UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Well guess what they just announced to be coming to the block.

Lupin III.

I wonder how this will affect the ratings.

Not much considering its all the way at 1:30 AM. It'll do good if it can hold whoever is left after Tokyo Ghoul, but I highly doubt it'll grow the audience at that time.

Well guess what they just announced to be coming to the block.

Lupin III.

I wonder how this will affect the ratings.

It's certainly at that time slot where it doesn't necessarily have to have huge ratings in order for it to be considered a bonafide success 

Trying something new by trying something old.

Lupin is mad refreshing among all these angst heavy shounen.

This feels like a TRULY adult anime.  Something that doesn't (always) resort to juvenile humor and has actually intense stories, themes, and characters, and all those feel like they belong in this show.

Lest I forget I DO have FUNimation NOW and theoretically can watch Fujiko Mine anytime I want!

Since we know Lupin the 3rd Part 4 is coming at 1:30, I think there are 3 possible schedule configurations, and I REALLY dislike the 3rd, for an OBVIOUS reason...  :poop:

1. All Dub Premieres Together

11 PM Samurai Jack ®

11:30 DB Super ®

12 AM DBZ KFC (np)

12:30 Attack on Titan S2 (bd)

1 AM Hunter x Hunter (dp)

1:30 Lupin the 3rd Part 4 (dp)

2 AM Tokyo Ghoul (np)

2:30 Shippuden (np)

3 AM GITS ®

2. Get Back, Jack!

11 PM DBZ KFC (np)

12 AM Attack on Titan S2 (bd)

12:30 Tokyo Ghoul (np)

1 AM Hunter x Hunter (dp)

2 AM Shippuden (np)

2:30 Samurai Jack ®

3 AM GITS ®

3 Edgy 5 U, HxH!

11 PM Samurai Jack ®

12 AM DBZ KFC (np)

12:30 Attack on Titan S2 (bd)

1 AM Tokyo Ghoul (np)

2 AM Hunter x Hunter (dp)

2:30 Shippuden (np)

3 AM GITS ®

LEGEND: ® = rerun; (np) = network premiere; (bd) = broadcast dub; (dp) = dub premiere (which Lupin the 3rd will be, along with Hunter x Hunter)

Hopefully they'll go with option 2, as the Wednesday night rerun is officially cratering in the ratings:

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/wednesday-final-nationals-downward-dog-begins-criminal-minds-beyond-borders-ends-unspectacular-notes/

Not even a 900K or 0.40, also lost almost a tenth from the show before (AD), and the show after it (BB) gained a full 0.20 in 18-49!

So I guess Burchard > McFarlane > Genndy. Who knew?

Getting back to the original subject of the thread, Toonami has a TON of competent competition tonight. NHL hockey featuring the Preds is on right now, and the NBA Playoff game begins on ESPN tonight at 9, and will most likely have the conclusion coincide with the finale of Samurai Jack. Plus SNL's season finale will affect everything after Jack's season finale.

I don't think there's any UFC or Boxing, but isn't that ENOUGH? Well I guess we'll see how everything does Tuesday!

Also, if there were ever a time for Dragon Ball Super to take over 11 PM, it's now (well beginning on June 3rd). We're through the embarrassingly bad Beerus-ish filler and Frieza is BACK! Even if they're reruns, I believe those episodes will likely do well on Toonami because it IS Frieza!

I suppose you're not wrong. 2M viewers came in during an episode on Namek.

However, I don't think Super will take over 11, at least for right now. The episode would air at the same time as the premiere on the west coast. And in general, it's not a good idea to move up something that isn't holding over well from the previous. Even if not much would retain well from Samurai Jack, but I think we can imagine how things would turn out.

Well, Samurai Jack popped the 2nd-highest number of its run, but of course it still lost to the overrun of Golden State Warriors vs. San Antonio Spurs. And everything else is pretty much just painful to look at:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-5-20-2017.html

5/20/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - #11 (-3)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.43

Estimated 18-34 - 292,000 ( 33.18% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.33

Estimated 18-49 - 423,000 ( 48.07% )

Total Viewers - 880,000

5/20/2017 Samurai Jack - #3 (-2)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.82

Estimated 18-34 - 557,000 ( 38.20% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.67

Estimated 18-49 - 859,000 ( 58.92% )

Total Viewers - 1,458,000

5/20/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters - #5 (-3)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.59

Estimated 18-34 - 401,000 ( 38.56% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.48

Estimated 18-49 - 615,000 ( 59.13% )

Total Viewers - 1,040,000

5/20/2017 Attack On Titan - #10 (-4)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.42

Estimated 18-34 - 285,000 ( 34.21% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.37

Estimated 18-49 - 474,000 ( 56.90% )

Total Viewers - 833,000

5/20/2017 Tokyo Ghoul - #15 (-8)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.34 .

