UnevenEdge

DeMarco tweeted this earlier today; let the speculation run wild!!!

38 minutes ago, Jman said:

Star Blazers 2199 May be from 2012, but has production values that completely and utterly dwarf those of every other show on the block.

Also its sequel came out this year.

You mean this?? https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=18939

This is a Unicorn-style edit of theatrical movies. But then again, so was 2199, to be fair.

And they wouldn't be dub premieres, so I'm still sticking with the 2:30 AM slot, at least at first.

9 minutes ago, Jman said:

It’s getting a Netflix show.  We have enough isekai crap.

That and more people need to see Star Blazers 2199.

We haven't had a true Isekai on the block since SAO II ended in September 2015--unless you count Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

I don't see how anything that's been on since then can really be considered Isekai. Black Clover fails because it only has one world where magic is everything, not the "other" world!

I think this could be a good replacement for Space Dandy when the time comes. I’m pretty sure Gundam Wing is coming at some point so it would make a good pairing with that. Definitely not the 12:30 AM timeslot, it’s not going to engage the Shonen audience since it’s a drama 

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You mean this?? https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=18939

This is a Unicorn-style edit of theatrical movies. But then again, so was 2199, to be fair.

And they wouldn't be dub premieres, so I'm still sticking with the 2:30 AM slot, at least at first.

Yeah, this.  They’re essentially serials like the old Flash Gordon ones shown in theaters.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

Ah, very well. So 2199 and 2202 have great production values (think Gundam Unicorn) because they were first released theatrically in Japan!

I can dig it. These need to be on Toonami. Re:Zero would be a great show to lead into Black Clover, but otherwise, not so much.

Edited by OwlChemist81

14 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Only if he’s also voiced by Bryce! 

Are all the girls in love with him and he’s perfect at everything?

Yup and the harems in both are way larger than in the pics. We're talkin like 10 girls each. The smartphone guy literally gets the power to use every skill on the planet. Like curing all illness and disease. He cures blindness easily.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I think this could be a good replacement for Space Dandy when the time comes. I’m pretty sure Gundam Wing is coming at some point so it would make a good pairing with that. Definitely not the 12:30 AM timeslot, it’s not going to engage the Shonen audience since it’s a drama 

Could also be June 2nd when/if we lose GITS. That means that, barring an Independence Day marathon, the first 9 episodes would air on TV before the DVD/BD release of the first 13.

Gundam Wing I'm picking to replace Space Dandy in August, but at 3 AM? Hmmmm...

Edited by OwlChemist81

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

We haven't had a true Isekai on the block since SAO II ended in September 2015--unless you count Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Some people actually don't regard SAO as a "true" isekai because it takes place in a virtual world, rather than a completely-disconnected alternate. If you have that opinion, the only one to ever air on Toonami is... uh, InuYasha?

Also, get that shit about the smartphone show and Death March out of here. If you want a true isekai show for Toonami that doesn't suck, how about Knight's & Magic? It has good robot fights, the character development isn't bad, and with how utterly wholesome Ernesti is as well as how he affects the world around him, he might just end up being the hero this block doesn't know it needs. While I didn't love it, it managed to hold my attention for the entire run.

• Like 4

I'd say anything where you're from our world, but the story takes place in another world.....virtual or otherwise.... is Isekai.

Other than Hack, Inuyasha... and maybe Big O.... no Isekai on Toonami.

SAO literally made the Isekai genre popular again. The reason so many shitty Isekai are churned out with OP protags that look like Kirito is because they keep doing well. That god awful smartphone anime is getting a second season.

Without SAO you probably don't have Re Zero, Konosuba, No Game no Life, Ovelord, Gate and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm gonna say no on Knights and Magic. I didn't hate it but I only made it about 7 or 8 episodes in before losing interest. And after looking it up on MAL.. it's ranked worse than Dimension W and drastically less popular. Yes, drastically less popular than DW.

I just don't think it makes sense to air stuff on Toonami that has zero fan base unless we're talking about filling the back slots.

