UnevenEdge

DeMarco tweeted this earlier today; let the speculation run wild!!!

3 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

My Hero Academia's dub just hit Hulu, maybe we're getting that. i'd love to see Gundam 00 on the block, eve though i've seen  it a bunch and own it.

K, Magi, or Irregular at Magic High School would be fantatic

My Hero Academia has been shot down repeatedly by DeMarco.

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

My Hero Academia has been shot down repeatedly by DeMarco.

it hasn't been shot down. they weren't able to get the rights to it because netflix or crunchyrool jumped on it right away in the bidding war. toonami wants MHA really bad. maybe now that the fervor's died down and time has passed, they're able to snatch it up

• Like 1

Just now, Blatch said:

Considering that Mahouka doesn't have a dub and probably never will, I could already shoot down that post. Either way, thanks for playing. xD

i would hope that toonami could dub it themselves. that'd be nice. probably unlikely, but nice. it's a terrific series that would fit the block perfectly

On 4/14/2018 at 4:29 AM, Daos said:

Sheesh, so much effort.. so little ratings. Why didn't he make this kind of effort for the big hits?

I'm gonna say ... no on the subbed. I don't think he's so clueless to think that would fly.

I think it's going to be something wacky like Is this a zombie or a pure slice of life/ harem like Haganai or Haruhi.

While this speculation is fun, if they have a new show I really think they should have announced it already and started actually advertising it, if it's something big like RE Zero. It's going to be tragic if they manage to get it and then no one knows that it airs because they did no promotion.

I think literally only MHA qualifies as a big hit they missed in recent years and not for lack of trying. Maybe Mob but it’s nowhere near MHA in popularity or Sailor Moon Crystal I suppose. They tried to get all of those. Is it so outlandish to think that what worked for Gundam and maybe DB didn’t or would not work for other shows?

Meanwhile, they got Super as soon as Toei let them, they got One-Punch Man in a timely manner, they got AoT season 2 within weeks of the Japanese broadcast, they got JoJo and Hunter once they were available and eventually Tokyo Ghoul. They were late on Ghoul but they still got it, we’ll see about Re. Black Clover is usually in the top 5 on Crunchyroll and does well on Hulu. They may not get Re:Zero but it wasn’t even available until now. I really wonder how they managed to get One-Punch Man’s dub instead of Hulu but perhaps Viz felt Toonami was the better place for it, HxH and the JoJo dubs. Now if only they’d fork over Tiger & Bunny.

Arguably, they try to get too many of the most popular anime and it leaves no room for lesser known stuff. Just imagine if HxH and/or JoJo were options in 2015, they may never have gotten Parasyte.

Totally unrelated to the above but I would also love to see Toonami air Megalobox. Perhaps their relationship with TMS (thanks to Lupin) will make that possible.

Edited by Sketch

9 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

it hasn't been shot down. they weren't able to get the rights to it because netflix or crunchyrool jumped on it right away in the bidding war. toonami wants MHA really bad. maybe now that the fervor's died down and time has passed, they're able to snatch it up

Hulu extended their contract which keeps it out of the running for at least another year. Netflix has never had MHA. Fervor hasn’t died down, there’s a new season airing right now.

However, I’ll never completely rule out MHA for Toonami. It might very well end up replacing DBZ Kai if Hulu’s contract doesn’t prevent that. It just doesn’t look likely for this year unless something has changed behind the scenes.

I am surprised no one has speculated that "Psyched" might be a coy play on words hinting at a Psychic themed anime. Of which there are two very recent and rather popular animes, Mob Psycho 100 (same author as One Punch Man and also just got a second season announcement to air later this year), and The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. which already has multiple seasons. Since Toonami has a history of licensing anime with multiple seasons of content/long running/or promised future content this could easily put them in the "desired" zone.