Estimated 18-34 - 231,000 ( 35.59% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.30

Estimated 18-49 - 385,000 ( 59.32% )

Total Viewers - 649,000

5/20/2017 Gundam Unicorn - #33 (-21)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.27

Estimated 18-34 - 183,000 ( 36.31% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.22

Estimated 18-49 - 282,000 ( 55.95% )

Total Viewers - 504,000

Jack and DBZ Kai did well, and AOT did decent, actually managing its 2nd highest overall number, but Ghoul and Gundam were  :poop:, plunging to scary new lows. Well at least Gundam still stayed above 500K, which Hellsing Ultimate and Gurren Lagann did not, but since they seem hell-bent on rerunning Samurai Jack and DragonBall Super back-to-back, who knows how long that will last?

And of course everything got its ass kicked by ESPN and the aftermath of the monster NBA game which managed to beat Jack. Perhaps [as] should have pulled a switcheroo and played the first 9 episodes of Jack instead this week, then the finale next week with the normal lineup? I guess we'll never know how that would have done.

Jack's finale was a massive event and the numbers demonstrate it.

Everything else is garbage self parody (Super) or easily available on multiple other platforms (everything else) and the ratings show that too.

Everything else is garbage self parody (Super) or easily available on multiple other platforms (everything else) and the ratings show that too.

True, AOT's dub being the sole exception, as you have to wait a day before seeing it elsewhere. And I've said it time and time again: people won't watch Super's rerun unless they play the chief interstitial DURING Super, and they STILL haven't learned that. But given that they're intent on giving Samurai Jack an 11 PM rerun, that might be the least of our problems.

Jman about summed it up.  It would be wise in the future for Toonami to not have something (Ghoul) that is available fully dubbed on Hulu or Netflix(a lot of people have at least one of those). I mean, if it's on FN or illegal sites, that's one thing because it's not as widespread and easily accessible. I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to not just blow through that show on Hulu and continue to watch it once a week until October

It seems that high rating for Jack do not translate to high rating for Super, so in all likelihood, rerunning Jack wont have as much as an effect as we may think. There isn't much compatibility between the viewership bases already (if there was, the rest of the block would be doing great). If anything, there just won't be this massive drop.

The trick in the future with any original productions will be making something that has wide range appeal and cross over with the anime viewers. It's not going to be FLCL, which will do great with the anime crowd, but not the general populace.

True, AOT's dub being the sole exception, as you have to wait a day before seeing it elsewhere. And I've said it time and time again: people won't watch Super's rerun unless they play the chief interstitial DURING Super, and they STILL haven't learned that. But given that they're intent on giving Samurai Jack an 11 PM rerun, that might be the least of our problems.

I'm really curious if FUNimation is just going to release episode 6 dubbed on their site this week despite Toonami taking a week off. I've asked them twice on Twitter and gotten no response. I really hope for Toonami's sake they have it in their contract that they have to run it before they can post it.

I'm gonna go to a T-shirt online print service, and purchase T-shirts that say "so ditching Toonami past the midnight hour is the IN thing to do now!??!".

Blame Tokyo Ghoul. I really hope it ends up at 2 AM because it's choking the potential of everything after it, including Gundam.

It may, they weren't afraid to do it with Unicorn . We may even see HxH move up to 1 if they don't want to put Lupin there

I hope so.

As Paul of the Toonami Faithful Podcast keeps saying, "Hunter X Hunter is getting killed. It doesn't deserve this time slot. It is way too good for that."

I hope so.

As Paul of the Toonami Faithful Podcast keeps saying, "Hunter X Hunter is getting killed. It doesn't deserve this time slot. It is way too good for that."

I think the answer lies in Adult Swim's classic target demo, the Adults 18-34. Gundam Unicorn averaged a 308K (0.46) at 1 AM. Even compared to that, Tokyo Ghoul at 1 AM, despite a promising 408K (0.60) start, has been a special kind of stupid, failing to crack 300K (0.44) with 5 of its 8 episodes, and averaging 296K (0.43). Based on that, it should be a more attractive candidate for burial at 2 AM than its predecessor. Hell, I might even dare to move it down to 2 AM on 6/3 and let Gundam Unicorn retake 1:30 AM for its final 2 episodes.

