UnevenEdge

DeMarco tweeted this earlier today; let the speculation run wild!!!

#Toonami fans- our next three acquisitions are so exciting for me! Wish I could tell you what they are. One of them is gonna get ppl super psyched, one is gonna confuse ppl, and one is gonna be “right in the pocket” as they say. That’s all the hints I can give. Stay tuned!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

(gonna get people super psyched) = Probably some other horrible "New king of Shonen" pretender like Toriko or Boruto

(gonna confuse people) = Pop Team Epic

(right in he Pocket) = eh, Re:ZERO or something else massively popular

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mochi said:

(gonna get people super psyched) = Probably some other horrible "New king of Shonen" pretender like Toriko or Boruto

If Toonami actually thinks airing Toriko is a good idea and would actually earn them viewers, they should be straight up cancelled. Funi even stopped dubbing it after releasing about third of the episodes, so yeah. I would, however, be okay with Boruto airing, since I know I can just ignore it for as long as I want to.

Regarding the tweet... the way DeMarco says "in the pocket" could indicate that it's something we're actually expecting them to get. So maybe Tokyo Ghoul;re? It could also be more Attack on Titan or JoJo's, but those shouldn't be ready for a while. And with how he says one of them will make us psyched, I still have no reason to believe that Re:Zero isn't coming.

I'm at a loss about what the "confusing" show might be, but I have a hunch that it's more of a standard comedy.

1 minute ago, mochi said:

Disney owns the rights to Pokemon now

I know. I wasn't actually being serious, btw.

Anybody else's guess will likely be true. I'm just a casual anime viewer anyway. Half of the titles mentioned on these boards I haven't even seen.

Edited by Gyaos
  • Like 1

K I would've LIKED to post this in the last thread I made about another tweet DeMarco posted, but eh.

AoT S3 is a shoe-in. It's just a matter of when the dub is ready.  If Funimation makes a simuldub, that could be the anime "that is gonna get people super psyched!"

My prediction of "gonna confuse ppl" is Pop Team Epic? Why? Because apparently Kim Manning loves it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfie said:

K I would've LIKED to post this in the last thread I made about another tweet DeMarco posted, but eh.

AoT S3 is a shoe-in. It's just a matter of when the dub is ready.  If Funimation makes a simuldub, that could be the anime "that is gonna get people super psyched!"

My prediction of "gonna confuse ppl" is Pop Team Epic? Why? Because apparently Kim Manning loves it!

yeah I don't see a reality where "might confuse people" isn't this

• Haha 1

The "confusing" one is gonna be the hardest challenge of all to guess that we feel is correct, because it's so difficult to wrap the brain around what DeMarco considers "confusing for Toonami".  .... ALOT OF shows on the block have been that way so far!

Course the "psyched" one could be OPM S2 as well. 

... I know a Boruto dub was announced. Where are they in that?

Let's be objective here. What are our next 3 open slots?

5/5/18 - Gundam IBO's successor, 12:30 AM

6/2/18 - GITS 2nd Gig's successor, 3:30 AM

6/23/18 - DBZ Kai Final Chapters' successor, 11 PM

I would say the one people are gonna be super-psyched about would be either the 1st or the 3rd, while the one that will confuse people will be the 1st or 2nd. The one "just in the pocket" could then be the 2nd or 3rd. Also, I would say the one to replace the 3:30 AM show could rise as high as 2:30 AM.

There is also a chance that GITS is simply restarted like Bebop, which would mean that the 3rd acquisition actually replaces FLCL Progressive on 7/14/18, and if that's the case, that show is ripe to be AOT S3, which would be either that "psyched" or "just in the pocket" acquisition. And in that case, the fact that FLCL Alternative's sneak peek aired at midnight would actually be a huge clue, as it would most likely replace JoJo when it comes in its proper dubbed version, then probably in turn be replaced by Part 4: Diamonds Are Unbreakable.

Edited by OwlChemist81

2 hours ago, mochi said:

I previously joked that they might License Cutey Honey Universe.....having just seen ep 1 that's not likely anymore since the episode begins with two explicit Lesbian Sex scenes back to back and ends with yet another

That's Go Nagai for you.

