UnevenEdge

No New MHA this saturday

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I just think Elfie's so stupid he believes recording the voices is all there is to being a dub actor.

Saying your lines is all you have to do if you're a dub actor. Everything else is done in the localization and ADR department. It's just that some voice actors wear many hats and double as the localization staff, adr directors, etc. Then in Japan it's pretty much unheard of for a voice actor to do anything other than their line reads. Over here though I'd say close to half of the VAs double in one way or another on some other aspect of making the show. Then there are ones like Spike Spencer who just does line reads and nothing else. 

• Like 1

That's the point I was trying to get across. Dub acting may involve just reading the lines, but with all the work that goes into mixing the dialogue in with the SFX tracks and making sure the final product is at the desired level of acceptability, one can't just go thinking the dubbing is done at the tail end of everything.

In order to make any real money as a VA in the American anime industry you pretty much have to double down, doing something else involved in its production. Considering all or just about all Dub production in the US isn't union, when it came to people like Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, and so on they just about completely left doing anime for video games since voice acting for video games is majority union, that being where the money's at.

Also heard somewhere that once you're in the VA union you're not allowed to do work for companies that aren't union, or at least won't pay the amount required for union work. I think the only exception being for reprisals, such as Laura Bailey returning for the new Fruits Basket series.

Edited by Distinct Lunatic

On the topic of American anime VA's, the thing that helps in them making money is typically the dubbing companies will allow them use their characters likeness at places like conventions. If you're a VA in America and not in a union or doubling down, conventions is your only other real choice in order to make a proper living. Or I guess you could become famous on Twitch

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

We're only 2 episodes behind the sub. Like I've said before it's on hiatus because Bakugo's japanese VA had throat surgery. 

No it goddamn isn't. Nobuhiko Okamoto announced his surgery at the end of May and is recovering right now. The last episode of season four aired in Japan on April 4th, almost two months before then. It may affect season five in the future, but every single episode that currently exists was fully completed and released months ago in Japan.

Also, why the fuck would the Japanese actor's medical leave have anything to do wit the English dub of the show? I am genuinely curious why you believe he has any effect on an overseas production that he doesn't even work on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

No it goddamn isn't. Nobuhiko Okamoto announced his surgery at the end of May and is recovering right now. The last episode of season four aired in Japan on April 4th, almost two months before then. It may affect season five in the future, but every single episode that currently exists was fully completed and released months ago in Japan.

Also, why the fuck would the Japanese actor's medical leave have anything to do wit the English dub of the show? I am genuinely curious why you believe he has any effect on an overseas production that he doesn't even work on.

Hey now partner, no need to get riled up. We're all fans of the show here

5 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Crunchy announced that MHA was being put on hold because of the surgery. It would have a lot to do with the english side of things, because if Japan isn't putting out more episodes then they aren't giving funi the scripts to work with. Right now funi is only two episodes behind where the sub stopped. I've even spoken with funi about the simul dubs and they said that they do them as fast as Japan can get them the scripts, if they don't deliver then there's nothing they can do. 

3 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Crunchy announced that MHA was being put on hold because of the surgery. It would have a lot to do with the english side of things, because if Japan isn't putting out more episodes then they aren't giving funi the scripts to work with. Right now funi is only two episodes behind where the sub stopped. I've even spoken with funi about the simul dubs and they said that they do them as fast as Japan can get them the scripts, if they don't deliver then there's nothing they can do. 

Pretty sure the current season has finished airing in Japan, and the Japanese recording sessions should have ended some months back.

Unless what they're getting at is that the release of the next season will be held back because of it.

12 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Pretty sure the current season has finished airing in Japan, and the Japanese recording sessions should have ended some months back.

Unless what they're getting at is that the release of the next season will be held back because of it.

I'd assume that is what crunchy is talking about. As for funi from last I checked with them is that they are waiting on Japan, but the japanese studio doesn't seem to be in any rush to send the scripts. 

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

I'd assume that is what crunchy is talking about. As for funi from last I checked with them is that they are waiting on Japan, but the japanese studio doesn't seem to be in any rush to send the scripts. 

I heard with simuldubs those are produced entirely within 2 weeks after aired in Japan, so anything they receive is within that span.

Can you link the article? Because I just went through Crunchyroll's archives and this is the only thing I found, which says absolutely nothing about putting the anime on hold. The last episode, which aired over two months ago in Japan, ends with the phrase "To be continued: 5th season!" It's on a normal seasonal break, not being postponed because of his medical issues.

And they don't wait on Japan for scripts, why would they? The episodes are already fully translated and subtitled, and hit their website on the same day as the Japanese airing. They've had the scripts the entire time.

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

The next season probably isn't even in pre-production yet, much less in a place where they're ready for voice actors to start recording.

The Japanese are pretty quick when it comes to cranking out anime, but for another 26 episode season I'd imagine you're still looking at a solid 6 months to a year of work, they're likely going full swing in production (assuming the Corona hasn't completely halted things) I don't know at what point during production they do the voice over but I think it's near the final steps, so realistically I'd imagine there's several more months before they'll start recording.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:00 PM, HardcoreHunter said:

Oh so you don't actually know how anything works. Cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's probably no friggin' way this is actually happening, but it would be awesome if Fire Force Season 2 ended up some kind of Space Dandy situation.

I think we'll get something else on July 11th, and then FF either replaces Paranoia Agent or Mob Psycho 100 in August. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with dubbing it one episode a week. If not, it might be September after Labor Day before it comes to Toonami. Toonami's fall schedule will probably have enough marathon interruptions to keep FF going. And maybe, just maybe, they can mix in some other specials if another show is coming to an end.