For people who hate sports anime y'all are sure crazy for stats.  :P

I think you guys are focused on the wrong Thunderbolt.  The "questionable" slot will go to Thunderbolt Fantasy, the most badass action, decapitating, dismembering, blood-spraying, sword-and-vapery puppets this side of China, scripted by the Booch himself.  (Yeah, I know it hasn't been licensed for anything but streaming and there's no dub, but no one knows anything yet, so I can still dream)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I think you guys are focused on the wrong Thunderbolt.  The "questionable" slot will go to Thunderbolt Fantasy, the most badass action, decapitating, dismembering, blood-spraying, sword-and-vapery puppets this side of China, scripted by the Booch himself.  (Yeah, I know it hasn't been licensed for anything but streaming and there's no dub, but no one knows anything yet, so I can still dream)

Plus it'd be confusing like Demarco said because it would instantly remind people of the failure that was Wulin Warriors.

As for the problem with airing RE:Zero before the home video release comes out, I don't see why that's worth worrying about. SAO started as a dub premiere too until episodes started airing after their home video release, and nobody complained then.

10 hours ago, Daos said:

Oh the way I read Owls statement was like he was confirming that the new show airing was an older show and that it was Star Blazers.

In another world with my smartphone is 100 percent trash. Not even the enjoyable kind.

Wildly OP MC with no personality that looks like Kirito does OP things and defeats everyone effortlessly while assembling a massive harem. There's no plot. 

A similar anime came out last season called "Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody"  It's almost identical to Smartphone except slightly enjoyable.

Pic 1 is smartphone. Pic 2 is Death March

Isekai-wa-Smartphone-Season-2-Release-Da

deathmarch-1.jpg

Thanks for clarifying these shows as two different ones. If it weren't for you, I would've assumed they were the SAME show!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Plus it'd be confusing like Demarco said because it would instantly remind people of the failure that was Wulin Warriors.

As for the problem with airing RE:Zero before the home video release comes out, I don't see why that's worth worrying about. SAO started as a dub premiere too until episodes started airing after their home video release, and nobody complained then.

There’s also a Funimation stream of it starting on May 8th. I don’t think that a home video release is a big deal, but a stream is. A lot of people seem to be excited to watch this show in English and if Toonami doesn’t start it first, most of the attention will be there. But then again, I don’t think it matters much from a ratings perspective, it’s just that it would be nice if Toonami could have a dub premiere so viewers have something brand new to watch 

What I find interesting is that Funi is only streaming it one episode at a time, or at least it says that on their website. This would suggest the same deal as with Attack on Titan S2 where it goes up some days after the Toonami broadcast.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 5:36 PM, brianycpht said:

Only if he’s also voiced by Bryce! 

Are all the girls in love with him and he’s perfect at everything?

Smart Phone MC is Josh Grelle 

Death March MC is Justin Briner

The Smart Phone dub is the better of the two IMO but Death March has more of a story to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

FUNIMATION usually DOES stream only 1 episode of their simuldubs at once. They did that with Star Blazers 2199, believe it or not...

That’s true of simuldubs and shows they lump in with those despite not being simuldubs (Lupin and Starblazers) but they tend to post shows right before Blu-ray releases in batches. So it’s a bit unusual for a CR dub to go up one episode at a time when the show came out two years ago.

24 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That’s true of simuldubs and shows they lump in with those despite not being simuldubs (Lupin and Starblazers) but they tend to post shows right before Blu-ray releases in batches. So it’s a bit unusual for a CR dub to go up one episode at a time when the show came out two years ago.

Also of note, no further episodes have been scheduled so far 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 5:49 AM, Sketch said:

Smart Phone MC is Josh Grelle 

Death March MC is Justin Briner

The Smart Phone dub is the better of the two IMO but Death March has more of a story to it.

Death March was enjoyable for generic harem trash. Smartphone was not.

On 4/18/2018 at 1:45 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

FUNIMATION usually DOES stream only 1 episode of their simuldubs at once. They did that with Star Blazers 2199, believe it or not...

