UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Geez talk about overkill with Jack. Why are they also rerunning it at 11?

It certainly bolsters the theory that something new will air at 11:00 but it's not ready yet, hence Jack's position as a placeholder.

Top anime by State for Spring.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/23/feature-crunchyrolls-top-spring-anime-by-state

So the question is... in the next year or two how many of these top anime will Toonami acquire, not counting Titan which they're already airing of course.

My guess will be none of them. And that's kind of the problem with Toonami.

Hey, that's what they get for airing a Broadcast Dub in the first place. :D

They are aware of when a show really premieres.  So maybe they figured it wouldn't matter because by now every already saw what happens in the manga?  I don't know.

"Next week, Ymir shows off what she can do as a Titan!  ... oh you wanted to find that out until the episode actually airs? Tough tuckus. We're spoiling it!!"

They are aware of when a show really premieres.  So maybe they figured it wouldn't matter because by now every already saw what happens in the manga?  I don't know.

"Next week, Ymir shows off what she can do as a Titan!  ... oh you wanted to find that out until the episode actually airs? Tough tuckus. We're spoiling it!!"

They revealed she was a Titan in the 2 seconds before the previous episode ended, so I wouldn't call that a spoiler.

It certainly bolsters the theory that something new will air at 11:00 but it's not ready yet, hence Jack's position as a placeholder.

That's the only thing that makes sense. I mean, the Wed night encores weren't exactly lighting the world on fire with the ratings. I get that it is incredibly successful, but you can only show something so many times before people get tired of it. Especially with having Sunday and Saturday airing the series in different ways. This isn't like Family Guy where you can just spam it all over the schedule.

Let's hope for some kind of surprise at Momocon tomorrow. For all we know, we could get a schedule shakeup on June 17 with Lupin and something else .

Maybe Lupin was intended for MoMoCon the same way Parasyte was intended for SDCC before the damn food truck got in the way.

Considering Demarco announced it himself as opposed to clarifying its presence elsewhere, I assume he announced Lupin on purpose and something else is saved for Momocon entirely.

If this theory honestly turned out to be wrong, then it certainly would seem that someone still thinks that strong premiere ratings equals strong same slot rerun ratings

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/23/feature-crunchyrolls-top-spring-anime-by-state

So the question is... in the next year or two how many of these top anime will Toonami acquire, not counting Titan which they're already airing of course.

In the case of Tokyo Ghoul if Toonami had acquired it in 2015 it may have been considered a top anime grab. However grabbing it in 2017 doesn't exactly result in the same type of term being thrown out at all.

I guess Toonami didn't have the means in their budget or any openings back then for it, and this is where I agree that it does seem a bit weird that it has remained a top requested show for Toonami all this time

The top spring anime for Pennsylvania is fucking BORUTO?

I knew we were all inbred hicks, but I never though we would sink this low.

Hey, if you guys were really inbred hicks, your top non-sequel anime would be Eromanga and not Love Tyrant.

In the case of Tokyo Ghoul if Toonami had acquired it in 2015 it may have been considered a top anime grab. However grabbing it in 2017 doesn't exactly result in the same type of term being thrown out at all.

I guess Toonami didn't have the means in their budget or any openings back then for it, and this is where I agree that it does seem a bit weird that it has remained a top requested show for Toonami all this time

It seems like they grabbed it as filler. I mean they didn't give it a good time slot or anything.

And yeah if they had grabbed it in 2015 when it was being hyped up.... I'd understand that. Some people actually did enjoy the first season. I have no idea why, but they did.

But the second season is almost universally loathed and the Ghoul hype train kind of derailed after that.

God look at all those screaming Eren heads. *_* He's even attacking my state!

I actually heard the Boruto series is really good!

I'm not a huge fan of sequel series that exist solely to show the adventures of the original characters' kids.  I view it as just a cash grab.  Boruto is no difference.  Perhaps I'll check it out eventually, but definitely not right now.  I still need to finish Shippuden, anyway.