Only problem there is either AOT S2 or Tokyo Ghoul stand to be replaced by JoJo Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, and even though it was pretty poor in the ratings at 12:30 AM with Part 2: Battle Tendency, dumping it at 2 AM would be a pretty shitty thing to do to it since it's a dub premiere, but it's either it, IBO S2, Hunter x Hunter, or Lupin. SOMETHING that's a dub premiere will be dumped at 2 UNLESS one of those shows manages to take the 11 PM timeslot (or midnight after moving the DB Hour up to 11/11:30) once Samurai Jack ends its summer rerun, and I'd say the best candidate for that is JoJo Part 3. But then again, Gundam Unicorn contained more stuff that Gundam is known for than IBO, and it's been an appalling disappointment in the ratings, so we don't know for SURE that JoJo once its famous Stands are introduced would do better. Plus we don't know for SURE that IBO S2 is coming either. I mean, I kinda HOPE it is, but given the fact that Unicorn has sullied Gundam's good name with a storyline that's tougher to follow than the news despite the best visuals of any show currently on Toonami, somehow I'm doubting it.

Hopefully some of these burning questions will be answered during Friday's Pre-Flight episode, which looks to be a simulcast of the panel at MomoCon!

I think the answer lies in Adult Swim's classic target demo, the Adults 18-34. Gundam Unicorn averaged a 308K (0.46) at 1 AM. Even compared to that, Tokyo Ghoul at 1 AM, despite a promising 408K (0.60) start, has been a special kind of stupid, failing to crack 300K (0.44) with 5 of its 8 episodes, and averaging 296K (0.43). Based on that, it should be a more attractive candidate for burial at 2 AM than its predecessor. Hell, I might even dare to move it down to 2 AM on 6/3 and let Gundam Unicorn retake 1:30 AM for its final 2 episodes.

Only problem there is either AOT S2 or Tokyo Ghoul stand to be replaced by JoJo Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, and even though it was pretty poor in the ratings at 12:30 AM with Part 2: Battle Tendency, dumping it at 2 AM would be a pretty shitty thing to do to it since it's a dub premiere, but it's either it, IBO S2, Hunter x Hunter, or Lupin. SOMETHING that's a dub premiere will be dumped at 2 UNLESS one of those shows manages to take the 11 PM timeslot (or midnight after moving the DB Hour up to 11/11:30) once Samurai Jack ends its summer rerun, and I'd say the best candidate for that is JoJo Part 3. But then again, Gundam Unicorn contained more stuff that Gundam is known for than IBO, and it's been an appalling disappointment in the ratings, so we don't know for SURE that JoJo once its famous Stands are introduced would do better. Plus we don't know for SURE that IBO S2 is coming either. I mean, I kinda HOPE it is, but given the fact that Unicorn has sullied Gundam's good name with a storyline that's tougher to follow than the news despite the best visuals of any show currently on Toonami, somehow I'm doubting it.Hopefully some of these burning questions will be answered during Friday's Pre-Flight episode, which looks to be a simulcast of the panel at MomoCon!

They have to announce SOMETHING at Momocon, I hope it's not a case of it originally supposed to be just Lupin, but TMS beat them to it!

I feel like Unicorn was a forced acquisition from Sunrise at this point in order to get Gundam. They must have had to have a multi show agreement. Theres no way they picked this up thinking it would do well with casuals, its way to hard to follow.

Mob Pyscho is the unknown quantity here. It topped the Demarco poll but has yet to show up despite #2 AND #3 now on the block. 

They probably are reassessing what they want to do wirh Gundam and Jojo. I'm almost positive Stardust and IBO2 are already paid for at this point. Now they just have to find where a good spot is. I think we are keeping the 11:00 slot with Jack as a placeholder for now in order to keep it for Toonami's use down the line when they need it.

Maybe Lupin was intended for MoMoCon the same way Parasyte was intended for SDCC before the damn food truck got in the way.

And, like I've said before, if they were going to air something new at 11:00, it would have been said prior to this. Because you can't just drop a new show announcement a week before it premieres at the top slot. Hitherto, it probably is the Jack rerun. That is what they might end up clarifying.

Or perhaps it could be a placeholder, like Brian said. Either way, I'm not going to hold my breath for Friday's panel.

At the Momo Con in 2015, they announced both Mitchiko and Hatchin which would come 3 weeks later AND Akame Ga Kill which wouldn't come until August. Depending on what other conventions they plan on doing this summer they mayor may not announce anything show wise. They could give us a better idea about when FLCL is coming or details about this year's TIE. I doubt they would announce a new show for next week there either. They may or may not announce what is happening after Titan which is in mid-late July.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see if they intend on rerunning ALL of Jack at 11. It's very possible a surprise show shifts the DB hour to 11 and the Jack rerun moves down. Toonami may not be wanting to give the 11:00 back to the fat man right now.

