UnevenEdge

Live Action One Piece, from sheer confusion to Season 2 renewal.

Jman

2 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It doesn't work.

They tried, I can tell they tried, it's just a property that doesn't work in live action.

Bebop could have thought. I'm not sure why all these Netflix productions are insistent on these hyper-sharpened h.264 output cameras for these kinds of things. Use something with more grain like an ARRI (or better yet... film 宇ス位).

Netflix isn’t a studio, it’s a company buying from studios.  The thing is, Tomorrow Studios are the same people who did Bebop.  This is why Alice in Bordeland and the Kenshin films were so well liked, and why I have more hope for Yu Yu Hakusho, but it seems they learned something in terms of costuming and tone.  Bebop was cringe from bell to bell. This isn’t changed but not straight up cringe.

Y'know I was all on board to ride the "not gonna watch it but don't really care what happens with it" train and then I realized something. Any season they manage to pull off successfully means it gets closer to the horrifying prospect of Live Action Foxy haunting my nightmares and now I hope it fails.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I could have swore Baratie happens after Arlong 

No, it’s the initial recruitment, Barate, Arlong, and Lougetown which make up the entirety of the East Blue arc.

Also each episode is an hour long.

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I could have swore Baratie happens after Arlong 

Well that wouldn’t make sense… Nami peaces out and steals the Merry to return to Kokoyashi Village during Baratie which leads to the guys going after her and taking down Arlong.

35 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Well that wouldn’t make sense… Nami peaces out and steals the Merry to return to Kokoyashi Village during Baratie which leads to the guys going after her and taking down Arlong.

I need the refresher course or something, I have no idea why I thought it went down that way

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Solid trailer. Feels very much like a trailer intended to please existing fans by including several major characters and events. For newcomers it’s downright spoilery to show Arlong Park stuff but at least they don’t blatantly spell out that storyline beyond “you messed with Luffy’s friend, so you gonna get whooped”

Overall I found it charming. They did a great job with the news bird.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what you guys said earlier that it looks cheap.  Or at least fake.  This looks more like a fan film than something made by a multi-billion dollar company that spared no expense, as John Hammond would say.

Luffy doesn't sound like Luffy.  And Sanji has an English accent for some reason?  Gold Roger is way too small.  I guess it could be a lot worse.  I'll probably still check it out.  It might be better than it looks.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:02 AM, Jman said:

One positive about this show airing when all the writers are striking.

We have been spared an SNL skit about One Piece.

There was a non-zero chance of that happening but I mean... nah they were not going to do that.

But they WOULD have done a Barbenheimer skit and we should all be thankful they couldn't.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

There was a non-zero chance of that happening but I mean... nah they were not going to do that.

But they WOULD have done a Barbenheimer skit and we should all be thankful they couldn't.

SNL did do a rather terrible Squid Game skit.  They wouldn’t have done one if it was animated.  Then again does the world need a TV Funhouse skit where the Senate fights Pickle the Caveman and the Baki narrator does a tangent about why Joe Mainchin’s punch powered by fossil fuel special interests can hurt him?  I don’t think it does. 

That being said, yes I am quite thankful we were spared a Barbenheimer skit during the week Cillian Murphy would likely have hosted.

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s official - 

Of all the anime to get a big budget adaptation and be GOOD, One Piece is the last one I would have chosen.  I thought this was a joke when it was first announced.  Now we have the Hollywood Reporter and USA Today declaring it the next Stranger Things.

This also for better or for worse makes me wonder if the anime will keep airing on Toonami.

Edited by Jman

I'm so happy for them. It's clear that from the beginning this was very much a labor of love, and that handing a project with this kind of potential to people who already loved the IP was 100% the way to go. They went out of their way to make cursed snail muppet props, for god's sake! And after Watanabe mentioned having basically noting to do with Netboy Flixbop vs how much Oda's been involved here, hopefully they've also learned a valuable lesson about keeping the OG creator in the loop. I'll be the first one to admit I had a lot of doubt about the show and I haven't watched it yet, but seeing such an overwhelmingly positive reception makes me genuinely pleased to eat my words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

It’s official - 

Of all the anime to get a big budget adaptation and be GOOD, One Piece is the last one I would have chosen.  I thought this was a joke when it was first announced.  Now we have the Hollywood Reporter and USA Today declaring it the next Stranger Things.

This also for better or for worse makes me wonder if the anime will keep airing on Toonami.

It will depend on the viewership for season 1   

I wonder how much these reviews can be attributed to Oda being involved. Not to discredit the work they have done and the fact that they actually invested money into this, but I do feel like there is some level of bias from people who “like” it just because Oda asked them to do so.

Original creators should ALWAYS be involved, but I’d love to see a compilation of reviews from people who don’t care much about One Piece as they would be the least likely to be biased towards Oda.

47 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I wonder how much these reviews can be attributed to Oda being involved. Not to discredit the work they have done and the fact that they actually invested money into this, but I do feel like there is some level of bias from people who “like” it just because Oda asked them to do so.

Original creators should ALWAYS be involved, but I’d love to see a compilation of reviews from people who don’t care much about One Piece as they would be the least likely to be biased towards Oda.

I don’t think reviewers from The New Yorker or USA Today are that focused on manga accuracy.

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

First episode was an improvement over the source material in nearly every way.

😐

Well the pacing is certainly more brisk, and in the translation from cartoon to live action, there’s a lot of subtle adjustments to personalities.  I dare say someone who might have found toon Luffy a bit too much would appreciate the tweaks.

9 hours ago, Jman said:

Well the pacing is certainly more brisk, and in the translation from cartoon to live action, there’s a lot of subtle adjustments to personalities.  I dare say someone who might have found toon Luffy a bit too much would appreciate the tweaks.

I’m inclined to agree. Luffy is more nuanced and not let’s be honest… ADHD with more than a little Aspergers. Overall he’s better for it but he’s a tad too observant and conscientious for my liking.

They made Buggy way more sadistic and leaned way into the circus aspect.

I finished ep 4 now and Usopp is a delight. Zoro’s snide remarks keep cracking me up.

They changed the settings of many encounters arguably for the better.

Garp and Koby are a lot more involved with the story so far rather than off in some other corner of the ocean doing nothing significant.

I would not be surprised if Oda took this as an opportunity to tweak things with the betterment of hindsight.

Edited by Sketch