Edited by Sandstone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandstone said:

I am surprised no one has speculated that "Psyched" might be a coy play on words hinting at a Psychic themed anime. Of which there are two very recent and rather popular animes, Mob Psycho 100 (same author as One Punch Man and also just got a second season announcement to air later this year), and The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. which already has multiple seasons. Since Toonami has a history of licensing anime with multiple seasons of content/long running/or promised future content this could easily put them in the "desired" zone.

He might be referring to Mob Psycho 100 which up until now has been difficult to get. I doubt they've given up on getting it and he may be under the impression that people will be psyched to see it finally air but I that's wishful thinking IMO. Plenty of people haven't seen Mob and it might do fine on Toonami but I don't see a ton of people thrilled about it showing up on Toonami right now. Maybe that's my own bias because I could take it or leave it. I would rather see something else that's either newer or more obscure or at least a dub premiere. Mob is getting a second season though so if they could get season 1 on before that, then it's worth doing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sketch said:

He might be referring to Mob Psycho 100 which up until now has been difficult to get. I doubt they've given up on getting it and he may be under the impression that people will be psyched to see it finally air but I that's wishful thinking IMO. Plenty of people haven't seen Mob and it might do fine on Toonami but I don't see a ton of people thrilled about it showing up on Toonami right now. Maybe that's my own bias because I could take it or leave it. I would rather see something else that's either newer or more obscure or at least a dub premiere. Mob is getting a second season though so if they could get season 1 on before that, then it's worth doing.

We definitely need a dub premiere at this point. IBO was the last one and that was 6 months ago.

I think Mob is kinda late at this point too to be that big of a deal

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, brianycpht said:

We definitely need a dub premiere at this point. IBO was the last one and that was 6 months ago.

I think Mob is kinda late at this point too to be that big of a deal

That certainly gives the advantage to Re:Zero, then. We currently have 4 dub premieres on the block (DBS, JoJo: SC, Gundam IBO, and HxH). When we lose Gundam IBO, we need another dub premiere. Most of the other shows that people are throwing out there (Star Blazers, MHA, Pop Team Epic) would NOT be dub premieres. I think that matters.

JoJo replaced AOT S2; that was also a dub premiere (and a "simul-dub" at that.) Gundam IBO replaced Tokyo Ghoul, which was NOT a dub premiere, but at the time we also had Lupin, which WAS a dub premiere. (So in 4th Quarter 2017 we actually had 5 dub premieres.) Here are the number of dub premieres we had in each stage of 2017:

Jan 7-Apr 15: DBS; DBZKai; HxH (3 total)
Apr 22-Jun 10: DBS; AoTS2; HxH (3 total)
Jun 17-Jul 22: DBS; AoTS2; HxH; Lupin (4 total)
Jul 29-Aug 12: DBS; HxH; Lupin (3 total)
Aug 19-Sep 30: DBS; JoJo: SC; HxH; Lupin (4 total)
Oct 7-Dec 16: DBS; JoJo: SC; Gundam IBO; HxH; Lupin (5 total)

It turns out that in at least half of 2017, we only had 3 dub premieres. Of course, in January, we lost Lupin, which was replaced by a rerun (Space Dandy), and now this May 5 we lose Gundam IBO. Could it be replaced by a non-dub premiere? With FLCL S2 and hopefully AoTS3 coming, sure! Even though we haven't been down to 3 dub premieres in over 6 months, at least the former of those is the rarest type of premiere: a WORLD premiere! And, there is a chance that Re:Zero would only be a dub premiere for part of its run on Toonami (rumors are that a DVD/BD release may be coming early summer), but even so, at least it would be until those two shows impact the block!

It is also remarkable to note that 2017 is the first year we actually had at least 3 dub premieres on the block during all non-marathon weeks. In both 2015 and 2016, there were numerous times the number of dub premieres was only 2. So we certainly COULD go back to 3 in 2018, but I kinda doubt we will! It seems that the bar has been raised to 4 or more--at least I hope!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That certainly gives the advantage to Re:Zero, then. We currently have 4 dub premieres on the block (DBS, JoJo: SC, Gundam IBO, and HxH). When we lose Gundam IBO, we need another dub premiere. Most of the other shows that people are throwing out there (Star Blazers, MHA, Pop Team Epic) would NOT be dub premieres. I think that matters.