I've gone down this road before, but do you think they'd be crazy enough to premiere Rick and Morty Saturdays at 11? I seriously doubt that, but you never know. I think it would be better on Sundays personally.

Wow, that was fast!

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-snl-dwayne-johnson-katy-perry-nbc-registers-best-season-finale-viewership-six-years/

SNL killed the Toonami star...well what was left over after the NBA had its way, anyway!

TOTAL VIEWERS RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 866,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 1,654,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 1,458,000 (88.15%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 1,147,000 (78.67%)

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 1,040,000 (90.67%)

12:30 AM Attack on Titan Season 2 833,000 (80.10%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 649,000 (77.91%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 583,000 (89.83%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 504,000 (86.45%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 482,000 (95.63%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 405,000 (84.02%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 789,000

I think it's safe to say Family Guy has found its audience at 10:30 PM. Sure, it pales in comparison to how it was doing last year or the year before, but it would probably do more harm than good to play something else at 10 or 10:30 PM at this point, meaning Toonami keeps 11 PM for now. But I wish they would figure out SOMETHING better to play there than reruns of Samurai Jack. In terms of total viewers, Shippuden actually had the best retention, followed by Kai, Hunter, Jack, and Gundam was #5.

ADULTS 18-49 RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 428,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 894,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 865,000 (96.76%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 662,000 (76.53%)

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 615,000 (92.90%)

12:30 AM Attack on Titan Season 2 473,000 (76.91%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 383,000 (80.97%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 333,000 (86.95%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 285,000 (85.59%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 264,000 (92.63%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 233,000 (88.26%)

ADULTS 18-49 TOONAMI AVERAGE - 457,000

The 18-49 ratings actually tell a quite different story. Jack was the top retainer (though nowhere close to the ridiculous 120% we saw earlier this year), Kai 2nd, Shippuden 3rd, GITS 4th, and Hunter 5th. These ratings for the 2 AM hour are lowest for the year so far but at least it HAS been worse. Hellsing Ultimate III pulled a 273K at 2 AM (duration 1 hour), and the Gundam/Shippuden combo just barely edged that out at 274.5K, but of course the difference is viewers EXPECTED those shows in their respective timeslots from the previous week, while Hellsing had just gotten bumped up to 2 AM after taking a week off for the Batman marathon, and the only way viewers knew about it was from schedule bumps and menus. And of course, things have to get a LOT worse before they get to the level of 12/13/14 or 1/10/15, unholy megabombs that featured sub-250K ratings in those timeslots. But now that we get an HOUR of Reruns at 11 PM it just MIGHT happen! And GITS rating just proves Fighting Spirit won't be coming to Toonami anytime soon.

Both total viewers and Adults 18-49 were down 38% from last year (12-3:30), the largest year-to-year deficit to date. Comparing Toonami to Toonami, last week was down 24% from a year ago. All of Adult Swim was still down but not by as much (24% overall; 21% 18-49).

CURRENT SHOW AVERAGES

Total Viewers

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - 881,789 (19 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 1,361,100 (10 episodes)

Dragon Ball Super (11:30 PM) - 1,135,053 (19 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 1,030,900 (20 episodes)

Attack On Titan Season 2 - 837,800 (5 episodes)

Tokyo Ghoul - 737,000 (8 episodes)

Hunter × Hunter - 819,615 (52 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 671,000 (20 episodes)

Naruto: Shippuden - 854,318 (159 episodes)

Ghost In The Shell HD - 513,063 (16 episodes)

Adults 18-49

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM, Estimate) - 427,789 (19 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 853,700 (10 episodes)

Dragon Ball Super (11:30 PM) - 689,105 (19 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 623,600 (20 episodes)

Attack On Titan Season 2 - 500,400 (5 episodes)

Tokyo Ghoul - 456,125 (8 episodes)

Hunter × Hunter - 487,885 (52 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 407,000 (20 episodes)

Naruto: Shippuden - 474,047 (142 episodes)

Ghost In The Shell HD - 316,938 (16 episodes)

Adults 18-34 (Estimated)

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - 275,222 (18 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 569,500 (10 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 419,250 (20 episodes)

Attack On Titan Season 2 - 308,400 (5 episodes)

Tokyo Ghoul - 295,625 (8 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 274,800 (20 episodes)

Good job, Samurai Jack! You were just barely edged out by DBZ Kai (Prior to Final Chapters) in total viewers average (1,357,531) but you beat it in Adults 18-49 by a pretty wide margin! And its 569.5K average in 18-34 beats previous champ One Punch Man's 495K by a whopping 74.5K! Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, Gundam Unicorn at least manages to keep over 400K adults 18-49--for now at least. But with only 2 episodes left to go, it will take only an average of 330K for its last 2 weeks to avoid falling below that benchmark. And in adults 18-34, it's just struggling to get back over 275K at this point!

