UnevenEdge

G4 is coming back, along with X-Play & Attack of the Show

NaBabby

Adam Sessler hosting X-Play

Kevin Pereira hosting AOTS

Me, still not into video games but down af to dive into this nostalgia pool.

Anyone else watch these shows back in the day?

AOTS (and its lead-in X-Play) was my go-to after school routine for awhile there back in high school. I didn't even care about most the stuff they talked about, just liked the hosts and their banter, basically a daytime talkshow/podcast. Still remember one episode with viewer call-ins for like an AMA or something that Kevin was doing and the caller introduces himself by saying "I'm a forum troll,"

What I remember most about G4 is them acquiring TechTV, then getting rid of every show except X-Play and AotS and firing everyone that worked on those shows with little to no warning.

Then run into the ground where those 2 shows were all they had and the rest was just Cops and Cheaters. It also struck me as a boys club, to the point that I'm surprised I never heard of female employees coming forward with sexual harassment allegations.

But despite my misgivings, I don't imagine any of the people responsible for that are involved and that it does well, and they don't fall into the same pits that the company did previously.

12 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

I saw an announcement a few weeks back.  They've hired a lot of YouTubers to host shows too, like the Completionist and Lucahjin.  Gives me a nice warm nostalgia buzz to see G4 content focused on video games again.

It really is a nice stimulating feeling, along with being a pleasant word to say, nostalgia....

I was just randomly trying to remember the name of the guy who hosted xplay at 1AM and after finally digging up "sessler" had to go to his wiki to see what he's been up to. 

Recruiting video game players with existing audiences makes sense, I wonder if we'll be getting Let's Plays on cable tv lol. 

4 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

Besides nostalgia junkies, I don't see how this will take off.  Not getting cable to watch it....Do streaming services have G4.  

Also, without Laura Swisher, can't say I actually gaf.

It'll probably be on Sling I assume, they stay loaded with terrible channels and are always adding new ones as they crop up.

From their twitter it sounds like they're still doing "prelaunch" stuff right now but when it's up I do kinda want to go to a bar or somewhere and ask them to put on G4 and just sit there for a couple hours feeling 2007 time travel vibes

11 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I assumed it would stay online. Seems like it would be a bad move to spend the money on a dying platform.

Before the channel tanked, they had Adam doing X-play alone and it sucked.....Without Morgan Webb, or at least some other co-host, it won't really be that good because he was an aged, annoying netd in the early 00s....I'm sure he hasn't bolstered that personality much over the years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

Before the channel tanked, they had Adam doing X-play alone and it sucked.....Without Morgan Webb, or at least some other co-host, it won't really be that good because he was an aged, annoying netd in the early 00s....I'm sure he hasn't bolstered that personality much over the years.

I don't remember watching it when it was just him. I imagine I would have preferred it with the 2 of them, but I always liked Adam, so I don't think I would dislike it as much as you did.

5 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I don't remember watching it when it was just him. I imagine I would have preferred it with the 2 of them, but I always liked Adam, so I don't think I would dislike it as much as you did.

I didn't dislike him, but when it first started, he was solo (the show was actually called extended play then) he was solo, but after he had Morgan as a co-host and they reverted back to just him, it just didn't feel right.  His personality couldn't hold the show anymore after you had the duo do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Haven't they been back, or are they actually getting back on TV? They've been doing YT stuff for like a year now.

It seems kinda murky but they're acting like it's imminent from what I can tell, unless kids these days are using terms like "on air" and "tv" to describe being hired to do a twitch show or something.

https://g4tv.com/

Like for real. It's really coming back. There's a website with a fancy purple shape design with stars in it and everything. You might be asking, "Why relaunch a TV network about video games now? We already have Twitch and YouTube!" Great question, we'll think about it. In the meantime, here's what we CAN tell you...

• G4 is a digital first network going live in 2021.
  • Will it be on TV? Comcast pays the bills, so take a guess!
  • The network will feature gaming and pop culture shows plus epic live special programming. And an alpaca every now and then.
  • It will look awesome, but also kind of low budget at the same time.
  • We're doubling down on reruns of COPS and Cheaters.

