UnevenEdge

DeMarco Tweets Toonami's Future Full Of "NEW" Stuff

The1gairon

Just now, Blatch said:

That could be interpreted in multiple ways, but maybe it refers to graphic content in a show. As in... children bleeding from their eyes?

B|

It is very vague, but I'm glad to know we can soon shed that feeling off of "TOONAMI IS ONLY LITTLE BOYS' SHONEN"!  I am a tad sad that this means Re:Zero and the like won't be coming, since Re:Zero feels like what Toonami has aired for the past years so far.

My guess is that they're going to air some Western action cartoons again, or at least one.  Maybe a PREMIERE!  Or maybe more seinen.

6 minutes ago, elfie said:

It is very vague, but I'm glad to know we can soon shed that feeling off of "TOONAMI IS ONLY LITTLE BOYS' SHONEN"!  I am a tad sad that this means Re:Zero and the like won't be coming, since Re:Zero feels like what Toonami has aired for the past years so far.

I don't think that's the implication at all. In fact, it might even bolster Re:Zero's chances, because it's a seinen and pretty deconstructive of the isekai tropes anime has been saturated with lately.

More western cartoons on Toonami would be cool. I'm actually somewhat hoping for Children of Ether to show up, since the pilot Crunchyroll made showed some... uh, potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I don't think that's the implication at all. In fact, it might even bolster Re:Zero's chances, because it's a seinen and pretty deconstructive of the isekai tropes anime has been saturated with lately.

More western cartoons on Toonami would be cool. I'm actually somewhat hoping for Children of Ether to show up, since the pilot Crunchyroll made showed some... uh, potential.

Watch it be more Sand Whale And Me.

Edited by elfie

27 minutes ago, elfie said:

CGDCT?

cute girls doing cute things 

You know, stuff like Yuru Yuri, Is the Order a Rabbit?, or Slow Start from this season. My comment was a joke btw if for some reason that wasn't blatantly apparent as was intended.

Edited by BUU8800

Wonder if this has anything to do with that poll he took of what sort of non-action stuff people would like to see on the block.  Though he said they weren't doing it, but he was just curious.

Block has been stagnant as of late so I hope he means it when he says "new things."

8 hours ago, elfie said:

My guess is that they're going to air some Western action cartoons again, or at least one.  Maybe a PREMIERE!  Or maybe more seinen.

The only thing they've aired similar to RE Zero is SAO and it's not similar to SAO at all other than the genre.

DeMarco mentioned comedy and horror as something they are looking into during the Pre-Flight Q&A back in late January. Johnson is jumping to conclusions with Slice of Life though. I don’t think we’re ever going to see high school slice of life romantic comedies with no fantasy, horror, action or sci-fi element to them.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

DeMarco mentioned comedy and horror as something they are looking into during the Pre-Flight Q&A back in late January. Johnson is jumping to conclusions with Slice of Life though. I don’t think we’re ever going to see high school slice of life romantic comedies with no fantasy, horror, action or sci-fi element to them.

Gonna have to re-unearth that episode. Though if I remember correctly, Pre-Flight eps are permanently deleted after a few weeks.

Comedy and horror. That's be great choices!  All of their currently running shows have varying degrees of comedy anyway!

I hate Johnson.

• Like 1

It would actually be a lot better if Adult Swim went back to airing Anime on the weeknights again like they did, in the early 2000's. There was more variety in Anime genres and sub-genres.

I wouldn't mind seeing the network air Tactics, Tokyo Majin, Devil May Cry, Shiki, Tokko, etc. in regards to Horror Anime. Seeing more shows with Martial Arts themes wouldn't hurt either as long as it's not the God-awful, Ikki Tousen.

As for Comedy, I wouldn't mind seeing Gintama. Does it have a dub yet? I haven't watched Gintama in years. Then again, it's probably better in Japanese because the Japanese puns and pop-culture references wouldn't translate well with American viewers.

Does Nichijou have a dub yet?

I'll be glad for Toonami to air anything different, at this point.  I'm getting tired of seeing the same shonen tropes being played out over and over again for every show that the block picks up.  I don't hate shonen, far from it, but I think I'm overdosing on it.  I'd be up for seeing more horror oriented shows, personally.

Of course, if Toonami takes this in the OTHER direction (live action), then I probably won't be so happy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Gonna have to re-unearth that episode. Though if I remember correctly, Pre-Flight eps are permanently deleted after a few weeks.

Comedy and horror. That's be great choices!  All of their currently running shows have varying degrees of comedy anyway!

I hate Johnson.

You have a Johnson day sir!

7 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I'll be glad for Toonami to air anything different, at this point.  I'm getting tired of seeing the same shonen tropes being played out over and over again for every show that the block picks up.  I don't hate shonen, far from it, but I think I'm overdosing on it.  I'd be up for seeing more horror oriented shows, personally.

Of course, if Toonami takes this in the OTHER direction (live action), then I probably won't be so happy.

They've been stuck in a rut for a while. They learned to kind of.. eke out an existence by catering to Shonen fans over the years. I think the main blame for this goes to the success of Inuyasha DBZ and Bleach. It worked before so why won't it work now? 

And it could work again......... the only problem is they don't have the resources to get any of the good Shonen like MHA, SDS, or Mob Psycho. They got BC which is critically hated and the ratings haven't been kind to it. But hey it's similar to every Shonen ever made (especially Naruto) so why not air it?

When they have tried airing different stuff on adult swim and Toonami it hasn't gone over well. Remember Shin Chan and Prince of Tennis? Super Milk Chan?

They'll air mecha stuff but aside from Gurren Lagan it's always Gundam. I've only seen a couple Gundam  series but they've been generally unwatchable and low rated. Darling in the Franxx isn't great but it's way better than Gundam. The first season of Aldnoah Zero blows any of the Gundams I've seen away easily.

So yeah I'm all for them finally breaking out of the rut they've been in and trying new things. As long as it's not live action stuff.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Daos said:

They'll air mecha stuff but aside from Gurren Lagan it's always Gundam. I've only seen a couple Gundam  series but they've been generally unwatchable and low rated. Darling in the Franxx isn't great but it's way better than Gundam. The first season of Aldnoah Zero blows any of the Gundams I've seen away easily.

They also aired Eureka Seven and the first 2 Evangelion movies.

HEY, What if we ended up FINALLY getting 3.33 for April Fool's Day? Then what would happen with that extra 1.5 hours? Just rerun it and go to 5 AM?

Edited by OwlChemist81

22 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Gintama. Does it have a dub yet? I haven't watched Gintama in years. Then again, it's probably better in Japanese because the Japanese puns and pop-culture references wouldn't translate well with American viewers.

I believe some of it is dubbed, but as you said, the anime is much better in Japanese.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CAC said:

I believe some of it is dubbed, but as you said, the anime is much better in Japanese.

As much as I would like to see Gintama dubbed to be aired on TV, I know it won't translate well with American viewers. This is especially if they are casual viewers with little knowledge about Japanese entertainment, culture, and pop-culture references.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

As much as I would like to see Gintama dubbed to be aired on TV, I know it won't translate well with American viewers. This is especially if they are casual viewers with little knowledge about Japanese entertainment, culture, and pop-culture references.

Subbies say this about literally every anime.  I somehow doubt this one is more Japanesey than anything else that supposedly "wouldn't translate well."

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Subbies say this about literally every anime.  I somehow doubt this one is more Japanesey than anything else that supposedly "wouldn't translate well."

I watch Anime both dubbed and subbed. Sometimes dubs are better than subs and vice versa.

Sometimes dubs and subs are both good. I'm not that nit picky like certain viewers are.;)

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

26 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

I watch Anime both dubbed and subbed. Sometimes dubs are better than subs and vice versa.

Sometimes dubs and subs are both good. I'm not that nit picky like certain viewers are.;)

I'd like to think we left those kinds of people behind many years ago.  And fair enough, but I'm just saying that whole talking point is usually overblown.  Can't say I've seen too many series that didn't seem like they were so Japanese culture-centric that they wouldn't work well in localized form.  Or one that was and lost anything for it. 

A lot of anime viewers will be generally interested in Japanese culture and want to learn more about it anyway.  Though I don't think anime itself is the best way to do that or the most accurate representation...

Edited by ben0119

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I'd like to think we left those kinds of people behind many years ago.  And fair enough, but I'm just saying that whole talking point is usually overblown.  Can't say I've seen too many series that didn't seem like they were so Japanese culture-centric that they wouldn't work well in localized form.  Or one that was and lost anything for it. 

A lot of anime viewers will be generally interested in Japanese culture and want to learn more about it anyway.  Though I don't think anime itself is the best way to do that or the most accurate representation...

You mean girls don't come up behind other hot girls and grope their breasts at every opportunity? Anime... is real.. right?

• Haha 1