UnevenEdge

FLCL (FOOLY COOLY) PROGRESSIVE EPISODE #1 DISCUSSION!!

3 hours ago, elfie said:

These feel more like different directors' interpretations on the FLCL mythos.  So changes are welcome.

I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be a different universe.  Especially not simply because Haruko's hair color changed.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Or how he was wearing a skirt. And then his underwear got compared to panties in a conversation. Oh, this new season.

In a way, it seems "Progressive" compared to what's come before, but in a good way. Hidomi feels like a take on the FLCL protagonist fit for the last couple of years, combining the struggles of adolescence with a big dose of millennial cynicism. She has no idea what she wants to be, and I have to wonder if it's because she feels the older generations have fucked her over to an extent. The fact that she's just sitting there in her room, watching apparently rotoscoped footage of an idol concert without emotion, seems to drive home the point, as does her dreams of becoming a zombie and/or giant robot and eventually collapsing into nothing. If you're not an unironic Posadist, that might be the way to go.

I ended up being enamored by this premiere. While it may have leaned a little too much on the references (although I will say, if that was a text message reenactment of the manga scene describing "fooly cooly" from the original show's first episode, it was really cute), it did have some instant classic moments, like the aforementioned opening and skirt scene, the teacher showing pr0n to her students, and then her reveal as Haruko wearing a skinsuit at the end. I got up off my seat and cheered at that one. This really does feel like a new version of the show anime fans of my generation can call their own. I hope it gets even better over the next five episodes. :D

Are millennials a thing in Japan?  And if so, are they like the ones in America?

I dunno, the skirt scene was pretty cringeworthy.  I agree there were some other instant classic scenes, though, and with most of the rest of what you said.

Edited by ben0119

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

You mean horrible moms back to back!

Hmmm, not sure how Izuku's mom is horrible, but Hidomi's, even if she does seem to care for her daughter quite a bit in her own hyper way, is admittedly a little questionable with that knife! LOL

Edited by DangerMouse

11 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Haha, no. These are from tweets linked by Xanthe Huynh. Must be from their live watch or something.

I didn't know who that was.  Looked her up.  So she's the VA for Hidomi.  She's cute!

Deu--5yVAAE2RsG?format=jpg

She has the headphones! :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading through comments, it almost sounds like you missed the kid talking about sex with teacher. Combined with the bandage and the vespa foreshadowing... Even though some of you did guess at Haruko.

Idk. This episode felt like it was trying too hard to be FLCL. And, I'm guessing since we've already established some stuff from the original, this just felt like it was all too logical. Still interested in how the story progresses, and what themes it'll play with.

And more importantly, if any of the stuff in the ending will be relevant.

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I didn't know who that was.  Looked her up.  So she's the VA for Hidomi.  She's cute!

Deu--5yVAAE2RsG?format=jpg

She has the headphones! :D

Oh yeah, I should have included who she played lol, woops :D

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Reading through comments, it almost sounds like you missed the kid talking about sex with teacher. Combined with the bandage and the vespa foreshadowing... Even though some of you did guess at Haruko.

Idk. This episode felt like it was trying too hard to be FLCL. And, I'm guessing since we've already established some stuff from the original, this just felt like it was all too logical. Still interested in how the story progresses, and what themes it'll play with.

And more importantly, if any of the stuff in the ending will be relevant.

I noticed it and I'm sure others did too.  I doubt he actually had sex with her and I'm pretty sure it was just more of Haruko's shenanigans, since he had a bandage on his head.

That opening sequence wasn't like any of the past FLCL stuff.  Was pretty damn dark and disturbing.  Jinyu didn't act too logical LOL.  At first she says she is sorry for not killing Hidomi, then she says she is treating Ide's wounds and shows up at Hidomi house to "take responsibility."

Yeah we'll see how it turns out.  But pretty good so far I'd say.

• Like 1

Nah. Just about everything with Jinyu seemed like it was trying to copy Haruko's actions. In fact, the scene with Haruko and Atomsk makes me wonder if Jinyu is some sort of split-off counterpart to Haruko. Kinda looked like Haruko finally caught him, and couldn't handle the power.