Well, maybe they do know what they're doing by playing Samurai Jack Season 5 reruns at 11 PM on Saturday night after all, because these numbers ARE kinda encouraging:

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-prime-time-tv-wasteland-holiday-weekend/

TOTAL VIEWERS RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 659,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 1,294,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack S5 #1 1,031,000 (79.68%)

11:30 PM Samurai Jack S5 #2 939,000 (91.08%)

12:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #3 888,000 (94.57%)

12:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #4 843,000 (94.93%)

1:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #5 786,000 (93.24%)

1:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #6 841,000 (107.00%)

2:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #7 784,000 (93.22%)

2:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #8 704,000 (89.80%)

3:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #9 681,000 (96.73%)

3:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #10 642,000 (94.27%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 813,900

The Dragon Ball Super 3-peat at 8 PM didn't do very well at all, and still a rather sizable drop from Family Guy to SJ S5 #1. Oddly enough, it was the return of Scaramouche in #6 at 1:30 AM that had the best retention, as it actually GAINED viewers from the episode before (#5)! Given that Hunter x Hunter doesn't usually do that, I'd have to say it's a fluke unless by word-of-mouth people just tuned in that late to see all the crazy cameos!

ADULTS 18-49 RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 255,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 741,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack S5 #1 606,000 (81.78%)

11:30 PM Samurai Jack S5 #2 545,000 (89.93%)

12:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #3 519,000 (95.23%)

12:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #4 495,000 (95.38%)

1:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #5 481,000 (97.17%)

1:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #6 534,000 (111.02%)

2:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #7 468,000 (87.64%)

2:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #8 415,000 (88.68%)

3:00 AM Samurai Jack S5 #9 408,000 (98.31%)

3:30 AM Samurai Jack S5 #10 355,000 (87.01%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 482,600

A similar pattern held for Adults 18-49, as episode #6 gained on #5 by a whopping 111%, but the opener to the marathon only dropped to 82% of its lead-in. While we're talking percentages, perhaps more important is the fact that the 12-3:30 portion of this marathon (Episodes #3-#9, if you're keeping score) actually GAINED for the first time this year, 4% in total viewers and 15% in adults 18-49 over last year's Samurai Champloo marathon, despite a drop of 20% in both total viewers and adults 18-49 across the rest of the network!

Next week things return back to normal, or should I say the new normal? I just hope DBZ Kai can recover markedly from the two reruns at the top of the block, even if 10:30 PM Family Guy seems to have finally found its audience!

So, the last few weeks, VRV has been advertising its service with a 30 day free trial. 

VRV gives you ALL THE ANIME (FUNi, Crunchyroll,  um, Rooster Teeth, and others) for $9.99 a month.  That includes the AOT simudub.

That's gotta hurt the ratings.

I'm pretty sure the AOT simuldub is still coming out on Sunday though, right? Also, if VRV contains Anime Strike shows, then that's genius, AS LONG AS IT'S legal!

It's a Crunchyroll subsidiary.  The app, UNLIKE ADULT SWIM, is on all the game consoles and Roku.

So, the last few weeks, VRV has been advertising its service with a 30 day free trial. 

VRV gives you ALL THE ANIME (FUNi, Crunchyroll,  um, Rooster Teeth, and others) for $9.99 a month.  That includes the AOT simudub.

That's gotta hurt the ratings.

When did VRV actually debut? I forget.  Could VRV really be a big reason for Toonami's lower ratings this year??

I'm pretty sure the AOT simuldub is still coming out on Sunday though, right? Also, if VRV contains Anime Strike shows, then that's genius, AS LONG AS IT'S legal!

LOL, not even close.

Amazon would probably make a move to buy VRV if they could. That stupid group of nihilists knows no bounds.

LOL, not even close.

Amazon would probably make a move to buy VRV if they could. That stupid group of nihilists knows no bounds.

At that point Amazon should just rename itself Conglomo.

I'll wait for Owlchemist to post, but all I have to say is , "You guys like those Jack reruns ?" C'mon guys learn from your mistakes of 2014/15!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-3-2017.html

Ouch!