They’re still doing it.  It’s why I’ve taken to watching the newest episode on Saturday mornings before going to the gym.

So we have a premiere date for more Attack on Titan: July 22. This is a little later than I was expecting, and it's also on a Sunday, which locks Toonami out of airing a same-day simuldub. Of course, will Funimation actually do one for this series? I'm not sure, but if the goal is to try and do the same for all the extremely popular franchises they have (My Hero Academia and Tokyo Ghoul), it's in the realm of possibility. I just don't know if Toonami would mind airing it on a delay.

There's still no easy place it can air even with the new date, so I'm guessing they'd just expand to 10:00 p.m. for it. And FLCL Progressive should be rerunning by then, so they'd have absolute authority to jigger with the block however they want.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

So we have a premiere date for more Attack on Titan: July 22. This is a little later than I was expecting, and it's also on a Sunday, which locks Toonami out of airing a same-day simuldub. Of course, will Funimation actually do one for this series? I'm not sure, but if the goal is to try and do the same for all the extremely popular franchises they have (My Hero Academia and Tokyo Ghoul), it's in the realm of possibility. I just don't know if Toonami would mind airing it on a delay.

There's still no easy place it can air even with the new date, so I'm guessing they'd just expand to 10:00 p.m. for it. And FLCL Progressive should be rerunning by then, so they'd have absolute authority to jigger with the block however they want.

I hope that Toonami has a first rights deal with this. I can definitely see Funimation doing a same day dub with it and if Toonami gets it on a delay just because of the day it airs, it could further splinter the seemingly impatient AoT audience. Even being behind her sub last year took some of the wind out of the sails for the viewers who just couldn’t wait. 

Much of the cast is in LA, so that may not make a sane day dub possible.

Most likely, they’ll get it in a similar set up to last year. The contract that they got was very protective to not allow Funimation to stream ahead. For a show like this, you have to try and get a deal like that.

its too bad that they have no ability to air a small block on Sunday nights in order to do this same day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Much of the cast is in LA, so that may not make a sane day dub possible.

I don't think that's an issue anymore. Funi has consistently raised the bar when it comes to simuldubs and not letting logistics get in the way. They were able to bring back the entire main cast of Full Metal Panic! for the new season, including one actor (Hilary Haag) who works primarily for Sentai. And they did the AoT S2 dub that fast despite having actors from California involved.

At the very least, they could just ring up those actors and try to schedule tentative recording sessions for several months in advance. That can't be too hard.

• Like 1

Just now, Blatch said:

I don't think that's an issue anymore. Funi has consistently raised the bar when it comes to simuldubs and not letting logistics get in the way. They were able to bring back the entire main cast of Full Metal Panic! for the new season, including one actor (Hilary Haag) who works primarily for Sentai. And they did the AoT S2 dub that fast despite having actors from California involved.

At the very least, they could just ring up those actors and try to schedule tentative recording sessions for several months in advance. That can't be too hard.

So the only question is will Funimation try and one up Toonami by streaming the dub first. This had SUCH good potential if only it wasn’t airing on Sunday! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blatch said:

No, that actually WOULDN'T lock Toonami out of a same-day simuldub. Think about it: Japan is 14 hours ahead of Toonami. It could STILL be a Space Dandy-style premiere BEFORE Japan on July 21. For Toonami to get great ratings out of AOT S3, it almost has to be. And if FLCL is still on track to premiere at 11:30 (moving Academia to 11 and DBZKFC to Midnight) on 6/2, then with one week off for Independence Day holiday for a marathon, it would end 7/14 and open the timeslot for AOT S3 on 7/21.

But I think it might actually be more likely to replace JoJo at 12:30 and a as a non-simuldub. Much less risk there. Even so, if you know anything about Japanese TV schedules, July 22nd is kind of an odd time for a show to start, though if it has 24 episodes, it still would get done by the end of 2018 if it ran uninterrupted. Even so, it almost feels like the schedule is guided by some foreign force who would rather keep quiet about it...

