UnevenEdge

DeMarco tweeted this earlier today; let the speculation run wild!!!

18 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

March 20 post here, with link to Youtube video here.  I'm also fairly certain people on these very forums have talked about this before, so even if you don't ever go to TDA, you should have seen this before now.

I've seen that trailer before.  And neither one of those sources gives the episode count for the seasons.

Yeah, as much as I like Elfie, you're gonna have to give me proof from someone who's in an actual position to know that.  Considering I've given you evidence for the above, it's the least you can do for me. 

The two new seasons definitely seem to be following two different protagonists, each with their own characters, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of overarching plot that links the two of them, as well as the original FLCL, together.  Why would they announce two seasons otherwise?  Why not just one long season of 12 episodes, or just a single 6 episode season?

We can easily deduce from the trailers, subbed episode aired, and other information released that they will be largely independent of each other and the original.  During those behind the scenes featurettes that Toonami aired the people working on the show even said they are making it so old fans can enjoy but also those who have never seen the original series. 

Obviously they will be connected somehow.  Haruko is a recurring character, and we're going see robots and other things pulled from people's heads, familiar phenomena, returning factions, and cameos of past characters possibly, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say there will be an overarching story.

Maybe they wanted to tell 2 new stories in that world.  Honestly, they feel more like standalone spin-offs with connections than straight up sequels.  Just because something takes place later doesn't make it a sequel.  The various Star Trek shows are all considered spin-offs of the original 60s series.  When you almost completely change the cast and setting, it's a spin-off.

Look, we don't even know if they plan to reair FLCL Season 2 right after it finishes airing.  Even if it does, there's no guarantee it does it in the same spot, either.  We can assume from past experience, though, that they most likely will reair FLCL Season 2 right after it finishes.

Your logic doesn't make sense here.  A rerun of Season 2 won't make people not watch Season 3.  If anything, it would do the opposite.  Season 3 would be something new and fresh.  People aren't so butthurt as to completely give up on Season 3 over a rerun of Season 2.

We know they will because they never learn a god damn thing.  Like you said, based on past experience.

You forget how much the viewers abhor reruns.  This is the reason ASA failed and anime would've been dropped from AS if Toonami failed.  This is why the block got chopped in half.  This is why Jack was pulled.  They won't care that something new is coming.  Most people don't want to watch something they just fucking watched, especially something so short, where memories will be very fresh of even the first episode.  Hell, since it was announced ahead of time, they could just ignore the replay of season 2 and start watching again when season 3 premieres.  Or, some might plan to do this, but forget to come back for season 3, and it not only fucks over the ratings for the replay and shows after it, but season 3 as well.  YEAH THEY REALLY THOUGHT THIS ONE THROUGH!

Samurai Jack was a completed story that had no chance of continuation. There was more Attack on Titan, but everyone knew it wouldn't be coming soon.  A rerun of FLCL Season 2 at least has the benefit of there being more FLCL after the rerun ends.  The FLCL rerun is also much shorter.  I'll phrase it this way: would you rather sit through 6 weeks of reruns, or 25 weeks of reruns?

Placement on the block is everything.  Samurai Jack and Attack on Titan reran at the top of the block, which maximized the chance that ratings for the rest of the block would be affected.  FLCL would be rerunning at the fourth slot of the block.  If ratings tanked, it would only drag down ratings for what came after it, which still isn't great, but at least it isn't the whole block.  That's even assuming the rerun it at all, or decide to rerun it in it's premiere slot.

I'll refer you to what I said above.  And again, no reruns are ideal but shorter isn't really better because of how fresh they will be in your memory.  I guess people with 50 First Dates condition won't mind. :|

I thought you were talking about placement on the block in terms of what ratings the replay itself would get.  But oh ok, since it's not coming on first it, it would only be fucking over everything after that, which is no big deal! :D

Edited by ben0119

Yeah, no it isn't.  You just don't read half of what I post.