Final-Cable-2017-Jun-03.SAT_.png

6/3/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - #10 (+1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.37

Estimated 18-34 - 251,000 ( 31.10% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.32

Estimated 18-49 - 410,000 ( 50.81% )

Total Viewers - 807,000

6/3/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters - #6 (-1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.54

Estimated 18-34 - 367,000 ( 43.02% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.40

Estimated 18-49 - 513,000 ( 60.14% )

Total Viewers - 853,000

6/3/2017 Attack On Titan - #11 (-1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.45

Estimated 18-34 - 306,000 ( 46.65% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.31

Estimated 18-49 - 397,000 ( 60.52% )

Total Viewers - 656,000

6/3/2017 Tokyo Ghoul - #20 (-5)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.41

Estimated 18-34 - 279,000 ( 50.45% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.28

Estimated 18-49 - 359,000 ( 64.92% )

Total Viewers - 553,000

6/3/2017 Gundam Unicorn - #37 (-4)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.33

Estimated 18-34 - 224,000 ( 52.09% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.23

Estimated 18-49 - 295,000 ( 68.60% )

Total Viewers - 430,000

Well, now we see what the true purpose of April 1st's Rick & Morty single-episode marathon was: gauging about how well Toonami would do with a multiple-time rerun at the top. In fact, the similarities are uncanny: that episode of Rick & Morty had played for the 7th time at 11 PM that night, while this past weekend that episode of Samurai Jack was on its 6th run, first airing 3/11 at 11, then 3/15 at 10 and 2:30, then 5/27 at 11, and then 5/28 at 8.

I gotta say while I don't like these results, there ARE some bright spots. For example, Gundam Unicorn DID do BETTER in Adults 18-34 than last week and STILL hasn't QUITE fallen to the level of suckery in 18-49 that Hellsing Ultimate and Gurren Lagann did, though its 430K overall viewers has to be some kind of record for a premiering show at 2 AM. The Christmas Eve JoJo's marathon came close, but those were reruns.

I look at numbers like this and ask myself "how can [as] and Toonami be OK with this?" because apparently they ARE. I don't have an inkling of a clue why they would be. I think something must be done about that 8 PM Dragon Ball Super premiere. It's clearly choking off the potential of the rest of the block by making the 11:30 PM airing a rerun. Even when Samurai Jack premieres were still ahead of it, it was clear that it wasn't doing as well and Kai had a hard time recovering from that. They oughta just run the same episode twice in a row at 8 PM like they did on 5/27 and go from there. Hopefully renegotiations with Toei are taking place now if that's what it takes.

This all just begs the question: why not dub premiere at 11? Toonami fought hard to get those timeslots back and it's just such a shame to see them going to waste! Hopefully they've got an answer soon. In the meantime, Jack reruns should be at 2:30 AM and bump everything else up starting on 6/17, which would mean that after all Lupin actually gets to air at 1:30!

Believe it or not, I think another thing that would help is giving TOM back his voice in the intro. I get that SARA must remain silent or talk suspiciously offscreen since she has a mouth now but voice-overs for TOM would be a trivial matter and would probably boost curiosity at 11 PM, raising the slot by about 100K-200K total viewers. Also, why do the vignettes not air in that timeslot? The way to get people to watch reruns is to show them something they haven't seen before, even if just for a few minutes. The major content of the night should be airing at 11:15 PM, except perhaps in the case of large music videos. Maybe even then they could show a snippet of them, and then say "to see more, keep watching Toonami!," but I digress. A video game review, "Better Cartoon Show" custom video, or new show promo should definitely air during that Samurai Jack rerun. Also, have you noticed the bumps were exactly the same as what aired on 3/11? Bad form, Toonami, BAD FORM!

They basically let a company (TOEI), who have no idea how TV works in America push them around in order to get this show. I feel like AS was in the power seat and could have said, "Hey guys you want it on TV at all ?". I'd wage to say that Kim Manning and Jason Demarco know more about how to make anime a success on TV than any executive at TOEI. Even so, Suoer  isn't doing "bad " in either showing, but its the cascading affect that the rest of the night suffers from.

As for Jack, they got complacent. They had a hit and they thought they could get away with this.  The bets thing they could have done is stick a rerun later in the block and just let FG have back 11, but to them it was more important for Toonami to keep 11. Maybe there is a reason for that, I don't know. They obviously do not have faith that Super can bring in viewers at 11 either.

My issue is that we lost the back end in 2015 because of bad programming choices. While Jack was an amazing show, people do not come back for reruns of a serialized action show on a once a week block. While it doesn't cost them anything extra to air Jack and it probably didn't do bad on its own , it's damaging enough to everything else.

