UnevenEdge

Production IG to announce new collaboration with Adult Swim at Virtual Comic Con

Jman

11 minutes ago, Jman said:

They’re willing to work with DeMarco.

Also, it is apparently not a sequel to a previous Production IG product.

on that note Demarco Fancies himself super woke yet only licenses super sexist and homophobic animes so if this one is full of massive jiggly titty girls and ugly monster drag queens too I'mma have to tell him to STFU about how woke he is >_>

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mochi said:

on that note Demarco Fancies himself super woke yet only licenses super sexist and homophobic animes so if this one is full of massive jiggly titty girls and ugly monster drag queens too I'mma have to tell him to STFU about how woke he is >_>

When does Toonami ever get fanservice laden anime?  Tamaki doesn’t make it a fanservice anime.  

The few times they did, because it was a package deal, the ratings destroyed everything else.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

When does Toonami ever get fanservice laden anime?  Tamaki doesn’t make it a fanservice anime.  

The few times they did, because it was a package deal, the ratings destroyed everything else.

Tamaki literally only exists to be a fanservice character, so yes...her existence does make it a fanservice anime

also, Toonami has licensed a TON of fanservice shows throughout both it's original life and it's revival, not to mention some of the shows it licenses that aren't inherently fanservice shows just happen to have a ton of Fanservice in them anyway

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jman said:

It sells.  

There needs to be a balance between idiotic Puritanism and blatant LCD.

honestly I wouldn't mind the excess fanservice if the shows also did the same with the guys >_> the problem is just that it's always just the girls

Spoiler

thankfully Fire Force season 2's first episode does exactly that

1 hour ago, mochi said:

Still not getting over how he said he hates Avatar for its "failed anime style" when he forgot that Toonami aired Thundercats.

7 hours ago, StarPanda said:

Another Ghost In the shell anime

I thought someone said it wasn't a sequel to a previous anime.

Don't get me wrong, another season of GitS would be awesome, but I wonder if it is maybe Appleseed. A sequel season for that or something perhaps original.

10 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I.G said it would be something the studio "has never done before", so I would rule out any and all sequels to their existing properties, be they big-name like GITS or Appleseed, or obscure like IGPX and Shining Hearts.

They going for it  Live action anime by IG and AS

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jman said:

They wanted KILL la KILL, albeit in spite of fan service.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They wanted KILL la KILL, albeit in spite of fan service.

Yeah, that’s about right.  If they get shows with fanservice it’s in spite of, rather than because of.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jman said:

Yeah, that’s about right.  If they get shows with fanservice it’s in spite of, rather than because of.

Personally I don't think they should get shows because they're loaded with T&A. But they shouldn't ignore shows that are great just because they are loaded with T&A.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mochi said:

19 hours ago, mochi said:

honestly I wouldn't mind the excess fanservice if the shows also did the same with the guys >_> the problem is just that it's always just the girls

Reveal hidden contents

thankfully Fire Force season 2's first episode does exactly that

Barely any of the Toonami shows are actual fan service shows, except Kill la Kill, as mentioned. The shows they've had are hardly just fan service of girls, either.

I can actually barely think of any anime that don't have fan service.  Moribito is one.  There are some other ones that come to mind, but not at the moment, of course, though I have been up for a while as I'm writing this.  Maybe I will come up with more after I've gotten some sleep.  Funny enough, Alicization and War of Underworld have been very light on fan service.  Maybe THAT is a difference of the new director for those seasons that I couldn't think of in the other thread!  Alice has barely been out of her knight armor and Sheyta's clothes were tastefully removed in that fight!

I don't think Demarco selects shows specifically for having distasteful representations of LGBTQ people.  But it's something you are going to run into when acquiring content of Japanese origin.  If it's not something the show is centered on and the show is otherwise good, I can see why Demarco would still want to license such shows. 

For his part, Demarco did say he tried to get Yuri on Ice as one of their NON-ACTION shows, but was unable.  As discussed before, he couldn't get Sailor Moon Crystal due to the Hulu deal.

Regardless, I agree with you that Demarco is a fake-woke fuck.  The guy rants about conglomerates and corporations but is constantly bullshitting and shilling for the one he works for.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:39 AM, ben0119 said:

It's kind of hard for me to get excited by this partnership given the past track record.  But if this is a new thing, maybe it will be good.

It being an original concept...that excites DeMarco has my enthusiasm at -2.  There’s only so far they can go if it’s made for Toonami and not a premium service or channel.  Not to mention the stuff he likes.

The Exaxxion joke is old, but what do you think DeMarco would make if given the opportunity and no restrictions?  (Then again, I’m pretty sure people would have preferred Crunchyroll made Cannon God Exaxxion instead of Dumbass Aztec Avatar Knockoff).

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

DeMarco has my enthusiasm at -2.  There’s only so far they can go if it’s made for Toonami and not a premium service or channel.  Not to mention the stuff he likes.

Pretty much this. Every message I read form him just kills any hype I may have had for something being produced from AS/Toonami. 

Also his taste in things is kinda shit, and clearly there's little management that is actually done with the japanese production studios on what exactly they want. Space Dandy was pretty much what if Cowboy Bebop was FLCL staring Bruce Campbell.

Then FLCL 2 and 3 were what if FLCL were done badly, and we let the original creator who has no interest other than he's being paid either way to write this. The only reason he cares about shows like Bebop, FLCL, and Samurai Champloo was that he's a big music hipsters. He really doesn't know from the looks of it the current trends in anime. Even when he tried making his baby IGPX he was years behind the trend. Oh lets make something like Zoids new century meets G Gundam which are both the least liked in their franchise. 

All of the series toonami has worked on have just been in that trend of; I like x and I like y, lets mix them together and try our "own" thing rather than following trends. If toonami is around still in 5 years I almost feel we'll see them try and make an Isekai where a music producer that is middle aged not a teen gets sent to a fantasy world. I know he doesn't like Isekai despite him saying he has nothing against them. Though if you added shit hip-hop out of date indie music he'd eat it up. 

Another problem is everything Toonami has been producing is episodic. Aside from the first and last episodes of any of these shows, you can just about watch them in any order. Cowboy bebop which was also episodic had a tighter narrative than space dandy or flcl 2 and 3. 

Also I don't really know the situation that is going on with syndication of some of these series. You'd think that since AS/T paid for these shows that they could show them in syndication. Like people would be far less pissed if we had Space Dandy on instead of Ballmasterz. FLCL 2 and 3 can die in a fire, I can see why they wouldn't air that. Still I'm wondering if they are viewing it as problematic since the toonami staff are "progressive", and musical number about girls asses might look bad when people are freaking out already.

Which kinda rolls back to how out of touch the staff was. Like lets have a HS musical when those haven't been popular in over a decade at the airing of SD. It wasn't done badly, but the themes are always far behind the trends. It's like out of touch parents buying something for their teenage kid that they had interest in when they were 9. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Isn't it strange how the two people behind the Bleach Hooters fancomic are major buzzkills when it comes to actual discussion?

I want to be optimistic, but at least the Random Netflix Executive’s tastes seem somewhat closer to the average viewer these days.

Ok, Poke, (I’m not saying this as any form of criticism, mind you, I honestly want your opinion), what type of show, irrespective of IP,  do you think he wants to make?

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Pretty much this. Every message I read form him just kills any hype I may have had for something being produced from AS/Toonami. 

Also his taste in things is kinda shit, and clearly there's little management that is actually done with the japanese production studios on what exactly they want. Space Dandy was pretty much what if Cowboy Bebop was FLCL staring Bruce Campbell.

Then FLCL 2 and 3 were what if FLCL were done badly, and we let the original creator who has no interest other than he's being paid either way to write this. The only reason he cares about shows like Bebop, FLCL, and Samurai Champloo was that he's a big music hipsters. He really doesn't know from the looks of it the current trends in anime. Even when he tried making his baby IGPX he was years behind the trend. Oh lets make something like Zoids new century meets G Gundam which are both the least liked in their franchise. 

All of the series toonami has worked on have just been in that trend of; I like x and I like y, lets mix them together and try our "own" thing rather than following trends. If toonami is around still in 5 years I almost feel we'll see them try and make an Isekai where a music producer that is middle aged not a teen gets sent to a fantasy world. I know he doesn't like Isekai despite him saying he has nothing against them. Though if you added shit hip-hop out of date indie music he'd eat it up. 

Another problem is everything Toonami has been producing is episodic. Aside from the first and last episodes of any of these shows, you can just about watch them in any order. Cowboy bebop which was also episodic had a tighter narrative than space dandy or flcl 2 and 3. 

Also I don't really know the situation that is going on with syndication of some of these series. You'd think that since AS/T paid for these shows that they could show them in syndication. Like people would be far less pissed if we had Space Dandy on instead of Ballmasterz. FLCL 2 and 3 can die in a fire, I can see why they wouldn't air that. Still I'm wondering if they are viewing it as problematic since the toonami staff are "progressive", and musical number about girls asses might look bad when people are freaking out already.

Which kinda rolls back to how out of touch the staff was. Like lets have a HS musical when those haven't been popular in over a decade at the airing of SD. It wasn't done badly, but the themes are always far behind the trends. It's like out of touch parents buying something for their teenage kid that they had interest in when they were 9. 

i find it funny how hard demarco tried to sell people on ballmasterz by telling them how they'd love it if they gave it a chance and watched it

Just now, CountFrylock said:

i find it funny how hard demarco tried to sell people on ballmasterz by telling them how they'd love it if they gave it a chance and watched it

I’d sooner sell the lot of you on airing AEW reruns at Toonami’s tail end.

(Note - I don’t want that).