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

No, that actually WOULDN'T lock Toonami out of a same-day simuldub. Think about it: Japan is 14 hours ahead of Toonami. It could STILL be a Space Dandy-style premiere BEFORE Japan on July 21.

Didn't Adult Swim partially finance Space Dandy?  I thought the whole "premiering in America before Japan" thing was due to that.  I doubt we'd see the same case with AoT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Didn't Adult Swim partially finance Space Dandy?  I thought the whole "premiering in America before Japan" thing was due to that.  I doubt we'd see the same case with AoT.

Indeed they did, and they also made topicals for it, and even asked Funi actor R. Bruce Elliot to narrate them all.  But that's all they had to do with Space Dandy. It was already created and being produced separately from them before they ever heard of it.  AoT S3 is clearly not the case here.

Edited by elfie

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 8:11 AM, Blatch said:

They're rerunning FLCL Progressive?

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So do we know if My Hero Academia was any of the three shows since Demarco said it came about last minute?

he said it is but didn't clarify which one (super psyched, confusing, in the pocket)

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They're rerunning FLCL Progressive?

most likely will rerun both seasons immediately in the same slot

On 5/6/2018 at 2:11 PM, korosu said:

he said it is but didn't clarify which one (super psyched, confusing, in the pocket)

most likely will rerun both seasons immediately in the same slot

But didn't he give out that list a while ago?  He said My Hero Academia was last minute.

Why?  The seasons aren't premiering back to back?  And rerunning in the same slot is a waste.  Probably kill ratings too.  They've been taught this lesson multiple times.

23 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

But didn't he give out that list a while ago?  He said My Hero Academia was last minute.

Why?  The seasons aren't premiering back to back?  And rerunning in the same slot is a waste.  Probably kill ratings too.  They've been taught this lesson multiple times.

"not really last minute" 

each FLCL season is 6 episodes so either we get a July 7 marathon and they rerun the season or they rerun the season and air Scavengers 1 and 2 (depending on how long 2 is, but 2 would be airing in this scenario) and FLCL Alternative would air after labor day weekend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, korosu said:

"not really last minute" 

each FLCL season is 6 episodes so either we get a July 7 marathon and they rerun the season or they rerun the season and air Scavengers 1 and 2 (depending on how long 2 is, but 2 would be airing in this scenario) and FLCL Alternative would air after labor day weekend.

Oh ok.  So is this the show that got legally delayed or was that something else?

Well that's pathetic.  I thought they were going to run straight through.  Why are they releasing them like that?  Viewing experience and ratings will suffer.  I don't want to re-watch something I just watched.  And like I said, it's a waste of a slot.  They've clearly learned nothing from what happened with Attack on Titan and Samurai Jack.

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Oh ok.  So is this the show that got legally delayed or was that something else?

Well that's pathetic.  I thought they were going to run straight through.  Why are they releasing them like that?  Viewing experience and ratings will suffer.  I don't want to re-watch something I just watched.  And like I said, it's a waste of a slot.  They've clearly learned nothing from what happened with Attack on Titan and Samurai Jack.

I think they should try to do the reruns on Sunday to get it in front of a different audience rather than the audience that just watched it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

They've clearly learned nothing from what happened with Attack on Titan and Samurai Jack.

Their rationale this time will probably be that each FLCL season is only six episodes, so they're unlikely to be pulled... even though that happened with Samurai Jack S5 after just three of them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

as far as i know, we don't know. i have a hard time believing he was told "not until april" back in january and went on to slot FLCL Progressive at 11:30 just to move it to midnight once they got MHA. the timing suggests Hulu's exclusivity deal was for two years, and i imagine FUNi would have told them that. that'd be the main legal issue, not sure what the others would be. can't really say either way since logic doesn't mean shit when it comes to many of the network's decisions.

Edited by korosu
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

1. They have their reasons for waiting 6 weeks between the seasons. Maybe it's a legal thing. Maybe the Japanese want to play their schedules before us?

2. We were told this WEEKS ago and NOW you find this out?

3. How will viewer and ratings suffer?  Each season tells a separate story with different characters and different settings.  You'll be able to watch one season without the other and not miss a thing.

4. Them rerunning FLCL 2 right after they finish it is only speculation.  So don't go acting like it's fact.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 3:06 PM, ben0119 said:

We literally found out that FLCL Seasons 2 and 3 would not be airing right after one another back in like, March.  How are you only hearing about this now?

I'd like to think that, if they did air FLCL Season 2 then rerun it right afterwards, it would be different from AoT and Samurai Jack.  AoT was 25 episodes and aired at the top of the block.  SJ was 10 episodes and was a completed story.  FLCL is 6 episodes and is only half a show.  If there's enough hype left over after Season 2 finishes airing, I imagine that would carry ratings until Season 3 begins.  If not, then it's only 6 weeks.  Besides, it makes no sense for them to shuffle the block for 6 or 7 weeks then move it right back.  We get on Toonami about quick schedule changes like that, so it would probably be better for ratings in the long run if FLCL remained where it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, elfie said:

1. They have their reasons for waiting 6 weeks between the seasons. Maybe it's a legal thing. Maybe the Japanese want to play their schedules before us?

2. We were told this WEEKS ago and NOW you find this out?

3. How will viewer and ratings suffer?  Each season tells a separate story with different characters and different settings.  You'll be able to watch one season without the other and not miss a thing.

4. Them rerunning FLCL 2 right after they finish it is only speculation.  So don't go acting like it's fact.

1. Or maybe they planned things poorly, thinking they could milk and stretch this out for all it's worth.

2. I had assumed the seasons would be airing back to back, since that would only be logical.  I didn't know how long the seasons were.   They're rerunning season 1 as a refresher for old fans and so new viewers can see it, to get everyone ready for the new seasons.  After that the next two seasons should follow.  Why do this, also seemingly to buy time, if they are just going to rerun FLCL 2 immediately afterwards instead of going right to 3?  It's retarded!  This is what I get for having yet more misplaced faith in Demarco and co. I guess. 

3. Because viewers abhor reruns, as history has shown repeatedly.  The block got cut in half because of foolishness like this.

4. Unless they have another 6 episode show to pull out of their ass, it's rerunning.  It also wouldn't make sense to interrupt the FLCL train for something else completely random.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:03 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

We literally found out that FLCL Seasons 2 and 3 would not be airing right after one another back in like, March.  How are you only hearing about this now?

I'd like to think that, if they did air FLCL Season 2 then rerun it right afterwards, it would be different from AoT and Samurai Jack.  AoT was 25 episodes and aired at the top of the block.  SJ was 10 episodes and was a completed story.  FLCL is 6 episodes and is only half a show.  If there's enough hype left over after Season 2 finishes airing, I imagine that would carry ratings until Season 3 begins.  If not, then it's only 6 weeks.  Besides, it makes no sense for them to shuffle the block for 6 or 7 weeks then move it right back.  We get on Toonami about quick schedule changes like that, so it would probably be better for ratings in the long run if FLCL remained where it was.

When was that stated?  We were told when they would air, not that they wouldn't be back to back.  Without knowing how long the seasons are, it could be presumed they're airing back to back, since that would make sense.  Why I thought Toonami would do something that makes sense, I have no idea.  The cracks in the Toonami facade revealing more and more ASA-level incompetence are starting to show more every day.

