UnevenEdge

DeMarco tweeted this earlier today; let the speculation run wild!!!

3 hours ago, Daos said:

FFS no sports anime. They're not popular in the west. Ping Pong the animation is great and I'd love for people to see it, but come on... you're going to get the block canceled by being silly like this.

Airing a sports anime is way more ridiculous than airing BC. The demand for shonen in the west is huge, so even mediocre/bad shonen can survive. Does Demarco really need to get Prince of Tennis'ed again to learn that lesson?

I think the animation style would make Ping Pong a risky choice just as much (if not more so) than the fact It's a sports anime.

• Like 1

Is anyone out there watching Tokyo Ghoul or Tokyo Ghoul: Re via stream? It is quite WEIRD that it apparently isn't available on VRV subtitled or dubbed. A sweeping search for Tokyo Ghoul turns up...NOTHING, but maybe Tokyo Majin or Tokyo Ravens, but NO TOKYO GHOUL! What in the hell could be going on here!?!?

32 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Is anyone out there watching Tokyo Ghoul or Tokyo Ghoul: Re via stream? It is quite WEIRD that it apparently isn't available on VRV subtitled or dubbed. A sweeping search for Tokyo Ghoul turns up...NOTHING, but maybe Tokyo Majin or Tokyo Ravens, but NO TOKYO GHOUL! What in the hell could be going on here!?!?

haha, No, no I wouldn't voluntarily watch Tokyo Ghoul:re subbed

though I will if Toonami gets it just for the experience

Edited by mochi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Looks like you're about to learn why Kissanime is so popular!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's on Hulu, and I guess the franchise has always been that way. No amount of SHOUTING is going to change that; I personally prefer more subtle emphasis.

2 minutes ago, Blatch said:

It's on Hulu, and I guess the franchise has always been that way. No amount of SHOUTING is going to change that; I personally prefer more subtle emphasis.

He suffers from voice immodulation.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

For some reason VRV and CR have not gotten any season of Tokyo Ghoul. The sub and dub are on FUNimation’s service and Hulu is the only other legal option for the sub of Tokyo Ghoul: Re. Hulu also has the sub and dub of the previous seasons.

I have no clue why CR and VRV do not have it but I doubt it has anything to do with potential plans to air it on Toonami since Hulu has it all.

Alrighty then. I thought all of FUNimation was on VRV, but apparently that isn't the case. I may be cancelling my subscription and going back to FUNi NOW after all. I just can hardly stand their player. Although really, if I do it for the new season of Tokyo Ghoul, when there's a bunch of stuff I can watch on VRV outside of FUNi, that's admittedly a pretty stupid reason!

It it’s on Hulu, then just use that.

I think I’m the only one on board for Megalobox.  Granted it’s only one episode in, but Toonami has proven it’s never too late to make up for a bad choice.

Prince of Tennis over Hajime no Ippo was a terrible choice.

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

It it’s on Hulu, then just use that.

I think I’m the only one on board for Megalobox.  Granted it’s only one episode in, but Toonami has proven it’s never too late to make up for a bad choice.

Prince of Tennis over Hajime no Ippo was a terrible choice.

I'll only watch a sports anime if there's overwhelmingly good reviews for it. Otherwise it's generally not my thing.

Toonami will pick up the one about sidecar racing, don't worry.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

I'll only watch a sports anime if there's overwhelmingly good reviews for it. Otherwise it's generally not my thing.

Toonami will pick up the one about sidecar racing, don't worry.

I tend to agree normally, but combat sports are a massive exception because they are fights, and that's what anime does.  It's just done with a bit more care.

(Seriously Japan, make a Karate Minoru anime.  Netflix will greenlight it.  They greenlit everything the hell else).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=In the Pocket

Looks like it's a musical reference or saying.  I would have thought it had to do with pool.  To me that sounds like something that you would expect Toonami to get.  If he must get another shonen, I hope it's a good one.

Does confusing mean the show itself is confusing or bizarre, or it's not something we would expect Toonami to get, or the decision to air it was?  If it's the last option, you could say that about a lot of shows that Toonami has picked up.  JoJo is already pretty out there.  Not sure what would be even more crazy?  I think it's more likely they go outside their wheelhouse.  He did do that informal survey about other genres people would like to see on Toonami.  If so, though, that means the show could almost anything.

Super psyched so it's possibly something people are expecting or at least hoping Toonami gets.  Attack on Titan 2 and SAO 3 are all but guaranteed regardless, and wouldn't be coming this soon, so hopefully it's Re: Zero.