JoJo replaced AOT S2; that was also a dub premiere (and a "simul-dub" at that.) Gundam IBO replaced Tokyo Ghoul, which was NOT a dub premiere, but at the time we also had Lupin, which WAS a dub premiere. (So in 4th Quarter 2017 we actually had 5 dub premieres.) Here are the number of dub premieres we had in each stage of 2017:

Jan 7-Apr 15: DBS; DBZKai; HxH (3 total)
Apr 22-Jun 10: DBS; AoTS2; HxH (3 total)

It turns out that in at least half of 2017, we only had 3 dub premieres. Of course, in January, we lost Lupin, which was replaced by a rerun (Space Dandy), and now this May 5 we lose Gundam IBO. Could it be replaced by a non-dub premiere? With FLCL S2 and hopefully AoTS3 coming, sure! Even though we haven't been down to 3 dub premieres in over 6 months, at least the former of those is the rarest type of premiere: a WORLD premiere! And, there is a chance that Re:Zero would only be a dub premiere for part of its run on Toonami (rumors are that a DVD/BD release may be coming early summer), but even so, at least it would be until those two shows impact the block!

The set (episodes 1-12) comes out mid June- that’s been confirmed. The dub looks to be streaming episode 1 on May 8th on Funimation but I don’t see any further episodes listed.

I certainly think the block should have at least 4 dub premieres in order to give viewers things they can’t watch dubbed elsewhere. I think that if they can’t get a show as a premiere that they should hold off a bit and run it later when people might be willing to revisit it. I think it’s counter productive to let’s say run episode 1 an ongoing simuldub while Funimation is actively promoting on Twitter that you can watch episodes 1-10 right now and 11 is coming next week, for example.

Hmm, that ALSO seems to point to a probable Re:Zero premiere on Toonami on May 5th at 12:30! The question is: since I believe the first episode is an hour long, if they've got an AoTS2-ish deal going on, where it has to air on Toonami a day or two before it streams, then maybe Black Clover will get pre-empted that night?

Also, with the first set of episodes coming out mid-June, and that set containing episodes 1-12, at least it would be a dub premiere until FLCL 2 hits, and then once that's over, we'd likely have AOT S3, so that would keep the 4-or-more train rolling!

Finally, as much hate as y'all wanna give Boruto, at least that would be a dub premiere, as probably would Naruto Shippuden as well once it passes a certain point. Don't think we'll get there this year or even next year though!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hmm, that ALSO seems to point to a probable Re:Zero premiere on Toonami on May 5th at 12:30! The question is: since I believe the first episode is an hour long, if they've got an AoTS2-ish deal going on, where it has to air on Toonami a day or two before it streams, then maybe Black Clover will get pre-empted that night?

Also, with the first set of episodes coming out mid-June, and that set containing episodes 1-12, at least it would be a dub premiere until FLCL 2 hits, and then once that's over, we'd likely have AOT S3, so that would keep the 4-or-more train rolling!

Finally, as much hate as y'all wanna give Boruto, at least that would be a dub premiere, as probably would Naruto Shippuden as well once it passes a certain point. Don't think we'll get there this year or even next year though!

Keep in mind too that it can regain that status once it gets to episode 13 depending on when set 2 comes out.

We’re hoping to hear something this week.  A lot of the actors and the director are promoting the upcoming stream but it’s possible that they would have no idea of a possible Toonami airing.  That streaming day almost lines up perfectly 

• Like 1

Exactly. Therefore, as I'm most psyched for Re:Zero, I think I would be most surprised if it turned out to be anything BESIDES Re:Zero.

As much as I dig having Space Dandy back on the block, I can't state enough how great it would have been to have had a dub premiere of Darling in the Franxx on the block beginning that week, and maybe THEN Black Clover should have been knocked down to 1 AM?

But more likely than not, they weren't even looking at Franxx yet, and that mystery show that was to replace Lupin is none other than Re:Zero! 

7 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Did DeMarco say anything about one of those shows being the one that was supposed to air, but got delayed due to licensing issues?

Of course not. The guy is paranoid now and plays everything close to the vest. Can't reveal his hand you see!

5 hours ago, Daos said:

Of course not. The guy is paranoid now and plays everything close to the vest. Can't reveal his hand you see!

Yeah he's like that because Sean Akins was the opposite. He'd give interviews and basically tell people "Yeah we're looking at this show, we really want to air that show,...."ect.  Then FOX KIDS or someone would go and grab it before Toonami could. It's almost baffling to think he was that naive when you read it now. They lost out on so many shows that way. After that kind of stuff happened, i think the interviews were less frequent.

Although, I don't see the harm in announcing something when it is secured. We usually don't find out before 2 weeks of its premiere. I think its because they want to announce the show and its date and timeslot all in one and that usually isn't finalized until that point.

• Like 1

How in the hell could I forget about Samurai Jack Season 5? Though technically speaking it was a WORLD premiere, not a dub premiere.

But I also made one OTHER HUGE error: DBS was only a dub premiere on Toonami, strictly speaking, on July 22 and the first 3 weeks of December, since it got prime-time sneak premieres at 8 PM or 8:30 PM for most of the year. Also taking into account a small error I made regarding DBZKFC's last dub premiere (first DVD set came out 4/25/17), that makes the true breakdown for 2017 as follows:

Jan 7-Mar 4: DBZKFC; HxH (2 total)
Mar 11-Apr 15 (excluding Apr 1): Jack; DBZKFC; HxH (1 world, 2 dub, 3 total)
Apr 22 only: Jack; DBZKFC; AoTS2; HxH (1 world, 3 dub, 4 total)
Apr 29-May 20: Jack; AoTS2; HxH (1 world, 2 dub, 3 total) 
Jun 3-Jun 10: AoTS2; HxH (2 total)

Jun 17-Jul 15: AoTS2; HxH; Lupin (3 total)
Jul 22: DBS; AoTS2; HxH; Lupin (4 total)

Jul 29-Aug 12: HxH; Lupin (2 total)
Aug 19-Sep 30: JoJoSC; HxH; Lupin (3 total)
Oct 7-Nov 18: JoJoSC; Gundam IBO; HxH; Lupin (4 total)

Oct 7-Dec 16: DBS; JoJoSC; Gundam IBO; HxH; Lupin (5 total)

The average number of dub or world premieres for normal weeks in 2017 was 2.97. So far, through the first 4 months of 2018, that average is 4.06, MUCH higher. What happens from there depends whether or not we get another dub premiere to replace Gundam IBO. With one like Re:Zero joining the block, the average for the first half of 2018 shoots up to 4.24. Without it, it falls to 3.92, STILL almost a full show ahead of last year. It is also important to note that percentage-wise, 3 dub premieres in 2018 is lower than in 2017, since this year the block is usually 11 shows long. So even without Re:Zero or another dub premiere joining the block on May 5, the first half percentage would be 35.4%, which is still quite a bit higher than 32.5%. So in conclusion, the next show on the block wouldn't really NEED to be a dub premiere, theoretically.

Edited by OwlChemist81

14 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

How in the hell could I forget about Samurai Jack Season 5? Though technically speaking it was a WORLD premiere, not a dub premiere, and taking into account an error I made regarding DBZKFC's last dub premiere (first DVD set came out 4/25/17), that makes the true breakdown for 2017 as follows:

Jan 7-Mar 4: DBS; DBZKFC; HxH (3 total)
Mar 11-Apr 15 (excluding Apr 1): Jack; DBS; DBZKFC; HxH (1 world, 3 dub, 4 total)
Apr 22 only: Jack; DBS; DBZKFC; AoTS2; HxH (1 world, 4 dub, 5 total)
Apr 29-May 20: Jack; DBS; AoTS2; HxH (1 world, 3 dub, 4 total) 
Jun 3-Jun 10: DBS; AoTS2; HxH (3 total)

The average number of dub or world premieres for normal weeks in 2017 was 3.87. So far, through the first 4 months of 2018, that average is 4.06. What happens from there depends whether or not we get another dub premiere to replace Gundam IBO. With one like Re:Zero joining the block, the average for the first half of 2018 shoots up to 4.24. Without it, it falls to 3.92, STILL on a par with last year. It is also important to note that percentage-wise, 3 dub premieres in 2018 is lower than in 2017, since this year the block is usually 11 shows long. So even WITH Re:Zero or another dub premiere replacing Gundam IBO, the first half 2018 percentage is 38.4%, which can't even TOUCH the 2017 percentage of 42.5%! (Thanks, Black Clover...)

Just found out today that Sunrise has uploaded the rest of the IBO English dub to their “gundaminfo” YouTube channel as of the last week of March. So we’ve technically already lost a dub premiere unfortunately 

I wonder if it’s a miscalculation on their part. If IBO played without interruptions it would have ended on Toonami a few weeks ago. They may not have taken all that into account. This is something you think Toonami would’ve covered in their contract 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Just found out today that Sunrise has uploaded the rest of the IBO English dub to their “gundaminfo” YouTube channel as of the last week of March. So we’ve technically already lost a dub premiere unfortunately 

I wonder if it’s a miscalculation on their part. If IBO played without interruptions it would have ended on Toonami a few weeks ago. They may not have taken all that into account. This is something you think Toonami would’ve covered in their contract 

Aww shit.  Well, Mochi will be relieved it's over early at least.

The hell?! I didn't know that! That brings the first half status quo numbers down to 3.76 and 34%. If we get a dub premiere on 5/5, that shoots it up to 4.08 and 36.9%.

BTW, note the corrections I made for 2017. Somehow I failed to take into account that DBS premiered at 8 PM or 8:30 PM for most of 2017, which means that most of the Toonami airings were technically RERUNS despite the fact that Toonami aired topicals for them, and that completely changed the complexion of my argument!

But thanks for your watchful eye.  Now I'm tempted to watch Gundam IBO #49 and #50 ahead just to see how all this ends, though!

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The hell?! I didn't know that! That brings the first half status quo numbers down to 3.76 and 34%. If we get a dub premiere on 5/5, that shoots it up to 4.08 and 36.9%.

BTW, note the corrections I made for 2017. Somehow I failed to take into account that DBS premiered at 8 PM or 8:30 PM for most of 2017, which means that most of the Toonami airings were technically RERUNS despite the fact that Toonami aired topicals for them.

But thanks for your watchful eye.  Now I'm tempted to watch Gundam IBO #49 and #50 ahead just to see how all this ends, though!

Others (Sam on Twitter and Sketch on Reddit) actually pointed it out and I didn’t see it at first because they aren’t in the playlist.

I hope Toonami includes this kind of stuff in future contracts. It’s one thing if this was 2002 and they put the DVD out. At least there’s a purchase barrier there, but when you put stuff up for free on YouTube in this day and age, you really tempt people to watch ahead- as you are right now. Don’t see the benefit to Sunrise to do this since it’s free.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Part of the reason I'm tempted is so I can read half of his posts without getting spoiled. :D

I am also tempted to do it so I can get my misery over sooner, and so I don't have to be so annoyed at the spoilers posted in the discussion threads.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I don't know if anyone is going to seek out the last two IBO episodes on their own time, and even then, a lot of Toonami's viewers are the kind of casuals who would never even know it's there. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Not really, I just kind of think it’s an unnecessary move from Sunrise, but that’s just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

With all the new posts, I was expecting he'd finally reveal IBO's replacement, but instead I got a bunch of bitching about Sunrise putting up the rest of the dub online.

I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed.

Don’t worry, the week is young, we still have plenty of time for that 

I guess by "smartphone anime" you mean "Pop Team Epic???" Don't blame ya there!

Well what do you know? I would say that might be the #2 contender for the 12:30 PM slot; though it's not a dub premiere, it WOULD work out so that you can watch the whole thing before the DVD release, if there is no Independence Day marathon. I think it's a lot more likely to take GITS place indirectly and premiere at 2:30 AM, however, since it is a considerably older show. And yes, Shippuden still ahead of it, because Star Blazers->Shippuden->Space Dandy is mood and setting whiplash! Blazers->Dandy->Bebop would make a great spacey "closer" combo!

Edited by OwlChemist81

55 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I guess by "smartphone anime" you mean "Pop Team Epic???" Don't blame ya there!

Well what do you know? I would say that might be the #2 contender for the 12:30 PM slot; though it's not a dub premiere, it WOULD work out so that you can watch the whole thing before the DVD release, if there is no Independence Day marathon. I think it's a lot more likely to take GITS place indirectly and premiere at 2:30 AM, however, since it is a considerably older show. And yes, Shippuden still ahead of it, because Star Blazers->Shippuden->Space Dandy is mood and setting whiplash! Blazers->Dandy->Bebop would make a great spacey "closer" combo!

I can see Demarco trying to get that since they wanted it before. It also has another season starting. 

I just don’t see this Toonami audience getting into something like that. 

Also, face the facts: it IS an older show.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13776

Vintage:

2012-04-06 (Episode 1 preview broadcast on Family Gekijo)
2013-04-07 (TV Broadcast)

There's no way this belongs before Black Clover, a show that despite coming from an upstart rather than a beloved franchise, is still only 2 months and change behind its Japanese premieres, when otherwise its availability is almost exactly the same (dub streaming on FUNi NOW and VRV). But playing after dub premieres of Hunter x Hunter, a show from around the same time frame? Yeah, I can see that!

But on the subject of Re:Zero, THIS just got posted less than an hour ago:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-16/re-zero-anime-english-dubbed-trailer-streamed/.130459

Notice it mentions home video, but fails to mention streaming or TV...things that make you go "hmmm..."

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Oh the way I read Owls statement was like he was confirming that the new show airing was an older show and that it was Star Blazers.

In another world with my smartphone is 100 percent trash. Not even the enjoyable kind.

Wildly OP MC with no personality that looks like Kirito does OP things and defeats everyone effortlessly while assembling a massive harem. There's no plot. 

A similar anime came out last season called "Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody"  It's almost identical to Smartphone except slightly enjoyable.

Pic 1 is smartphone. Pic 2 is Death March

Isekai-wa-Smartphone-Season-2-Release-Da

deathmarch-1.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daos said:

Oh the way I read Owls statement was like he was confirming that the new show airing was an older show and that it was Star Blazers.

In another world with my smartphone is 100 percent trash. Not even the enjoyable kind.

Wildly OP MC with no personality that looks like Kirito does OP things and defeats everyone effortlessly while assembling a massive harem. There's no plot. 

A similar anime came out last season called "Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody"  It's almost identical to Smartphone except slightly enjoyable.

Pic 1 is smartphone. Pic 2 is Death March

Isekai-wa-Smartphone-Season-2-Release-Da

deathmarch-1.jpg

That looks like the same exact guy I both shows!

Just now, Jman said:

It’s getting a Netflix show.  We have enough isekai crap.

That and more people need to see Star Blazers 2199.

It should get a run, just a little more towards the back. It kind of has a retro look to it that probably won’t do well up front. And yes, that’s how people are unfortunately