• Like 2

Please no Pop Team Epic. I almost turned it off halfway through the first episode. It's basically a collection of jokes with no punchlines.

Right in the Pocket.... is this an actual saying? What does it mean? A google search comes up with no exact match. Seems like a pool reference that isn't really a saying. I'm going to assume he meant it like... expected Toonami fare. So like.. Boruto or Gundam Thunderbolt or something.

The show people will be psyched for.... Re Zero, OPM2 Mob Psycho, Tanya the Evil, Gate, Overlord... maybe Kabaneri. Can't think of anything off the top of my head other than these that people would be hyped up about. SAO 3? =P

What would confuse people.... Madoka? Food Wars? Assassination Classroom? No idea here really.

Well I'm just going to hope Demarco doesn't fuck this up again. After getting BC he's shown that absolutely everything is on the table.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daos said:

Please no Pop Team Epic. I almost turned it off halfway through the first episode. It's basically a collection of jokes with no punchlines.

Right in the Pocket.... is this an actual saying? What does it mean? A google search comes up with no exact match. Seems like a pool reference that isn't really a saying. I'm going to assume he meant it like... expected Toonami fare. So like.. Boruto or Gundam Thunderbolt or something.

The show people will be psyched for.... Re Zero, OPM2 Mob Psycho, Tanya the Evil, Gate, Overlord... maybe Kabaneri. Can't think of anything off the top of my head other than these that people would be hyped up about. SAO 3? =P

What would confuse people.... Madoka? Food Wars? Assassination Classroom? No idea here really.

Well I'm just going to hope Demarco doesn't fuck this up again. After getting BC he's shown that absolutely everything is on the table.

Since Demarco is a big music guy, I can see him meaning it with a definition I found. It means to be in perfect sync or have great timing musically. So this I think points to a simuldub that is really close with Japan, perhaps the same day. If the clues are in order of appearance, then I say we are getting a AoT day and date with Japan.

For the other 2, I’m going with ReZero and Pop Team Epic, although I’m inclined to agree with you about its structure maybe not hitting well with the audience. It basically is a 15 minute show ran twice with different voices. If they air this, I wonder if they split up the parts and have shows on the quarter hour similar to April Fools. Running that 2nd part at the very end of the night may work well to transition into the Comedy 

"One of them is gonna get ppl super psyched, one is gonna confuse ppl, and one is gonna be 'right in the pocket'"

I think we ALL know what's coming now...

552ace7ea0b61.png

But seriously though, given the options, I have to say that the show that's gonna get people "super psyched" is Re: Zero, or at least I want it to be.  Give how DeMarco thinks, "super psyched" could also just mean popular, so it could be Boruto.

I can take "gonna confuse ppl" in two different ways: the first way is that the show itself is strange or bizarre.  The second way I can take it is that the show is not something Toonami would normally air, being that it's been an action block.  Pop Team Epic seems most likely if we go with the former interpretation.  As for the latter, I'm not sure, though if I had to take it to mean anything, it would be that Toonami is airing a slice of life show.  What show that would actually be, though, I don't know.  I'll just go with Lucky Star for now, knowing full well it's not gonna be that, and move on.

The way he phrases the third one makes me think it's a reference to a show.  The first show I automatically think of is Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.  Now Adult Swim aired that 15 years ago, though given how gung ho Toonami is about airing Gundam, it wouldn't surprise me if they went for another one after IBO ended.  Only problem with this is that the show is 6 episodes long, so they'll be searching for something else real quick or reducing the block length.  If we go with the interpretation that "in the pocket" is musically related, do we assume that he's hinting at an anime about music?  Is it K-On?  We won't know yet, though I doubt it.

Edited by CaptainStarwind
  • Haha 2

I'm going to say I'm 99 percent sure it's not pop team epic. It would be ratings suicide. 

Maybe a comedy? English dub of Konosuba out of nowhere?

Demarco strikes me as somewhat delusional sometimes..... but is he delusional enough to think that people would be hyped for TG RE or Boruto? I really hope not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

I'm going to say I'm 99 percent sure it's not pop team epic. It would be ratings suicide. 

Maybe a comedy? English dub of Konosuba out of nowhere?

Demarco strikes me as somewhat delusional sometimes..... but is he delusional enough to think that people would be hyped for TG RE or Boruto? I really hope not.