The averages stay frozen next week as in the year-to-year it's Samurai vs. Samurai! It may be the 4th time these episodes of Jack will play on [as], but adding in Champloo's overplaying in 2005-2007, I'd say it's got the freshness edge on it. For the first time this year, 2017's 12-3:30 AM average might actually beat 2016's Toonami block; It will be interesting to see what happens!

I don't think adult viewers not liking what's on CN for the most part is causing them to watch Adult Swim less, though I suppose it may play a factor in more Adult Swim viewers dropping cable. I also think the overall staleness of the Adult Swim's daily line-up is finally showing signs of losing people's interest. Despite that, Adult Swim remains #1 with their key demographics so most of the viewership loss may not have much to do with what Adult Swim is airing. Most people wont keep overpriced cable and a locked in contract with a satellite company just for a few channels, even if they still love Adult Swim it's not practical to pay that much just to be able to keep watching it when most of the shows are available in greater quantity for less money via streaming.

Cable companies are going to have to change their business model or they're going to go the way of Blockbuster.  Make cable cheaper, or make it so you just pay for the channels you want.  Do they not see what's happening right in front of their eyes?

I'm not big on HxH.... but sadly the current episodes are better than anything TG, Gundam and Super has to offer.

With Jack over it's nothing but crap after Kai, and GitS is a rerun.  I finally watched Seven Deadly Sins, which was great and acted as a panacea against the crapfest Toonami has been for a while.  Filled a bit of the void for me.  I suppose I have no choice, then.  I'm going to have to start watching more animes on my own again.  I can't depend on Toonami for good shows like I used to.  At least Lupin should be good.  It's upbeat and fun.  It will be a refreshing change from what else has been on.

I know what you mean Ben.  I have finally begun to admit to myself that currently, Toonami isn't exciting me anymore, save for a few shows. A few years ago I watched the whole block live every week, now I have half of it sitting on my DVR not watched. I'm not really really not Dragonball anymore, Gundam Unicorn lost me,  I've seen these Shippuden and GiTS episodes already. I mostly watch for Jack and HxH, but now one of those is gone. Lupin excites me a little though.

The atmosphere of the block (it's presentation) isn't to my liking much anymore either. I really miss "Now/Next/Later" because they were just part of what made Toonami Toonami. It felt like such a integral part of the presentation and made the block fun while showcasing a lot of good music.You can say Guides make them obsolete, but you can say the same thing with "Coming up Next" bumpers as well. The bumps aren't updated as much as they used to be I would also much prefer more goodies over the topicals we've been getting too. Just my thoughts.

With Jack over it's nothing but crap after Kai, and GitS is a rerun.  I finally watched Seven Deadly Sins, which was great and acted as a panacea against the crapfest Toonami has been for a while.  Filled a bit of the void for me.  I suppose I have no choice, then.  I'm going to have to start watching more animes on my own again.  I can't depend on Toonami for good shows like I used to.  At least Lupin should be good.  It's upbeat and fun.  It will be a refreshing change from what else has been on.

Hey see I told you that one was good back on the old boards, you didn't want to watch that one because Meliodas looked dorky =P

The bumps aren't updated as much as they used to be I would also much prefer more goodies over the topicals we've been getting too. Just my thoughts.

Didn't DeMarco say that narration is obsolete in promos, and now here they are using them in the AoT Season 2 topicals to the extent that they even give away plot points a week in advance?!?! :o

They should do Jack at 8pm instead of super the rating should skyrocket since cartoon Network used to show it

Actually, [adult swim] is doing that, but on Sundays. A full hour of S5 Jack alongside the existing Toonami rerun, and it starts this weekend.

Hey see I told you that one was good back on the old boards, you didn't want to watch that one because Meliodas looked dorky =P

I recommended it too, then again the Sins were far more interesting than the crew of Toonami shounens.

With Crunchyroll around $7 a month, it's not surprising people are using it in favor of Toonami.

Didn't DeMarco say that narration is obsolete in promos, and now here they are using them in the AoT Season 2 topicals to the extent that they even give away plot points a week in advance?!?! :o

Hey, that's what they get for airing a Broadcast Dub in the first place. :D

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic