UnevenEdge

Gen:LOCK Episode 3 Discussion

Huh, I just realized they didn't air that clip from the promo they've been airing all this week.

Reminds me of when they used clips they cut out of Noein for the bumpers on Ani-Monday. Or Mako's "Holy Bazongers!" making it into a marathon promo despite being cut from the actual broadcast version of KLK 9.

• Haha 1

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

Huh, I just realized they didn't air that clip from the promo they've been airing all this week.

Reminds me of when they used clips they cut out of Noein for the bumpers on Ani-Monday. Or Mako's "Holy Bazongers!" making it into a marathon promo despite being cut from the actual broadcast version of KLK 9.

... oh my god! A WHOLE SEGMENT was cut! ... how long is this ep's original edit?

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

What policy? I've never heard of this policy you speak of.

Whatever you want to refer to it as.  They did something stupid as not promoting big name voice talent in the past doesn't mean they should keep doing that.

10 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

twin_spica_nakama.jpg

I’m getting a similar vibe to Cannon Busters, since that show DESPERATELY wants to be Trigun to the point you just kinda want them to fire the guy after one season and just make a proper Trigun Maximum anime.

Everyone has pointed out the cliches present in the show, but it makes you want to watch the show it rips off.

And again, they have failed, completely and bafflingly, to leverage the greatest asset the show, its cast.

• Like 2

This show is just cool!

Sure, this was kind of a "training and explanations" episode, with no real danger, but it was wonderfully well-executed, and despite good voice cast work all-around, especially from Maisie Williams' Cammie, David Tennant still totally stole the show!

But it is quite shocking that material Toonami used for a promo didn't actually get to air. I found it neat that we got the full OP back instead, though!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This show is just cool!

Sure, this was kind of a "training and explanations" episode, with no real danger, but it was wonderfully well-executed, and despite good voice cast work all-around, especially from Maisie Williams' Cammie, David Tennant still totally stole the show!

But it is quite shocking that material Toonami used for a promo didn't actually get to air. I found it neat that we got the full OP back instead, though!

THe crew isn't responsible for what's edited out for time, so they likely had no idea they didn't include any of the shots they used.

Would it be a terrible decision if it was intentional, tho? In a way, they get away with showing a little bit more of the show that was left on the edit block, even if it is just a few seconds long.

I like how the animation complaints have died down, tho. Whether it's from just too tired to point it out, or letting it grow on 'em,  eh, I'll take it.

Also enjoying how authentically crass Cammie's writing seems to be. Because of course the most vulgar person on the show is going to be the little Scottish shite.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Would it be a terrible decision if it was intentional, tho? In a way, they get away with showing a little bit more of the show that was left on the edit block, even if it is just a few seconds long.

I like how the animation complaints have died down, tho. Whether it's from just too tired to point it out, or letting it grow on 'em,  eh, I'll take it.

Also enjoying how authentically crass Cammie's writing seems to be. Because of course the most vulgar person on the show is going to be the little Scottish shite.

... you assume Toonami would actually make a TEASER promo instead of a TRAILER? 

It may be my ears but I think Cammie is Irish, since we already have a Scottish character voiced by David Tennant and I assume they don't want more than one nationality represented other than American.

The animation does take some getting used to. I think of it like an animated feature film where you're just fine with it after watching it for a half-hour straight.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Wikipedia says Cammie's Scottish, while Dr. Weller's nationality is left unsaid. He sounds more English than Scottish to me on the spectrum of British accents, I'll confess.

But Tennant is using the Scrooge McDuck voice (unless that's just his voice?) and he's Scottish!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, rpgamer said:

I either didn't notice, maybe I got used to it, or it was the fact we mostly had mecha action in this episode.  Where the animation really fails is with people.  I said before how robots can be jerky and weird with their movements because, well, they're robots.  Unless the animation has improved as the show has gone along, not sure.  I'll pay closer attention next time.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

But Tennant is using the Scrooge McDuck voice (unless that's just his voice?) and he's Scottish!

Scrooge's voice is very close to his own voice. And David Tennant's nationality is Scottish in real life, despite knowing how to do several British dialects, which only perplexes me even more in this show.

19 hours ago, elfie said:

Scrooge's voice is very close to his own voice. And David Tennant's nationality is Scottish in real life, despite knowing how to do several British dialects, which only perplexes me even more in this show.

Oh okay.  It's been a while since I've seen a handful of Doctor Who episodes with him in it, but I don't remember him talking like this in that show.  Yeah, it doesn't make sense here.