Well Kim Manning really likes PTE so that almost gives it a leg up. It’s also the sort of thing AS would make themselves.

If they did Tokyo Ghoul Re now it would sort of be counter productive since Funimation has a day and dates simuldub that they are hyping. I don’t think a weeks behind simuldub would get people “psyched”. I feel like if this is what they had they should have mentioned it earlier for the people willing to wait for a them to start it. Now you have a potential for a lot of people to have already seen the first episodes. I know Clover was in the sane situation, but I don’t think they were planning on getting that from the beginning, I think it was shopped to them a few weeks  in.

Edited by brianycpht

8 hours ago, Daos said:

I'm gonna take "pretty good" with a large grain of salt from someone who refers to IBO as excellent =P

I never said IBO was "excellent" as a whole. I merely said it occasionally crosses over into "excellence," meaning that when it shines, it REALLY shines!

For example, in scenes like these:

tumblr_p3hgbrif3T1rvb8cmo3_r1_400.gif

tumblr_p36poejQVC1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

tumblr_p6f9sngNlk1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

BRILLIANT! Ditto for JoJo.

Edited by OwlChemist81

frankly if it were actually dubbed I'd like to see cute high earth defense club make it's way onto toonami someday.....just to see how uncomfortable you guys get being forced to watch a homoerotic (debateably) Gay magical boy anime

but as with all Homoerotic animes not named Yuri on Ice,  it remains unlicensed and undubbed

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mochi said:

frankly if it were actually dubbed I'd like to see cute high earth defense club make it's way onto toonami someday.....just to see how uncomfortable you guys get being forced to watch a homoerotic (debateably) Gay magical boy anime

but as with all Homoerotic animes not named Yuri on Ice,  it remains unlicensed and undubbed

Honestly no joke. I would love to see that on the block. 

I think JoJo is ambiguously homoerotic enough as it is. And there IS a little homoerotic subtext (no, not "buttsex", but that is a pretty funny anagram of "subtext!") at times between Mikazuki and Orga, even though the former at this point is pretty much a baby-makin' pimp daddy!

2015 will go down in Toonami's history as the "girly" year. A weird decision like that would make 2018 the "gay" year!

I do believe FLCL will make things kinda "girly" again later this year, though. Not so much FLCL Classic, but as the new seasons have female protags, they're likely to bring in female viewers. It does remain to be seen if they're "strong" protags, though HaruHaru Haruko is the "recurring" foil in all 3!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think JoJo is ambiguously homoerotic enough as it is. And there IS a little homoerotic subtext (no, not "buttsex", but that is a pretty funny anagram of "subtext!") at times between Mikazuki and Orga, even though the former at this point is pretty much a baby-makin' pimp daddy!

2015 will go down in Toonami's history as the "girly" year. A weird decision like that would make 2018 the "gay" year!

I do believe FLCL will make things kinda "girly" again later this year, though. Not so much FLCL Classic, but as the new seasons have female protags, they're likely to bring in female viewers. It does remain to be seen if they're "strong" protags, though HaruHaru Haruko is the "recurring" foil in all 3!

I dunno thatToonami having ONE show with a sympathetically portrayed gay character (Yamagi) makes for a "Gay year"

I WISH Toonami could have a gay year but there just aren't enough anime that portray Gay people in a positive light(''>_>'')

also since when was 2015 the girly year Toonami has yet to air even a single female oriented show since it's revival

• Like 1

I base a lot of that on the RATINGS in 2015. Of note was this particular report for the weekend of, lo and behold, 3 years ago this Wednesday:

Top 25 Cable SAT.18 Apr 2015

KILL la KILL and SAO 2 DOMINATED the F12-34 demo, and InuYasha went down from there but it was still #5 among Top 25 18-49 cable originals! THAT'S what I meant by "girly" Besides, KILL la KILL has its central conflict between female characters, so you could argue that it was female-oriented. And hell, later that year, they aired an actual Josei, a.k.a. "young woman" series, in Michiko & Hatchin, and look how well IT did! Emboldened by a lead-in of DBZ Kai and Akame ga KILL (another female-leaning series in the vein of KILL la KILL), its 1 AM airing of Episode 7 captured OVER 1.4 MILLION viewers! Virtually the only non-long running show that didn't have a distinct female appeal that was acquired or aired in the mainstay of 2015 was Parasyte.

