas.

Hopefully they get to roll right into Yashahime: Second Act, and at this point, I'd say they pretty much have to, and even THEN we could be looking at a schedule that is half-reruns.

The real tragedy of Harley Quinn not having its 13th episode, Season 1's finale, follow Yashahime's on 1/1/22 is it seems it won't become a regular part of the weekly lineup, and at a time when Toonami could use a hand-me-down from HBO Max, even if it would need to be heavily edited.

Speaking of potential hand-me-downs from HBO Max, gen:Lock Season 2 is also a possibility even if it's a total trainwreck, and it turns out IT would have to be heavily edited. Either it or HQ airing at 1 AM (10 PM PST) would probably be OK and a decent stopgap if they're being "frozen out" of new anime acquisitions.

Of course end the premieres after the new 1 AM show with Shippuden at 1:30, then Cowboy Bebop at 2, Fena at 2:30, Dr. Stone at 3, and Dragon Ball Super at 3:30.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 3:56 AM, Sketch said:

I’m down for Bebop. It hasn’t aired regularly since 2018 at this point. Just that marathon last year.

So moving on to 1/8/22, Bebop will either replace Dr. Stone (unless season 2 is getting another full run) or one of the 3 premiere slots. The later would be quite disappointing.

And we’re looking at 2-3 other show additions. 1/8/22 could be a big night for Toonami but I shudder at the thought that they will need to stall for yet another week.

At this point I’m begging them to announce the upcoming premieres before Christmas.

unfortunately it's christmas and still no word on the upcoming new premiere shows....

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

looking like that will be the case....

“TOMORROW!!!”

74B91A9F-538A-4A50-89D5-0DE6FA10075A.jpeg.42dd588ff4ac039ef1d507e9e97dc39b.jpeg

But if they really have nothing, I wonder what they will pull out of their asses next? A mini marathon of Shippuden premieres to make up for all the weeks it was preempted? DC Movies or other things they begged WarnerMedia for? An Attack on Titan marathon?  A DBS marathon? A second Fena marathon? Another Bebop marathon? ANOTHER attempt to shove Black Lotus down our throats? I’m really curious what they’ll consider doing to stall even longer.

Edited by Sketch

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

“TOMORROW!!!”

74B91A9F-538A-4A50-89D5-0DE6FA10075A.jpeg.42dd588ff4ac039ef1d507e9e97dc39b.jpeg

But if they really have nothing, I wonder what they will pull out of their asses next? A mini marathon of Shippuden premieres to make up for all the weeks it was preempted? DC Movies or other things they begged WarnerMedia for? An Attack on Titan marathon?  A DBS marathon? A second Fena marathon? Another Bebop marathon? ANOTHER attempt to shove Black Lotus down our throats? I’m really curious what they’ll consider doing to stall even longer.

still nothing...I'm convinced we're getting another marathon on 1/8

We're probably not going to know what next week's schedule is by the end of tonight's Toonami, but either way, I'm hoping we get some sort of on-air announcement. If they have a new show, just tell us what it is with a promo. They haven't done that in years.

The last show announcement during Toonami I'm aware of was Samurai Champloo, way back in December 2014 2015 (as opposed to the way, way back of 2012). However, they also announced Attack on Titan S2 in the first commercial break of the Rick and Morty April Fools' stunt. Either way, it's great to see.

Edited by Blatch
LOL. I feel ya, Top Gun.

so we know AC S2 will be airing this saturday but aside from that...complete mystery

the easy guess would be(I'm using my time zone for this which is central)

11:00 blade runner black lotus

11:30 AC S2

12:00 AC S2

12:30 Naruto Shippuden

1:00 Cowboy Bebop

1:30 Fena Pirate Princess

2:00 Dragon Ball Super

if we don't hear anything soon then a double up premiere for the second season of assassination classroom seems likely

i don't see them adding another rerun to the block upfront and Naruto isn't gonna be doubled up because they want show to last as long as possible on toonami

demarco did say hopefully the schedule would normalize somewhat shortly after 1/8 so I'd like to think they could only get AC S2 right now and need to double up on that to buy time for the other show

that could possibly premiere 1/15

Twitter is claiming Bebop will be part of the schedule but the timeslot is not set.  Fine by me,  I’d rather they kept kicking Netflix in the teeth now before people forget that abomination with the same name.  (That and stuff like LA Yu Yu Hakusho and LA One Piece won’t be out till 2023 earliest).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Or maybe they actually stealth-premiere something at 1 AM while only announcing it for the first time at the end of Ass Class. Wouldn't that be NUTS!?

As time goes on with no lineup announced, I'm starting to expect something like that!

That's a neat idea, but I think the lack of an announcement has to do with the fact that they can't get this new show, assuming there is another one coming. Even if they manage to ink the contract literally hours before this week's block starts, I imagine they'll put out a flash announcement, or maybe have TOM and SARA announce the new show at the top.

I'm just beyond belief at how close they're cutting this. If nothing else, they should at least schedule Blade Runner and AssClass and have the rest of the night be taken up by a "To Be Announced" block.