Edited by ben0119

On 4/11/2018 at 1:30 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't think the next Gundam would be 00, unless it was in a late-night slot. That already aired on Syfy.

How about no next Gundam?  They have a low hit rate for quality.  Yes, we all know Demarco infamously said he would like to always have a Gundam on the block, a Gundam slot, if you will, but I don't think this can continue.  They got IBO to start out, as a fairly recent, popular Gundam series.  It was pretty decent.  Then they got Unicorn, which was just a trainwreck.  They got IBO season 2 probably only to complete the series, since they got season 1.  This season 2 has not been that great though.  The writing and directions the story have gone have been baffling.  I think this experiment is over.

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

How about no next Gundam?  They have a low hit rate for quality.  Yes, we all know Demarco infamously said he would like to always have a Gundam on the block, a Gundam slot, if you will, but I don't think this can continue.  They got IBO to start out, as a fairly recent, popular Gundam series.  It was pretty decent.  Then they got Unicorn, which was just a trainwreck.  They got IBO season 2 probably only to complete the series, since they got season 1.  This season 2 has not been that great though.  The writing and directions the story have gone have been baffling.  I think this experiment is over.

I agree with you. I guess they could get a rerun of Wing or G for the back of the block, but I think it’s best to save their money for newer things

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:36 AM, Daos said:

I'm going to say I'm 99 percent sure it's not pop team epic. It would be ratings suicide. 

Maybe a comedy? English dub of Konosuba out of nowhere?

Demarco strikes me as somewhat delusional sometimes..... but is he delusional enough to think that people would be hyped for TG RE or Boruto? I really hope not.

Looking at Konosuba seems like it could still have some action elements, so that could be a candidate.

Demarco will have completely lost it if he thinks people are hyped for either one of those.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:18 AM, Daos said:

Wait I figured it out.. the confused one is......

Is this a zombie?

NOOOOO!

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I swear I've been reading it as Pop Team Eric.  I hope they don't get it then.  Talk about comedy cancer.

I swear I've been reading it as Pop Team Eric.  I hope they don't get it then.  Talk about comedy cancer.

I’m on the fence about that. The show is the same 15 minutes twice with different actors in each part. I don’t know how that will play out on TV

3 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I’m on the fence about that. The show is the same 15 minutes twice with different actors in each part. I don’t know how that will play out on TV

I didn't even know that.  Is the voicing done differently with the second set of actors?  Like they do silly voices or something?  How would this work as a dub?

Edited by ben0119

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I didn't even know that.  Is the voicing done differently with the second set of actors?  Like they do silly voices or something?  How would this work as a dub?

I think it’s all female voices for the 1st part and all male voices for the 2nd (even for the female characters)

4 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I think it’s all female voices for the 1st part and all male voices for the 2nd (even for the female characters)

Oh, weird.  Not sure if this will even be dubbed, but I wonder if they would still do that.  If Toonami aired it, I think they would only air one part, in any case.

Oh, weird.  Not sure if this will even be dubbed, but I wonder if they would still do that.  If Toonami aired it, I think they would only air one part, in any case.

It’s already been dubbed and available on Funimation Now and is dubbed that way. It’s possible they may just take the first parts and just air 2 of them. It would only last 6 weeks then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

It’s already been dubbed and available on Funimation Now and is dubbed that way. It’s possible they may just take the first parts and just air 2 of them. It would only last 6 weeks then

Oh I see.  Odd.  Don't really get why the show was made that way?  They could toss this on last at night before comedy and probably wouldn't do much harm, regardless of if they air both parts.  Though that may be throwing their money away.  I dunno, I just really doubt they would air something like this except maybe for April Fool's.  There's "confusing" and then there's ratings suicide.  They aren't going to go too crazy.

Just now, ben0119 said:

Oh I see.  Odd.  Don't really get why the show was made that way?  They could toss this on last at night before comedy and probably wouldn't do much harm, regardless of if they air both parts.  Though that may be throwing their money away.  I dunno, I just really doubt they would air something like this except maybe for April Fool's.  There's "confusing" and then there's ratings suicide.  They aren't going to go too crazy.

Kim Manning’s a big fan apparently which is why people suspect they got this.

Thats a good question, where would you put something like this? Putting it upfront may hurt the other shows, but you can’t throw it on at 3:30 am either.

2 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Kim Manning’s a big fan apparently which is why people suspect they got this.

Thats a good question, where would you put something like this? Putting it upfront may hurt the other shows, but you can’t throw it on at 3:30 am either.