11 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

It's an okay show, but it's like one and done. I never really had a desire to rewatch any of it. Any anime satire that was being used was shit from the 80s and 90s. "look ha ha we're with it, and know the animayz references". Yeah sailor moon, dating sims, Voltron, the torture dance which was first done in 1995 in the jojo manga, and Vampire Hunter D Jokes. You really know your current audience Toonami and aren't just some old guys that are out of touch with your consumer base. 

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

Easy: something woke.

So...crap.

It’s not hard, is it?  Even Crunchyroll seems to get it.  “Oh shit, people really like our shounen tournament anime but won’t stop sending death threats over our woke shit!  Let’s make more of the former and more Shield Hero!”

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It's an okay show, but it's like one and done. I never really had a desire to rewatch any of it. Any anime satire that was being used was shit from the 80s and 90s. "look ha ha we're with it, and know the animayz references". Yeah sailor moon, dating sims, Voltron, the torture dance which was first done in 1995 in the jojo manga, and Vampire Hunter D Jokes. You really know your current audience Toonami and aren't just some old guys that are out of touch with your consumer base. 

it just doesn't fit on toonami at all and I'm surprised that this seemed like the best option to fill in for Jojo to demarco and pals

unfortunately despite tonight being the conclusion of S1 for ballmasterz We've heard no word on if Jojo's back next week or not so i think it's safe to assume Ballmasterz S2 will be here on toonami next week

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Isn't it strange how the two people behind the Bleach Hooters fancomic are major buzzkills when it comes to actual discussion?

It's almost like the guys who have millions of views on their comic, understand what fans want and what industry trends are. 

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Easy: something woke.

So a waste of money that nobody really wants. Really sounds par the course at this point.  To be an optimist and since it's I.G I think the best we can hope for is dystopian sci fi. Probably a Dimension W or s-CRY-ed knock off with Champloo or bebop music thrown in. 

5 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Space Dandy had like no creative input from Adult Swim. They basically saw it wheni t was almost compelte and said "yeah that's good let's co-fund it."

The only thing from Toonami's crew that I have been remotely excited for is the TOM scenes and the TIEs. That's it. There were a few episodes of FLCL 2 and 3 I enjoyed, as well as some of IGPX.

Edited by elfie

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It's almost like the guys who have millions of views on their comic, understand what fans want and what industry trends are. 

So a waste of money that nobody really wants. Really sounds par the course at this point.  To be an optimist and since it's I.G I think the best we can hope for is dystopian sci fi. Probably a Dimension W or s-CRY-ed knock off with Champloo or bebop music thrown in. 

A-HERUM!!!!

Just now, elfie said:

Space Dandy had like no creative input from Adult Swim. They basically saw it wheni t was almost compelte and said "yeah that's good let's co-fund it."

Well that was the only one that I was even giving them credit that was any good. Odd that Japan would do a HS musical parody episode when it bombed over there. Japan didn't like HS musical so much they wouldn't even list the sales numbers for the premier despite it getting promoted to hell with comedians. You're probably right though. 

hrwt.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Well that was the only one that I was even giving them credit that was any good. Odd that Japan would do a HS musical parody episode when it bombed over there. Japan didn't like HS musical so much they wouldn't even list the sales numbers for the premier despite it getting promoted to hell with comedians. You're probably right though. 

hrwt.JPG

You do realize Shinichiro Watanabe throws a lot of Western influences into his works, right? High School Musical's sales numbers mean jack shit when it comes to what he or his crew want to envision.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

You do realize Shinichiro Watanabe throws a lot of Western influences into his works, right? High School Musical's sales numbers mean jack shit when it comes to what he or his crew want to envision.

Considering that all of his shows have some sort of music influence from america it's fair to say that. HSM teen pop seemed a bit of an odd addition. Then again guy could have just been trying his hand at satire. Still standing by that it wasn't as good as champloo or bebop, but if that was his vision without any input from AS/T then I'll take back all the positive aspects I attributed to Demarco and his staff for input; as there was none. 

28 minutes ago, elfie said:

There were a few episodes of FLCL 2 and 3 I enjoyed, as well as some of IGPX.

I can say there are parts of The Room I enjoyed, it doesn't make the whole picture good. The fact that there was any input and overview on FLCL is almost shocking. That a human with working eyes could look at that and say this will do. Season 3 was literally another scrapped anime project they had then threw Haruko into a few background scenes. Season 2 was just incoherent, the world felt un-lived in. The characters were mostly flat. Dark skin haruko had some promise to stir things up, barely gets used and is killed off. Haruko never feels like she has an active role. The class feel like NPC's. Naota's narration in FLCL helped flesh things out and add atmosphere.  He would think about other characters and it would flesh out the story. The girl in season 2 I can't even remember any of their names, didn't think of anything. All we knew is that she had dreams about death and had a thing for muscles in her class. Naota even does a short narrator role for 5 seconds. Though those aren't her thoughts.  So much felt like a missed opportunity when they had 12 episodes to work with. 

• Haha 1