Half a show?  The two seasons are unrelated.  They are more or less their own thing, as Elfie stated.  Rerunning FLCL 2 before 3 makes no sense no matter how you to excuse or justify it.  Enough hype?  You know what kills hype?  Reruns.  I'm sure people will be raring to go and watching more after they see the same fucking thing twice in a row.  Keep in mind it's only six episodes so memories of even the first episode will be very fresh.  There was a lot of hype for Samurai Jack yet people did not want to watch that right after they just got done watching it.  Probably no anime is more hyped than Attack on Titan and people didn't want to watch immediate reruns of that either.  I don't see where placement in the block has to do with anything.  So really, your whole case is falling apart here.  "Only six weeks."  A lot of damage can be done in that time.  Shows have been moved or pulled faster than that.  No it doesn't, but that making less sense than this doesn't mean the intended scheduling plan does make sense.  Better ratings?  I doubt that.  People don't want to watch reruns, as history has shown us.  Also, casuals do not give a shit about Fooly Cooly in the first place.

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

When was that stated?

March 20 post here, with link to Youtube video here.  I'm also fairly certain people on these very forums have talked about this before, so even if you don't ever go to TDA, you should have seen this before now.

Half a show?  The two seasons are unrelated.  They are more or less their own thing , as Elfie stated.  Rerunning FLCL 2 before 3 makes no sense no matter how you to excuse or justify it.

Yeah, as much as I like Elfie, you're gonna have to give me proof from someone who's in an actual position to know that.  Considering I've given you evidence for the above, it's the least you can do for me. 

The two new seasons definitely seem to be following two different protagonists, each with their own characters, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of overarching plot that links the two of them, as well as the original FLCL, together.  Why would they announce two seasons otherwise?  Why not just one long season of 12 episodes, or just a single 6 episode season?

Enough hype?  You know what kills hype?  Reruns.  I'm sure people will be raring to go and watching more after they see the same fucking thing twice in a row.  Keep in mind it's only six episodes so memories of even the first episode will be very fresh.

Look, we don't even know if they plan to reair FLCL Season 2 right after it finishes airing.  Even if it does, there's no guarantee it does it in the same spot, either.  We can assume from past experience, though, that they most likely will reair FLCL Season 2 right after it finishes.

Your logic doesn't make sense here.  A rerun of Season 2 won't make people not watch Season 3.  If anything, it would do the opposite.  Season 3 would be something new and fresh.  People aren't so butthurt as to completely give up on Season 3 over a rerun of Season 2.

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

There was a lot of hype for Samurai Jack yet people did not want to watch that right after they just got done watching it.  Probably no anime is more hyped than Attack on Titan and people didn't want to watch immediate reruns of that either.  I don't see where placement in the block has to do with anything. 

Samurai Jack was a completed story that had no chance of continuation. There was more Attack on Titan, but everyone knew it wouldn't be coming soon.  A rerun of FLCL Season 2 at least has the benefit of there being more FLCL after the rerun ends.  The FLCL rerun is also much shorter.  I'll phrase it this way: would you rather sit through 6 weeks of reruns, or 25 weeks of reruns?

Placement on the block is everything.  Samurai Jack and Attack on Titan reran at the top of the block, which maximized the chance that ratings for the rest of the block would be affected.  FLCL would be rerunning at the fourth slot of the block.  If ratings tanked, it would only drag down ratings for what came after it, which still isn't great, but at least it isn't the whole block.  That's even assuming the rerun it at all, or decide to rerun it in it's premiere slot.

So really, your whole case is falling apart here.

Yeah, no it isn't.  You just don't read half of what I post.

"Only six weeks."  A lot of damage can be done in that time.  Shows have been moved or pulled faster than that.  No it doesn't, but that making less sense than this doesn't mean the intended scheduling plan does make sense.  Better ratings?  I doubt that.  People don't want to watch reruns, as history has shown us.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't want FLCL Season 2 to be rerun (if it were to be) in the same slot that it premieres in.  There's definitely a possibility of it pulling down ratings for the rest of the block if it does so.  But let's be honest here, that's what they're gonna do.  Moving it down in the block would definitely be a smarter choice, but it would only be for six weeks, then they move it back up again.  They're big of block stability, and keeping shows where they are.  I doubt they'd move a show for just six weeks.  The only way I could see it working is if, after FLCL Season 2 finishes it's initial airing, they move it down, rerun Season 1 first, then rerun Season 2, and move it back up.  That'd be a bit more stable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1