Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Jman

Hollywood rumored to by eyeing live action Black Clover

Recommended Posts

🤣 I'm sorry, this is just too hilariously out of left field for me to be mad (or desperate for a meteor to impact the earth) at.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, Jman said:

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/black-clover-live-action-project-rumor-report/?__twitter_impression=true
 

It’s official.  Hollywood burned through all the good comics and are moving onto manga.

.............actually this might work out okay since the Series itself is already extremely tongue in cheek and parodying shonen manga

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mochi said:

.............actually this might work out okay since the Series itself is already extremely tongue in cheek and parodying shonen manga

You guys keep claiming it's a parody. It's not. It parrots other anime. It doesn't parody them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daos said:

You guys keep claiming it's a parody. It's not. It parrots other anime. It doesn't parody them.

the way it parrots them and the way it behaves as a series makes it very obvious it's a Parody in a similar form to Disney's "Star Vs. the Forces of evil", which was it's own entity to some extent but was also a blatant affectionate parody of Sailor Moon

Why is star vs the forces of evil so great? | Cartoon Amino

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fuck's sake, it's a ripoff not a parody. If I give Mickey Mouse blue shorts and call him Ricky Rat, that doesn't make it a parody.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mochi said:

the way it parrots them and the way it behaves as a series makes it very obvious it's a Parody in a similar form to Disney's "Star Vs. the Forces of evil", which was it's own entity to some extent but was also a blatant affectionate parody of Sailor Moon

Why is star vs the forces of evil so great? | Cartoon Amino

Parody usually comments or makes fun of the material in question.  Even if Star wasn’t as mean spirited as the first draft (where she was just an insane high school girl who thought she was a magical girl) there were a lot of tropes played for laughs, a lot of ideas poked at, etc.

What is Black Clover poking at?  What is it doing with its concepts?  I mean, even Soul Eater had a more blatant parody with Black Star, a ninja that sucked at being a ninja and had wizard powers, like the protagonist of a Toonami show that may also get a live action adaptation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a parody would imply that Black Clover's author has any semblance of writing skills. He doesn't. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jman said:

Parody usually comments or makes fun of the material in question.  Even if Star wasn’t as mean spirited as the first draft (where she was just an insane high school girl who thought she was a magical girl) there were a lot of tropes played for laughs, a lot of ideas poked at, etc.

What is Black Clover poking at?  What is it doing with its concepts?  I mean, even Soul Eater had a more blatant parody with Black Star, a ninja that sucked at being a ninja and had wizard powers, like the protagonist of a Toonami show that may also get a live action adaptation.

Most of the characters themselves are parodies.  The clip I just posted of Noelle should prove that.  She takes the cake for tsunderes.  I've never seen one so over the top.  She has arguments with herself in her own head.

Yami takes it even further and will make fun of other characters and just about everything in the whole show.

I'll repost that here too.

The way Yami is at times almost takes it to a whole other, almost fourth wall level.  How often do characters that are supposed to be "cool" get made fun of?  Sometimes they would be the "straight man," but usually the humor comes at the expense of others and not themselves, or their interactions with others.  Yami made fun of Nozel's hair.  I can't think of a case where anybody made fun of Byakuya's hair.  Then there was the episode where he straight up asked William Vangeance if he uses Light Magic.  This guy was suspected of being Licht, the main villain, in disguise.  I can't think of another case of this happening in any show.  And this was all in the midst of Yami making fun of the other captains, made fun of Nozel's hair that time too, and made fun of the Orca guy's laugh.  The whole scene was hilarious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

For fuck's sake, it's a ripoff not a parody. If I give Mickey Mouse blue shorts and call him Ricky Rat, that doesn't make it a parody.

Man, you just don't get it.  It's unfortunate you are unable to see and appreciate that Black Clover is a brilliant parody of the shonen genre! :P

Well, I didn't care that Hunter x Hunter was a "brilliant subversion of the shonen genre," because it was a boring, directionless show where nothing happened, with unlikable characters! =3

Edited by ben0119
  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Being a parody would imply that Black Clover's author has any semblance of writing skills. He doesn't. 

And you said Gundam Unicorn is "fantastic" and that Audrey was a great character, called the okamas from One Piece "downright progressive." 

latest?cb=20160425202631

latest?cb=20100416172613

So yeah you are the regular Anime Roger Ebert here.