Not sure what I've missed.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't want FLCL Season 2 to be rerun (if it were to be) in the same slot that it premieres in.  There's definitely a possibility of it pulling down ratings for the rest of the block if it does so.  But let's be honest here, that's what they're gonna do.  Moving it down in the block would definitely be a smarter choice, but it would only be for six weeks, then they move it back up again.  They're big of block stability, and keeping shows where they are.  I doubt they'd move a show for just six weeks.  The only way I could see it working is if, after FLCL Season 2 finishes it's initial airing, they move it down, rerun Season 1 first, then rerun Season 2, and move it back up.  That'd be a bit more stable.

What you or I want, or even what logic would dictate, it seems, does not matter.  Demarco is determined to bungle this FLCL premiere and run the block into the ground just to squeeze that much more from the fruit!  The smart choice would have been to air them back to back, but that would make too much sense and they wouldn't "get their bang for their buck," in their eyes.  NEWSFLASH: The viewers don't care how much you paid for your show.  If they don't like it, they won't watch it.  And if it's reruns, which they have been historically shown to not tolerate, they won't watch that either.

And it isn't moving something around, but replacing a premiere with a rerun in a prime slot isn't exactly "stable" either.

Edit - accidentally hit the submit button early so the post is stuck in two pieces.

Edited by ben0119

We know there are 12 new FLCL episodes coming because that's what press releases told us. By the time that video came out, we knew about that.

ASA DIDN'T fail- by the time Bleach was the only fresh new anime they had running, they ran that 2012 April Fool's stunt with Toonami for a night, which prompted them to bring it back for real.  The timing worked out at the last moment.  So unless April Fool's wasn't a thing, and ASA really WAS intentionally replaced with effin Family Guy reruns, I don't consider ASA as failing.  Though it WAS running out of fresh new shows to air. 

If no one wants to watch reruns, how come AS/Toonami still does it?? They been great about acquiring new shows even more than they had been, but it's still a 24/7 network that never goes off the air, and there's only so much animation they can premiere.

17 minutes ago, korosu said:

we knew it was 6 episode seasons when it was first announced 

jason said that if toonami didn't come back, adult swim wouldn't have finished bleach

Which only supports my argument that Toonami negated the chance of ASA totally failing.

5 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Ben do you have any evidence whatsoever that Alternative will even be ready to air as soon as Progressive finishes?

No, you don't.  You're just sperging.  Per usual.

They just aired a behind the scenes thing tonight showing all the dub work being done, which is the last step, so...

And if it wasn't ready, they should have waited until it was.

Not to mention, they already aired the fully complete first episode.  Do you think they make the episodes every week before they air?  This stuff is all finished way ahead of time.  At least it should be, unless they're retarded.

Edited by ben0119

14 hours ago, elfie said:

We know there are 12 new FLCL episodes coming because that's what press releases told us. By the time that video came out, we knew about that.

ASA DIDN'T fail- by the time Bleach was the only fresh new anime they had running, they ran that 2012 April Fool's stunt with Toonami for a night, which prompted them to bring it back for real.  The timing worked out at the last moment.  So unless April Fool's wasn't a thing, and ASA really WAS intentionally replaced with effin Family Guy reruns, I don't consider ASA as failing.  Though it WAS running out of fresh new shows to air. 

If no one wants to watch reruns, how come AS/Toonami still does it?? They been great about acquiring new shows even more than they had been, but it's still a 24/7 network that never goes off the air, and there's only so much animation they can premiere.

I don't remember hearing about that.

What the hell are you talking about?  The April Fool's thing was a last resort.  If it didn't work and if Toonami didn't come back they would have gotten rid of the anime altogether.  Why would it come to that if ASA wasn't failing?

They do it when no options are left on the table, not out of choice.  Probably the only voluntary rerun is FLCL season 1, to get new and old fans alike ready for 2 and 3.  That at least makes some semblance of sense.  Space Dandy was pulled out of space dock because the show they intended to premiere was legally delayed.  Bebop though of course is run because Demarco is obsessed with it and pronably snuggles with the tapes at night.  But at least you can say both it and GitS are running in more or less throwaway slots.  Can't say the same for where FLCL 2 will rerun.

16 hours ago, korosu said:

we knew it was 6 episode seasons when it was first announced 

jason said that if toonami didn't come back, adult swim wouldn't have finished bleach

well-ill-be-damned.jpg

Yeah, exactly.  Toonami was the last chance for anime on Adult Swim.  Not sure what elfie isn't getting about this.  If ASA was doing dandy (heh,) Toonami's return wouldn't have been needed.

Edited by ben0119

12 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They just aired a behind the scenes thing tonight showing all the dub work being done, which is the last step, so...

And if it wasn't ready, they should have waited until it was.

Not to mention, they already aired the fully complete first episode.  Do you think they make the episodes every week before they air?  This stuff is all finished way ahead of time.  At least it should be, unless they're retarded.

The fact that the series is ready to go in Japan in no way implies it is also ready to go in the US.  Dubbing may be in-progress but not completed.  There are almost always delays in getting material for the series from Japan.  Approval has to be granted for casting choices and translations.  Why wait until both largely-independent seasons are finished if you already have one ready to go?

And the anime industry is NOTORIOUS for not having shit done until the last minute.  If a production is falling behind, as they often do, it's not uncommon for tapes of episodes to ne sent out to the Japanese broadcaster on the same day they're due to air.  That Paranoia Agent episode was essentially a documentary.  How the hell do you not know shit like this?

On 5/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, Top Gun said:

The fact that the series is ready to go in Japan in no way implies it is also ready to go in the US.  Dubbing may be in-progress but not completed.  There are almost always delays in getting material for the series from Japan.  Approval has to be granted for casting choices and translations.  Why wait until both largely-independent seasons are finished if you already have one ready to go?

And the anime industry is NOTORIOUS for not having shit done until the last minute.  If a production is falling behind, as they often do, it's not uncommon for tapes of episodes to ne sent out to the Japanese broadcaster on the same day they're due to air.  That Paranoia Agent episode was essentially a documentary.  How the hell do you not know shit like this?

Going ahead on one of them if one wasn't ready only makes sense if they didn't want to do one continuous FLCL hype-o-thon run.  I'd have no issue with them not airing back to back if they didn't feel the need to air reruns in between.  Things should be streamlined since Toonami funded this.  And during that featurette that was aired I noticed them dubbing over incomplete sequences, even, so if they aren't done dubbing by now, then...

Been a long time since I've seen Paranoia Agent.  I don't remember an episode focusing on anime production.  Well, believe it or not, I don't look into all that stuff that deeply and feel the need to know every person in the credits' life story.  Author/creator, I might look them up, but there's still a few I know pretty much nothing about.  Probably know a bit more about manga production though, even though I'm more of an anime person than a manga person.  Since if there's any issue with the mangaka, that messes up everything down the pipeline.  There's the editor's influence and interference, which seems to have ruined a lot of series' potential.  Then there's the amount of work that goes into it and the endless hours, people working themselves near to death, etc.  Kubo was sick a lot for years and hospitalized many times, and discovered he a had a fracture in his drawing arm after he finished Bleach.  I have heard of shows being delayed or episodes delivered incomplete, or in subpar condition, etc, but I always assumed it was because those particular studios/workers didn't have their shit together when working on said shows, not that it was "business at usual."

Edited by ben0119

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Been a long time since I've seen Paranoia Agent.  I don't remember an episode focusing on anime production.

Episode 10, "Mellow Maromi". The one about the crew making a Maromi anime getting killed one-by-one by Lil' Slugger because of the production runner's utter incompetence.

13 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Episode 10, "Mellow Maromi". The one about the crew making a Maromi anime getting killed one-by-one by Lil' Slugger because of the production runner's utter incompetence.

Damn, I really don't remember that at all. o.O Maybe I need to do a re-watch at some point here.

• Like 1