But real talk, Fire Force may just carry Toonami until MHA comes back, but 2021 could be a much better year for us all!

7 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Oh so you don't actually know how anything works. Cool.

When I talked to funimation in May it's what they told me, that they were waiting on the script.  When I spoke with Demarco a couple of weeks ago he said that they'll just be shuffling shows around in the meantime because jojo reruns or doubling up on Naruto is like cancer or something that they'd never consider. As for the show hiatus I swore it said that the show was on hiatus but apparently says that the VA is on hiatus, either way no new episodes till he gets better since Bakugo isn't easy to write out of the season. Still was wrong on that. 

• Thanks 1

Why is Jojo That Damn Unpopular On Toonami?  i just never understood why nobody ever watches it and why it always get treated like it's the worst anime ever....

when you are so unpopular that Episodes of Ballmasterez are seen as a better alternative than reruns....that's not good

10 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Why is Jojo That Damn Unpopular On Toonami?  i just never understood why nobody ever watches it and why it always get treated like it's the worst anime ever....

when you are so unpopular that Episodes of Ballmasterez are seen as a better alternative than reruns....that's not good

It usually does fair in ratings. Demarco though seemed like reruns of jojo are the opposite of what anyone would have wanted. Even when he tweeted about it, he presented it like "thank god we are getting ballmasterz reruns instead of jojo reruns amiright". A lot of twitter did backlash over it as they rather would have had jojo reruns. I assume reruns for jojo were off the table more out of licensing issues and short notice, than it being something he or toonami fans hated. It doesn't pull in as much ratings though as MHA, AoT, or DBS, but it still pulls better ratings than Naruto, Boruto or HunterxHunter have on average. 

56 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

When I talked to funimation in May it's what they told me, that they were waiting on the script.  When I spoke with Demarco a couple of weeks ago he said that they'll just be shuffling shows around in the meantime because jojo reruns or doubling up on Naruto is like cancer or something that they'd never consider. As for the show hiatus I swore it said that the show was on hiatus but apparently says that the VA is on hiatus, either way no new episodes till he gets better since Bakugo isn't easy to write out of the season. Still was wrong on that. 

...dude are you seriously pulling the "well I talked to person X and they said this!" card again? Just take the L.

• D'oh 1

1 minute ago, Top Gun said:

...dude are you seriously pulling the "well I talked to person X and they said this!" card again? Just take the L.

I said I was wrong, read the last sentence.  I don't think it's a card thing again, when the last time I actually posted the email conversation because you guys bitched. I don't have it this time though because I cleared my box a couple of weeks ago.  The Demarco question I asked him though should be on his twitter. I'll be sure to save all my personal emails in the future though to share. Never knew minor info that told jack shit was being done was that important to keep. 

When I talked to funimation in May it's what they told me, that they were waiting on the script.

Prove it. At this point we already know one of your "sources" was just you misreading an article, so show us a screenshot of the email or a link to the twitter reply or anything else that shows they said that.

Wait, let me guess. Colleen Clinkenbeard personally took your phone call and explained everything in detail, but you didn't think to record it and also you were sworn to secrecy for being the only fan on the entire internet who was given this information.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EmpressAngel said:

Prove it. At this point we already know one of your "sources" was just you misreading an article, so show us a screenshot of the email or a link to the twitter reply or anything else that shows they said that.

Wait, let me guess. Colleen Clinkenbeard personally took your phone call and explained everything in detail, but you didn't think to record it and also you were sworn to secrecy for being the only fan on the entire internet who was given this information.

Guess you can't read either. I'll link the tweet I had with demarco though if that helps. Never talked with her, have talked with lots of other VA's though. Really easy to contact them via email. I'll send Colleen an email if you'd like for me to. Anything you want it to say or ask? It's honestly that simple, you send an email and they usually write back. In her case though I'll probably have to send a tweet since I think her email is business only. I can send tiffany grant an email though, last I talked to her was when all the netflix getting eva drama was going on. Here's the tweet from Demarco anyway 

20 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

also you were sworn to secrecy for being the only fan on the entire internet who was given this information.

As for my source like I said, I contacted funimation. I didn't contact a VA for the info. I might try that next time though since funimation's support seems to be garbage at giving accurate info. 

5f2.JPG

Okay well sent the message hope to hear back from her. Just general questions about dubbing in lockdown and asking how she is doing. Though point shown, it takes no effort to send a message to someone. You don't have to be some insider with connections. Guess I could have also sent the email to monica, Matt Greenfield, Kyle Hebert since I have as well. It's almost like if I ever had a question about voice acting, I just asked the voice actors instead of waiting for a convention. Also industry stuff and sometimes box releases. I remember asking Tiffany about the eva blu-ray a couple of years ago that Japan was getting to see if we would be getting an NA release. This is also when I learned about licensing deals and how they work. That every format has it's own deal that needs to be bought, and there are also regional licenses which how we sometimes can end up with multiple dubs for the same show at the same time like what happened with DBZ between funi and ocean. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Guess you can't read either. I'll link the tweet I had with demarco though if that helps. Never talked with her, have talked with lots of other VA's though. Really easy to contact them via email. I'll send Colleen an email if you'd like for me to. Anything you want it to say or ask? It's honestly that simple, you send an email and they usually write back. In her case though I'll probably have to send a tweet since I think her email is business only. I can send tiffany grant an email though, last I talked to her was when all the netflix getting eva drama was going on. Here's the tweet from Demarco anyway 

...this was the one part of your post that literally no one gave a shit about.