  • Haha 2
  • D'oh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gundam Unicorn was widely critically acclaimed by those who had the slightest clue about the franchise as a whole, and I don't know what the fuck you're on about because I don't think I've ever said shit about those characters. But by all means do keep completely ignoring threads for a week at a time only to dump several overwrought posts in a row. It makes for such compelling reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ben0119 said:

called the okamas from One Piece "downright progressive." 

The okama were considered fairly decent representation for their time, which was 10-20 years ago when most of them were introduced. Some of them look pretty bad by today's standard, because trans and queer representation has taken huge strides over the past decades and that includes within Japan. Oda has actually learned from this, and doesn't rely on cheap "lol homo" jokes with them anymore. The worst gag we've seen with an okama in the past 10 years was a badass army commander joking with his comrades not to look up his short skirt.

Spoilers for a show you don't watch, but recently in the manga we've had some very positive characters who are all but confirmed to be trans:

Spoiler

 

Kiku is a transwoman. She's introduced as a beautiful, strong fighter and we don't learn for dozens of chapters that she's transgender. When a character learns about her past and is surprised, she corrects them that she's a woman and it's never used as a joke or insult. The only time she's referred to as a boy is during a childhood flashback, presumably before she identified as a girl.

Within the last few chapters we've gotten Yamato. Visually he's clearly female, but introduces himself as a man and exclusively uses male pronouns. Even his father, an outright villain, refers to him as his son and everyone he's interacted with calls him a man. There's some debate among fans whether this character is actually trans or just a huge fan of another character and doing a weird, in-depth cosplay of their male idol, but translators have confirmed that in Japanese, he refers to himself with only masculine words even out of the fan persona, which indicates he really does identify as a man.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Most of the characters themselves are parodies.  The clip I just posted of Noelle should prove that.  She takes the cake for tsunderes.  I've never seen one so over the top.  She has arguments with herself in her own head.

Yami takes it even further and will make fun of other characters and just about everything in the whole show.

I'll repost that here too.

The way Yami is at times almost takes it to a whole other, almost fourth wall level.  How often do characters that are supposed to be "cool" get made fun of?  Sometimes they would be the "straight man," but usually the humor comes at the expense of others and not themselves, or their interactions with others.  Yami made fun of Nozel's hair.  I can't think of a case where anybody made fun of Byakuya's hair.  Then there was the episode where he straight up asked William Vangeance if he uses Light Magic.  This guy was suspected of being Licht, the main villain, in disguise.  I can't think of another case of this happening in any show.  And this was all in the midst of Yami making fun of the other captains, made fun of Nozel's hair that time too, and made fun of the Orca guy's laugh.  The whole scene was hilarious!

Ben this just seems like another case of you not knowing what words mean. It's similar to the "Kirito isn't a Mary Sue he's just really competent" thread.

Having an over the top Tsundere isn't parody. Having comedy doesn't make it parody. Being self aware of the tropes you're using isn't parody.

This is what Parody looks like. Here's a serious movie.

Here's a parody scene of the serious movie.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Then there was the episode where he straight up asked William Vangeance if he uses Light Magic.  This guy was suspected of being Licht, the main villain, in disguise.  I can't think of another case of this happening in any show.

could just be horrible writing 🤷‍♂️

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 11:34 PM, ben0119 said:

Most of the characters themselves are parodies.  The clip I just posted of Noelle should prove that.  She takes the cake for tsunderes.  I've never seen one so over the top.  She has arguments with herself in her own head.

 

the fact that she calls him "Bakasta" sounds like a purposefull parody of another anime Tsundere who is incapable of calling the boy she likes by his name without first adding Baka to it, and is often parodied because of a love hate that fans of the series she's from have for her
 neon genesis evangelion evangelion nge Asuka Langley Soryu nge gif you can  not redo larvitarr •

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mochi said:

the fact that she calls him "Bakasta" sounds like a purposefull parody of another anime Tsundere who is incapable of calling the boy she likes by his name without first adding Baka to it, and is often parodied because of a love hate that fans of the series she's from have for her
 neon genesis evangelion evangelion nge Asuka Langley Soryu nge gif you can  not redo larvitarr •

I hate when stock characters become so overused, they become almost identical.