Okay, that last one was a joke. The rest is true.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/g4-talks-summer-relaunch-attack-of-the-show-x-play

G4 dropped a little buzz bomb in the midst of last year’s San Diego Comic-Con, with a cryptic tease hinting that the groundbreaking network, which for legions of fans elevated gaming and geekdom to a higher plane of of pop culture status, would be returning to television after airing its last broadcast late in 2014.

Now the newly-resurrected network is closing in on an actual launch date for later this year, and some of the key creatives who’re making it happen are beginning to talk about what to expect. If you’re a fan of old-school G4 mainstays like the gaming-focused X-Play or the live news/variety daily Attack of the Show!, there’s reason to celebrate: G4 has confirmed that both those series will be coming back under the network’s new programming lineup, and — just as before — they’ll serve up tech and gaming news with a generous side of funny.

Thought this was more credible a second ago but just realized syfy.com isn't SyFy the cable channel, which I'm pretty sure still exists? But o well it has some quotes from a old G4 tv host guy so

Wait... it IS SyFy...the home page of the site just really looks like that.

Edited by NaBabby

4 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

I didn't dislike him, but when it first started, he was solo (the show was actually called extended play then) he was solo, but after he had Morgan as a co-host and they reverted back to just him, it just didn't feel right.  His personality couldn't hold the show anymore after you had the duo do it.

I guess higher-ups agreed with you, because he had a co-host when it was GameSpotTV, too. He must not have been bringing in viewers alone as he did with a female counterpart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenguinBoss said:

What I remember most about G4 is them acquiring TechTV, then getting rid of every show except X-Play and AotS and firing everyone that worked on those shows with little to no warning.

Then run into the ground where those 2 shows were all they had and the rest was just Cops and Cheaters.

They also had Fastlane...

The only thing I watched on techtv was the occasional late night anime like Gungrave and Last Exile. And catching a lot of two second glimpses of Screen Savers while channel surfing, seems like that show was on all the time.

1 minute ago, NaBabby said:

They also had Fastlane...

The only thing I watched on techtv was the occasional late night anime like Gungrave and Last Exile. And catching a lot of two second glimpses of Screen Savers while channel surfing, seems like that show was on all the time.

Yeah, that was AotS before the demographic shift. I never really watched it since it was all above my head, but it was a flagship show and aired live every weekday, so I'm not surprised it was on a lot.

Speaking of over my head, I think Lain was on there, as well. It was especially confusing when I only caught a random episode.

I used to catch it back when it was Extended Play and he had Kate Botello as a cohost. It used to be one of my favorite shows back in middle school along with Anime Unleashed. I’d also watch lot of their shows as chill background noise like Eye Drops, Screen Savers, and Call for Help. 

The G4 years were rough, but X-Play at least had a good few years until it ended up getting bombarded by Campus PD and Cheaters reruns. 

4 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i did watch g4 tv way back in the day when they used to show mech warrior and unreal tournament games. 

also remember watching tommy tallarico and victor lucas review games. 

I always liked seeing the show where they had people playing UT2004. That game was my shit when it was new and it still is now.

Used to watch that channel for Ninja Warrior, AOTS, and the competitive gaming segments on tournaments and such. Halo 2 gaming tournaments were broadcast on USA but G4 had some Halo tourney stuff, as well. Overall, though, I thought the channel was ballsy to even dare to exist but it truly had very little of interest to offer. As much as I enjoyed Ninja Warrior, I prefer to watch the original Japanese broadcasts (called SASUKE), in their entirety. Hate American Ninja Warrior cause it misses the point of the original, but that's neither here nor there. 

G4 was a cool idea but there just wasn't enough to tear me away for longer than a few minutes at a time. Wish them success with this but unless they do a Pluto TV type thing, I don't see what the point of this is, for a new TV channel, versus their YouTube channel a doing livestreams.