UnevenEdge

Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion (spoilers)

Sawdamizer

Not joking, serious possible spoilers about the whole season and not just episode 1.

Spoiler

Bran become king, Sansa is queen. Jamie and Cersei die in the redkeep when it falls apart from the hound and mountain fighting. Jon kills Daenerys after she goes batshit crazy because he doesn't hook up with her anymore.

My buddy shot retakes for them.

This thread will also be for the weekly episode show discussions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Slow episode... But the subtle snark was fun.

Tree God Bran - "I'm waiting for a friend"

Jamie Lannister - "surely no one will recognize me NOW in Winterfell"

Tree God Bran - "sup, kingslayer"

Sam - "I had the high septums diary... And Bran has... Whatever it is he has"

Sansa - "that wedding had it's moments" *smirking side eye*

My gf never saw the show so we started watching from the beginning a few weeks ago (the ep we watched earlier today was the red wedding, which is probably peak GOT).

I say that because I just solo watched episode 8.1, and going from 3.9 to 8.1 feels like watching two entirely different shows with two totally different tones that just happen to have the same characters. One where anyone can die unceremoniously, with a dozen plot threads at once, and another that feels almost like one of those current reboots of old 90s shows, with all the main plot-shield characters together reminiscing about things (between out of place joke drops) that happened before the show ended the first time.

I don't know how much of it is me literally watching this immediately after binging old episodes, or the actual delay before this final season, or just the inevitable result of having to tie up a massive multi-arc series (built on subverting traditional expectations) in a way that has a traditional narrative conclusion with finality. Or maybe it's just the different intro throwing me off.

Like I can't necessarily put my finger on it, but a lot of it felt really forced - like Arya had at least three "major" reunions, except without the emotional weight of even one major reunion. Maybe it's the nature of not having source material beyond the big bullet points, and I think GRRM is so despondent over writing because of how difficult it is for him to naturally draw it all down together.

The other thing, and one of the few things that jumped out in my memory from the last season, was that I find Dany had a personality change that is completely off-putting. Maybe it's a natural progression that I missed, or maybe it's intentional because she's gonna go cry or something, I don't know.

At minimum, it will probably be at least another three weeks before we've binged through the rest of the show, so for the next few weeks I'll have this "experiment" going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

My gf never saw the show so we started watching from the beginning a few weeks ago (the ep we watched earlier today was the red wedding, which is probably peak GOT).

I say that because I just solo watched episode 8.1, and going from 3.9 to 8.1 feels like watching two entirely different shows with two totally different tones that just happen to have the same characters. One where anyone can die unceremoniously, with a dozen plot threads at once, and another that feels almost like one of those current reboots of old 90s shows, with all the main plot-shield characters together reminiscing about things (between out of place joke drops) that happened before the show ended the first time.

I don't know how much of it is me literally watching this immediately after binging old episodes, or the actual delay before this final season, or just the inevitable result of having to tie up a massive multi-arc series (built on subverting traditional expectations) in a way that has a traditional narrative conclusion with finality. Or maybe it's just the different intro throwing me off.

Like I can't necessarily put my finger on it, but a lot of it felt really forced - like Arya had at least three "major" reunions, except without the emotional weight of even one major reunion. Maybe it's the nature of not having source material beyond the big bullet points, and I think GRRM is so despondent over writing because of how difficult it is for him to naturally draw it all down together.

The other thing, and one of the few things that jumped out in my memory from the last season, was that I find Dany had a personality change that is completely off-putting. Maybe it's a natural progression that I missed, or maybe it's intentional because she's gonna go cry or something, I don't know.

At minimum, it will probably be at least another three weeks before we've binged through the rest of the show, so for the next few weeks I'll have this "experiment" going.

The red part is really accurate about how these later seasons have been.

I went and watched popular youtube videos uploaded since last night, and you know what? Zero temptation to watch a full episode. The opening credits,

Spoiler

Bran staring down Jaime, and Sam getting that emotional gut punch during his meeting with Daenerys were the only scenes that I enjoyed.

Edited by SorceressPol

So is this is game of thrones discussion thread now?

If so, my thoughts on the last episode. It was what I expected. More reunions and building up. I actually think this next episode won't have too much either. I think it will be more buildup and episode 3 is when it will hit the fan.

Yeah, this episode kind of felt like part two of last week.

There are just too many reunions and character matchups, so they had to break it into two hours. 

Only a few characters have had the time in these two episodes to show off much depth. Tormund is just 100% comic relief at this point.

Also going to throw it out there that I didn't need to see the sex scene, it could have done a hard cut much, much sooner.

Next week is going to be the big battle that these two hours (and I suppose the entire long-burn subplot beginning with the prologue). Either half the cast is going to die at minimum or the narrative will have completely abandoned its roots in an effort to swiftly conclude.

27 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

I don't even have the motivation to look up clips from this week's episode. 

don't. the only real payoff in this ep was the big reveal to dany about jon's lineage. well, the scene where brienne was knighted was also kinda fulfilling. and when bran said to jamie "the things we do for love" i let out a chuckle. but that's really it.

The show definitely went from a somewhat grounded political medieval fantasy to something more akin to an action adventure with clear-cut good and evil. It's become a pop culture machination -- one where we're expected to 'stan our queen' and blow our shit every episode with some grand revelation. The measured pacing and intricacies ended with George, who started the books with serious intention rather than what we're getting with writers handling what is essentially a big-budget blockbuster.

The pacing issues seem directly related to how much source material they had to work off of. Like it's kind of obvious even having not read any of the series when they jumped from finished source material to half-written source material, and then from half-written source material to bullet points.

It was as if they made a conscious choice not to flesh it out any more than how it was given to them.