048a7105660cca3f89473b853d75cb21.jpg

This is Minami. Not only is she basically the same role as Asuka, just in another show, but she's also from Germany!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, korosu said:

could just be horrible writing 🤷‍♂️

Is he trying to use that as an example of parody? What is that parodying? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daos said:

Is he trying to use that as an example of parody? What is that parodying? 

it's something from black clover that he's never seen in an anime before!

you figure it out 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, korosu said:

it's something from black clover that he's never seen in an anime before!

you figure it out 😉

I bet the correct answer is... nothing. It's parodying nothing. Because it's not an example of parody. Did I guess it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daos said:

I bet the correct answer is... nothing. It's parodying nothing. Because it's not an example of parody. Did I guess it?

black clover is only a parody if parody means every character is insufferable and tropes are overused to death without any particular purpose or commentary. i would wager those are simply the results of the author's inability to write. i don't see how anyone can figure the show is "parodying" anything. unless you think the series was intentionally made to be the worst piece of fiction ever created. but then, parodies aren't supposed to be bad, are they? stealing elements from every shonen that came before it, and making the worst possible thing you can out of them? it's a head-scratcher for sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live action Black Clover has at least this going for it 

250px-Harry_potter_ripoff_cover.jpg

It might be better than Larry Knotter 

18lt1cjz93obajpg.jpg

and this starring Roddy Piper

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, korosu said:

black clover is only a parody if parody means every character is insufferable and tropes are overused to death without any particular purpose or commentary. i would wager those are simply the results of the author's inability to write. i don't see how anyone can figure the show is "parodying" anything. unless you think the series was intentionally made to be the worst piece of fiction ever created. but then, parodies aren't supposed to be bad, are they? stealing elements from every shonen that came before it, and making the worst possible thing you can out of them? it's a head-scratcher for sure.

Copypasta and using Tropes doesn't qualify something as parody though. I mean Black Clover is in no way shape or form a parody. It's an actual serious attempt at a Shonen and is no more a Parody than One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. I'm not sure what they think Parody is but this ain't it.

There actually IS a long running Shonen Parody out there. It's called Gintama.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Daos said:

Copypasta and using Tropes doesn't qualify something as parody though.

precisely. parody ≠ insufferable characters with overused tropes and interpolated frames from other shonen. that's what black clover is.

Edited by korosu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Clover is what happens if you just run old Shonen Jump magazines through a shredder and make a series out of whatever pieces you tape together.

Oh wait, I get it now! It's a parody of recycling!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, Top Gun said:

Gundam Unicorn was widely critically acclaimed by those who had the slightest clue about the franchise as a whole, and I don't know what the fuck you're on about because I don't think I've ever said shit about those characters. But by all means do keep completely ignoring threads for a week at a time only to dump several overwrought posts in a row. It makes for such compelling reading. 

I have seen the past other horrible "classic" Gundam shows and I'm well acquainted with the universe.  The anime "tastemakers" can say what they want, Gundam Unicorn is still an insufferable series with insufferable characters.  In fact, almost every Gundam series, or mecha in general, the protagonist is a crybaby bitch?  Then other characters are assholes or unlikable in other ways.  Why do people like these crappy shows?  The only Gundam shows worth a damn are G Gundam and Iron Blooded Orphans.  Then IBO completely fell off a cliff in the second season.

Oh yes you did -

I could completely understand people having a problem with the random okama in the series, since despite being portrayed as good guys they do pile on that particular stereotype incredibly heavily, but for my money Ivankov is a downright progressive character.  They (I feel justified going with gender-neutrals here) don't really give a damn about gender in the least, switching between both at a whim, and gives an equal lack of shits about how anyone views them.  They're all about absolute personal freedom.

Yeah god forbid I have better things to do than argue with Yahoos every day.

That is a great movie, by the way.  Great version of Gulliver's Travels.  You should watch it some time, if you haven't seen it already.  Much better time spent then watching Gundam!

This guy has part 1 and part 2 on Youtube.  Not sure where else you can watch it.  Only one DVD left on Amazon for $500!?  Looks like you can get it on Roku, Sling, Amazon Prime, or iTunes.  Why can't we just we buy a DVD, blu-ray, or stream it, damn it?!  And why is it tied in with Hallmark?!  It should be on Peacock, damn it!  It originally came on NBC!

But maybe I should start coming back more often again. =3

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 4:34 PM, EmpressAngel said:

The okama were considered fairly decent representation for their time, which was 10-20 years ago when most of them were introduced. Some of them look pretty bad by today's standard, because trans and queer representation has taken huge strides over the past decades and that includes within Japan. Oda has actually learned from this, and doesn't rely on cheap "lol homo" jokes with them anymore. The worst gag we've seen with an okama in the past 10 years was a badass army commander joking with his comrades not to look up his short skirt.