But how does this connect to the topic of the original thread? I'm thinking Toonami is looking to recapture that magic this year, and is likely to acquire a series with distinct feminine appeal for the 11 PM show to replace DBZ Kai Final Chapters. Then the 11 PM hour would become sort of a "ladies" hour, since FLCL Prog. and Alt., despite also containing elements which appeal to guys such as rock n' roll guitars, giant robots, and panty shots, will have mostly female main characters. I don't know enough about Re:Zero to know if that would fit the bill, but if it's anything like SAO, it might!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

funnily enough for all my whining about there not being many pro-gay anime, I just (by sheer chance) discovered that the protagonist of one of the Cardfight Vanguard animes...."might" be gay?........

(he tells another male character he's fallen for him and the dub changes the line to "I have a crush on you"...which makes it more blatant)

tumblr_p5whgwMcNE1upzx90o1_1280.png

tumblr_p5whgwMcNE1upzx90o4_1280.png

that or that phrase means something entirely different in Japanese and there was a VERY bad mistranslation error....which is the only reason I say "might"

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Mika will go on to become the new Naze. Maybe he had too much if an influence on Atra.

Should we think of titles to designate all of Toonami's years?

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mochi said:

I dunno thatToonami having ONE show with a sympathetically portrayed gay character (Yamagi) makes for a "Gay year"

I WISH Toonami could have a gay year but there just aren't enough anime that portray Gay people in a positive light(''>_>'')

also since when was 2015 the girly year Toonami has yet to air even a single female oriented show since it's revival

And they won't air Yuri on Ice because "nobody wants to watch sports anime"!

@OwlChemist81

Ok I've gotta say, you seem to be implying that just because a show has leading female characters that automatically makes it "female-oriented" and more likely to draw in female viewers, which is just plain wrong and a very...unfortunate implication.  

By that logic women should love ecchi harem series because they're full of female characters.  

Just now, Winter_Rain said:

@OwlChemist81

Ok I've gotta say, you seem to be implying that just because a show has leading female characters that automatically makes it "female-oriented" and more likely to draw in female viewers, which is just plain wrong and a very...unfortunate implication.  

By that logic women should love ecchi harem series because they're full of female characters.  

I would agree with you except that I have evidence to the contrary in the ratings. Sure, it isn't true with ALL shows with strong female protagonists, but I CAN objectively show that it WAS true with THESE shows with strong female protagonists (yes, I would classify Sinon and Kagome as "strong" leading ladies.)

No, ecchi harem is a different animal. Yes, KLK and AgK! had elements of that, but it was more the fact that they're ass-kickers who are strong with swordplay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mochi said:

Not quite!

Unfortunately, the show is so expensive to buy that it's probably not worth it to most people. And you probably won't see a release of any future seasons, because Pony Canyon has stopped doing physical releases in America... even though they still license new shows somewhat often, which makes no sense and me kind of angry. ¬¬

43 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I would agree with you except that I have evidence to the contrary in the ratings. Sure, it isn't true with ALL shows with strong female protagonists, but I CAN objectively show that it WAS true with THESE shows with strong female protagonists (yes, I would classify Sinon and Kagome as "strong" leading ladies.)

No, ecchi harem is a different animal. Yes, KLK and AgK! had elements of that, but it was more the fact that they're ass-kickers who are strong with swordplay.

My point was that it Isn't necessarily female leads that made these shows ratings winners, but that also had other factors that made them appealing to people.  

So correlation does not always equal causation.  Just having female protags doesn't mean anything by itself, it should also be either 1) good, or 2) have elements to appeal to a casual audience.  Ideally both, but we can't always have everything in life.  

Plz pick something good Demarco.  

• Like 1

FFS no sports anime. They're not popular in the west. Ping Pong the animation is great and I'd love for people to see it, but come on... you're going to get the block canceled by being silly like this.

Airing a sports anime is way more ridiculous than airing BC. The demand for shonen in the west is huge, so even mediocre/bad shonen can survive. Does Demarco really need to get Prince of Tennis'ed again to learn that lesson?

• Like 2