UnevenEdge

Shenmue: The Animation coming to Toonami

3ngag3

You know, just last month I was thinking about making a hypothetical Shenmue anime after watching Super Eyepatch Wolf rave about the first two games and completely lambast the third.

Thank you, [adult swim], for saving me the trouble. Now I can put in more effort than I already have been into Kinky Kunoichi 2: Not All Cops Are Bastards.

15 minutes ago, elfie said:

Nope.

Short version - An incredibly ambitious adventure game that was the precursor to the modern open world games, but was hampered by its abysmal pacing and legendarily shitty dub.  Most of what it did was refined properly in the Yakuza series, which is generally considered “Shenmue, but good.”  The first two games were released by Sega on the Dreamcast and the original Xbox, and decades later, a crowdfunded third chapter was released on PS4 to critical bashing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daos said:

People apparently loved the first two, but the long awaited third game was an outdated joke.

What was revolutionary in 1999 and 2001 was painfully outdated in 2019.  The GTA series being a thing and the Yakuza series gaining popularity in the West did not help.

• Like 1

Is this serious?  I love Shenmue, but the third game was almost never made for a reason, and going by the videos I have seen, it was an awful game and ended up being a money pit.  Anybody who is a big Shenmue fan should know why it is a bad idea to give Yu Suzuki carte blanche to do whatever he wants with infinite budget.  The Shenmue gambit failed and almost killed SEGA.  They were still forced to leave the console making business and relegated to becoming merely a videogame publisher, with their iconic franchises from then on appearing on former rivals' hardware.  Granted they had already been making bad decisions before then.  Can't imagine why SEGA wanted nothing to do with Shenmue 3!  I hope you know what you are in for, Demarco!

16 hours ago, Jman said:

What was revolutionary in 1999 and 2001 was painfully outdated in 2019.  The GTA series being a thing and the Yakuza series gaining popularity in the West did not help.

Yakuza is also made by SEGA and is obviously inspired by Shenmue.

Fucking... Yu Suzuki said he doesn't play other people's games and that there was almost no influence from other modern games on Shenmue III.  From what I have heard, Yakuza is a matured form of the Shenmue concept, although with not as much ability to interact with the real world to the same degree and detail as Shenmue.  Going by that, Yu Suzuki should have easily been able to modernize Shenmue by combining the best of it with the best of Yakuza.

16 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

So what year do y'all think this will air?

I'd say it's no coincidence that "Shenmue" rhymes with "2022!!"

Still, between this, Uzumaki, Fena: Pirate Princes, and Blade Runner: Black Lotus, LOTS of originals to look forward to!

Let the era of Toonami originals BEGIN!!!

[next year]

Hopefully it gets made faster and turns out better than Shenmue III lul.

On 9/5/2020 at 1:26 AM, Sketch said:

Toonami continues it's trend of getting involved in anime adaptation of things that are old and varying degrees of obscure. I guess that's a fine niche.

It lets them produce something the others aren’t and that’s important.

A Shenmue anime feels like a mid 2000’s product though, sold at an FYE next to copies of Gungrave and Highlander: The Search for Vengeance.  You can practically smell the mall Cinnabon.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Goddammit you made me hungry.

Sorry.  I’d get you some but all the malls are closed and well...can’t send those over the internet just yet.  

Ok, anime adaptations of video games that should have been made in the mid-2000’s.  Go.  (Soul Calibur).

Edited by Jman

I got the HD collection last year and it’s been fun. I’m wondering how they’d make an anime out of it since so much of the game revolves around pulling aside your neighbors to talk to them. I could see the fun surreal moments like Ryo asking around for sailors or profiling Chinese shop owners being cut short because the plot barely progresses until you have access to the shipyard. 

The dub would be necessary though. There’s no way I’m watching this anime if it’s not given an awkward dub. 

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

On 9/13/2020 at 8:09 AM, Jman said:

God I hope not.

The new Yakuza game is getting George Takei to play an older crime boss.  Shenmue can spring for a few decent actors and directors.

From watching the videos by that YouTuber, apparently the reason the game dub ended up like this was because Yu Suzuki INSISTED on the dub be done in Japan, and picked the voice actors himself, but based more on how much they looked like the characters.  Talk about a madman creator!  I can see why SEGA wanted nothing to do with Shenmue III!

Oh, that sounds cool.  I really need to play the Yakuza games.