Spoilers for a show you don't watch, but recently in the manga we've had some very positive characters who are all but confirmed to be trans:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Kiku is a transwoman. She's introduced as a beautiful, strong fighter and we don't learn for dozens of chapters that she's transgender. When a character learns about her past and is surprised, she corrects them that she's a woman and it's never used as a joke or insult. The only time she's referred to as a boy is during a childhood flashback, presumably before she identified as a girl.

Within the last few chapters we've gotten Yamato. Visually he's clearly female, but introduces himself as a man and exclusively uses male pronouns. Even his father, an outright villain, refers to him as his son and everyone he's interacted with calls him a man. There's some debate among fans whether this character is actually trans or just a huge fan of another character and doing a weird, in-depth cosplay of their male idol, but translators have confirmed that in Japanese, he refers to himself with only masculine words even out of the fan persona, which indicates he really does identify as a man.

 

 

Are you serious?  They were awful then.  If someone was ignorant and didn't know any better they would think these were decent representations.  And besides how awful they look and the way they act at times, they do some pretty fucked up and demented shit, like endlessly chasing and harassing Sanji to "convert" him, or Ivankov forcefully changing people's genders to punish them.

Won't click because I may get back to it at some point.  But I doubt Oda would drastically overhaul the character designs of some of these guys.  Although some characters really have morphed over the years, and time skips can excuse this further.  Of course he could just... not use them again, and instead use these new characters you mention.  Of course, Oda has a penchant for bringing back characters, even the ones nobody cared about.  "Hey, remember this guy!  He's back in a way you would never expect at the moment you least expect!!!"  Eh.  Oda would have to resist doing that.  Bon Clay didn't look too terrible.  And it was never outright stated that he was gay, until he came back hundreds of episodes later and Ivankov and the others were introduced.  Then they looked horrible and the other unfortunate aspects I mentioned were brought in to the story.  An unfortunate blemish on the series.

Edit - Ended up clicking anyway.  Curiosity got the best of me.  That doesn't sound bad.  But what I said about those earlier characters still stands.  Oda would have to stop using them or drastically overhaul them.

Edited by ben0119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 8:16 PM, Daos said:

Ben this just seems like another case of you not knowing what words mean. It's similar to the "Kirito isn't a Mary Sue he's just really competent" thread.

Having an over the top Tsundere isn't parody. Having comedy doesn't make it parody. Being self aware of the tropes you're using isn't parody.

This is what Parody looks like. Here's a serious movie.

Here's a parody scene of the serious movie.

 

Wow, you sure are giving Black Clover a lot of credit there even if you don't want to admit it's a parody.  But I'm not sure you should be part of this discussion since you dropped the series fairly early on?  Or did you even watch it at all?

I can give more examples, some stuff I think is pretty obvious and hard to deny.

Early on Asta is introduced as this loud, excitable, over the top guy.  People complained about how he acted.  Then he goes into the Black Bulls hideout for the first time and everyone else is yelling and horsing around and none of them hear him or notice he's there.  He has to REALLY yell to get their attention.  Asta finally met some people who were just as much or more loud and boisterous as he is.  I think the purpose and intent was pretty clear here.

In the most recent episode we had a scene like we have seen before.  Asta and Leopold were arguing about who would be the strongest.  They just kept saying one was going to get stronger than the other over and over, like children.  If that isn't meant to be a parody of shonen rivalries, I'm not sure what is.

  • D'oh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, korosu said:

could just be horrible writing 🤷‍♂️

It was fucking hilarious actually.  They thought Vangeance was Licht in disguise, and Licht uses light magic, so Yami just straight up asks Licht if he uses light magic out of nowhere in the midst of that meeting.  Yami just doesn't give a fuck.  No other show would do that.

  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, Daos said:

Is he trying to use that as an example of parody? What is that parodying? 

I was using it as an example of what goes on in the show, and what Yami does in the show.  He exemplifies the parody aspect almost more than anyone else because he is practically on a fourth wall level at times with the way he acts. 

Other shows' characters wouldn't blatantly ask someone they suspected of being a villain in disguise outright like that.  But Yami is no nonsense and doesn't give a fuck. 

Then Yami will mercilessly make fun of and mock other characters who are the epitome of their character types we would see in other shonen.  He is basically making fun of the character types and tropes himself.  You have all these characters set up as the ultimate representation of their character type.  Nozel is the ultimate serious "cool" character.  Yami makes fun of his hair and how he acts etc. 

Yami has also commented on various situations that have happened in the show, typical of shonens, pointed out how stupid the situation was or made fun of it etc.

It wasn't even Yami doing it, but in the last episode some of the Black Bulls characters were ripping on Fuegolion about how serious and by the books he is, the total opposite of Yami, they said.  And we see Fuegolion lecturing his men on the proper way to use a hot spring, almost like it is a surgical procedure.

Edited by ben0119

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I found where that captain's meeting I was talking about happens.  It's around the 15:50 mark of episode 38!  Classic!  Though I think there are other funny parts before that too.  Like when Asta loses an eating contest where no magic is allowed to Charmy, and says "but not using magic is my whole identity. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that you're attempting to defend a pile of shit like Black Clover while simultaneously not recognizing what made Mobile Suit Gundam an all-time classic pretty much discounts your opinions on everything.  Black. Clover. Is. Not. A. Parody.  It's a low-tier paint-by-numbers shounen that apes tropes from other better series without understanding how to properly use them.  The examples you're giving do not constitute parody by any definition of the word. Asta and Leopold arguing with each other was just fucking obnoxious, nothing else.  And I'm not even going to ask how or why you remember some offhand post I made three years ago, but you didn't even get my point right.  I stated that most of the okama depictions were problematic, but that Ivankov in particular was portrayed different.  Try again.

And FYI, most sane forums don't allow for multi-posting, because it's fucking obnoxious and turns threads into an unreadable mess.  Either actively participate in a conversation, or ignore it.  Stop spamming the shit out of every thread you post in responding to every single little minutia.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Are you serious?  They were awful then.  If someone was ignorant and didn't know any better they would think these were decent representations. 

Yes, straight guy. Tell the queer person who actively keeps up with the series that I don't know any better about queer representation in the series.

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I was using it as an example of what goes on in the show, and what Yami does in the show.  He exemplifies the parody aspect almost more than anyone else because he is practically on a fourth wall level at times with the way he acts. 

Other shows' characters wouldn't blatantly ask someone they suspected of being a villain in disguise outright like that.  But Yami is no nonsense and doesn't give a fuck. 

Then Yami will mercilessly make fun of and mock other characters who are the epitome of their character types we would see in other shonen.  He is basically making fun of the character types and tropes himself.  You have all these characters set up as the ultimate representation of their character type.  Nozel is the ultimate serious "cool" character.  Yami makes fun of his hair and how he acts etc. 

Yami has also commented on various situations that have happened in the show, typical of shonens, pointed out how stupid the situation was or made fun of it etc.

It wasn't even Yami doing it, but in the last episode some of the Black Bulls characters were ripping on Fuegolion about how serious and by the books he is, the total opposite of Yami, they said.  And we see Fuegolion lecturing his men on the proper way to use a hot spring, almost like it is a surgical procedure.

Being self aware of the tropes you're using isn't parody.

You seem to be unable to grasp certain concepts, much like the long thread where you tried to claim Kirito wasn't a Mary Sue and not only that, Mary Sues don't exist because some people are just super competent at performing unrealistic tasks.

Do you not understand the difference between copying and parody? Is this concept simply out of reach for you?

I mean, anime sites like Mal don't have it listed as parody. I doubt the author considers it parody. Why do you? Because it copies stuff from other anime? 

At some point are you just going to admit you don't know what parody is?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Ben. I don't think he'll ever understand that just because one shounen series treats itself more comedically than others, sometimes to the point of attempted commentary on established tropes, it doesn't automatically make it a parody.

If you're looking for a real parody of shounen - one that Toonami's aired at that - here's one that definitely fits the bill.

Moreso than Black Clover, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The conclusion I’ve reached from this thread is a LA Black Clover is a really bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Zac Efron finally found another shounen protag role he could play after Nat Wolff stole Light from under him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Looks like Zac Efron finally found another shounen protag role he could play after Nat Wolff stole Light from under him.

Can you believe at one point (late 2000’s) he was being considered to play Sousuke Sagura?

Of course the butterfly effect from a LA Fullmetal Panic being made would be fascinating.

Edited by Jman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rock as Yami is a good idea, but let's not stop there. Cast The Rock as everyone and this garbage has a chance. Just give him different wigs and shrink him as necessary to play every character.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...