8 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

The pacing issues seem directly related to how much source material they had to work off of. Like it's kind of obvious even having not read any of the series when they jumped from finished source material to half-written source material, and then from half-written source material to bullet points.

It was as if they made a conscious choice not to flesh it out any more than how it was given to them.

Exactly, and I can't say I blame them. I'm sure the decision not to tinker further was in respect for George and his eventual conclusion.

But also time and budget. I don't think they wanted to do this show any longer than they had to.

The counter to that is that things have felt super rushed the past season or so, so like the Jon/Dany relationship didn't feel earned and the many interactions over the past two episodes and even last season felt super forced.

Or like the A-team crew last season that went with Jon when the dragon died and all that. Didn't feel right.

that was

unbelievable

i am shook

panic attack all episode

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

10 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Watched tonights episode. Was disappointed.

Yep.  I was hoping we get some story that would provide substance to the White Walkers as something other than just zombies with a command hierarchy.  But they were just zombies with a command hierarchy.

Won't be sleeping tonight. Too many zombie chase scenes to be giving my brain ideas to traumatize me as I sleep. This episode actually made my stomach hurt from stress. This would have been better though if the characters weren't so dumb and had decent strategies. Or just basic shit like not letting your dragon get close to the ground when a bunch of zombies are waking up in your vicinity. Stuff like that takes me out of the story because it's such a boneheaded thing to do. I did like this episode, but there always seemed to be a banner hanging over everything with the words, "WHO LIVES AND WHO DIES?" because of how the camera kept panning to major characters in any ambiguous circumstances. That is so daytime soap opera. Maybe the zombie storyline not getting wrapped up properly isn't bothering me because I had little expectation of them pulling it off well due to how short this season was. This on top of the King's Landing drama is too much for these writers to handle without a full book at their disposal.

Spoiler

:( Lyanna made me cry. 

I've definitely noticed in rewatching the show that for budget reasons or whatever, they've always conspicuously chosen to show him just here or there, outisde of the occasional "fuck yeah giant wolf" scene, just so you don't forget he exists.

And then they had him charge with Jorah who he never met, and then never saw him again.

Battle scenes were great good stuff, dragon battle was great. why did they use the dothraki like that tho wtf, I guess they dint have money for horse battles, anyways man I wish we got more insight on the ice king or have him fight a one on one fight show some skills kind of a meh ending for him. Now they have no army cerci will kill everyone and be queen the end 

Good ep was really into it untill the end I dint like the night king going out like that 

2 hours ago, StarPanda said:

Battle scenes were great good stuff, dragon battle was great. why did they use the dothraki like that tho wtf, I guess they dint have money for horse battles, anyways man I wish we got more insight on the ice king or have him fight a one on one fight show some skills kind of a meh ending for him. Now they have no army cerci will kill everyone and be queen the end 

Good ep was really into it untill the end I dint like the night king going out like that 

Yeah, I could see the budget got spent on the dragons, but when that happens, you gotta be creative so that doesn't show, i.e. Dothraki being sent off to die for no good reason, having less lighting to hide the flaws, and just rushing this whole thing. That requires out of the box thinking though, and the directors/writers do not have that ability.

9 hours ago, enad said:

Yep.  I was hoping we get some story that would provide substance to the White Walkers as something other than just zombies with a command hierarchy.  But they were just zombies with a command hierarchy.

you all already got explained what the fucking white walkers were in previous seasons

bran literally fuckin showed ya'll how the fuckin night king was made

and I'M the pot head? I remember this?
the fuck kind of drugs r yall on

xanax is bad mhkay

8 hours ago, stilgar said:

Why the fuck did they use cavalry against an undead horde? Why did they have one trench? Why was no one raining dragon glass tipped arrows into said horde? Why was no one manning the walls?

You try commanding troops to hail a storm of arrows at a void of darkness and fog

1 hour ago, The_Hound said:

you all already got explained what the fucking white walkers were in previous seasons

bran literally fuckin showed ya'll how the fuckin night king was made

and I'M the pot head? I remember this?
the fuck kind of drugs r yall on

xanax is bad mhkay

Yea and it was a dumb throwaway scene which provided no insight other than they were the blank slate  creations of another shoehorned character(s) who also received no screentime substance. It's bad and lazy writing no matter how much you want to make the fangirl squeeeeeees.

Edited by enad

Also want to take a moment to acknowledge the deus ex Arya, who somehow got that close to the Night King without any of the White Walkers who were just looking on stopping her or doing much of anything.  She just sort of leaps at him from absolutely nowhere.  The easiest thing in the world would have been for her to use her many-faced power as a narrative explanation, but the writers are so bad they can't even remember what abilities the characters have been given.

Edited by enad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Hound said:

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIII MAH NIGGA DA HOUND STILL IN THIS

WE IN THIS

WE GOT THIS

CLEGANE BOWL 2019

Hide contents

FINAL  BOSS CERCEI

GET REKT BITCH

You seem like the person that would say this irl

32 minutes ago, enad said:

Also want to take a moment to acknowledge the deus ex Arya, who somehow got that close to the Night King without any of the White Walkers who were just looking on stopping her or doing much of anything.  She just sort of leaps at him from absolutely nowhere.  The easiest thing in the world would have been for her to use her many-faced power as a narrative explanation, but the writers are so bad they can't even remember what abilities the characters have been given.

i have to assume they're saving the faces for cersei / red keep infiltration. at least they'd better be, after not touching it in 803. also, arya's the most ninja who ever ninja'd in all of westeros, because she spent a few months getting hit with sticks at the house of bbw. and there's also the part where half of the cast only exists to keep her in the game. i guess that means she's azor ahai as well.