I didn't think she held much sway anymore.  Honestly don't hear about her much anymore.  She replaced Lazzo as whipping boy and now she's been replaced by Demarco. :D

Have no clue.  I can't imagine it would flow with other shows too well and I'm pretty sure it will kill retention.  And yeah putting it last is a waste of their investment.  So yeah I dunno.

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I think you're wrong, but it IS time to give Gundam a rest for awhile after IBO S2.

Maybe in August after JoJo they'll throw on Thunderbolt or something. That would be a decent 8-week stopgap before Diamonds Are Unbreakable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think you're wrong, but it IS time to give Gundam a rest for awhile after IBO S2.

Maybe in August after JoJo they'll throw on Thunderbolt or something. That would be a decent 8-week stopgap before Diamonds Are Unbreakable.

Since Unicorn didn’t do that great, I think they are going to shy away from any UC stuff. It seems this Toonami audience just isn’t into that sort of thing.

Weird thing, I don’t even think of IBO as a Gundam show, it just feels different to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Since Unicorn didn’t do that great, I think they are going to shy away from any UC stuff. It seems this Toonami audience just isn’t into that sort of thing.

Weird thing, I don’t even think of IBO as a Gundam show, it just feels different to me. 

Probably because the UC stuff is full of emo crybabies like Amuro and Banagher.

Yeah because the characters in IBO aren't bitch boys!  It's a breath of fresh air.

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't think they're done with Gundam for good, let alone UC Gundam, just giving it a break. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, after all! And BTW, I think Unicorn did OK for 2 AM. And when it was at 1 AM, it did quite respectable by today's standards.

I think that IBO, Unicorn, and IBO2 were probably all committed to at the same time as a package deal with Sunrise. Both Unicorn and IBO2 were announced as airing months ahead of time (well in the case of Unicorn about 6 weeks) so I think that's what happened.  I believe in the past Sunrise has made these kind of deals that required UC stuff to air in order to get some AC shows. I do see the crew dealing directly with the Japanese side since Sunrise has no American counterpart and making a multi show deal. So I guess we'll have to see if that is going to continue for more shows. People were really requesting Gundam to come back and they delivered So if they are satisfied with the result they may bring on more or they may not. We'll see.I'm not so much on sold on the idea of bringing in Gundam Wing again just because I know its going to be more money spent where I think it can be better spent elsewhere. If they want to bring on a classic, why not something like Escaflowne or Tiger and Bunny or something that the block never got a chance to run in the past instead?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I think that IBO, Unicorn, and IBO2 were probably all committed to at the same time as a package deal with Sunrise. Both Unicorn and IBO2 were announced as airing months ahead of time (well in the case of Unicorn about 6 weeks) so I think that's what happened.  I believe in the past Sunrise has made these kind of deals that required UC stuff to air in order to get some AC shows. I do see the crew dealing directly with the Japanese side since Sunrise has no American counterpart and making a multi show deal. So I guess we'll have to see if that is going to continue for more shows. People were really requesting Gundam to come back and they delivered So if they are satisfied with the result they may bring on more or they may not. We'll see.I'm not so much on sold on the idea of bringing in Gundam Wing again just because I know its going to be more money spent where I think it can be better spent elsewhere. If they want to bring on a classic, why not something like Escaflowne or Tiger and Bunny or something that the block never got a chance to run in the past instead?

Jason and Gill made multiple trips to Japan to negotiate an end to the Gundam embargo, and Sunrise are notorious for being difficult to deal with, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had to accept such a deal.  Yeah people were requesting Gundam and now they've answered that request.  Not so sure they will air much more of it, if any.  Either way they can say they did what the fans asked, and if we don't get anymore then that just means the ratings didn't justify the efforts to acquire them and the cost.  I'd prefer to see other stuff, like you said, myself.

• Like 1

I guess I could also see Space Dandy getting replaced by an HD remastered G Gundam in August. But I think the main reason Gundam IBO S2 hasn't done all that great is it was behind Black Clover. If G Gundam is after BC, that might hurt it except that its lead-in would be the venerable Shippuden, unless Shippuden were knocked down to 2:30, which I could ALSO see...

G Gundam HD would certainly be "Right in the pocket", so to speak, but then again, so would almost any other Gundam except maybe Turn A...  

So this is kind of far out there, but considering recent events... what if for the "confused" anime, DeMarco intends to air something subbed?  Barring the obvious (it would be a ratings killer), it seems to me like it would be something DeMarco would at least want to try once.  I can even put on my tinfoil hat and say the April Fools Day prank was meant to test the waters for such a thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Jason and Gill made multiple trips to Japan to negotiate an end to the Gundam embargo, and Sunrise are notorious for being difficult to deal with, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had to accept such a deal.  Yeah people were requesting Gundam and now they've answered that request.  Not so sure they will air much more of it, if any.  Either way they can say they did what the fans asked, and if we don't get anymore then that just means the ratings didn't justify the efforts to acquire them and the cost.  I'd prefer to see other stuff, like you said, myself.

Sheesh, so much effort.. so little ratings. Why didn't he make this kind of effort for the big hits?

I'm gonna say ... no on the subbed. I don't think he's so clueless to think that would fly.

I think it's going to be something wacky like Is this a zombie or a pure slice of life/ harem like Haganai or Haruhi.

While this speculation is fun, if they have a new show I really think they should have announced it already and started actually advertising it, if it's something big like RE Zero. It's going to be tragic if they manage to get it and then no one knows that it airs because they did no promotion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Sheesh, so much effort.. so little ratings. Why didn't he make this kind of effort for the big hits?

I'm gonna say ... no on the subbed. I don't think he's so clueless to think that would fly.

I think it's going to be something wacky like Is this a zombie or a pure slice of life/ harem like Haganai or Haruhi.

While this speculation is fun, if they have a new show I really think they should have announced it already and started actually advertising it, if it's something big like RE Zero. It's going to be tragic if they manage to get it and then no one knows that it airs because they did no promotion.

We are 3 weeks out at the moment and their typical announcement time is no later than 2 weeks out. I think especially now if the show has been secured, that it is time to start promoting it, at least make a Facebook post to let people know what it is at this point. I’ve never been a fan of waiting until the last 2 weeks to even tell people what’s coming. On air promotion is costly and that’s one thing, but I don’t see the strategy in hiding it until the end. I remember in the ASA days, we’d get announcements months ahead of time. It certainly would help people decide what to watch as it comes out, especially if it’s a simuldub.

But we should hear in the next week unless they have more delay tactics (double Jojo or something like that)

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Because acquiring and promoting other anime doesn't require heading over to Japan to meet the committees in person.  With FLCL 2 and 3, they had to be INVOLVED. DeMarco's name is in the producer end credit. This is important to them.

7 hours ago, elfie said:

It just occurred to me. Remember that genre poll DeMarco ran on Twitter? It appears horror won. So maybe the "will confuse some ppl" anime will be horror!

That's bad news.... there are very few good horror anime. Another and Blood C on Toonami?

Maybe they could count Future Diary... or...... Daganropa?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

So this is kind of far out there, but considering recent events... what if for the "confused" anime, DeMarco intends to air something subbed?  Barring the obvious (it would be a ratings killer), it seems to me like it would be something DeMarco would at least want to try once.  I can even put on my tinfoil hat and say the April Fools Day prank was meant to test the waters for such a thing.

Yeah... I've already talked at length about this, but airing subbed shows is pretty much the exact opposite of what Toonami stands for, and it also completely defeats the point of why they did the April Fools' gag to begin with. But maybe it actually could happen.

9 hours ago, brianycpht said:

We are 3 weeks out at the moment and their typical announcement time is no later than 2 weeks out. I think especially now if the show has been secured, that it is time to start promoting it, at least make a Facebook post to let people know what it is at this point. I’ve never been a fan of waiting until the last 2 weeks to even tell people what’s coming. On air promotion is costly and that’s one thing, but I don’t see the strategy in hiding it until the end. I remember in the ASA days, we’d get announcements months ahead of time. It certainly would help people decide what to watch as it comes out, especially if it’s a simuldub.

But we should hear in the next week unless they have more delay tactics (double Jojo or something like that)

I'm thinking we get a more typical announcement on Facebook some time during the week. If they have to do another delay for some unholy reason, my first guess would be a rerun of Samurai Jack S5 being added.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Whatever they pick, it better not be Junji Ito Collection.

(Then again, I'd love to listen to that opening every week.)

The most awesome yet completely out of place opening one can think of.

Shame I liked...about 50% of the stories to get past the animation shortcuts.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, elfie said:

It just occurred to me. Remember that genre poll DeMarco ran on Twitter? It appears horror won. So maybe the "will confuse some ppl" anime will be horror!

well I'd be okay with a horror anime, any anime is fine as long as it's not another "king of shonen"

that said "gonna confuse people" is Pop Team Epic and I refuse to believe otherwise

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1