UnevenEdge

Applying for jobs in a mid-COVID crisis is fucking shitty

-Ninja_Jesus-

1 minute ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

Congrats to you man, I've been maintaining unemployment for this long because it's paid me more than my previous job, but I can't do that anymore. Hoping something bites.

I had an interview for a job early during [GESTURES WILDLY] that went from twice as much as I was making in unemployment to half as much because they raised unemployment to $600.

Bruh I've been trying off and on throughout this whole thing (and before it) and it fucking sucks. I've still been working full time and have an essential job that I can partially do remotely so I'm luckier than most but I fucking hate my job. I've found that I really like working remotely (before all this my job was like 95% in person), and am also still worried about, ya know, the pandemic. So I've been focusing a lot on trying to find something remote but like 75% of the "Remote" listings on Indeed are either not remote at all, require you to live in one specific state or city, or are only remote during Covid.

I've applied to almost 50 jobs since last month and have only had any kind of follow up with 7 of them; 3 were just auto-rejects, the other 3 I didn't actually interview with but had a phone screen and turned down for various reasons. My greatest hope right now is an internal position I interview for a few weeks ago that I am woefully under-qualified for and feel like I totally flubbed the interview. They supposedly are going to follow up with me either way so the anxiety of waiting for that is killing me right now. Deadline for internal applicants was the 30th of October so hopefully they get back to me by the end of this week. Every time I get an e-mail I'm sure it's gonna be them letting me know that they went with someone more qualified.

Yeah I had a lot of better opportunities cancel filling the position such as one hospital job.. and had to result to temp agencies for extra work at one point, but I've managed to be employed, and even on unemployment still for part of the pandemic since the national guard can be a full time position for a bit and then not even qualify as part time if nothing's going on and there isn't any drills.. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

1 hour ago, Vamped said:

Guarantee UPS, FedEx, and Amazon is hiring everywhere. They have even increased their starting pay. 

All three of those places are trying to kill the postal system, but since I can’t really purchase things right now I’m like “stab stab bitch” amirite?

Let’s hope they answer.

11 minutes ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

All three of those places are trying to kill the postal system, but since I can’t really purchase things right now I’m like “stab stab bitch” amirite?

Let’s hope they answer.

I mean .... USPS still has the price advantage and you dont see mail carriers delivering whole couches and TVs by themselves 

Fuckin Wayfair

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

Let’s hope they answer.

USPS has jobs too.  Mostly rural delivery routes in my area, but some in town.

I've even applied with my city (I'm hoping to get it), there are county jobs, state jobs & Fed jobs.

• Like 1

I understand that. I've been looking for a while now but there is just nothing. I've been hoping for something internally but they have frozen hiring at all positions and externally isn't much better.  Everything is just locked right now unless you are medical or in a grocery store or something.

I enjoyed that 600 extra unemployment for the two weeks I got it but now I'm back to making crap. It sucks out there right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have a job at all but it still sucks out there if you are looking which you, myself and many others are.

Edited by DBZ4ever
  • Like 2

I got laid off back in May. My state is doing terrible right now since we rely on tourism. Still on the reduced unemployment atm but I managed to get a job at a deli. Remains to be seen what my hours will be. I'll be making half of what I was before covid at this new place. Just plain fucking sucks. 

Found out yesterday that one of the places I applied to online changed the company that they were using for their application process, but didn't bother to tell anyone.  I couldn't log in to check on my status & had to email them with "forgot my username", which I hadn't (it was my cell number, per their instructions) - but suddenly there was no login place.  They emailed back with a different username and new company's website to log into.

Today, I finally heard back from the city I live in.  They were apologizing for the delay in responding, but stated they had so many applications that they didn't expect to be done going through them until Dec. 2nd.  The submission cutoff was back on Nov. 6th.

If anyone feels ghosted, it might just be the number of applications received causing a delay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This keeps appearing on one of the job sites when I plug in "Allocation" (aka distributing stuff to various places) -

image.png.1f96ad858f837ee1d92f6b0ed5e5dd2f.png

At first, I thought that it had to be an acronym for something other than the one that immediately jumps to mind...but nope.

So apparently this is the hardcore version of Allocation.

1 minute ago, tsar4 said:

This keeps appearing on one of the job sites when I plug in "Allocation" (aka distributing stuff to various places) -

image.png.1f96ad858f837ee1d92f6b0ed5e5dd2f.png

At first, I thought that it had to be an acronym for something other than the one that immediately jumps to mind...but nope.

So apparently this is the hardcore version of Allocation.

That seems like a shitty salary for doing missles.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:19 PM, GunStarHero said:

I got laid off back in May. My state is doing terrible right now since we rely on tourism. Still on the reduced unemployment atm but I managed to get a job at a deli. Remains to be seen what my hours will be. I'll be making half of what I was before covid at this new place. Just plain fucking sucks. 

Sounds like Hawaii right now. Tourism is such a fragile economy booster.