UnevenEdge

Funi halting simuldub production. MHA and Black Clover runs on Toonami in doubt

3ngag3

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Besides, it's only affecting two shows, and one of them's three months ahead in the simuldub already. It ain't that big a crisis.

Yeah it's not too bad and totally understandable. I'm curious how they'll navigate it for the other two but there's a good size buffer for Black Clover.

Also, just remembered, not Funi's but Food Wars won't have any issues either since it has already been dubbed through S3 since the S3 set just came out, and we're still early in S2.

Edited by DangerMouse

Best case scenario, FUNimation still dubs the last 5 episodes of MHA's current season fast enough that Toonami can finish out the season without breaking early. That seems like wishful thinking though.

Worst case scenario, Toonami has to either rerun MHA a little before finishing the season or takes it off before finishing this season and leaves the remaining episodes for whenever it comes back for a 5th season. Honestly that might make the most sense even if it leaves the viewers on mid-arc cliffhanger. Even temporary reruns in the first slot tends to be terrible for the rest of the block.

I really hope FUNimation doesn't insist they remain ahead by 3 weeks or something stupid like that because that would definitely screw Toonami unless FUNimation only delays by one week. It's pretty dang unlikely FUNimation will be able to get MHA's dub back to recording within a week.

I would not be surprised at all if Toonami will have to abruptly pull MHA. FUNimation could very well put off dubbing episodes 84-88 for over a month and frankly they probably should.

We have no idea how long this situation will last but it's entirely plausible that Black Clover's dub will take a production hiatus that is longer than a month. If it takes one for more than 3 months (and that's not out of the realm of possibility) then Toonami will actually run out of episodes to air.

As for filling any potential holes to avoid losing more time. There are plenty of already dubbed shows they can potentially air in place of any simuldub they were intending to get. Food Wars, Shippuden and (probably) JoJo should be able to keep on truck'n.

I firmly believe they will do everything they can to maintain 3 hours of premieres. Hopefully Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Viz Media, Sentai Filmworks or any other company will provide them with shows to air in place of whatever may have to be derailed. But that said, if they already spent some of their budget on the next planned seasons of Fire Force, Dr. Stone, Attack on Titan, etc. they may not be able to get something else to replace them. I don't think it will come to that but there's too many unknowns in this scenario.

Regardless of what they do, we have to understand that this was an entirely unforeseeable situation. If that means Toonami has to air some reruns or lose another slot, it honestly should be the least of our worries.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 3

I wonder if we might actually get a month of movies or something like that if all the front runners go into production delays or end. It would certainly be interesting.

Ratings are likely to be MUCH higher this week for all of TV with no one able to go out. Whether or not this translates to success for Toonami remains to be seen.

It's inconvenient, but I think we'll be fine. MHA being such a heavy hitter for FUNi and having so few episodes left to do, I imagine that's going to be their first priority to get back running. The actors who do work for multiple studios like Seitz tend to have their own in-home setup already, and they're probably loaning out all the equipment they can to the others. I don't think the hiatus will last over a month, and they'll adjust the waiting period for Toonami accordingly.

• Like 3

i hope this doesn't last too long....and that Covid-19 doesn't  get any worse for the united states because i feel like we need something to look forward to instead of just everyday being more horrible news

it's made where i can't be all that positive without seeming naive or stupid due to current events

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i hope this doesn't last too long....and that Covid-19 doesn't  get any worse for the united states because i feel like we need something to look forward to instead of just everyday being more horrible news

it's made where i can't be all that positive without seeming naive or stupid due to current events

The US's cases for positive testings are not slowing down, and in fact, they are growing exponentially every day. We are nowhere near the top of the curve, which means this won't end in even a few months.

Edited by elfie

Suppression of transmission rate by outlawing large gatherings, like we've been doing in most U.S. States, DOES actually work. We're just way behind on testing so it might take longer to see the effect. We probably didn't have as many new transmissions this week as positive tests.

If we can do it successfully, we'll be back to something resembling normal in a couple of months or sooner.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Suppression of transmission rate by outlawing large gatherings, like we've been doing in most U.S. States, DOES actually work. We're just way behind on testing so it might take longer to see the effect. We probably didn't have as many new transmissions this week as positive tests.

If we can do it successfully, we'll be back to something resembling normal in a couple of months or sooner.

hopefully sooner because cabin fever is real

Funimation said they are pausing them while they readjust things for people to be able to work from home.  So there will be delays, but they are going to back to working on them as soon as possible.

Black Clover has a ways to go before it catches up.

I hope they don't take off MHA and bring those episodes back when the next season comes.  They should only take it off as long as necessary.  Just put something else in that slot until then, even if it has to mean temporarily losing a slot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elfie said:

The US's cases for positive testings are not slowing down, and in fact, they are growing exponentially every day. We are nowhere near the top of the curve, which means this won't end in even a few months.

Officials have already said that that increase is due to a backlog of tests, not just more people getting it.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Officials have already said that that increase is due to a backlog of tests, not just more people getting it.

yeah i don't want to even humor the idea that The USA is a smoldering craphole with Covid-19 conquering it...(which is how the news makes it sound every time a new case is confirmed)

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Which is why it just puzzles me that Cuomo is taking stricter and stricter laws in place every day acting as though he can judge the results of these things per day. Dude. The reason cases are continuing to rise isn't because you're doing a horrible job at putting up defense strategies. It's because New York is TESTING more per day!!  You only wait a DAY to see results that can't realistically arrive??

He should absolutely be putting those measures in place, and so should the entire country.  They work.  Instead you have fuckwits like Florida just figuring out in the last day or two that, oh, hey, maybe we should think about closing our beaches.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

He should absolutely be putting those measures in place, and so should the entire country.  They work.  Instead you have fuckwits like Florida just figuring out in the last day or two that, oh, hey, maybe we should think about closing our beaches.

Instead you have twitfucks like those thousands of people who are still holding crowded spring break parties and then it turns out at least 9 of em test positive!

4 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

I'm going the FUCK on vacation once this lockdown is over.

People working remotely not spending money on travel will probably be taking very long vacations far the fuck away from their homes once they get the all clear.

Wouldn’t mind visiting a beach resort when (key word when) it’s safe to do so.

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Instead you have twitfucks like those thousands of people who are still holding crowded spring break parties and then it turns out at least 9 of em test positive!

There's also coronavirus speakeasies and people trying to have giant private parties.  Which the authorities are trying to clamp down on.  Idiots!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/fears-lockdown-parties-will-increase-global-spread-of-coronavirus

• D'oh 1

15 hours ago, ben0119 said:

lmao people are saying there's going to be a corona baby boom because of this. xD

Opposite.

People hunkered together will be so sick of each other that divorce rates will go through the roof, prompting either a genophage or a ton of children conceived in bar bathrooms who will never know who their father is.

• Haha 1