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be a different universe.  Especially not simply because Haruko's hair color changed.

I didn't say it was in a different universe. I'm saying it's a different storyteller.  Like the Space Dandy episodes.

4 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Haha, no. These are from tweets linked by Xanthe Huynh. Must be from their live watch or something.

Indeed much of the NYAV Post cast and crew along with Maki, the head of IG development in america, were present in the studio to live-tweet.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Well, the opinions I saw are very scattersho-...

Actually, it's Jman. I'm not bothering with an explanation.

I was expecting a very divisive opinion regardless.

You could say "divisive", but while the opinions I saw were mostly all over the place, I didn't find anyone who said it sucked. Still, my limited view of the anime community probably isn't the best gauge of commercial appeal. B|

16 hours ago, elfie said:

I didn't say it was in a different universe. I'm saying it's a different storyteller.  Like the Space Dandy episodes.

Though based on what the scene in the ED seems to imply, that Haruko isn't exactly the Haruko of the first series. It seems like she and Jinyu are either halves of the original Haruko or Haruko has changed some from trying to take the power of ATOMSK. That's my speculation anyway.

14 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Those "spoilers" were the original animation for the ED, not future episode clips, you ignorant loon.

1. It still doesn't excuse how these are clearly depicting events that have either happened in the past, or events that will happen in this show.

2. Don't fuckin insult me.

15 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's more like Naota's the father and the mother's just some girl he banged after getting over his three main love interests.

//> AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO UUUGHGGGH or maybe its no brows kid  , why was she breaking plates it was one thing if the robot did it but her she did it just to be a bitch ./

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, elfie said:

Guys, Mamimi being the mother is debunked. In the credits, the mother is referred to as another name, despite the chance she may have legally changed it (with her history of being homeless and an arson, I would believe it).

//> so how did she end up on that meteorite ? did she use the robot to go out and look for naouta cause he went out to look for haruno ? /

9 minutes ago, //>wagz./ said:

//> so how did she end up on that meteorite ? did she use the robot to go out and look for naouta cause he went out to look for haruno ? /

... She wound up on a meteorite??  Must've been something I missed. Oh well at least this ep is

FREE TO VIEW NOW ONLINE AT ADULTSWIM.COM! NO LOGIN REQUIRED!

Edited by elfie

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

... She wound up on a meteorite??  Must've been something I missed. Oh well at least this ep is

FREE TO VIEW NOW ONLINE AT ADULTSWIM.COM! NO LOGIN REQUIRED!

//> yeah during the credits unless i misinterpreted her surroundings it looked like she was popping a squat while smoking her never knows best ./ 

On 6/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, Gyaos said:

I want to like these shows, but I just don't think they're for me.

I'm not even drunk and I still don't understand half of the shit that happened in this episode.

Well I just saw it, and it was a lot of weird stuff. It's kind of FLCL's thing. Lotta nostalgia packed into this first episode.

It looks slick. I need to see a few episodes before I can tell if they're going anywhere with this or it's just going to be the writers throwing random stuff out there and calling it a day.

If I have to call the plot now, I'd say the somewhat numb and uncaring MC will end up learning to care about stuff by the end of the season.

If I had to guess how this is going to do in the ratings... I'd say decently for week one due to the advertising, then a big drop off for the rest of the run. I don't really see this having any mainstream appeal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elfie said:

"Not continue to advertise it"?? They been advertising it up the wazoo!!  They must;ve used up all the maximum time and effort to advertise this thing! They co-funded it anyway!

My bad. I did a dumb and forgot I don't actually watch [as] much anymore to notice these things. Remembered all the ads leading up to it, but hadn't yet seen or realized they are in fact doing a "next time" ad as well.

2 hours ago, elfie said:

They spent around a million dollars to play an FLCL ad during the NBA Playoffs, which garnered 14 million views!

And the ratings show that it did Jack Effing Squat.

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

I'm not sure on this yet. I'll give it another episode to see how things kind of shake out, but so far I'm a bit underwhelmed.

That kid in a skirt scene was cringe. Seriously, cringe.

Did his panties make you uncomfortablexD