UnevenEdge

It's Chinese New Year!

tsar4

I like how in china the rat is praised for being "cunning" and tricking the cat to screw it out of being a zodiac animal. While in the west we'd probably consider that a villain thing and a dick move for being a line cutter. Guess it says something about Chinese sensibilities when it comes to scams being so prevalent. The idea of there being nothing wrong with it, because if you're dumb enough to be scammed then you deserve to be parted with goods and money, but if you're a scammer who gets caught then you deserved to be caught for not being cunning enough to outsmart others. The only time I've seen the chinese have an outcry over being scammed was when their government was putting sewer oil in food, and it made like 400 kids go to the hospital, supposedly there were more but it's china so they're probably going to keep those numbers under wraps as much as they can. Also doesn't help that they had state doctors tell the families that their kids are fine, but when they took the child to a private doctor they were like yeah they're not in good shape, though since the state said the kids were fine, the only logical reason was either the private doctors are quacks or the kids got sick after seeing the state doctors. Either way 
qKgBCvK.jpg?1?fb

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I went to Panda Express today....WHich is notoriously the fauxest of Chinese you can get and the employees were talking about how they got paid more for working today.....Which kinda confused me due to there not being a single Chinese person in the building.

Customers got a paper lantern....That you had to assemble.

2 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

I went to Panda Express today....WHich is notoriously the fauxest of Chinese you can get and the employees were talking about how they got paid more for working today.....Which kinda confused me due to there not being a single Chinese person in the building.

I've only ever been there once. Idk how it's still open with better places everywhere for the same price

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naraku4656 said:

I've only ever been there once. Idk how it's still open with better places everywhere for the same price

Depends on the area.  There's a good storefront place in a strip mall about 6-7 mi. from me.  There's another place that's nearer to me that isn't as good, but they make up for it by being ridiculously overpriced...like because they're place is fancier looking, it's better.

I miss being able to walk to a really good one near where I had my condo in Chicago.  I heard they changed hands & now it's pretty bad.  Loved the Chicken Chow Fun.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, HardcoreHunter said:

I like how in china the rat is praised for being "cunning" and tricking the cat to screw it out of being a zodiac animal. While in the west we'd probably consider that a villain thing and a dick move for being a line cutter. Guess it says something about Chinese sensibilities when it comes to scams being so prevalent. The idea of there being nothing wrong with it, because if you're dumb enough to be scammed then you deserve to be parted with goods and money, but if you're a scammer who gets caught then you deserved to be caught for not being cunning enough to outsmart others. The only time I've seen the chinese have an outcry over being scammed was when their government was putting sewer oil in food, and it made like 400 kids go to the hospital, supposedly there were more but it's china so they're probably going to keep those numbers under wraps as much as they can. Also doesn't help that they had state doctors tell the families that their kids are fine, but when they took the child to a private doctor they were like yeah they're not in good shape, though since the state said the kids were fine, the only logical reason was either the private doctors are quacks or the kids got sick after seeing the state doctors. Either way 
qKgBCvK.jpg?1?fb

Mythology in a lot of cultures tend to value cunning and out smarting your enemies, especially when those traits are found in physically smaller/weaker characters

Just now, Vamped said:

Mythology in a lot of cultures tend to value cunning and out smarting your enemies, especially when those traits are found in physically smaller/weaker characters

It was a dick move though. A lot of the western stories I remember involve a fox, and they're usually the bad guy. Usually the fox will win and kill whatever animal they're after. Then the moral is to not be an idiot. Billy goats gruff is one of the few I can think of where the idea of being cunning was more the first two being cowardly little shits and just selling out their friend/brother who was going to be next; until the third roid raged and killed the troll, held his head under water till the bubbles stopped. Then they danced in a meadow; moral of the story is that taxes are bullshit and highway tolls are a scam. At least that's how it was told to me!  

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It was a dick move though. A lot of the western stories I remember involve a fox, and they're usually the bad guy. Usually the fox will win and kill whatever animal they're after. Then the moral is to not be an idiot. Billy goats gruff is one of the few I can think of where the idea of being cunning was more the first two being cowardly little shits and just selling out their friend/brother who was going to be next; until the third roid raged and killed the troll, held his head under water till the bubbles stopped. Then they danced in a meadow; moral of the story is that taxes are bullshit and highway tolls are a scam. At least that's how it was told to me!  

Fox characters are one of my favorite animals in mythology. They have a duality to their nature across cultures. I think many cultures use cunning  in smaller creatures to inspire people and show them that just because your opponent is stronger than you, you can use the tools you have to be successful and survive. 

18 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Fox characters are one of my favorite animals in mythology. They have a duality to their nature across cultures. I think many cultures use cunning  in smaller creatures to inspire people and show them that just because your opponent is stronger than you, you can use the tools you have to be successful and survive. 

The bible did that with David. Just had him smash a big guy in the head with a rock. I always found if funny how that was so often depicted as a children's story and was often animated. 

On 1/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, cyberbully said:

Hey, it was my first red envelope, just let me enjoy it. We also got coupons for a free firecracker shrimp entree and free drink.

Panda Express's owners are Chinese American, so it's not surprising they pay more during that time just out of respect of the holiday. Asian restaurants do get higher volume of customers during Lunar New Year because more people are now aware that they sometimes have special menu items or free stuff during that time too. I had plans of hitting up this one Taiwanese buffet place because of this but was forced to stick to a stricter budget this month.

Edited by DragonSinger

1 hour ago, DragonSinger said:

Hey, it was my first red envelope, just let me enjoy it. We also got coupons for a free firecracker shrimp entree and free drink.

I got the envelope, and they offered the firecracker shrimp at a $2 markup if you ordered it, not at all for free....They gave my son a drink, but they didn't say it was because of the holiday.  I had just told him I wasn't buying him a drink there since he wanted Taco Bell and could get his drink there but the girl just gave him one. Now I'm not sure if she was being cool or did it because she owed it to me.