As far as the bumps go, I've noticed that they basically stay the same throughout each "season" until the next lineup change.  Only expect them to chance about 3-4 times per year.

This is somewhat interesting:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-2-2017.html

Note "Williams Stream" at #3 and #6. I wonder if that was the on-air broadcast of the Toonami Pre-Flight MomoCon panel? If so, it won the otherwise quiet night in Men 12-34, as almost did Toonami proper on 6/3, capturing #2 (DBZ KFC), #4 (AOT), #5 (Tokyo Ghoul), and #7 (Gundam Unicorn). (Super was a 5th entry for [as] in the M12-34 top 10, placing #6.)

They basically let a company (TOEI), who have no idea how TV works in America push them around in order to get this show. I feel like AS was in the power seat and could have said, "Hey guys you want it on TV at all ?". I'd wage to say that Kim Manning and Jason Demarco know more about how to make anime a success on TV than any executive at TOEI. Even so, Suoer  isn't doing "bad " in either showing, but its the cascading affect that the rest of the night suffers from.

As for Jack, they got complacent. They had a hit and they thought they could get away with this.  The bets thing they could have done is stick a rerun later in the block and just let FG have back 11, but to them it was more important for Toonami to keep 11. Maybe there is a reason for that, I don't know. They obviously do not have faith that Super can bring in viewers at 11 either.

My issue is that we lost the back end in 2015 because of bad programming choices. While Jack was an amazing show, people do not come back for reruns of a serialized action show on a once a week block. While it doesn't cost them anything extra to air Jack and it probably didn't do bad on its own , it's damaging enough to everything else.

As far as the bumps go, I've noticed that they basically stay the same throughout each "season" until the next lineup change.  Only expect them to chance about 3-4 times per year.

I think the bumps will change when Lupin the 3rd hits and Gundam leaves on 6/17. Maybe that will give the ratings for that night a boost, even if absolutely nothing else changes?

So what if Gundam Unicorn was a ratings failure; I'm just glad I got to see it on Toonami!

I think the bumps will change when Lupin the 3rd hits and Gundam leaves on 6/17. Maybe that will give the ratings for that night a boost, even if absolutely nothing else changes?

So what if Gundam Unicorn was a ratings failure; I'm just glad I got to see it on Toonami!

Why haven't we seen a Lupin promo on air yet? With it  being at 2am it needs all the help it can get!

Wow, that's total poop.

It also makes me glad I'm not a person who cares about the ratings anymore. :poop:

You know whats funny. I never followed ratings until ASA/Toonami. The network made such a big deal about it in their bumps that I started paying attention. They conditioned us to care!

You know whats funny. I never followed ratings until ASA/Toonami. The network made such a big deal about it in their bumps that I started paying attention. They conditioned us to care!

I actually did follow ratings before the Numbers Game bumps, around the 1999-2001 time frame for Pro Wrestling federations WCW and the WWF. At the time, you were able to go back and see how WCW was kicking WWF's ass in 1995-1998, then around late '98 the WWF managed to regain ground. Of course, WWF would be the overall winner for that in 2001, before losing to a friggin' PANDA BEAR the very next year and having to change its name/initials to WWE.

It wasn't until I started watching Adult Swim in 2005 that I began to pay attention to the ratings again, and then that escalated to a hobby in 2008 when I joined the ASMB mostly to bitch about the loss of weeknight anime on [as]. But yes, indeed they conditioned us to care!

I did have a mild curiosity about it back in 2000 2001. At the time I was curious as to why some of the shows that I liked were taken off the air Toonami or otherwise. I was curious as to why things like reboot we're getting the umpteenth run while things like Thundercats and Ronin Warriors were taken off the block.  I remember sitting on my computer and my dad walked into the room  and was like "Are you reading about viewer demographics?"

It seemed that even with weeknight anime they were very guilty of showing the same shows (usually FMA, Inuyasha, and Gits). In 07 when they finally started changing it up, it got yanked.

Get with the program, dude. It's common knowledge that they typically save new show promos for the week before they premiere.

The promo has been done since Momocon but you're right. I just don't see why they won't air it if it's ready

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic