UnevenEdge

Doom thread

NaBarney

8 hours ago, cyberbully said:

I forgot all about this back and forth and since I'm about to take a morning soak and smoke I decided to provide a pic. There is an unmistakable green hue. 

Now I know since it doesn't look like gak you'll say it's fine but no matter. I won't drink it....well often. I'm sure I'm still ingesting it at some point eating out or when I use ice but....

IMG_20191105_063043.jpgit 

It really just looks like clean water. Maybe if you held a dinking glass of it up to the light?

3 hours ago, NaBones said:

It really just looks like clean water. Maybe if you held a dinking glass of it up to the light?

I don't really own glasses. Just a bunch of mugs and fast food cups which all throw the color off. The only time it's evident is in the tub and it didn't convert well in the pic. So I only did this because you asked and I remembered months later. 

Still not drinking it and no one else does either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, NaBoomer said:

Considering I already posted the water and the pic was unsatisfactory, I can only post this lame excuse they offered last year....Which I recall hearing the same thing several years before.  

But yeah....It stinks, has an odd color and tastes funny, but it's fiiiiine.

Literally burns your fucking throat.  

http://www.kten.com/story/39715324/tis-the-season-for-unpleasant-water

3 hours ago, Radical Left said:

Considering I already posted the water and the pic was unsatisfactory

On 11/5/2019 at 7:26 PM, cyberbully said:

The only time it's evident is in the tub and it didn't convert well in the pic. 

4 hours ago, Radical Left said:

I can only post this lame excuse they offered last year

Why can't you just post a pic of it in a clear plastic bottle?

The article said it's safe and fine a bunch of times

• D'oh 2

41 minutes ago, NaBoomer said:

Why can't you just post a pic of it in a clear plastic bottle?

The article said it's safe and fine a bunch of times

It also says it stinks, has an odd color, and has a terrible taste....But let's just pretend it is "fine"....Now without even considering why I won't drink it, think....Why would I drink anything that smells, looks and tastes bad, even if it won't kill me.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

This got me feeling doomsy.  I don’t live in Ohio, but I cannot help but wonder what other States will follow suit 

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20191113/ohio-house-passes-bill-it-says-will-protect-studentsrsquo-religious-liberties-at-school?template=ampart

That will last until a Muslim student requests a moment for Mecca or some Wiccans to request a room for after-school study sessions. Then it will be 'further further clarified' that only acceptable things that don't cause a disturbance to the good little boys and girls of ChristianWorld will be protected. :| 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

That will last until a Muslim student requests a moment for Mecca or some Wiccans to request a room for after-school study sessions. Then it will be 'further further clarified' that only acceptable things that don't cause a disturbance to the good little boys and girls of ChristianWorld will be protected. :| 

it won’t even take all that. As soon as Muslim and Jewish kids expect the law to apply to them too, it will all fall apart 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-18/california-cuts-state-water-project-allocation-to-5-percent

We are experiencing climate change whiplash in real time with extreme swings between wet and dry conditions,” read a statement from Department of Water Resources Director Karla Nemeth.

The American Southwest has experienced its driest 22-year period in 1,200 years, research shows.

“Reservoirs are low, the snowpack is low, so we’re not going to see much refilling of those reservoirs as the snow melts, and as a result we just have less water to go around"

Earlier this week, officials with the State Water Resources Control Board announced that Californians significantly backslid in their efforts to save, and in fact used 2.6% more water in January compared with the same month in the baseline year of 2020.

In July, Gov. Gavin Newsom called on all state residents to voluntarily reduce water usage by 15%. Californians came far short of that target, with about 6.4% savings between July and the end of January, data show. Yet Newsom has so far stopped short of instituting mandatory restrictions

“These are absolutely unprecedented scenarios we’re finding ourselves in.”

Across the state, supplies are shrinking rapidly in response to the drying conditions. As of Friday, the statewide Sierra snowpack, most of which came from the heavy snowstorms in December, had fallen to 55% of average for the date, officials said.

Last year, drought conditions compelled officials to shut down Lake Oroville’s hydroelectric power plant for the first time since its completion in 1967.

On Friday, the Department of Water Resources said it will also submit a revised “temporary urgency change petition” that will enable deviations from typical water rights and usages through June, essentially allowing officials to release less water into the Delta and conserve stored water in the Oroville, Shasta and Folsom reservoirs. They are also planning to refill a notch in the Emergency Drought Salinity Barrier in the Delta, which will allow for reduced flows from upstream reservoirs through the end of November.

Some experts have been critical of the state’s strategy and response.

“They don’t really have a plan, other than to pray for rain and let other folks bear the worst consequences of their failures to plan,” said Doug Obegi, a senior attorney at the Natural Resources Defense Council.

Obegi also expressed concern that the temporary urgency change petition would enable the state to forgo water quality standards in the Delta that “protect farms, cities and fish and wildlife.”

“If the TUCP is granted it is likely that the violation of water quality objectives will lead to greater harmful algal blooms that threaten communities in Stockton and elsewhere, not to mention native fish and wildlife,” he said via email.

Officials have fewer and fewer options after the dry start to the year. March, typically the last month of California’s rainy season, is likely to end on a dry note, according to a precipitation outlook from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Drought Monitor shows that much of the state is under severe drought conditions, with an increasingly large area slipping into the “extreme drought” classification.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/las-vegas-turns-on-low-level-lake-mead-pumps-designed-to-avoid-a-day-zero

Lake Mead holds back water for three U.S. states — Arizona, California, Nevada — as well as Mexico and several Native American tribes. A future in which Lake Mead declines so much that water could no longer pass through Hoover Dam would mark a large-scale crisis for the entire Southwest. 

In addition, there would be cascading ecological impacts across a watershed that has already been significantly manipulated and a river that rarely reaches its delta. 

It is not out of the realm of possibility, Mulroy added, that Lake Mead could one day fall so low that water could not pass through Hoover Dam. Her assessment of the situation came down to this: “I would work from the premise that it is going to happen, not that it's not going to happen.”

“This isn't a drought any more,” said Brad Udall, a senior water and climate research scientist at Colorado State University. “Let's not fool ourselves. It's aridification. It's the long-term drying and warming of the American West. And it's going to continue, and it's going to get worse.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/27/us/water-intake-exposed-lake-mead-drought-climate/index.html

Across the West, extreme drought is already taking a toll this year and summertime heat hasn’t even arrived yet. 

“This is a crisis. This is unprecedented. We have never done anything like this before and because we haven’t seen this situation happen like this before, we don’t have enough water to meet normal demands for the six million people living in the State Water Project dependent areas,” said Adel Hagekhalil, general manager of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, noting that conservation needs to begin in earnest now since water usage typically increases during the summer months.

The West is in its worst drought in centuries, scientists reported Monday. A study published in February found the period from 2000 to 2021 was the driest in for the region 1,200 years.

The human-caused climate crisis has made the West’s megadrought 72% worse, the study noted.

“We’re kind of in some uncharted territory, socially and economically,” Justin Mankin, assistant professor of geography at Dartmouth College and co-lead of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Drought Task Force, told CNN in March.

https://psmag.com/environment/yellow-seriously-let-mellow-bathroom-toilet-water-conservation-94758

Nothing has changed about people's attitudes, everyone is still acting like they are totally disconnected, they simply "need" their daily cheeseburgers and prissy "cleanliness" habits, psychological satisfiers which consume enormous, irreplaceable chunks of the natural world despite providing no substantial material benefit to anyone. People can't bear to imagine willingly foregoing any of this -- burgers, lawns and so on -- not while they are making so much more than the minimum wage! Ho ho, it is the poors who need fret about such things and go without! The slightly-less poor can continue paying for the right to waste endless water on their base frivolities because it is still artificially affordable, its price not reflecting the actual value and rapidly increasing rarity of clean fresh water in this country and on this planet. 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:59 AM, Poof said:

There's solutions nabby they're just putting them off like americans always do until it hits their $$ and they have to

No, I think it's going to stay more or less this way, everything getting only slightly worse around the margins year after year with the true cost continually being put on credit, for a relatively few more short years, and then when the rich people have their homes and mid-term futures fortified and secured and the system (IE "drinking water in LA") can no longer sustain itself, the bridge falls apart the shock hits fast and hard and fast leaving the unequipped masses to scrap and grub with each other in a bloody churn to consume whatever is left.

The pathetic short term inevitable is obviously - fuck any and all environmental regs all of a sudden, because omg this climate is wild and it's an emergency so now we desperately need to suck up every last drop of water from every dried crack of rock that we can (these cows get thirsty!), and then capitalize the coastline and darken the skies and slurry the seas with industrial desal pollution and liquidated dolphin meat. 

https://www.kqed.org/science/28668/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-problems

https://archive.ph/MDJgi

Edited by Nablonsky
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 2

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Should I tell Nabby that LA's MWD is instituting a regulation that limits to landscaping water to just once a week with the possibility that, by August, there will be a complete ban on outdoor watering?

I'll try, but it's not gonna be as tearful and heartfelt.

West coast hell scape taking measures to seem as if it cares that it's crumbling infrastructure and defeated people who may soon be without the necessary hydration needed to literally live. 

Meanwhile these regulations will never meet the stys of the shit siphoning hogs in living spaces that should be used for 6 families at least.   Clownshitting the very nonsense they expect us to believe will save this planet from the death sentence that cows and California exclusively has given it 

Edited by André Toulon
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I'll try, but it's not gonna be as tearful and heartfelt.

West coast hell scape taking measures to seem as if it cares that it's crumbling infrastructure and defeated people may soon be without the necessary hydration needed to literally live. 

Meanwhile these regulations will never meet the stys of the shit siphoning hogs in living spaces that should be used for 6 families at least.   Clownshitting the very nonsense they expect us to believe will save this planet from the death sentence that cows and California exclusively has given it 

By George, I think you've done it!

5 hours ago, Nablonsky said:

No, I think it's going to stay more or less this way, everything getting only slightly worse around the margins year after year with the true cost continually being put on credit, for a relatively few more short years, and then when the rich people have their homes and mid-term futures fortified and secured and the system (IE "drinking water in LA") can no longer sustain itself, the bridge falls apart the shock hits fast and hard and fast leaving the unequipped masses to scrap and grub with each other in a bloody churn to consume whatever is left.

The pathetic short term inevitable is obviously - fuck any and all environmental regs all of a sudden, because omg this climate is wild and it's an emergency so now we desperately need to suck up every last drop of water from every dried crack of rock that we can (these cows get thirsty!), and then capitalize the coastline and darken the skies and slurry the seas with industrial desal pollution and liquidated dolphin meat. 

https://www.kqed.org/science/28668/why-isnt-desalination-the-answer-to-all-californias-water-problems

https://archive.ph/MDJgi

they're still cutting corners, but that doesn't mean the technology is no good. They aren't applying it properly.

You have to vertically integrate a project that you scale up in tandem with solar farms in the mojave otherwise have emissions. Then you don't do reverse osmosis which is what they're doing. You do evaporation in a big massive facility outside of town that utilizes large surface area for the evaporation beds so it will use much less energy (at the expense of facility size). They can completely dehydrate the seawater this way leaving just the solids. I think it would have lithium so you could probably sell it to elon's friends. But since it's dry material, it's easier to store, move, and dispose of. No brine.

And since you're using all the water you pump, you extract half as much.

The building can also be built to harvest solar and wind energy. Heat produced on site by renewables would have the advantage of never having to be turned into electricity. You can use the heat directly for the application. So even though it's a small amount that won't cover the energy needs of the plant, it would be more significant than you'd think.

Edited by Poof